Boogalou

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24788

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25345

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26562

Part 4: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24178-bates-family-part-4/?page=1

Part 5: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24837-bates-family-part-5/?page=1

Part 6: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/25167-bates-family-part-6/?page=1

Archive: viewforum.php?f=101

The Bates parents are grifters who are implicated in a lawsuit for covering up the abuse and assault of women and teenage girls.  Whitney is pregnant.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, confirmed, everyone in TN is a mandatory reporter. But on second thought, these incidents might have happened in IL. And IL is one of those states that specifically does not require reporting of knowledge learned outside of one's official capacity. I wonder if this is part of why ATI and RU like to set up shop in Illinois.

Texas, however, is another one in which everyone is a mandatory reporter and which has recent experience confronting child abuse hidden in religious practices. I wonder if the move to TX will be as bad for ATI as it was for the FLDS. Sadly, that cult is still going much stronger than I would like, but a lot of that responsibility can be shouldered by the state of Utah (another rant for another day), while Texas really got in there.

Edited to add link to the rainn directory:

https://rainn.org/statelaws

I think the move was rushed because the BoD was trying to get out of IL before the lawsuit. Plus they already have a lot of land in Texas, so it is the logical choice. 

Germany is the same as Norway re: being screwed medico-legally if you walk by, whether a doctor OR a random bystander. 
It's called "Unterlassene Hilfeleistung" (Neglect of assistance) and is a crime. 

Just watched the episode. thoughts:

still sounds like they sing "time for mammaries"
Ugh, Nathan. "Girls think they know what looks good, but the truth is you have to have a guys opinion"??? Fuck off. 
So they point out that a lot of the dresses "are missing the top part", BUT I do like that while Carlin explains that they "wear dresses a little differently", they never once mention the word modesty or say "because we dress modestly" or "it's so hard to find modest dresses" like the Duggars. Michael also shows some shoulder, although she mostly uses her hair to cover them. None of that weird stuffing or draping of fabrics we know from Duggarville - until we get to the dress she actually buys. Damn, that would have been so nice without the raised neckline. It also seems like they did the alterations themselves, because they're buying the dress right then and there and taking it home, which explains why they meshed so badly. Le sigh. 
Okay, Nathan, you are a dick, but you're the only one talking truth about that lace monstrosity here..
Damn, I have hair envy. Michael has gorgeous hair. 
Heh, "that long? I'm not gonna wait that long." 
Erin really suits plum.
Who is the woman walking Beth down the aisle? Is that Kelly's mum?
I guess Alyssa isn't even adjusting her dress style anymore when she visits the family. That's ALL the shoulder. 
Yeah, the way the drop Nathan's girlfriend in there is weird!
Poor Mama Jane and her hammock. At least Carlin had the good grace to apologise.
I do like their family tradition of sharing something nice about the birthday person. That's really lovely. 
Man, Whitney welling up when she says "it's really encouraging to see ya'll as a family and how tight ya'll are" is very telling. 
Why is Gil wearing a kneebrace?
Tori seems quite sporty. I bet she'd have been on some school team if her family was normal.
Harsh, Mama Jane! 

Random but I'm from the New York tri-state area and could never imagine moving to Tennessee. I don't see Ashley, a bi-lingual New Yorker who travels all the time moving to the south and settling with Nathan. I think she wouldn't like the southern farm life the bates seem to have: We'll see. 

Tennesse isn't that bad.  I mean people shouldn't move here if they don't want to, but it isn't exactly the worst place in the world.  

Most states have more urban and suburban and rural areas (and the shades in between).  My brother lives on eight acres amongst farmland (crops and cows) and yet goes to work in a large city only an hour away once a week (the rest of the time he works from home and has a satellite hookup for internet and DirecTV/Dish).  I live near a very large city but have friends who live in the sticks just an hour from me, with a view of mountains and a number of acres as well.  Both are in different parts of the country completely.  Personally I lived in the South as a kid and it wasn't for me, but I could learn to be happy in a city like Nashville or Knoxville or its suburbs, but I wouldn't be happy living out in the middle of the country like the Bates family.  Besides, when you have that large of a family (like most fundies) living in a big city or a suburb doesn't support huge families very well.  Most of the well-known fundie families live in the country, or their local version of it, but since they're mostly self-employed, they don't need to be near a city with lots of "regular" jobs.  

Yes, I know there are exceptions - the Mueller family of twelve live in the suburbs of Chicago - but their kids are spaced a little farther apart, and one of their daughters got married pretty young and now four of the ten kids are out of the home, and one is currently engaged and a couple more are of marriageable age, plus they built a new, bigger house a few years ago.  The other exception is the ATI crowd like the David Waller family, but it's been established that they didn't own their houses near Chicago, and it's questionable if they even paid rent.  David's blog says that his parents were lent a house when they lived in Chicago when they returned from being missionaries in Mongolia, but the older kids were expected to work for IBLP in return.  So there are strings.

TL;DR - There's nothing wrong with living anywhere, including Tennessee. ;)

I think I could find a place I liked to live in all the states, even the super conservative ones where I might be driven a little crazy. Might be fun to try. I think the issue for Ashley would be whether she is ready to end her old life. Fundie girls are not like others. They don't tend to continue what they enjoy or are interested in once married, with the exception of Erin and her piano playing. It stops being about you and becomes about what your husband wants. Honestly, I don't see Nathan as being ready to get married and have kids. 

1 hour ago, treemom said:

Tennesse isn't that bad.  I mean people shouldn't move here if they don't want to, but it isn't exactly the worst place in the world.  

My daughter and her husband live in Tennessee.  Her husband is from New York State, although not the NYC area.  It's possible for a New Yorker to live in Tennessee and live quite happily.

18 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I think I could find a place I liked to live in all the states, even the super conservative ones where I might be driven a little crazy. Might be fun to try. I think the issue for Ashley would be whether she is ready to end her old life. Fundie girls are not like others. They don't tend to continue what they enjoy or are interested in once married, with the exception of Erin and her piano playing. It stops being about you and becomes about what your husband wants. Honestly, I don't see Nathan as being ready to get married and have kids. 

I'd love to see Nathan move to New York, but I suspect Ashley's parents are selling their home to move down South.

2 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Random but I'm from the New York tri-state area and could never imagine moving to Tennessee. I don't see Ashley, a bi-lingual New Yorker who travels all the time moving to the south and settling with Nathan. I think she wouldn't like the southern farm life the bates seem to have: We'll see. 

I know people who can live in both environments pretty well. Out of curiosity, what's the second language Ashley speaks?

Seems like Mama Jane gets cranky whenever Gil's whole family visits, and who can blame her?  I'd be pissed if my grandkids stood on tables next to food and kept breaking things.  Shouldn't Gil & Kelly's "Train Up" program have eliminated these problems by now?

We saw the same thing happen with the Duggars, the older ones were "trained"  but once the sister-moms start raising the children and there are television cameras around, the younger ones turn into howler monkeys. 

53 minutes ago, 16strong said:

I'd love to see Nathan move to New York, but I suspect Ashley's parents are selling their home to move down South.

Remind me what this is about? I vaguely remember when the board first researched Ashley it seemed like her parents were selling or closing something but I can't remember the details.  

If your suspicions prove true, though, then wow. That would be quite a move to uproot your whole family just bc your daughter is special friendshipping someone. 

I lived just a small country town about the size of Rocky Top for a few years as a kid but my family moved back to our state capital when I was a teenager. The closest "city" to us was about as far away Knoxville would be for them but only had a population of 15000. We missed nice restaurants when we lived in the country. Hell, we got excited when they got a McDonalds and once travelled for 2 hours to get Hungry Jacks (this is what Burger King is called here). There are definitely pros and cons of both but I think living close to a smaller city like Knoxville would be a good compromise.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I know people who can live in both environments pretty well. Out of curiosity, what's the second language Ashley speaks?

She speaks Spanish. She's Dominican. 

34 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Seems like Mama Jane gets cranky whenever Gil's whole family visits, and who can blame her?  I'd be pissed if my grandkids stood on tables next to food and kept breaking things.  Shouldn't Gil & Kelly's "Train Up" program have eliminated these problems by now?

I like Mama Jane.

Momma Jane is a breath of fresh air! take note Grandma Mary, you don’t have to be a brain washed laundry slave. 

Mama Jane is one of the few people to call out the Bates kids on their shenanigans and she doesn't hold back.  I still wonder what she says when they're not there about Gil having so many kids and being so involved with the ATI cult.  Mama Jae and Papa Bill are quite involved with Gil's brother's kids because they live right there, but they are also probably better behaved.

Finally watching this first episode (illegally) and WOW those boys (Lawson, Nathan, Trace) are arrogant and rude. They need to sit down and shut up. :annoyed:

2 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

Momma Jane is a breath of fresh air! take note Grandma Mary, you don’t have to be a brain washed laundry slave. 

I think it's harder for Grandma Mary because her husband's died and she lives with the Duggars. It's easier to be like Mama Jane when you're living in your own place, not with all the grandchildren.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived