IGNORED

Bates Family Part 7

Boogalou

4 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

We'll just have to wait and see. I think that if Carson is two or pushing two and they're still not pregnant then it means they're using some sort of BC whether is hormonal or NFP.. Hell, if this year Erin is not preggo then they're limiting their family's size... Erin has a great fertility actually, her problem is that she can't keep the pregnancy going so... Like I said, let's wait... Here everyone was SO sure that Whitney and Zach were going fundie lite (which is not the case) and they're pregnant already.

I don't know if we have evidence of Whit and Zach not going fundie lite.  Just because they have a couple of kids quickly doesn't mean anything.  Lots of mainstream couples do that too.  It's just too early to make that call.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, accountingstar said:

Preview of Thursday's episode. It is not embedding. I spotted Tabitha Paine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uiAEv4Hdi0

Lawson is quoting Mark Twain. Surprised he knows about him.

The Bateses live not all that far from Jamestown, TN where Mark Twain's parents lived for a while before he was born.  There's a Mark Twain Springs on the square and I think there's a Mark Twain Hotel, too. It's been about 40 years since I passed through, but we used to go through every summer.  We stayed at the hotel once after we had a wreck outside of town.

9 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I don't know if we have evidence of Whit and Zach not going fundie lite.  Just because they have a couple of kids quickly doesn't mean anything.  Lots of mainstream couples do that too.  It's just too early to make that call.

I was one of those who thought Whit and Zach would go fundie lite.  I got the feeling that Zach was so eager to get out of his parents' house that he would waste no time.    While there's still time for them to eventually do this, after all, they have only been married two years, the signs so far indicate to me that he and Whit are not.  At least not yet.  And it's not because they are having a second child so quickly because lots of couples do.    It's more to do with signs that Whit has embraced the fundie world and I think Zach goes along with whatever she wants.   And no, it's not because of Whit wearing skirts, more that it seems she has eagerly integrated into her in-law family. 

10 hours ago, calimojo said:

Given that Chad's father is a physician, perhaps he will take more stock in medical advice than others in their cult might. 

According to the lawsuit Dr. Paine has given some pretty bad medical advice. Since IBLP hired him to be the staff doctor, I'm not thinking he is the greatest doctor in the world. 

Free Jingerites have wondered where/how Lawson and Nathan watch their beloved football games. Zach and Whitney have posted that they enjoy watching movies at home, and they just posted an Instagram of Lawson & Nathan hanging out at their house Monday night.

So--my theory is that all the guys gather at Zach & Whitney's to watch football games. Not sure the Bates boys got to do that before Zach had his own place.

It's snowing in TN.

Too cute for words.

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

I spot Jana in the new preview video! Makes sense, since she's a bridesmaid.

Nice Call. Here's the screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 11.50.56 AM.png

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

According to the lawsuit Dr. Paine has given some pretty bad medical advice. Since IBLP hired him to be the staff doctor, I'm not thinking he is the greatest doctor in the world. 

I've always assumed he was a bad doctor. He's a prison doctor, and prisons and prison doctors are notorious for providing (or... not providing) horrendous, negligent, and abusive medical care. Not only that, he's ATI, which means he's especially likely to not GAF about incarcerated people and the disadvantaged populations that are incarcerated at elevated rates. Of course, maybe he's better than that and i'm being cynical.... but I don't expect much out of an ATI doctor whose son married into a family who keeps a KKK leader's picture on the living room wall. 

I don't know if any Bateseses are going to make it to DC for Friday's anti-choice march, if it is already snowing at their home in Rocky Top. They will have to basically race the snowstorm all the way up through the Blue Ridge Mountains tomorrow. They might make it to DC, but they may end up stuck here for several days.

Although maybe Nathan won't mind if his semi-secret girlfriend Ashley comes down from NYC to join him.

2 hours ago, accountingstar said:

It's snowing in TN.

Too cute for words.

Nice Call. Here's the screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 11.50.56 AM.png

Bradley is soooo cute, but more importantly... 

I thought the preview for tomorrow's episode actually looked entertaining because of Erin, Whitney, AND the unmarried sisters talking about what happens after the wedding. Michael[la] looked so over it already haha. 

Just now, enigmata said:

Did Lawson really write 'oh deer' under the pic of snow!?  SOTDRT strikes again :)

Isn't there a deer on the pic? I thought it was a pun.

27 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Yeah, definitely a pun. If you play the video, there's a bunch of deer running through the background.

:embarrassed: Hadn't even realised it was a video - just looked like a picture on my screen.  Glad to know it was a pun and not awful spelling.

You know, most folks I know that work in landscaping  (in areas that have 4 seasons) do snow removal/plowing in the winter.  I wonder if Lawson does?  (I think it would be foolish for him not to)

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

You know, most folks I know that work in landscaping  (in areas that have 4 seasons) do snow removal/plowing in the winter.  I wonder if Lawson does?  (I think it would be foolish for him not to)

I'm guessing their area doesn't get enough snow to make this a thing. Whitney posted that it was Bradley's first snow, so I doubt it. 

3 hours ago, enigmata said:

Did Lawson really write 'oh deer' under the pic of snow!?  SOTDRT strikes again :)

SOTDRT might not be to blame, auto correct might be.  There's a whole website devoted to their fails (I've 'grilled children' based on my auto correct).

The Bates Family has posted more snow photos.

Baby Carson is getting cuter.

Erin's hair looks good in that photo.

A quick moving weather system left much of middle Tennessee coated in ice this morning. Snow and sleet has left a coating to upwards of 3" of snow and sleet for areas North of I-40. For the rest of the afternoon skies will dry from West to East and temperatures should finally warm above freezing. Our next weather system will work into the area Wednesday and bring rain to the area initially, but will transition to snow by Friday.

That first picture is so indicative of recent still-at-home Bates social media photo presence.  Lawson, Carlin, and Josie as the... I dunno, the debutante children, is maybe the way I see them... and then Trace desperately trying to be in the Cool, Cute Kids' Club.

The video about the "after the wedding" talk made them almost seem like a normal family - that is exactly how the conversation would go in my family, with all of the younger girls giggling along as the moms & aunts embarrassed the bride. Of course, it's never assumed in my world that the bride and the groom have never had any alone time. Seeing the girls act so normally around each other, especially regarding such a taboo subject in their culture, gives me hope that they will lead more normal lives. And then those hopes will almost inevitably be crushed, just like they have been for so many fundie children. Sigh.

22 minutes ago, SunnySideUp said:

The video about the "after the wedding" talk made them almost seem like a normal family - that is exactly how the conversation would go in my family, with all of the younger girls giggling along as the moms & aunts embarrassed the bride. Of course, it's never assumed in my world that the bride and the groom have never had any alone time. Seeing the girls act so normally around each other, especially regarding such a taboo subject in their culture, gives me hope that they will lead more normal lives. And then those hopes will almost inevitably be crushed, just like they have been for so many fundie children. Sigh.

I agree about that video, it was refreshingly candid and relatable. i'm surprised they had it in the show, really.. especially when erin said "the whole shebang". imagine if that was on 19kac.

14 hours ago, Ofglen said:

I've always assumed he was a bad doctor. He's a prison doctor, and prisons and prison doctors are notorious for providing (or... not providing) horrendous, negligent, and abusive medical care. Not only that, he's ATI, which means he's especially likely to not GAF about incarcerated people and the disadvantaged populations that are incarcerated at elevated rates. Of course, maybe he's better than that and i'm being cynical.... but I don't expect much out of an ATI doctor whose son married into a family who keeps a KKK leader's picture on the living room wall. 

Not to mention that, per the Gothard lawsuit, a young women saw him for possible abuse and he told her to eat an energy bar.  :my_huh:

3 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I agree about that video, it was refreshingly candid and relatable. i'm surprised they had it in the show, really.. especially when erin said "the whole shebang". imagine if that was on 19kac.

It was so refreshing to hear sex referred to as something fun and normal, and not some sort of half-sacramental acticity, as something to be a little giddy about and not something to be awaited with reverence and offered up as a worship practice.

I almost wanted to be a Bates for a second, then I remembered who they are and what organisation they belong to...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived