IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

Publix is ok but my favorite stores are Trader Joe's and a funny little market around the corner called Big Bear.

Our neighborhood Big Bear (love the name!) is a quirky little store.  They don't have a big selection but they have an interesting clientele and I always come home with a story when I shop there.

They have bags of kaolin clay for sale near the produce section.  It's labeled as a novelty item but I have a suspicion it might be for people with pica. :o

They have bottles of "Indian Yellow Root" which I think is some kind of cure-all.  They have jars of something called "Old Timer's Syrup".  I have no idea what that is for and I hope I never find out. ;)

I love the south.  Even grocery shopping is an adventure. :)

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

I'm a Publix lover, too. I love to cook and if I can't find the type of meat I need, I can talk it over w/their butchers.

And often he will ask "what I are you going to do w/that?"

I'm just outside of Atlanta; see my avatar.

<--------

Just outside of Atlanta here too!

3 hours ago, Piano gal said:

My grandmother always called Piggly Wiggly the "Hoggly Woggly". 

How long does Zika last as a possibly transmittable infection?

I believe it's not transmittable from person to person. Someone has to be bitten by a mosquito that varies the virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/transmission/index.html

I just read what the CDC states and there's a possibility it can be transmitted through bodily fluids, but there is not enough evidence to give a definitive answer.

Where is the damn common core conversation??? Can someone just kill me now? 6th grade geometry is going to kill me or my grand daughter! Yikes!

I just have to state that the Duggars were NEVER poor.  JB spent $100,000 dollars of his own money running for public office years before TLC was in the picture.  He chose, he CHOSE to raise his family in squalor and feed his children like feed lot cattle.  He had plenty of money for what was important to him, while his kids did without good food, books, and the space they needed.  Don't attribute their early diet to poverty.  It wasn't poverty, it was a choice.

My apologies for the bold, I've tried to fix it but can't.

5 hours ago, AreteJo said:

I just have to state that the Duggars were NEVER poor.  JB spent $100,000 dollars of his own money running for public office years before TLC was in the picture.  He chose, he CHOSE to raise his family in squalor and feed his children like feed lot cattle.  He had plenty of money for what was important to him, while his kids did without good food, books, and the space they needed.  Don't attribute their early diet to poverty.  It wasn't poverty, it was a choice.

Wrong.  He spent $250,000 on a failed campaign for the Senate.  He had no chance of winning the election and didn't even win the primary.

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

Where is the damn common core conversation??? Can someone just kill me now? 6th grade geometry is going to kill me or my grand daughter! Yikes!

Oh my God!.  The first year we had nightly tears with the homework. It's just so much easier to do this stuff the old way. I'm not a luddite but common core just is so convoluted and you end up at the same place either way you do it. When your kid knows the answer and gets so frustrated with the process it's torturous. The second year we told the new teacher about the problems and she said she had to take classes to learn it so she didn't expect us to know how. Having a teacher who was dedicated to making sure her students actually got it made a huge difference. I still hate it though.

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:

Wrong.  He spent $250,000 on a failed campaign for the Senate.  He had no chance of winning the election and didn't even win the primary.

And Mechelle allowed it. While remaining cheerfully available.

2 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

But Jim Bob did hold public office before that. He was in the Arkansas House of Representatives before he ran for Senate.

@jcanglin991 We finally figured it out, the old way. If her teacher has issues, she can see me about it...lol. Even the third grader is giving me a run for my money and I am not a stupid person. The bigger question is why is it me that is doing homework? Oh yeah, their dad is taking his own classes and has his own homework, which happen to be in my area of expertise....God help me!

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

But Jim Bob did hold public office before that. He was in the Arkansas House of Representatives before he ran for Senate.

According to locals and his colleagues,not very successfully- he rarely showed up according to some and often had a child in tow.

31 minutes ago, jcanglin991 said:

Oh my God!.  The first year we had nightly tears with the homework. It's just so much easier to do this stuff the old way. I'm not a luddite but common core just is so convoluted and you end up at the same place either way you do it. When your kid knows the answer and gets so frustrated with the process it's torturous. The second year we told the new teacher about the problems and she said she had to take classes to learn it so she didn't expect us to know how. Having a teacher who was dedicated to making sure her students actually got it made a huge difference. I still hate it though.

I am just thrilled to hear that helping with grandchildren's homework is not the happy place for all I expected it to be. The first time I got questions I had to call my daughter at work and ask what on earth was my granddaughter learning or trying to do!

I will say the comments made on this site has helped me understand it a great deal and the "whys" of it all. But, there are still some afternoons it takes both myself and my husband to help her! It is not out most shining moments as grandparents. But, when she has to do craft projects WE ROCK as we use all my scrapbooking stuff and go to town. :my_biggrin:

Yep, we rock the poster boards, book reports and dioramas. The girls school requires a book report (written) with an accompanying artsy craftsy component and memorizing a poem each quarter. We even did a "wax museum" project a couple of months ago. Choose a character, have a written report, a one minute speech and dress as the character. Then all the other classes and parents came and toured the "museum". I don't remember this much creativity with my boys when they were in school. But these are the fun things. Who needs math, English, History and Geography when you can read and book and do arts and crafts :my_biggrin:

13 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Yep, we rock the poster boards, book reports and dioramas. The girls school requires a book report (written) with an accompanying artsy craftsy component and memorizing a poem each quarter. We even did a "wax museum" project a couple of months ago. Choose a character, have a written report, a one minute speech and dress as the character. Then all the other classes and parents came and toured the "museum". I don't remember this much creativity with my boys when they were in school. But these are the fun things. Who needs math, English, History and Geography when you can read and book and do arts and crafts :my_biggrin:

Yep I'm all for the arts and crafts too. Although my right hand is in a cast atm haha!!!

Oh yeah, the artsy stuff is my favorite. I can even get into the essays because my degree is in political science and  I can spin like you wouldn't believe. I call it my B.A. in B.S. Unfortunately the kid wants to be a neurosurgeon so she needs to master the  the math and science as well. She loves science, though, it's the math that kills us.

She's promised to take care of me in my old age, with my own wing attached to her house. I'll have private nurses and a pool. Oh and a Jaguar to drive. Not sure how much use I'll get out of the jag and the pool if I need private nurses, but we'll see. Her heart's in the right place.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

According to locals and his colleagues,not very successfully- he rarely showed up according to some and often had a child in tow.

That's interesting, but completely beside the point, which is that he had been spending money on his own political career long before his failed Senate run.

6 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I think Publix is fairly average. Living in FL they are everywhere, but some are better than others.  They are quite consistent, which is good.  I loved when I lived in the midwest and could go to Pick & Save.  Shoot me, but I go to Walmart for groceries usually.  The prices are the best and I usually get a few bucks back each week by submitting my reciept and they automatically compare prices to other stores in my area.

The Publix chain in Florida IS pretty average.  But it seems to be outstanding every where else I have been.

Every time I hear of Zika on NPR it makes me think of Jill and Derrick.  A few unconnected thoughts:

*someone on my FB posted an article about Zika today, and they had 2 or 3 comments from people who hadn't yet heard of it.  I was surprised since this is one of the big NPR stories every morning, but I guess if you don't get your news there a lot of the networks aren't making a big deal of it yet.

*Jill and Derrick could totally redeem themselves by using Jill's interest in midwifery and their (ahem) new Spanish language skills to teach Guatemalans about birth control (aaha ha ha ha ha ha ha...)

*not so much Duggar-related, but based on a story I heard this morning on NPR, I'm wondering if, long-term, Zika will serve to open up more Central and South American countries to birth control and legal abortion.

*Jill getting pregnant in the next few months and not having a microcephalic baby will just increase their smugness about being God's chosen people.

*I'm really glad that I'm too old for more babies and my kids aren't yet at that stage of life.  (The mosquitoes that carry Zika are found where I live).  

*Just wondering more about how the infection works... I'm sure they'll figure this bit out soon if they haven't already... but like, what months of pregnancy is it the most dangerous?  All of them?  Just the first few?  Etc.  

Okay, that was a random dump :-). 

I adore Publix, which I call Pube-licks.  Heh.  My boyfriend is a chump, and he shops at Whole Foods.  I have also, however, been known to frequent Aldi because DEALZ.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

That's interesting, but completely beside the point, which is that he had been spending money on his own political career long before his failed Senate run.

It certainly highlights how lazy JB was/ is and the type of work ethic he modeled for his family.

In hindsight, what a waste of a nice nest egg.

Lazy and dumb is a lousy combination.

I wouldn't wish this disease (or any disease) on anyone, especially a pregnant woman.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived