IGNORED

Bates Family Part 7

Boogalou

Since I am completely cynical about all things Bates, my thoughts were that this was another loosely scripted scene to try and make people think they aren't like the Duggars. The infamous "lego" talk just made people feel the Duggars are freaks, while this one gave the opposite impression. A truer picture of the Bates is that Gil and Kelly are strong believers in Ezzo's Reflections on Moral Purity which is all about keeping girls/women "innocent" until right before they get married, but they aren't going to bring that up on the show because it would make them look like Duggar freaks. 

And I kind of felt sorry for Michealla because she seemed a bit uncomfortable walking in to find them discussing her sex life on television. 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I don't know if any Bateseses are going to make it to DC for Friday's anti-choice march, if it is already snowing at their home in Rocky Top. They will have to basically race the snowstorm all the way up through the Blue Ridge Mountains tomorrow. They might make it to DC, but they may end up stuck here for several days.

Although maybe Nathan won't mind if his semi-secret girlfriend Ashley comes down from NYC to join him.

There is snow on top of ice in DC this morning. It will only get worse.

In the picture of Erin with her hair in the ponytail, I could really see a lot of Michael in her.  First time I noticed it. 

I think Michael has grown up so much in the last couple of years.  Remember how she didn't want to be in Erin's wedding because she doesn't like any attention?  Yet she has been featured on BUB's (even carrying some shows) a lot in last season and this season too.  I don't think she could have done this two years ago.  Finding Brandon gave her a lot of confidence.  Or maybe having a brother and two sisters get married before her. 

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

And I kind of felt sorry for Michealla because she seemed a bit uncomfortable walking in to find them discussing her sex life on television. 

Seriously.  So gross.  

Michael-uhhh seemed super ready to hit it, if you ask me, and good for her.  I really, really, really hope Brandon is not as gay as he seems.  

Eh, I think it was just some good-natured teasing between sisters. I'm kind of surprised the younger girls were talking about it too, but the conversation seemed unstaged to me.

I noticed Jana seemed to be avoiding the camera in that one scene. It's probably nothing considering it's a two minute clip, but it made me wonder if UP requested that her screen time be minimized. Of course, it's also possible Jana wanted to limit it herself.

37 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Michael-uhhh seemed super ready to hit it, if you ask me, and good for her.  I really, really, really hope Brandon is not as gay as he seems.  

hahaha... i think this, too. idk whether he just comes across as one of those nerdy/shy types or if he just wants to be friends with michael. this is why i think they haven't announced a blessing yet. he's a slow and steady wins the race guy and having a kid right away and having a bunch of them doesn't seem like what he wants even if his wife clearly does.

"not tonight michael, i have a headache..."

I just thought of something... we all know the oldest four Duggar girls went through a crunchy curly hair stage... but I don't think the Bateseseseses did.

Sorry for the random comment. 

11 hours ago, Iokaste said:

It was so refreshing to hear sex referred to as something fun and normal, and not some sort of half-sacramental acticity, as something to be a little giddy about and not something to be awaited with reverence and offered up as a worship practice.

I almost wanted to be a Bates for a second, then I remembered who they are and what organisation they belong to...

I'm just shocked to hear the UNmarried ones talk about it! I would think the married ones would giggle about it on their own outside of the chaste ears of the single sisters. I wonder if when the cameras are gone they are even more candid.

Also, did anyone else get the feeling that Michael didn't know what to expect at all for the wedding night? The way she said she wasn't nervous at all seemed as though she didn't quite know what they were talking about.

4 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I definitely get that vibe, too - although the first few times I saw Chad Paine I wondered why Erin was with the gay guy, so I'm definitely not always right. But Brandon? Couldn't be less interested as far as I could see.

I feel so bad for the LGBTQ children born into these families.

Whitney posted on Instagram.  She's showing a baby bump, is at 18 weeks, and said gender and name coming soon.

I'm not ready to guess the gender, but I think the baby's name will end with the same "ee" sound as the rest of them.

16 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I agree about that video, it was refreshingly candid and relatable. i'm surprised they had it in the show, really.. especially when erin said "the whole shebang". imagine if that was on 19kac.

If it had been on 19KAC we would have heard Gil standing in the doorway of Michael's future bedroom saying "And this is where my grandbabies will be made."

I was trying really hard to understand what the girls were saying when they were giggling. Did Erin say that Michael wasn't nervous about the wedding night because she had read an encyclopedia? Or am I just crazy? 

I was trying really hard to understand what the girls were saying when they were giggling. Did Erin say that Michael wasn't nervous about the wedding night because she had read an encyclopedia? Or am I just crazy? 

I heard that too - it seemed like Michael had made reference to reading about sex in an encyclopedia in the past and that she knew what it was all about (who knows if this was 6 months ago or 10 years ago) and Erin kept teasing her about it.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Whitney posted on Instagram.  She's showing a baby bump, is at 18 weeks, and said gender and name coming soon.

I'm not ready to guess the gender, but I think the baby's name will end with the same "ee" sound as the rest of them.

That picture you're referring to is one of the most beautiful of her I've seen. 

ETA:  And in my mid fifties, I constantly look like I'm at the end of my second trimeter.  :NAWAK:

46 minutes ago, SunnySideUp said:

I heard that too - it seemed like Michael had made reference to reading about sex in an encyclopedia in the past and that she knew what it was all about (who knows if this was 6 months ago or 10 years ago) and Erin kept teasing her about it.

What a defrauding encyclopedia. lol

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

I'm just shocked to hear the UNmarried ones talk about it! I would think the married ones would giggle about it on their own outside of the chaste ears of the single sisters. I wonder if when the cameras are gone they are even more candid.

Agreed. Anna Duggar made it seem as though she was kept in the dark until a few weeks before her wedding. When Kelley and Gil were counseling Brandon and Michael, I thought Kelly hurriedly mentioned they wouldn't talk about the physical aspect of marriage until closer to the wedding. Didn't Brandon and Michael also have books with chapters that Kelley said not to look at until closer to the wedding?

I'm so excited for tonight's episode just to get a full grasp on this scene and to see how much of Jana Duggar gets shown. 

29 minutes ago, moreorlessnu said:

Agreed. Anna Duggar made it seem as though she was kept in the dark until a few weeks before her wedding. When Kelley and Gil were counseling Brandon and Michael, I thought Kelly hurriedly mentioned they wouldn't talk about the physical aspect of marriage until closer to the wedding. Didn't Brandon and Michael also have books with chapters that Kelley said not to look at until closer to the wedding?

Yes. But, we don't know when they did read about physical aspect. She may have finished the book recently and girls knew and they may have wondered was she nervous still.

I like Michael's innocence. Her mind was not on the sex part or even concern about the sex part.

Hey, encyclopedias were all we had until we had the Internet. And didn't one of the boys, when the Bates' were first introduced on what was then 17 Kids and Counting, say they got to go to the library? Maybe she did get fascinated when she was studying something else that starts with S and the next letter was E; you get the point.

I also get the feeling she didn't want to talk about it on camera, so she quickly said she's not nervous in hopes that they'd drop it and go back to candle-making. Then again, maybe she wasn't nervous at the moment, but it hit her later, like she kept saying "this is really happening".

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Yes. But, we don't know when they did read about physical aspect. She may have finished the book recently and girls knew and they may have wondered was she nervous still.

I like Michael's innocence. Her mind was not on the sex part or even concern about the sex part.

Either that, or her mind was saying "yesss, bring it on"

I barely saw Jana during the candle making scene, though I admit I wasn't paying full attention to the episode.  Got a peek at half of her face at one point.  Definitely got the sense that she was being kept, or was keeping herself, away from the camera.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived