IGNORED

Bates Family Part 7

Boogalou

2 hours ago, hollywood said:

WHY does Alyssa always have to take a damn photo every church day?

Because it proves that she is still totally with the program, even if she is wearing those heathen pants once in a while, perhaps

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, hollywood said:

WHY does Alyssa always have to take a damn photo every church day?

It's probably, in part, the day she dresses "the best."

It's also probably the one day/time she and John and the little princess are all dressed/put together at the same time and also have the time to do a picture.

During the work week she and AJ may also not be up and dressed when he leaves, meaning work day mornings could be harder, and after work for a lot of families wouldn't be ideal with dinner likely being in the works, it often seeming to be kiddo meltdown time, and dad probably wanting to get out of his work clothes and not take pics!

Plus, she clearly likes clothes/fashion, and a lot of fashion-esque bloggers/IG folks and even more lifestyle ones do OOTD type things and I suspect it's her way of doing something along those lines.

8 hours ago, imokit said:

Arggh No helmet on Trace! Am I the only one who's mum would murder her for riding without one? 

And to be fair to her, I think she's right!

Americans don't wear helmets while riding horseback, especially when trail riding,  as much as folks in some other countries do. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_helmet]

Helmets of course are ridden for jumping, etc.  but you just don't seem them much on adults riding "western"

I've seen a lot more use of equestrian helmets when I've been in Iceland and Australia than I have in the US.

[And by your use of "mum" I am guessing you aren't American!  : )]

8 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

Nothing to say about the Bradley phot just that he's cute as a bug's ear.

Is that Ma and Pa Bates' link or yours?  smile.amazon is Amazon's charity site.  I'm not sure how it all works but there are charities set up with smile and if you use their links a portion of the sale goes to the charity.  Just wondering who the money would go to with that link if it's theirs. 

No, I just linked it for people to see the movie on Amazon. Amazon Charity is great. I have a client that is signed up as a charity. I no longer shop regular Amazon. You are able to pick the Charity that you want if they have registered with Amazon.

About Amazon Smile:

The difference is that when customers shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charitable organizations selected by customers.

The hard part is choosing which of the million or so charitable organizations you want the AmazonSmile Foundation to donate to. You can change your charity at any time and search or suggest one when you first set up AmazonSmile.

Items that are eligible for the donations will be marked as such on their product pages. Unfortunately, Subscribe-and-Save purchases and renewals don't count.

The only real catch is you have to start your shopping at smile.amazon.com (which means you have to update your bookmark if you want to do this), and shopping from the Amazon apps, Kindle, or through affiliate links won't count.

Otherwise, it's just like shopping on Amazon—only you get to support your favorite charity without doing anything extra (not even donating time or effort). Check out the AmazonSmile FAQs page for more information or hit up the link below to get started.

If you haven't started to use Amazon Smile, today's the day.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Americans don't wear helmets while riding horseback, especially when trail riding,  as much as folks in some other countries do. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_helmet]

Helmets of course are ridden for jumping, etc.  but you just don't seem them much on adults riding "western"

I've seen a lot more use of equestrian helmets when I've been in Iceland and Australia than I have in the US.

[And by your use of "mum" I am guessing you aren't American!  : )]

I had the same reaction of "WTF! No helmet! How stupid are you!" :P

In my part of the world a helmet is always worn, and quite often also a safety vest. If you ride without a helmet people would call you out on it, and if you let your child ride without you would be lynched by other parents.

I don't think the Bates have ever shown a great concern for safety around horses. Remember the one episode on the Duggar show where they were trying to get small children to ride on a pony that was clearly not wanting to ride? 

Are we still thinking Alyssa is expecting? She has a new IG pic up and baby still over belly but I am doubtful.

Yes.

Now that I know that is a dress she has worn before while pregnant I'm inclined to agree. Damn.

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think the Bates have ever shown a great concern for safety around horses. Remember the one episode on the Duggar show where they were trying to get small children to ride on a pony that was clearly not wanting to ride? 

That's true, but I have never seen a Western style rider wear a helmet, with the exception of nervous first time riders and very, very small children (like 3-4).  I don't think this is a particular safety oversight on their part; if you spend time at most barns you'll see it just isn't common with Western riders.  At 5 I didn't wear a helmet to ride even out on the trail, and while I've fallen off horses (and had friends fall as well) head injuries are not high risk unless you are doing certain activities like jumping or breaking.  

I would be shocked if someone like Trace (or any Bates) who has been riding since he could walk DID wear a helmet.   

I would be surprised if they wore helmets too, but I also think that they just really don't consider safety a lot. I remember FJ discussing the episode where they put children in danger with the horses and they treated it like it was a joke. 

1 hour ago, Thorns said:

I had the same reaction of "WTF! No helmet! How stupid are you!" :P

In my part of the world a helmet is always worn, and quite often also a safety vest. If you ride without a helmet people would call you out on it, and if you let your child ride without you would be lynched by other parents.

Yeah, I don't think I have ever seen anyone ride without a helmet and many have vests too. But then again in my country everyone wears a helmet when skating too, only exceptions are figure skaters and they wear them up until they have passed a number of tests too. I wouldn't dream of going into a rink without a helmet, I even wore one while trying curling which some saw as exessive but I wouldn't have been able to relax otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, elliha said:

Yeah, I don't think I have ever seen anyone ride without a helmet and many have vests too. But then again in my country everyone wears a helmet when skating too, only exceptions are figure skaters and they wear them up until they have passed a number of tests too. I wouldn't dream of going into a rink without a helmet, I even wore one while trying curling which some saw as exessive but I wouldn't have been able to relax otherwise. 

Wow! I think we usually just do helmets for outdoor skating (rollerblading), bikes, skateboards (and even that's hit and miss) and the like. I've never worn one horseback riding, indoor skating, or ice skating. 

I've only seen beginning ice skaters (usually very small children) wear helmets.  Otherwise, the only people I know who wear helmets at the rink are hockey players. 

Belive me, when you have seen a couple of nasty falls, the subsequent head injuries and the nasty headscans, you tend to appreciate the helmet :P

I could MAYBE drop the helmet when riding in a paddock, and just riding forms. On the trail? NEVER. Too many spooky horses and idiot drivers that scare horses for "fun". You never know when the most sedate of ponnies desides that "oh, that rock looks scary, I think I'll buck a little". 

1 hour ago, elliha said:

wow you really take safety serious in sweden! here you see little kids on helmets skating or riding bikes most often in recent years, when i was a child it was not like that! i guess people is getting more concerned about safety here too, But still its usually only the little ones and not every one. Same about horses, i have only seen little children and people practicing riding as a sport wearing helmets, but not the people riding their own horses in the country.

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

Wow! I think we usually just do helmets for outdoor skating (rollerblading), bikes, skateboards (and even that's hit and miss) and the like. I've never worn one horseback riding, indoor skating, or ice skating. 

Up until you are 15 you must wear a bike helmet if riding on a bike with two wheels. Adults do not have to wear a helmet but I decided to start doing so once I was a parent. I wanted to be a good rolemodel and to protect myself if possible. I have seen much more people do rollerblading here that don't wear a helmet than people iceskating without a helmet but most wear one here too. Skateboarding might be 50/50 (my daughter screamed at some 20-something guys because they were doing dangerous bad things when they skated without a helmet, she was three at the time and it was pretty cute.) I think one reason everyone wears a helmet iceskating is that most schools have that as a requirement for all students when there is an outside rink at school or if the school goes to a rink.

5 minutes ago, Diana said:

wow you really take safety serious in sweden! here you see little kids on helmets skating or riding bikes most often in recent years, when i was a child it was not like that! i guess people is getting more concerned about safety here too, But still its usually only the little ones and not every one. Same about horses, i have only seen little children and people practicing riding as a sport wearing helmets, but not the people riding their own horses in the country.

Wearing a helmet when curling is not typical though, it was just me being scared of hitting my head. Out of the 30 who tried it at the time we were at the most 5 who wore a helmet and I was the only one under 50 to do so. 

It seems like most kids around here wear helmets now when it comes to riding bikes and skateboarding. I don't see kids wearing helmets when rollerskating, though, not even school groups. 

I started riding horses and bikes at about the same age. Pretty much the only requirements I had for riding a horse were shoes and adult supervision (my horse was old, very gentle, and great with little kids), on the other hand, this is what I was required to wear when learning how to ride a bike: 

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.d8f31a01f4fb014070c07c2

Western US parents have interesting priorities, I guess. At least mine did. 

On Michael's sanctimony on the "nervousness" question... I thought it was hilarious at how much shade she threw on Erin. "I guess she thinks about those things.  I don't."  It was so bitchy!

I'm going to give MIchael a pass on being bitchy because she walked in to find her family not only discussing her upcoming sex life, but also doing it in front of a camera crew so that it can be put on television. I'd be throwing shade too. 

8 hours ago, jakesykora said:

It's probably, in part, the day she dresses "the best."

It's also probably the one day/time she and John and the little princess are all dressed/put together at the same time and also have the time to do a picture.

During the work week she and AJ may also not be up and dressed when he leaves, meaning work day mornings could be harder, and after work for a lot of families wouldn't be ideal with dinner likely being in the works, it often seeming to be kiddo meltdown time, and dad probably wanting to get out of his work clothes and not take pics!

Plus, she clearly likes clothes/fashion, and a lot of fashion-esque bloggers/IG folks and even more lifestyle ones do OOTD type things and I suspect it's her way of doing something along those lines.

Someone upthread mentioned that Alyssa now also has a private Instagram. The weekly church pictures are probably an easy way to put some consistent content on her public Instagram that aligns with her family's message, and she can save all the fun heathen activities for her private account. I like the more spontaneous pictures and I'm getting pretty bored of the church pictures only thing that's going on here.

5 hours ago, VaSportsMom said:

Yes.

Now that I know that is a dress she has worn before while pregnant I'm inclined to agree. Damn.

I don't know....I was with actuallyjessica and the few others on the "DEFINITELY PREGNANT" bandwagon until Alyssa's Sunday picture from last week...

She is extremely tiny there and even wearing a freaking belt around her waist.  I first started to suspect knocked up about a month before this during her Christmastime pictures from ma and pa's house when her clothes were a bit looser and she was holding Allie out in front instead of against her chest (with out in front covering more of her stomach area).  I would expect her to be much larger now, a month later, if she were pregnant so I guess I was wrong on that one and she was just gestating a food baby.

I don't think the fact she's wearing the same dress she wore when pregnant for reals in the most recent Sunday picture really means anything as that's not really a maternity dress anyway. 

So yeah, I'm going with "not currently pregnant".  THANK GOODNESS.

1 hour ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Someone upthread mentioned that Alyssa now also has a private Instagram. The weekly church pictures are probably an easy way to put some consistent content on her public Instagram that aligns with her family's message, and she can save all the fun heathen activities for her private account. I like the more spontaneous pictures and I'm getting pretty bored of the church pictures only thing that's going on here.

I should also say that while I am bored with her public account, I really respect her for claiming some privacy and deciding to keep her life away from the Bates' legion of leghumpers. It is completely her right to do so, and if she is not comfortable posting publicly I am thrilled at her choice and hope she encourages her siblings to follow her example.

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

They show no concern for safety. The kids were not wearing wrist guards when roller blading. The wrist guards protect against one of the most common wrist breaks. 

3 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I should also say that while I am bored with her public account, I really respect her for claiming some privacy and deciding to keep her life away from the Bates' legion of leghumpers. It is completely her right to do so, and if she is not comfortable posting publicly I am thrilled at her choice and hope she encourages her siblings to follow her example.

I totally agree, but there's the nosy part of me that just really wishes she would post some of her private instagram pictures on the public account so that we can see what's actually going on down in Florida. I'm sure they aren't even "bad" pictures, probably just has a lot more in pants, :omg:, which to us normal people would be no cause for concern, but heaven forbid the crazies that would comment on her picture telling her what a horrible person she is for straying from skirts and dresses. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived