IGNORED

Maxwell Thanksgiving Post

Dru

Somehow they think that their lifestyle is a great advertisement for God? Everyone, stunt your kids' development and cut their wings because Jesus? Treat them as children forever because the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children? (Matthew 19)

Sometimes those smiles seem so forced, like the kidults know they're being screwed over. Where exactly in the Bible does it say that unmarried daughters should never live like reasonable  adults do?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the driving around to look at Christmas lights as a family is weird. My mom and I used to do this all the time until she got sick, even when i was well into adulthood. There are some great neighborhoods here with amazing light displays and it was a lot of fun. I wish we could still do it. I can find a lot of reasons to snark on the Maxwells or any fundy family but I don't think everything single thing they do is weird. 

I find it weird that every single one of the five kidults is allegedly happily going along with mommy and daddy to look at Christmas lights.  Every year, several of my family members do go out looking at Christmas lights, but it's not the same group every  year, and it was never everyone.  For example, that never interested my dad and he always chose to stay home.  My mom loves to go and does every year.  The regulars are usually my oldest sister and my mom, then one or two others.  Sometimes I go, other years I don't feel like it.  My son hasn't gone since he turned 14, but he used to like to go. 

My daughter comes home from Chicago maybe 2x a year. She sleeps in her old room, which still has some junk she didn't take with her. But at the Christmas break, we're lucky if we see her. She's a social butterfly and sees all of her old friends. I am telling her this year, I get one whole day with her. Since I paid for her tickets it's not much to ask. Her brother who is older still lives at home, but he's on unemployment and can't afford to move out. But he'd better get a job soon because he's driving me nuts. 

My son is graduating from high school in June and plans to join the armed services and leave immediately after graduation.  I'm still hoping he'll change his mind and apply to college instead.  Either way, my nearly grown kiddo is ready to spread his wings and fly.  I imagine when he returns home for a visit, it will go exactly as you described in the bolded part above.  I'll have to insist he spend some time with his mother got dam it!

It would be  a nice tradition that brings the family together if everyone had a life outside the family. But as everyone is stuck anyway it comes across a bit condescending like arranging a bingo afternoon for  seniors who would rather go Christmas shopping and to grab a beer.

They may do a special "prayer and fasting" version this year, where they turn up empty handed and offer prayers and wailing in lieu of carols and gifts.

Finally, I have to wonder how many of their customer/fans/blog readers get a sinking feeling at the sight of so many adults in the back of Mom and Dad's car.  This is not a future many people would choose for their kids.  Yeah, it would be one thing if they were all teenagers, but 20 and 30 somethings?  That's just sad. I would guess that most fundie Christians want to retain their children's hearts and avoid rebellious teenagers but they also don't want to end up with 5 grown children still living at home, some of them with no future prospects other than living with Mom and Dad until death.

Regarding the bolded stuff - yes, this was my thought as well when I saw that picture.  I have a feeling that this is one of several reasons why the conference circuit slowed to a crawl over the last few years.

I'm waiting for the yearly caroling extravaganza.  Wonder what the baked offerings will be?

Do they only sing hymns, or do they sing songs like "Jingle Bells," that people are actually familiar with? 

Regarding the bolded stuff - yes, this was my thought as well when I saw that picture.  I have a feeling that this is one of several reasons why the conference circuit slowed to a crawl over the last few years.

So true. If you've bought their books and sheltered and isolated your kids like Steve and Teri said and all you have to look forward to are 30-something stay-at-home adults...yikes.  

Do they only sing hymns, or do they sing songs like "Jingle Bells," that people are actually familiar with? 

Heck, do they even sing some old traditional folk carols like the Sussex Carol, Bring a Torch or I Saw Three Ships?

Somehow they think that their lifestyle is a great advertisement for God? Everyone, stunt your kids' development and cut their wings because Jesus? Treat them as children forever because the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children? (Matthew 19)

Sometimes those smiles seem so forced, like the kidults know they're being screwed over. Where exactly in the Bible does it say that unmarried daughters should never live like reasonable  adults do?

Right after "thou shalt not drink Pepsi" and "contrasting buttons are an abomination unto the Lord."  I think it's in the book of Hokum ...where we also find the admonision to "goeth thee to thine airport to look upon the harlots with scorn and condemnation."

Well, considering that "row, row, row your boat" is an immoral, godless heathen chant, I'm going to guess that "Jingle Bells" is some kind of pagan mumbo-jumbo. You can have a lovely somber O Come, O Come, Emmanuel instead.

(I can't snark- O Come, O Come is my favorite Christmas song:pb_biggrin: )

Jingle Bells is full of sexual innuendo. You gotta jingle all the way... and they're having fun riding... not good.

Months ago? They planned it YEARS ago and carefully schedule it into each years calendar, same time and date, sane route, same CD in the car, same scheduled hot chocolate upon return to Maxhell.

I talk to my mum most days, even if neither of us have anything much to say. It's just the relationship we have. When j was younger and when I was working full time I talked to her less, maybe once a week, but while I'm a SAHM we talk a lot more

Not only was it scheduled in advance, they also probably consulted last year's notes on what houses were best, which were too worldly, what stoplights were too long and where the bumps in the road were that made the CD skip, so the could plan it better this year.

Jingle Bells is full of sexual innuendo. You gotta jingle all the way... and they're having fun riding... not good.

And you sit next to Miss Fanny Bright. Who is she? Does she know where she's going when she dies?

That looking at the lights post made me cry. Grown adults crammed in a van with their parents, driving around to see the pretty lights listening to the same CD as the past however many years...dear Jesus, help your fans. They need it; they are wasting life, space and air. They are not living in the least, they are merely existing.

When I think of what my family & friends do during the holidays, as family groups and friend groups, it blows my mind how much these people are intentionally choosing to miss and ignore and label as evil. 

The girls are never going to find husbands when they're strapped in a car between siblings and parents. 

I honestly cannot even form coherent sentences about this. It simply does not compute and my brain struggles to even find an analogy. 

Not only was it scheduled in advance, they also probably consulted last year's notes on what houses were best, which were too worldly, what stoplights were too long and where the bumps in the road were that made the CD skip, so the could plan it better this year.

But despite all that, they still forgot to buy lettuce! 

I don't think they've been looking at lights yet this year. I think Teri just wrote the post and went looking for a photo of the children in the van to go with the post. It's too bad they didn't take the time to stage a photo of all of them wearing matching scarves and hats and mittens. Oh, well, there's always next year.

Well, more like three years from now. You know, when someone finally remembers to add scarves to the traditional Christmas lights/Bible CD minivan family extravaganza planning spreadsheet in Excel.

It makes no sense to me why they sat like that. It would make so much more sense for the boys to be in one row and the girls in the other. I wonder when Teri will reconsider the assigned seating chart. [emoji1]

No mention of a stop for a DQ treat...maybe the kidults were naughty and mommy and daddy took the post light viewing treat away????

In my family (plus visiting extended family), it would be something like:

"Hey everyone, let's go bundle up and drive around to look at the lights! We can listen to NPR while we drive and maybe we'll stop by Starbucks on the way!"

"Do we have enough designated drivers?"

"....Fuck it, let's drink more wine and nearly get into a brawl over whether Mark Bittman or Ina Garten is a better cookbook writer."

okay, now I'm wondering which of my adult offspring you are. Except it would be a local indie coffee shop, not Starbucks. I'm the only one in the family that patronizes Starbucks.

Right after "thou shalt not drink Pepsi" and "contrasting buttons are an abomination unto the Lord."  I think it's in the book of Hokum ...where we also find the admonision to "goeth thee to thine airport to look upon the harlots with scorn and condemnation."

For the love of independent adulthood, please tell me about the buttons.

I'm dying here. :my_biggrin::u-rock:

And yet, they will get in the car and realize they forgot to fill it with gas. Or that Steve/Teri/whoever drives didn't renew their driver's license. Because they're so awesome at planning, you guys!

Not gonna lie, I'd totally sit in the back of my parents car and go see some Christmas lights. Of course, I don't see them that often so it's definitely not the same thing. When they do it it's just sad. Everything they do is laced with sadness...

Everything they do is laced with sadness...

I feel it too. Like they're pretending at life rather than living it. 

Archived