IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

COMMON CORE IS NOT A MATH CURRICULUM 

it outlines what students should learn, not how

Cc includes all areas of study, not just math

Cc is replacing old outdated grade level expectations 

Cc was designed by experts in child development and education 

Cc means that now if you move from Nevada to California in 5th grade you aren't suddenly two years behind. Previously each state had its own set of standards making moving and even college more difficult for students from states with lower standards.

Cc is fucking amazing. Sorry that so many families and teachers are going through the growing pains. It's going to be okay. 

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

So true.  I split my time between the Seattle area and Tennessee, and when in Tennessee my PNW clothing makes me stand out in the crowd.  Over the years I am adapting, so now I look like a tourist in both locales.

I recently moved from the PNW to England. I figured its the same weather, so my Bogs boots and Marmot jacket are perfect, right?

Turns out I'm too close to London. Everybody here cares more about fashion than practicality. I am the only person I have seen with a Marmot jacket since moving here, other than a guy visiting for a day from Scotland. I look utterly out of place. Then I open my mouth and it's obvious why. Classless American! :( I do try to avoid anything that would reflect badly on America. But I just can't handle wet socks. I can't.

2 minutes ago, Charliemae said:

COMMON CORE IS NOT A MATH CURRICULUM 

it outlines what students should learn, not how

Cc includes all areas of study, not just math

Cc is replacing old outdated grade level expectations 

Cc was designed by experts in child development and education 

Cc means that now if you move from Nevada to California in 5th grade you aren't suddenly two years behind. Previously each state had its own set of standards making moving and even college more difficult for students from states with lower standards.

Cc is fucking amazing. Sorry that so many families and teachers are going through the growing pains. It's going to be okay. 

Also as a math person and an education person, CC will HELP your child learn math better. Math, especially higher math, isn't all algorithms and memorizing like we all learned in school. It is mostly intuition and problem solving. CC helps to teach math the way students see it in the real world and later in their math education. I see it a lot when kids reach calc. They want to use their memorization techniques, but there are so many different types of problems in calc that this method clearly fails. It's only the students who can learn to intuit on THEIR OWN or get outside help with tutors that succeed in calc.

I've seen so many complaints on Facebook about kids learning addition in a way that isn't put one number on top of the other and add down the columns, but by grouping in tens and parents saying "wtf is this shit?" only to have it explained to them and say "Ohhhh, that's how I add in my head!" 

EX: what's 8+5? We know 8+2 is 10. Once we take 2 away from 5, we get three. So 10+3=13.

Spelled out like this, it seems harder than say, counting on your fingers up to 13, but with bigger numbers it makes more sense, but they are starting with basic numbers in 1st grade so that when they reach numbers like 224+15 in later grades they can use the same methods.

220+15+4=220+19=239

My daughter's getting married in June and I just talked the cake lady at my hometown Piggly Wiggly into making the wedding cake for our reception.   She's the best ding-dang baker in 4 counties and we're damn lucky she's available.

On 1/25/2016 at 9:25 AM, HermioneSparrow said:

People don't understand allergies or intolerance at all. I'm allergic to bananas and once in college at a nutrition class the Professor almost made me eat one.. Last time I accidentally ate a little piece of banana, I had anaphylaxis. No one believes i'm allergic to them or think it's f--ing funny:pb_mad:

I'm also lactose intolerant and I can't drink milk, I can eat cheese and yogurt but milk is out of the question, I have to be super careful when my mom cooks for me because she thinks my intolerance is crap and I'm just annoying, since I developed the intolerance when I was a teenager...:my_dodgy: Not an easy life for people like me.

My daughter has some life threatening allergies. She came close to dying from an anaphylactic reaction once when she was 11 and has also had a few close calls in her adult life. It annoys me when people act as though parents are being "overprotective " of their kids when they are just trying to minimize certain risks to their life. And then there's the people that say shit like, "If a peanut butter sandwich can kill your kid then your kid isn't strong enough to survive life on the planet", or they get annoyed because their child doesn't get to eat a PB&J sandwich at school because of those damn allergy kids :/ 

I'm still a little hrrrmmmmm about the CC for some weirdness I see in the new standards for literature classes, but I'm hoping it's just "growing pains" as ya say.

1 hour ago, librarychick said:

If you want a taste is Southern-isms, check out the you tube channel Sh$t Southern Women Say. It is hysterical to me as a born and Bred Southern girl.  I have watched them over and over and practically cry every time from laughter.  And Yes, I have said just about every phrase they use. It is videos made by real Southern women stating  phrases that real Southern women use from time to time. And yes, it is snark worthy to most people outside of the south and totally true for most Southern girls whether they choose to admit it or not.  My personal favorite: hey y'all, how's ya mommanem? I think of these videos as a female version of Jeff Foxworthy's you might be a redneck. 

I love the fat, old, blonde one.  She is basically me.  

43 minutes ago, MyMilkshake said:

My daughter has some life threatening allergies. She came close to dying from an anaphylactic reaction once when she was 11 and has also had a few close calls in her adult life. It annoys me when people act as though parents are being "overprotective " of their kids when they are just trying to minimize certain risks to their life. And then there's the people that say shit like, "If a peanut butter sandwich can kill your kid then your kid isn't strong enough to survive life on the planet", or they get annoyed because their child doesn't get to eat a PB&J sandwich at school because of those damn allergy kids :/ 

PREACH.  I have a PA (actually lots of food allergies) kid, and it infuriates me that people can be so goddamned insensitive about it.   That is not to say that I, and my son, don't have the responsibility to be vigiliant on our own.  I just get rankled when it is implied that my vigilance is overprotecdtiveness, or some sort of OCD type of disordered behavior.  Fortunately, food allergies are so common now, people are starting to get it.   

1 hour ago, librarychick said:

If you want a taste is Southern-isms, check out the you tube channel Sh$t Southern Women Say. It is hysterical to me as a born and Bred Southern girl.  I have watched them over and over and practically cry every time from laughter.  And Yes, I have said just about every phrase they use. It is videos made by real Southern women stating  phrases that real Southern women use from time to time. And yes, it is snark worthy to most people outside of the south and totally true for most Southern girls whether they choose to admit it or not.  My personal favorite: hey y'all, how's ya mommanem? I think of these videos as a female version of Jeff Foxworthy's you might be a redneck. 

OMG! Thanks for the heads up. I love it! living on the Indiana/Kentucky border I too have said or heard most of those phrases my entire life. :tw_grin: (and continue to do so)

@Charliemae and @sophie10130, I'm glad you both posted that about Common Core.  I remember posting something last year on FJ about how Common Core math would teach kids how to think through math problems and thus would make them better at math ultimately.  I can well remember the freakout that people had about "new" math more than 50 years ago.  This  freakout is the same thing.

Hermionesparrow 

I'm also allergic to bananas !

No one believed me for years, just laughed and told me no way.

The almost instant headaches are awful as is the nausea and vomiting.

It's not fun as bananas are included in a lot of baked products also in juices.

8 hours ago, Alicja said:

I don't think Michigan has many stereotypes? The only one I can think of is our obnoxious, nasally vowels (I'm looking at you, Rick Snyder) in the LP and our pseudo-Canadian accents in the UP.

Oh, and those shitty Detroit jokes. 

Spent my childhood in the UP--Michigan stereotypes are mostly self-imposed:  Yooper  and troll jokes.

In regards to CC, I'm just glad I live in Nebraska.  We are one of only a handful of states that did not adopt it.  Now I won't have to learn math all over again in order to help my kids.  

As for why we need to help our children with their homework?  Because it is ultimately MY responsibility to see that my kids are learning.  Not the school's responsibility, nor the teacher's.  Mine.  I'm the parent.

This conversation is the first I have ever heard of Zika.  I'm sure it will have zero effect on the birthing of babies in the Duggar clan.  Life is life.  And frankly, I'm surprised they have not had to deal with special needs beyond micro-preemie Josie.  They need a special needs poster child.

1 hour ago, sj3339sta said:

They need a special needs poster child.

Shivers down my spine! That poor child. Let's hope none of them actually have a special needs child, unless they are willing to help that child achieve their potential. I've seen no evidence that they would step up, but there's always a chance...

6 hours ago, Hera said:

This would detract from their all important work of explaining about Jesus to Catholics.

They don't want any one to know since they are around ebil ebil gangs and things like that. Or they are back in Arkansas.

No matter where they are they are still grifting and doing nothing substantially to actually help people.

4 hours ago, missegeno said:

I recently moved from the PNW to England. I figured its the same weather, so my Bogs boots and Marmot jacket are perfect, right?

Turns out I'm too close to London. Everybody here cares more about fashion than practicality. I am the only person I have seen with a Marmot jacket since moving here, other than a guy visiting for a day from Scotland. I look utterly out of place. Then I open my mouth and it's obvious why. Classless American! :( I do try to avoid anything that would reflect badly on America. But I just can't handle wet socks. I can't.

What's wrong with Marmot jackets? They look perfectly respectable to me. But of course there's an episode of Sherlock where a minor plot point is how stupid those hats with bobbles hanging from them are, and how a person who wears one obviously has no friends. And I am at this very moment wearing a very similar hat. :P

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Charliemae and @sophie10130, I'm glad you both posted that about Common Core.  I remember posting something last year on FJ about how Common Core math would teach kids how to think through math problems and thus would make them better at math ultimately.  I can well remember the freakout that people had about "new" math more than 50 years ago.  This  freakout is the same thing.

You know that Tom Lehrer song about the new math? While intellectually I understand the joke, the humor pretty much falls flat for me because that's how I learned math and the lyrics make perfect sense to me. Even the part that's in base 8!

I love my Marmot jacket. But everyone here wears stylish leather jackets. Which I don't understand because it rains a lot and I don't imagine they all care for it properly.

I did ask my daughter (a nurse/labor and delivery) what kind of information they were getting about the FIKA virus. She is also considering becoming pregnant. She has just started to see a pick up of information in the last couple of weeks. The cases in Florida seem to have come from people who traveled and not mosquitos. They all have been warned once it warms up whether they are trying to expand their family or not, to take heavy duty protection precautions during mosquito season.

4 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Hermionesparrow 

I'm also allergic to bananas !

No one believed me for years, just laughed and told me no way.

The almost instant headaches are awful as is the nausea and vomiting.

It's not fun as bananas are included in a lot of baked products also in juices.

Really? Allergy buddies yay! Lol tell me about it, i'll never try banana bread :( a lot of things have bananas but i'm used to it so it's alright.

28 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:
28 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

The cases in Florida seem to have come from people who traveled and not mosquitos.

It might be more accurate to say that women who traveled were bitten by mosquitoes during their travels.

(Sorry I messed up the quote function. A mosquito made me do it.)

5 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Also as a math person and an education person, CC will HELP your child learn math better. Math, especially higher math, isn't all algorithms and memorizing like we all learned in school. It is mostly intuition and problem solving. CC helps to teach math the way students see it in the real world and later in their math education. I see it a lot when kids reach calc. They want to use their memorization techniques, but there are so many different types of problems in calc that this method clearly fails. It's only the students who can learn to intuit on THEIR OWN or get outside help with tutors that succeed in calc.

I've seen so many complaints on Facebook about kids learning addition in a way that isn't put one number on top of the other and add down the columns, but by grouping in tens and parents saying "wtf is this shit?" only to have it explained to them and say "Ohhhh, that's how I add in my head!" 

EX: what's 8+5? We know 8+2 is 10. Once we take 2 away from 5, we get three. So 10+3=13.

Spelled out like this, it seems harder than say, counting on your fingers up to 13, but with bigger numbers it makes more sense, but they are starting with basic numbers in 1st grade so that when they reach numbers like 224+15 in later grades they can use the same methods.

220+15+4=220+19=239

Please tell this to the parents that are bitching. Common core is awesome. It's suppose to prepare kids for college. I mean there are 18,19,20 year olds that can't do basic math or fractions

19 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

That's so odd to me since Publix is headquartered and was founded in FL.
Publix was our neighborhood grocery store in the 60's & 70's.  I have great memories as a kid.  I saw quite a few C & D list celebs in there too since the local dinner theater was next door.  Gavin McLeod was a total dick to me when I was 10. :)  

Yeah, I know it is a Florida chain. I think that is why they are kind of average.  There are a lot of oldish stores, and they are sometimes in competition with newer stores from chains that are trying harder to get the customers.  Near where my mom used to live in Miami, the nicer store was, of all things, Winn Dixie.  The Publix was kind of "ho hum." But in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee all the Publixes seem to be newer and have more variety that the competition.  (Note: I have been to some great Publixes in the Miami area and other FL locations. But they are not uniformly outstanding in the places I have visited in Florida the way they seem to be elsewhere.)

I'm lucky that I don't have any life-threatening allergies, but I do have hypersensitivity. To just about everything. I just have really weird, unpredictable reactions. I've been allergy tested, but every springtime, just when it started to warm up, I would get blisters on my ears, my lips would swll up, and my face would break out in hives. No idea what did it. When the doctors gave me prednisone, I pulled all the side effects of that (there are a lot) which inflicted me with a different kind of misery.

I decided to drink some marigold tea with my friend once. I started feeling extremely goofy, was completely out of it, I thought she had put something in it... Later, I remembered marigold is a weed and I'm severely allergic to ragweed - guess what marigold's related to? the marigold tea ended up having the same effects as weed would have on me (when in reality, weed has a much harder effect on me - melting skulls, up is down and down is up and left is right and i'm hanging from the ceiling by my face because the carpet is the ceiling, someone's coming to get me, now i'm screaming-effect)

And even though I've never had major surgery, every time I've been put under, I've woken up. And that's scary as shit - I really hope I never have to have major surgery.

I'm also lactose intolerant - can't have anything except for maybe butter on my toast. Gluten-intolerant too, but I put up with it because I'm not ready to give it up yet, lol. Also severely allergic to cinnamon, which is a weird one.

As a STEM person, CC makes way more sense to me. I've never been a math person, but I've grown to love it because I finally understand it. I wish I would've been taught that way. Seems much more intuitive, like others have said. You're learning it instead of memorizing it.

I am a million pages behind over here.

But I was just looking at the Duggar blog that showed all 9 of Izzy's monthly photos. And okay...I am one of the first ones to balk at posts "diagnosing" people with various diseases or disorders or whatever....

BUT....I seriously think it's possible that Izzy could have torticollis. My son had this at birth. Likely from the way he was positioned in my uterus. We noticed it on his 2nd day of life because he never turned his head left of midline. One of the big indicators of torticollis is a head tilt to one direction. I noticed Israel had this in almost all of his monthly photos. I thought it could just be a coincidence. So I googled. Sure enough, his head seems to tilt that way in most of his pictures. I'm not diagnosing him, of course. Maybe that's just the way he looks. But if these were photos of one of my relatives' kid...I'd probably tell them to ask their doctor about it.

If he by some chance would have it, I doubt they'd ever do anything for him though. My son was in physical therapy for it from 2 months old to about 8 months old. We did tons of exercises with him at home. And we had to make sure to hold him certain ways and position him certain ways when he slept. Thankfully because of all of our efforts...it's pretty much gone now. And we didn't end up needing to get him a helmet for plagiocephaly (thankfully I see no signs of that with Izzy.) I know someone else who basically chose to ignore her child's torticollis. He is a toddler now and his head is still a big oddly shaped, he still has a tilt, and I think it has caused some eye problems.

Anyway....just wondering if anyone else here had a child with torticollis and if so, did you notice the tilt with Izzy's head? It seems like people who have a child with this are hyper-aware of it in photos. I remember when my son was a baby I mentioned PT on Facebook and a friend from high school sent me a PM asking if it was torticollis because she noticed his tilt in photos.

Okay...no more rambling. Bring on the flames since I am mentioning a medical condition. Ha!

I don't hate the South, I've visted many wonderful cities there, but I do get annoyed with the excuses people make because "Oh, it' just The South." Like the Confederate flag being "Southern pride" or "Ain't Got None is a Southern saying" even though it's completely butchering the English language.

Butchering the English language isn't just a Southern thing.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived