IGNORED

Maxwell Thanksgiving Post

Dru

I don't think they've been looking at lights yet this year. I think Teri just wrote the post and went looking for a photo of the children in the van to go with the post. It's too bad they didn't take the time to stage a photo of all of them wearing matching scarves and hats and mittens. Oh, well, there's always next year.

The main thing that makes me think this post is fake is the fact that it's still bright out. Who turns on their lights before the sun is about to set?!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about it and that picture seems really familiar. I feel like I've seen it before. 

The properties of the pic say its from Tuesday December 16, 2014.

Lives akin to those of prisoners, but even adult prisoners get to decide if they want to partake in religion.

It's laced with sadness because their lives ARE sad.

Can you imagine being 30+ years old and being unable to choose anything, not even your own clothing?

The properties of the pic say its from Tuesday December 16, 2014.

They don't say in the post that they have done it this year, or that the picture is from this year - but instead, that this is an annual tradition.  I think it's totally normal to post a picture of last year's outing to talk about this year's upcoming outing.  A little strange because the kids are even further into adulthood, but I don't think they're being dishonest.

Not gonna lie, I'd totally sit in the back of my parents car and go see some Christmas lights. Of course, I don't see them that often so it's definitely not the same thing. When they do it it's just sad. Everything they do is laced with sadness...

Me too. Also, driving around to look at Christmas lights with hot cocoa is a great, cheap date idea. I plan on doing it this year actually. 

The Maxwells' outing is sad because, well, they're sad. 

They don't say in the post that they have done it this year, or that the picture is from this year - but instead, that this is an annual tradition.  I think it's totally normal to post a picture of last year's outing to talk about this year's upcoming outing.  A little strange because the kids are even further into adulthood, but I don't think they're being dishonest.

Right - but for the purposes of telling the story for the blog wouldn't a pic at night with...i dunno...Christmas lights in the background be a better choice?

Not arguing with you, just annoyed with myself that I'm still surprised by the lack of logic in how they present themselves.  Aren't these people supposed to be good at photographs?  When i posted about my dogs helping with the Christmas lights I posted my crappy pics of the dogs actually draped in Christmas lights, not playing in the sprinkler in the yard mid-summer.  Both cute, only one scenario was relevant though.

Me too. Also, driving around to look at Christmas lights with hot cocoa is a great, cheap date idea. I plan on doing it this year actually. 

I have a couple of neighbors I'd like to send some big ass baskets of muffins and boxes of money as a thank you for how OTT they did their houses.  No matter what kind of shit day I had I grin like a lunatic when I pass their homes...they so rock.

Makes me wish I spoke to people so I could tell them.  Not really...but in theory.

Edited to add a question - I've been looking for a specific type of lights and a couple of the neighbors have them up.  We've bought a couple different kinds hoping they were right and they aren't.  It's to use inside so I wouldn't be competing with their external awesomeness...would it be weird for Mr. Buffy to ask them the make/model of the freaking lights.  He thinks it's no big deal and was going to walk over and ask but I didn't know if that was beyond rude.  My social meter has never been calibrated right so I err on the side of isolation and unobtrusiveness exclusively.  I just really want the lights with the deep blue, fuscia, and purple and this is getting spendy.

Edited to add a question - I've been looking for a specific type of lights and a couple of the neighbors have them up.  We've bought a couple different kinds hoping they were right and they aren't.  It's to use inside so I wouldn't be competing with their external awesomeness...would it be weird for Mr. Buffy to ask them the make/model of the freaking lights.  He thinks it's no big deal and was going to walk over and ask but I didn't know if that was beyond rude.  My social meter has never been calibrated right so I err on the side of isolation and unobtrusiveness exclusively.  I just really want the lights with the deep blue, fuscia, and purple and this is getting spendy.

Perfectly fine. Even better that your husband is willing to do it! :pb_glasses: I would probably be too chicken to actually ring someone's doorbell and ask them, but I would totally let Mr. O do it. And I absolutely wouldn't mind if my neighbors came to my door to ask.

Perfectly fine. Even better that your husband is willing to do it! :pb_glasses: I would probably be too chicken to actually ring someone's doorbell and ask them, but I would totally let Mr. O do it. And I absolutely wouldn't mind if my neighbors came to my door to ask.

Thanks. /hijack...I feel better now.  No way would I be able to do it but he's a people person.  Thank God for extroverts without whom I'd have no one to send to do my bidding.  :)

I've had this exact question. :pb_lol:

My neighborhood had quite a few people putting up their lights the weekend before Thanksgiving.  After Thanksgiving, it rained for days and so people who didn't have them up are playing catch up. The Country Club Plaza lights and the lights at Crown Center are up, and local parks that do big displays likely have their exhibits up (drive through).  About a mile from my house, a family puts out a light show style decoration that synchronizes with music you can pick up on your car radio... (I stop by for that one most years)

If they left Leavenworth at about 4:30 or 5 it would still be light when they left home and they would hit the Plaza in about an hour, about the time it is getting dark.  If they grab dinner out then go "light seeing" it would be fully dark to see the lights

Thanksgiving this year was too warm for sweaters.  My nephew and I each complained  we had outfits planned that we had to ditch because instead of sweater/sweatshirt weather it was T shirt weather, so it varies by the day whether people need coats in KS even in early December. 

My neighborhood had quite a few people putting up their lights the weekend before Thanksgiving.  After Thanksgiving, it rained for days and so people who didn't have them up are playing catch up. The Country Club Plaza lights and the lights at Crown Center are up, and local parks that do big displays likely have their exhibits up (drive through).  About a mile from my house, a family puts out a light show style decoration that synchronizes with music you can pick up on your car radio... (I stop by for that one most years)

If they left Leavenworth at about 4:30 or 5 it would still be light when they left home and they would hit the Plaza in about an hour, about the time it is getting dark.  If they grab dinner out then go "light seeing" it would be fully dark to see the lights

Thanksgiving this year was too warm for sweaters.  My nephew and I each complained  we had outfits planned that we had to ditch because instead of sweater/sweatshirt weather it was T shirt weather, so it varies by the day whether people need coats in KS even in early December. 

I would change my route to see that every day.  :)  We never travel far because locally our neighborhood (and the last) always look like we were attacked by Lite-Brites from Thanksgiving on...and I have to say as much as I love the beauty of the really nice homes where the lights were clearly professionally done - even when OTT it's tasteful I really adore the homes where you know it was the family on ladders just covering every square inch...screw the theme!  House is doused in lights and the lawn covered with inflatable nativity scenes where the shepards are watching over reindeer with santa hats and frosty is right behind the wise men to give tribute.  If I had a time machine I wouldn't bat an eye to see a flock of penguins holding candy canes in mangers in the middle east circa 0 AD...that is as it should be ...so sayth the lord of tacky decorating.  

Agree -- and a good way to meet one of your neighbors. They'll probably be flattered that you like their lights so much :)

Yes, it does sound like a fun date idea. I was thinking of doing that this weekend with my five year old because she is FIVE and still in awe of Christmas lights. I would not even dream of suggesting it when she is fifteen or when she is an adult unless she has young children that would enjoy it.

Yes, it does sound like a fun date idea. I was thinking of doing that this weekend with my five year old because she is FIVE and still in awe of Christmas lights. I would not even dream of suggesting it when she is fifteen or when she is an adult unless she has young children that would enjoy it.

5?  Best Christmas age ever!  Old enough to be delighted and anticipate, too young to be jaded!

(trust me - cocoa in the travel mugs.  And you can never have enough mini-marshmallows.  :) )

At 25, I would love to do that with my mom. Of course, I live hundreds of miles away from my parents and only see them a couple of times a year.

ETA: I also have VERY happy memories of driving by this gigantic, brightly-lit Christmas tree every day during Advent on our way home for years and years as a kid.

At 25, I would love to do that with my mom. Of course, I live hundreds of miles away from my parents and only see them a couple of times a year.

ETA: I also have VERY happy memories of driving by this gigantic, brightly-lit Christmas tree every day during Advent on our way home for years and years as a kid.

reminds me - we haven't gotten the advent calendars.  I'm trying to make it one year without breaking and eating the chocolate ahead of time.  

(and as a mom of a 25 year old I'm sure it would make her really happy to know you'd love to do that with her, even if you can't.  Mom's are sappy that way.  :) )

reminds me - we haven't gotten the advent calendars.  I'm trying to make it one year without breaking and eating the chocolate ahead of time.  

(and as a mom of a 25 year old I'm sure it would make her really happy to know you'd love to do that with her, even if you can't.  Mom's are sappy that way.  :) )

All right, all right, I'll text her. :my_biggrin:

Since that photograph was dated from last year, I went back to Tits  and looked at last year's archives to see if they had used it.  They didn't.  However they had a very full December last year with lots of activities such as the Walk through Bethlehem, the concert, caroling, and a Christmas tea.  It will be interesting to see if they are as active this year because I get the feeling that they are over all doing less as a family than they used to.

You know, every time I read that bit about Teri having to discuss eye traps with Steve all I can think is that quote from some book that says:

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire

Steve, do you know where you will go when you die?  Perhapeth thou eyes, thee should pluckith?

You know, every time I read that bit about Teri having to discuss eye traps with Steve all I can think is that quote from some book that says:

Steve, do you know where you will go when you die?  Perhapeth thou eyes, thee should pluckith?

I cannot believe you didn't go with the LHOP usage "if the foot offendeth thee cut it off" from when Caroline had that super gross leg infection when she was home alone making pies for the church thing and Charles went ahead to some picnic with the girls?  She got it from a scratch on some wire getting out of the wagon and then put a bread poultice on it when it got bad then her leg got all inflamed to twice it's size and red and oozing?  When Reverend Alden came to pick up the pies with that lady she tried to get their attention by throwing a rolling in at her window but they didn't hear her...and she put the butcher knife in the fire to cut off her leg and Doc Baker said if she hadn't opened the infection when she did she would have lost her leg, "maybe even her life."  and when her fever finally broke she squeezed Charles hand as he was head down devastated on the bed?

And stupid Rev Alden told Charles he was sure there was nothing to worry about when he left without Caroline as he was supposed to bring her to meet Charles and the girls and Charles was all - duh, dumbass, it's every reason to worry...she's the responsible one here.  And he goes back and finds the cow has been roaming and annoying the neighbors...

Or something like that, I barely remember that episode.

Sarah has come away with a great modest- but-lovely way of dressing. She is out of vogue with some of the girls in our church. Quite often this is a topic of conversation between she and I that she will bring up after church. It will go something like this, Mom, did you notice what so and so had on today? I dont understand how she can choose to dress like that. I wonder why her parents dont encourage her to dress modestly.

Thou shalt not wear eye traps but be thee comforted: gossiping and talking ill about people behind their backs is allowed and brings thine family together to despise the uncomprehending harlots.

If we define an eye trap as something that draws the eyes away from the woman's face, I think some of the weirdly modest fundie clothing would likely be an eye trap as well. if you think, "why on earth is she wearing something like that?" you're not thinking of her face.

I cannot believe you didn't go with the LHOP usage "if the foot offendeth thee cut it off" from when Caroline had that super gross leg infection when she was home alone making pies for the church thing and Charles went ahead to some picnic with the girls?  She got it from a scratch on some wire getting out of the wagon and then put a bread poultice on it when it got bad then her leg got all inflamed to twice it's size and red and oozing?  When Reverend Alden came to pick up the pies with that lady she tried to get their attention by throwing a rolling in at her window but they didn't hear her...and she put the butcher knife in the fire to cut off her leg and Doc Baker said if she hadn't opened the infection when she did she would have lost her leg, "maybe even her life."  and when her fever finally broke she squeezed Charles hand as he was head down devastated on the bed?

And stupid Rev Alden told Charles he was sure there was nothing to worry about when he left without Caroline as he was supposed to bring her to meet Charles and the girls and Charles was all - duh, dumbass, it's every reason to worry...she's the responsible one here.  And he goes back and finds the cow has been roaming and annoying the neighbors...

Or something like that, I barely remember that episode.

I LOVE YOU!

I recently did the same thing about a Brady Bunch episode. Somebody referenced it on Facebook but got it all wrong.  I simply could not keep scrolling.....

edited for clairty

Archived