IGNORED

Bates Family Part 7

Boogalou

Brandon's fall on the ice looked bad.  Good thing he didn't end up with a concussion. There were 2 female skaters in leggings doing some spins and spirals on the ice with the guys.  Lawson said he never saw anyone skate like that other than at the Olympics.  He gets to watch women skate in their defrauding skate dresses during the Olympics?  Looks like next week will be a compilation episode of Brandon and MIchael's courtship and engagement.  Their greatest hits.  So another 2 weeks before they show us the wedding I guess.  Does anyone know how many episodes there will be this season?

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sunshine said:

Yes. But, we don't know when they did read about physical aspect. She may have finished the book recently and girls knew and they may have wondered was she nervous still.

I like Michael's innocence. Her mind was not on the sex part or even concern about the sex part.

I really got the impression that Michaela just wanted Brandon, with more of Jill's blind devotion than Jessa's unbridled lust. She really married him for companionship and stability and her ideal of love, rather than sex, I think. That said, I hope for her sake that the sex is okay and she's happy.

10 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I barely saw Jana during the candle making scene, though I admit I wasn't paying full attention to the episode.  Got a peek at half of her face at one point.  Definitely got the sense that she was being kept, or was keeping herself, away from the camera.

I have a feeling Jana was trying not to be on camera herself. Because every time she was on the camera guys didn't try to switch views or look at someone else. She was in 3 scenes from what I remember. In one, I only noticed her because of her floral top. She was cleaning the floor or something. 

8 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Brandon's fall on the ice looked bad.  Good thing he didn't end up with a concussion. There were 2 female skaters in leggings doing some spins and spirals on the ice with the guys.  Lawson said he never saw anyone skate like that other than at the Olympics.  He gets to watch women skate in their defrauding skate dresses during the Olympics?  Looks like next week will be a compilation episode of Brandon and MIchael's courtship and engagement.  Their greatest hits.  So another 2 weeks before they show us the wedding I guess.  Does anyone know how many episodes there will be this season?

My first thought was damn look at those boys flirt hard. I was so proud of their momentary non fundie ways. Lawson keeps making references to Olympics and Football and musicians. Where is that boy getting it all from? He's not as fundie as he wants people to believe. I can see him pull an Alyssa. Plus he gets way more freedom because of his money and he's a boy.

Then I saw Brandon bleeding and really hoped he didn't have a concussion. It looked so bad.

Preview of the next episode:

There's 13 episodes this season.

Here's a link to the press release: http://presscontent.uptv.com/assets/programs/Bringing-Up-Bates-HVWFOGZG/materials/UP%20-%20Bringing%20Up%20Bates%20-%20All-New%20Season%203%20-%20FINAL.pdf

Here's how to make the candles seen on the episode last night from Bates Family Blog - Homemade Candle "How To". Link: http://uptv.com/blog/bringing-up-bates-blog/bates-family-blog-homemade-candle-how-to/

Spoiler

What You Will Need

6 lb. bag of natural soy wax flakes (6 cups soy wax flakes = 3 cups melted wax)

2 oz. fragrance oil or essential oil (rule of thumb is 1 oz. per lb. of wax) (NOTE: We used a Cherry Blossom fragrance.)

Wicks with clips, 9″ long

12 – 4oz canning jars (able to withstand heat)

Adhesive for wicks (or you can also use double-sided tape)

Fork to hold wick upright while drying

Large glass measuring cup (microwaveable)

Coloring dye

Steps

Place adhesives on the bottom of each wick base using adhesive or double-sided tape.

Remove lids from the canning jars (make sure to use canning jars that withstand heat) and place a wick with its adhesive in the bottom of each jar.

Pour soy wax flakes into a large, glass measuring cup.

Microwave the flakes for 60 seconds. If the flakes are not melted into liquid, put them in for another 30 seconds until melted.

Put in a few drops of color, along with a few drops of scented oil into the wax, stirring with a metal spoon.

Place a drop of the colored wax on a piece of paper and let it dry to test the color — wax will always dry a much lighter color, so it’s important to test the drop of wax first. (NOTE: We used red dye with the goal of making pink candles – as you know, the candles looked a bright orange, but when the wax cooled and hardened, it became a really lovely pale pink. That wax test on the paper will help you make sure you have the correct color and scent.)

Reheat the wax in the microwave if need be, then pour the melted wax into a jar.  To keep the wick in correct position, you can lay a fork over the top of the jar so the tines hold the wick in place upright.

Carefully pour wax into each jar up to the height you would like, then set aside to cool.

Repeat for any additional jars and wax you have.

Once candles are dry, take a pair scissors and cut the wick so approximately 1/2″ wick is showing.

Decorate jars with ribbon or twine. These candles make great gifts, you can put the lid back on each one and tie the ribbon around the top in a bow.

Here's the recap from Lily and Ellie:

Spoiler

Bringing Up Bates "15 Kids and an Empty Nest"...

Brandon arrives in Tennessee, and the wedding week begins! When asked if he is ready to get married, the groom-to-be responds: "I don't know if people would say I'm ready, but I'm wanting to get married."

"It hasn't been too stressful, with all of the people that have been helping out," says Michael.

Gil accompanies the couple to purchase their marriage license at the courthouse. "Do you have other children?" the clerk asks Gil. "Oh yes ma'am," Gil replies. "We're going to be down to a manageable size I think. We're only going to have 15 kids at home." The clerk drops her scissors in shock.

Before transferring their attention to wedding preparations, Gil and Kelly take the little kids on a special rollerskating outing at a local park. "Everybody's a good skater but Mom," says Kelly. "I'm the only one." She hangs on to Gil for dear life as he takes her around the park. "This is fun," says Gil. "No, this is not fun," replies Kelly."

While racing with the boys, Gil takes a few tumbles but doesn't sustain any injuries.

Meanwhile, the older boys take Brandon on an outing of his choice. He picks the Knoxville Ice Chalet. "We have done very little ice skating," admits Lawson. "We love rollerblading and [we are] decent at that, but when it comes to ice, it's a total different ballgame."

Just when the boys start feeling comfortable on the ice, they are faced with some competition. "I was getting good at it, and then these two girls came out," says Lawson. "They started doing this stuff that, hey, I ain't seen nothing like that except in the Olympics."

The girls attempt to teach the boys a few tricks. Brandon elects to play it safe and not participate, but he ends up skating over a puddle of water and wiping out. Although he bleeds quite a bit, the gash to the head that he sustains could have been much worse. The staff members bring out first aid supplies and help Brandon off the ice.

"It wasn't as bad as it looked, but I will say this: Nobody wants to have a big bandage on their head on their wedding day," says Nathan.

"I really think Michael is going to kill us, Nathan," says Trace. Lawson buys Brandon a cowboy hat to hide the injury. 

"We are all cowboys," says Lawson. "It's just who we are. Brandon is not a cowboy. He's a Yankee, all the way. And I thought, 'Man, what better gift to get him than a cowboy hat?'"

Michael hears about the ordeal before Brandon returns to the house and says she is "beyond panicked." She is relieved to find out that her husband-to-be has only sustained a minor injury.

The sisters and bridesmaids, including Jana Duggar, gather at Erin's house for girl talk and candle making. The gals are surprised to hear that Michael is not nervous about the wedding or the wedding night.

Later, Gil and Kelly, Erin and Chad, and Michael and Brandon enjoy dinner at Calhoun's on the River. "There is no way to put into words the emotions that I have been through this week," says Michael, as she balances the sorrows of leaving her family with the thrills of starting a new adventure with Brandon.  

Source: http://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2016/01/recap-15-kids-and-empty-nest.html

If anyone wants to see the girl skaters discussed above. Here they are:

bates-303-gallery-11.jpg

Erin talked about her John Duggar trashed out get away car on last nights episode.

Said it smelled like tuna and moth balls and she and Chad were trying to learn how to kiss. 

I thought Whitney and Erin's reaction to whether Michael was nervous or not was strange.  While the camera is showing Michael in the kitchen melting wax in the microwave, a voice says, "Do you think she is nervous?" (Probably Whitney.)    And then a voice says, "Wouldn't you be?"  (Probably Erin.)    Then the camera shows Whitney laughing and she just says, "Yeah".    No discussion of personal experience of how she felt the week before she married Zach.  Erin didn't offer up any personal feelings at that time either.  Only later when she did a talking head with just her and Carson out in the front yard did she share that she was nervous about the kiss and then the whole shebang later. 

Maybe it is out of respect for the younger girls that were in the room, but perhaps they aren't allowed to share any personal feelings about sex etc. 

6 minutes ago, doubleT said:

I thought Whitney and Erin's reaction to whether Michael was nervous or not was strange.  While the camera is showing Michael in the kitchen melting wax in the microwave, a voice says, "Do you think she is nervous?" (Probably Whitney.)    And then a voice says, "Wouldn't you be?"  (Probably Erin.)    Then the camera shows Whitney laughing and she just says, "Yeah".    No discussion of personal experience of how she felt the week before she married Zach.  Erin didn't offer up any personal feelings at that time either.  Only later when she did a talking head with just her and Carson out in the front yard did she share that she was nervous about the kiss and then the whole shebang later. 

Maybe it is out of respect for the younger girls that were in the room, but perhaps they aren't allowed to share any personal feelings about sex etc. 

Maybe it's because we're seeing highly edited snippets of what was most likely a scripted or at least guided conversation.

The boys flirting with the ice skaters may have been the best part of the episode. I get the idea they have no problem flirting when out and about. Nike must not be in their vocabulary. It doesn't appear that they are particularly shy or afraid to talk to girls. Just normal behavior.  Brandon, on the other hand, I feel might run the other way. 

I am only half way through the episode so I haven't gotten to the candle making scene except what I saw in the preview.  My take away was that Michaella was NOT amused by the conversation and so was saying she is not nervous out of irritation and trying to end of the conversation.  I also felt that in the TH shot she was implying that SOME people may think of those things but that would never occur to her to do so.  

I think the boys out flirting shows again the double standards Gil and Kelly have for their kids and makes them worse than the Duggars. At least the Duggar parents attempt to be consistent with standards when it comes to their kids, but Gil and Kelly have always give the sons more freedom while restricting their daughters. Like when Kelly posted the pictures of the boys in skin tight shirts and pants that were plastered to their bodies and was all "well boys will be boys." No way she would post pictures of a daughter like that. 

I doubt it's a coincidence that those girls were at the ice rink.  There was clearly filming being done, and they seemed to be the only ones there.  Attractive, female, and talented.  It was fun to see the guys flirting though, even if it was a setup.

Yes I agree the fall looked bad. They also picked an awful way to tell Michael. They just said Brandon had an accident and took a long dramatic pause before saying what it was or if he was ok. I mean that has to be scary thinking your ticket to freedom from sistermomdom or impending sexy time could be dead.

Also something that I noticed in an earlier episode. One of the Bates girls slid for a base in kickball and gave us the talk about how skirts can do just as much as pants. Am I the only one that saw her skirt slide all the way up to her buttocks when she did that? If so, would not pants be more modest since that more than likely would have never happened in pants? I mean yes all the lustful menfolk can see the out line of my hips but they can't see my skin of my butt.  

1 hour ago, ariel9 said:

Yes I agree the fall looked bad. They also picked an awful way to tell Michael. They just said Brandon had an accident and took a long dramatic pause before saying what it was or if he was ok. I mean that has to be scary thinking your ticket to freedom from sistermomdom or impending sexy time could be dead.

Also something that I noticed in an earlier episode. One of the Bates girls slid for a base in kickball and gave us the talk about how skirts can do just as much as pants. Am I the only one that saw her skirt slide all the way up to her buttocks when she did that? If so, would not pants be more modest since that more than likely would have never happened in pants? I mean yes all the lustful menfolk can see the out line of my hips but they can't see my skin of my butt.  

:56247958035f1_32(18)::56247958035f1_32(18)::56247958035f1_32(18):

1 hour ago, ariel9 said:

This is what reality television does to people. I'm sure that before they would have just told her, but now they had to dramatize it for the show. Eventually they will be getting out their phones to record accidents just like Michelle did. They have sold their souls for money. Granted, I am pretty sure Gil and Kelly sold their souls for IBLP money a long time ago, but now the kids are getting into the mindset. 

1 hour ago, ariel9 said:

I'm neither fundie nor am I on TV but we do this kind of stuff all the time.  For example I see yesterday that a very good friend of my husband had surgery.  We were clueless, I'm panicking making  sure I didn't miss a message from him or his wife.  Nothing, so I text both of them.  He answers with "I'll call you in a bit, I really should tell you over the phone not in a text."  He waits 2 hours to call, now I'm in a complete panic.  He had a wart removed, he just wanted to see how worked up he could make me.

6 hours ago, JMO said:

I am only half way through the episode so I haven't gotten to the candle making scene except what I saw in the preview.  My take away was that Michaella was NOT amused by the conversation and so was saying she is not nervous out of irritation and trying to end of the conversation.  I also felt that in the TH shot she was implying that SOME people may think of those things but that would never occur to her to do so.  

Yes! to me it looked like she thinks of herself as more pure and religious than her sisters, or at least that she wants everybody to believe she is this holy pure girl that never thinks about wordly stuff like sex unlike Erin and would never talk about something like that. Kind of reminded me of women from the victorian era, when a woman was not supposed to think about sex or like it at all, thats weird given that her sisters and even her mother are more open about it. She is the most fundie of them all.

49 minutes ago, Diana said:

Yes! to me it looked like she thinks of herself as more pure and religious than her sisters, or at least that she wants everybody to believe she is this holy pure girl that never thinks about wordly stuff like sex unlike Erin and would never talk about something like that. Kind of reminded me of women from the victorian era, when a woman was not supposed to think about sex or like it at all, thats weird given that her sisters and even her mother are more open about it. She is the most fundie of them all.

I have no doubt that Michael is incredibly fundie, and she has long seemed to be the most religious out of the Bates clan.  However, it's been pretty established since even before the Bates had their show that Michael is an incredibly private person who does not like to be the center of attention.  I think that Michael didn't want to have that talk not because she is a prude, wants to be seen as holy, or thinks sex is "dirty"; but because she simply isn't comfortable having that discussion in that setting.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum in terms of both religion and views on sexuality from the Bates, and I would have behaved like Michael.  I'm just also a private person who does not like to discuss the particulars of my sex life with anyone outside of my partner or very inner circle.  It's got nothing to do with shame or holiness for me, but everything to do with privacy and intimacy.  

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I have no doubt that Michael is incredibly fundie, and she has long seemed to be the most religious out of the Bates clan.  However, it's been pretty established since even before the Bates had their show that Michael is an incredibly private person who does not like to be the center of attention.  I think that Michael didn't want to have that talk not because she is a prude, wants to be seen as holy, or thinks sex is "dirty"; but because she simply isn't comfortable having that discussion in that setting.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum in terms of both religion and views on sexuality from the Bates, and I would have behaved like Michael.  I'm just also a private person who does not like to discuss the particulars of my sex life with anyone outside of my partner or very inner circle.  It's got nothing to do with shame or holiness for me, but everything to do with privacy and intimacy.  

Oh i would perfectly understand if she didn't wanted to discuss her sex life on tv or even in private in front of her sisters and mother, there is a lot of people that is not confortable talking about those subjects but arent prudes at all, im a shy person myself so i get it.

However the fact she said to the camera that kind of thoughts dont even cross my mind it was intentionally wanting to imply her mind is pure and sex is something she never thinks about not even a week before her wedding, like not only is she a virgin on her body but also on her mind. I dont believe she never in her life has thought about sex, and she trying us to believe that does seem to me like she believes that unmarried woman should be that way, so she assures to the audience that thing never crosses her mind as it should be, i feel sad that she thinks that even thinking about her own sexuality  would make her a worst christian. I hope things changed after the wedding but she really seems to be the kind of girl that would only lay there on bed and never talk about sex not even with her husband like she believes that women shouldnt care about sex only about having children, thats why i said she reminds of women from victorian era.

I took it to mean she didn't think about being nervous.  Maybe I should pay more attention.

32 minutes ago, Diana said:

Oh i would perfectly understand if she didn't wanted to discuss her sex life on tv or even in private in front of her sisters and mother, there is a lot of people that is not confortable talking about those subjects but arent prudes at all, im a shy person myself so i get it.

However the fact she said to the camera that kind of thoughts dont even cross my mind it was intentionally wanting to imply her mind is pure and sex is something she never thinks about not even a week before her wedding, like not only is she a virgin on her body but also on her mind. I dont believe she never in her life has thought about sex, and she trying us to believe that does seem to me like she believes that unmarried woman should be that way, so she assures to the audience that thing never crosses her mind as it should be, i feel sad that she thinks that even thinking about her own sexuality  would make her a worst christian. I hope things changed after the wedding but she really seems to be the kind of girl that would only lay there on bed and never talk about sex not even with her husband like she believes that women shouldnt care about sex only about having children, thats why i said she reminds of women from victorian era.

I definitely got that vibe as well. It just seemed to be said so sanctimoniously. 

Lawson is stuck in Nashville due to the snow.

I am sure that he is enjoying himself. Watching TV and eating whatever he wants.

Whitney posted a photo of her growing baby bump.

58 minutes ago, HRM1216 said:

I definitely got that vibe as well. It just seemed to be said so sanctimoniously. 

It wouldn't be the first time she sounded that way.  Here is a paragraph from their BrandonloveMIchaela website in which she tells her side of their story:

" I started praying for Brandon frequently that God would be real to him, protect, guide, direct, love, strengthen and use him! I had a crush bigger than I ever imagined possible, but I didn’t think I had the slightest chance of ever being noticed by him! I had purposed to not allow my feelings for him to be obvious, because I had seen many forward girls lure guys into a relationship. Instead, I wanted to pray and trust God and let Him guide both me and Brandon. At times this was hard, because I knew it was highly possible that we would never form a relationship. But at the same time, I knew if it was God’s will, I wanted Him to show it in a miraculous way that would leave us both in awe of His love for us."

The bolded really stood out to me.  It sounded really holier than thou.  I wonder if she thought her sisters or Whitney somehow lured their husbands into relationships. She seems nice enough but definitely above it all.

It could sound holier than thou, but there are non-fundie girls that have this similar thought. For instance, a girl wants to get married by her boyfriend and she dictates what will be an acceptable proposal for her; not allow him to determine it on his own. Yes, it is religious in nature, but there are girls who want to know that man wants them and discovers them without her influence. Almost like a fairy tale. The man sees a woman off in the distance and is in awe with her beauty. He must find out who she is and where she comes from.

Random Nathan speculation alert:  I really think he's either dating Ashley's sister Anastasia... or it was a possibility at some point, but he and Ashley ended up together in the end.  This picture, with the "hehehehe" comment from another sister of theirs... just... hrm.

And this, etc.:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived