IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 8: They Call Him Choo Choo?

happy atheist

Yes lux. It's not about this life!!

As for the food quality (and cleaning ability too) perhaps this is just another way of saying what people are already saying, but it's really about standards and what you grew up with. Sure, people will exceed those standards at times, but total breaks are rare.

I do have to say, the amount of starch and (fatty) dairy they consume is a lot. I'm not a chocolate = acne person but I'd venture to guess the skin problems a lot of them have would be solved with a more balanced diet. Everyone is correct that it is not hard BUT these were basically kids raising kids and as more and more TV happened less and less homemaking appeared to happen. They were on missions, trips and other fabricated adventures. I'd actually guess they ate out on TLC or someone else's dime a lot.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised many of of their kids don't seem to know how to really cook...does Meechelle ever cook? Have we ever seen her do anything in the kitchen? (tater tot casserole excluded) Meechelle's jurisdiction was nursing infants. So I think she could get a lactation consultant certificate and pull her own weight in the family and contribute.

I think by the time we graduate high school it'd be nice to know how to cook at least  5 basic meals...then again it's not like you can afford any fresh foods once you hit university but ya know ;) (I can get extremely creative with ramen and eggs and spices though :P)  

The Duggars do say women are meant to stay at home to be "homemakers" which includes cleaning the house, "pleasing" their husband, taking care of children, educating/homeschooling those children, cooking, and being cheerful while doing it all.

If one of their main duties is cooking meals for the family then the women should have some major cooking skills and knowledge of healthy choices to feed those billion children they want. There is really no excuse these days. There are tons of recipe books with pictures (they can be checked out for free at the library), videos online with step-by-step instructions, cooking blogs, and lots of information about what is healthy. Eat less (or no) meat, little dairy and sugar. Eat more fruits and vegetables. There you go. Easy as pie... don't eat too much pie. Yeah, just because you know what's healthy doesn't mean you will do it - but you/they know (and choose to ignore it) even through one of the only things the women are "in charge" of is providing nutrients for those little people. Plus eating vegetarian/vegan is cheaper then not, so cost doesn't play into it.   

What does their homeschooling even consist of (other then a Bible study & their interpretation of the book) if those life skills aren't taught? Those girls should all be master chefs by the time they are ready to be married off!          

There's nothing wrong with comfort food or convenience food in moderation. As long as your overall diet is reasonably nutritious, you're not going to die from a plate of chickenetti or whatever.

However...

1.) From the way the Duggars portray themselves, the majority of their diet seems pretty unhealthy. Most of what they post about involves food high in sodium, high in fat, and with extremely processed components. Over time that is likely to take a toll on a person's physical health, and that toll can also affect the person's emotional well-being  

I've been thinking about the poor food quality. The Duggars didn't have a lot of money before TLC came along. At that point they had 13+ children. Making things like chicken-etti was probably the cheapest way to make the kids feel full.  Now that they do have money, there is less of an excuse. They could afford to eat healthier meals. Maybe they prefer what they grew up eating. Or just too lazy to figure out how to cook and prepare other things. 

Some small children have trouble digesting dairy products but outgrow it.  That is not the same as lactose intolerance, but Michelle may not know the difference.

Regarding what Josie could eat if she is lactose intolerant, things made with mayonnaise are safe because mayonnaise does not have lactose in it.  Aged cheeses are fairly low in lactose and, depending on how they are heated/cooked, they may be fine.  Cream (or butter) is usually fine in small amounts. The general rule is "the greater the fat content the lower the lactose."  I would worry more about the lack of vegetables and the high fat in the Duggar diet than on lactose intolerance (whether real or imaginary).

Fat in your diet isn't as bad as people make it out to be (and actually for Josie, a higher-fat diet may be beneficial because it's linked with improving neurological problems -- sometimes kids with epilepsy are put on the ketogenic diet to help control seizures), but I agree on the lack of vegetables. How in the heck don't those kids have scurvy?

Fat in your diet isn't as bad as people make it out to be (and actually for Josie, a higher-fat diet may be beneficial because it's linked with improving neurological problems -- sometimes kids with epilepsy are put on the ketogenic diet to help control seizures), but I agree on the lack of vegetables. How in the heck don't those kids have scurvy?

you are correct but "healthy" people consume good quality fats like avocado and certain oils. Not.....velveeta and cream soup. 

I just dont don't understand how they are all so tiny!!!

Why is it that when I quote someone, I get that quote nested in another one completely unrelated to it?

This is America--land of the free, home of the fortified cereals.

You can't salvage anything from Velveeta. That shit is weird and disgusting. :pb_lol: 

I have a love/hate relationship with Velveeta.  I grew up eating Velveeta grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's canned tomato soup.  

I still LOOOOVE that combo.

I do eat (and like!) more "grownup" grilled cheese and tomato soup now, but Velveeta and Campbell's will always be comfort food for me.

I do agree that "processed cheese food" is weird and disgusting.... I just ignore that when getting my comfort food on.   :my_smile:

you are correct but "healthy" people consume good quality fats like avocado and certain oils. Not.....velveeta and cream soup. 

Michelle's disordered eating habits being passed down, most likely.

Jill just posted a new photo of Derick and Izzy. Do Izzy's eyes look like a child with Down's Syndrome? Or am I totally off base? I have a friend with a little boy who is a Down's child and the eyes are so similar. I also have a friend who's child was diagnosed with a rare syndrome, at the same age,  with Koolen-DeVries Syndrome. 

When you mentioned seasonings, it reminded me of the robust spice cupboard Jessa showed us all in their new place after they got married. I think those were a gift? I wonder if they're getting much use. Then again, I think Jessa and Ben have a better sense of how to eat, because of Ben's interests. Jessa has mentioned they try to eat lean proteins and veggies, I think.

Except when she was gestating and was photographed consuming Arby's, Tacos, Chick Fil A, Frozen Yogurt and with a bajillion toppings, Ice cream, Starbucks....always with the comment, a rare treat. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!

And that folks, is one of the reasons that you birth a nearly 10 lb baby.

Except when she was gestating and was photographed consuming Arby's, Tacos, Chick Fil A, Frozen Yogurt and with a bajillion toppings, Ice cream, Starbucks....always with the comment, a rare treat. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!

It makes me glad that Instagram wasn't around when I was pregnant. The world would have seen me making sweet, sweet love, to a box of Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies, on the daily. I gained 50+ pounds each pregnancy, thanks to my love affair, with one Little Miss Debbie. 

There's nothing wrong with comfort food or convenience food in moderation. As long as your overall diet is reasonably nutritious, you're not going to die from a plate of chickenetti or whatever.

However...

1.) From the way the Duggars portray themselves, the majority of their diet seems pretty unhealthy. Most of what they post about involves food high in sodium, high in fat, and with extremely processed components. Over time that is likely to take a toll on a person's physical health, and that toll can also affect the person's emotional well-being.

2.) The Duggars have set themselves up as self-proclaimed lifestyle experts. I couldn't care less if, say, my neighbors are serving chickenetti every night - that's their decision, and it doesn't affect anyone but them. Someone who puts their choices out for public viewing is going to get more scrutiny than someone who keeps their business to themselves. When someone is trying to advise others, it's worth forming an opinion about whether it's good advice. I don't feel at all sorry for the Duggars that not all the opinions about what they choose to make public are positive. When your personal choices are all over TV and the internet, that's what happens.

3.) The Duggars have a lot of kids, but they also have a lot of hands to make light work. Even an elementary school child can start learning to help Mom or Dad with basic food prep. Nor does it have to cost a lot - you can grow fresh vegetables in your garden if you're willing to invest some effort in it. I don't think it's that the Duggars aren't able to obtain healthy meals, I think it's that they choose not to prioritize it... and again, since they're public figures, they're putting their priorities out there for others to have an opinion on. 

And we are back to the main point.

Duggar Priorities=

Procreation

Grifting

No time for homeschooling, gardening, cooking, cleaning, working, skills obtainment, character development, interpersonal relationships, communication, individuality....

It's backazzwards and detrimental to all but JB Duggar.

I am glad that ever evil is being revealed.

Bring on the IRS audit- 

I just read the recent post on the Dillards' Blog. It is unclear just who is writing the post, but I did notice that when the Spanish teacher was referenced, the pronoun "MY" was used and not "OUR" teacher (this was done more than once). It seems that either A) the person who scribed the note is not a good writer, B) only one person is taking Spanish classes or C) There is more than one teacher.

I loved the first comment-

My guess is restricted portion sizes. It's been noted many times that Josh gained a lot of weight when he married, moved out, and had more to eat. The girls also eat a lot of iceberg salad- or at least, that's what they said on the show.

I just read the recent post on the Dillards' Blog. It is unclear just who is writing the post, but I did notice that when the Spanish teacher was referenced, the pronoun "MY" was used and not "OUR" teacher (this was done more than once). It seems that either A) the person who scribed the note is not a good writer, B) only one person is taking Spanish classes or C) There is more than one teacher.

I loved the first comment-

Any of these are possible,  but I have noticed in all of their updates, whether Jill or Derrick is writing, they are terrible writers. I doubt grammar was a high priority in the Duggar household.

Pickles!  (The answer for why they don't have scurvy.) :kitty-wink:

Or maybe the bad diet just explains the craving for pickles.  Those pickles are important somehow.

As for the fat in the diet, I agree.  I wasn't demonizing fat, just pointing out the imbalance in their diet.

I wouldn't be so sure about that being the primary reason - I was pretty... indulgent during my recent pregnancy and ended up with a 6.5 pounder. And neither my husband nor I are particularly tiny.

Most americans eat foods similar to the Duggars' recipes. It's just odd that Michelle trains all her daughters to become "domestic goddesses", yet they can't legitimately cook. I'm blaming it on Michelle's laziness. Someone isn't going to know how to cook appetizing dishes if no one taught them how to cook with fresh ingredients. I wonder if they season their food? Reading the recipes on their website it sounds like a lot of mush......seasoning can make a big difference. 

Don't you go lumping me in with the Duggars!!! :pb_lol:

I do agree a good number of Americans probably have some recipes that are similar to this or other Duggar concoctions. Growing up, we never ate stuff like this. The closest we got to it was probably a Chicken dish using a can of Campbell's Cheddar Broccoli soup and served with rice - as an adult, I cut up a broccoli crown and add that too. Not the best for you, but definitely healthier than what Jill made.

The one thing I'm really legitimately looking forward to when I stop working next week is the fact that I can finally have time to cook some real and healthy meals for myself and husband. We love food and love to try new things, so it should be really fun (said no Duggar ever)!

And yes, 100% of the blame is on Michelle for this.

Jill just posted a new photo of Derick and Izzy. Do Izzy's eyes look like a child with Down's Syndrome? Or am I totally off base? I have a friend with a little boy who is a Down's child and the eyes are so similar. I also have a friend who's child was diagnosed with a rare syndrome, at the same age,  with Koolen-DeVries Syndrome. 

His eyes are very similar to his mother's eyes. I don't think his eye shape indicates anything other than the Duggar genes being strong in him.

And why didn't the Dillards hand carry a crockpot to CA? I have taken my daughter a crock pot, dishes, pots, pans, a vacuum, tools- big ones like saws, tile cutters... things that are either unavailable or cost prohibitive in here South American country.

The Duggars spent the last 10 years telling the world how much better their way is- as if grifting is something to aspire to. Far as I can tell, they couldn't figure out how to remove a wet paper bag from their heads. And further, it's uncanny that every person who marries into Duggarville suddenly gets stupid and lazy as well.

NO, JB, your way is NOT better.

I am sure there's more than 1 crockpot sitting in a Duggar storage unit.

A crockpot is a busy parent's/ working parent's dream and savior.They allow getting healthy, home cooked meals on the table in a timely fashion.

Don't you go lumping me in with the Duggars!!! :pb_lol:

I do agree a good number of Americans probably have some recipes that are similar to this or other Duggar concoctions. Growing up, we never ate stuff like this. The closest we got to it was probably a Chicken dish using a can of Campbell's Cheddar Broccoli soup and served with rice - as an adult, I cut up a broccoli crown and add that too. Not the best for you, but definitely healthier than what Jill made.

The one thing I'm really legitimately looking forward to when I stop working next week is the fact that I can finally have time to cook some real and healthy meals for myself and husband. We love food and love to try new things, so it should be really fun (said no Duggar ever)!

And yes, 100% of the blame is on Michelle for this.

Agreed. I think my prior snark on the Chickenetti recipe probably reeked of food snobbery, but I genuinely love cooking and healthy, fresh ingredients so much that it's easy to forget that many people view cooking in the same way that I view, say, gardening. (I hate you, yard work!) I find cooking to be both a creative outlet and a stress reliever. Something that would greatly benefit all of these Fundie SAHMs if they were given the opportunity to embrace it.

I do agree with you! I am working for people with Down's Syndrome and they have the same cute eyes. However, I don't think it's the case for Israel. I think it's the filter's photo. 

I thought that momentarily when I saw that photo too, but we've seen dozens of him with his eyes looking normal.  I think it's just the lighting in the photo combined with him screwing his eyes up a bit with that big smile.  He looks like he's really enjoying himself.  He's a cutie, I think.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived