IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 8: They Call Him Choo Choo?

happy atheist

Only idiots would do this, like Jill. Any rational sane person with a REAL midwife would have been at the hospital 12 hours after the water broke with no real progress in labor. 

Well I guess that makes me neither rational nor sane. :pb_rollseyes:

My water broke around 5 pm on Friday. I never had regular contractions. My midwife (CNM) gave me 24 hours from the time my water broke to be at home and try to get labor started. At 5 pm Saturday, I checked in to L&D to get pitocin. 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I am such an odd-ball. Haha! I still remember the pain vividly 2 years later...unfortunately. Not to say I wouldn't do it again. But I do remember it.

And having a 2 year old is a breeze compared to those first 6 months. I am so not a newborn person.

Oh god I am not a newborn person either! When my best friend was pregnant with her second, when her first and my twins were all 2.5, I congratulated her and asked if she wished she could give birth to a 3 month old. Her answer was, "No, a 6 month old!"

Oh god I am not a newborn person either! When my best friend was pregnant with her second, when her first and my twins were all 2.5, I congratulated her and asked if she wished she could give birth to a 3 month old. Her answer was, "No, a 6 month old!"

My mom flat-out told me that she has always loved me, but she's really only LIKED me now (early-mid twenties) and when I was six months old, because now I'm an adult she can relate to and have actual conversations with, and at six months, I was cute and had personality, but not enough motor/verbal skills to object to the cute outfits she put on me.

The Dillards just updated their blog (11-23).  HIghlights included:

We should pray for their Spanish teacher and her sons, so they can know the special brand of Jeebus that the Dillards are promoting

And Derick found an orthodonist to fix something that broke off in his mouth

Oh- and Izzy has learned new skills every day (which is cute and great, seriously.)

But it does not sound like they are ministering to anyone outside of their Spanish teacher and family.    (?)

What stood out to me in their blog update was that apparently after giving their Spanish teacher a bible, the teacher asked if "she and I could study it together an hour a day in class." And then the next day they spent three hours in class talking about the Bible! I hope they were talking about it in Spanish, otherwise what is the point of going to Spanish class at all?

And they're spending more time passing out "gospel tracts" in the community. This part made me laugh, as I've been handed approximately a million gospel tracts in my life and remain an atheist. (And I was raised in a Southern Baptist household, but my amazing parents let me stop going to church when I told them I didn't like it at eight years old). Point being: gospel tracts are useless.

No because I have many friends who have also had good births. All a bit different of course. A few have had extremely hard births. Most of my friends opt for natural childbirth, but will go for meds etc... if indicated. I never lay down when I'm in labor. I am on my feet or knees the entire time and that makes it much easier. Most ladies are made to lay in a hospital bed for hours and hours and honestly that just makes the whole process take longer and hurt more. I don't advocate for ignorance- quite the opposite. If you want a natural delivery you need to educate yourself on it because our culture is not oriented toward natural birth at all. I just find it ironic that the ladies who know nothing (because they don't know they're pregnant) seem to have good births and I in part attribute that to their lack of fear and going to the hospital later in the process-thus fewer interventions. I like the unassistedchildbirth website because it has been helpful for me to read lots of positive empowering birth stories to get my mind oriented in a place of confidence that my body is fully capable of this work. The body that made this baby will deliver this baby. That sort of thing. 

The bold part - That's pretty much a given though, right? I mean...no matter what the method, that's what will happen.

Our hospital was very much into natural delivery. I took their baby class and yes, it mentioned medications. But it also talked a lot about unmedicated birth. And different laboring positions. The hospital encourages women to walk the halls. To use a birthing ball. To try various positions. They also have rooms with tubs (though they are just for labor, not delivery.) The only time you HAVE to lay in bed is if you get an epidural. I think you can still get onto your side with that though.

Well I guess that makes me neither rational nor sane. :pb_rollseyes:

My water broke around 5 pm on Friday. I never had regular contractions. My midwife (CNM) gave me 24 hours from the time my water broke to be at home and try to get labor started. At 5 pm Saturday, I checked in to L&D to get pitocin. 

Yeah, I haven't heard of a 12 hour cut off. I was told that they like to get the baby out by 24 hours past water breaking because of risk of infection increasing.

The bold part - That's pretty much a given though, right? I mean...no matter what the method, that's what will happen.

Our hospital was very much into natural delivery. I took their baby class and yes, it mentioned medications. But it also talked a lot about unmedicated birth. And different laboring positions. The hospital encourages women to walk the halls. To use a birthing ball. To try various positions. They also have rooms with tubs (though they are just for labor, not delivery.) The only time you HAVE to lay in bed is if you get an epidural. I think you can still get onto your side with that though.

Yeah, I haven't heard of a 12 hour cut off. I was told that they like to get the baby out by 24 hours past water breaking because of risk of infection increasing.

I was told that if you go more than 12 hours after your water breaks are not in a good labor pattern to get to the hospital. get to the hospital if you haven't delivered after 24. I guess I stated incorrectly I should have said  anyone with a brain after 24 hours would have headed to the hospital. My water broke with my 1st at 36 weeks and I was put on the evil pitocen right away because 2 hours later I hadn't had a single contraction and I wasn't dilated or effaced in the slightest.  Sadly since my water had broken and I was premature I was strapped to the bed, I wasn't allowed to move around at all, and it was horrible. 

When I was in labor with DS2, they wanted to do an emergency c-section, because, as my OB told me, I failed the "labor curve". I raised holy hell in that room, and said the colorful version of "you aren't cutting me open, if I don't know what you are even talking about". She tried to tell me what it was, I didn't understand what it was then, and I understand it even less now. 

My fabulous labor nurse, actually took my side, and went to talk to my OB. We compromised and said that I had until 8 p.m., to push that baby out. DS2 was born at 7:50 p.m. I told my OB, that my body is slow to start, then it goes into warp speed. It took me 12 hours on the max dose of Pitocin to gor from 1cm-5cm. It took me 20mins to go from 5cm to fully dialated and crowning, and my nurse telling me NOT to push (btw, that is really hard to do). My OB was on her way home to tuck her kids into bed, when she got the call I was ready.

My OB was pretty awesome though (barring the labor curve dabacle). After I popped out DS (and popped out is accurate), she apologized to me, for doubting me and my warp speed description. Plus, I got a really cute bib from her, that had a little chick on it. 

Here's my analysis: Could the Dillards have done all these things in the US for the low low price of "free and you don't even have to quit your job!"? Let's do that analysis...

1) Taken Spanish classes - we sure do have those state side. For a more authentic experience, they could move into a bilingual community.
2) Having friends over for movies - got that stateside too!
3) Orthodontists a plenty! 
4) I still have never been handed a tract in the good ol USA. The Dillards didn't make the most of their time here, clearly!
5) Local areas and communities are also universal.
6) And men's bible study too!

But it doesn't count unless you make other people pay for it and serve it with a side of white savoir complex, I guess. 

They ask for wisdom in cultural immersion but seeing how they don't mesh well with their own culture (and I don't even mean clothes I mean like sensibilities on not scamming money) I can't see any number of prayers helping.

Has it even been confirmed that Jill is actually taking Spanish classes?

Was this entire ploy a way to get Derick to quit his "working for another" job and for TLC filming purposes?

Wonder what the Dillards will do once the specials are over?

What about the Seewalds?

Will JB still be willing to pay Ben to do what his own unemployed, adult sons/daughters could be doing for free? I mean, how's that "saving the difference"?

These folks are desperate for money.

What stood out to me in their blog update was that apparently after giving their Spanish teacher a bible, the teacher asked if "she and I could study it together an hour a day in class." And then the next day they spent three hours in class talking about the Bible! I hope they were talking about it in Spanish, otherwise what is the point of going to Spanish class at all?

And they're spending more time passing out "gospel tracts" in the community. This part made me laugh, as I've been handed approximately a million gospel tracts in my life and remain an atheist. (And I was raised in a Southern Baptist household, but my amazing parents let me stop going to church when I told them I didn't like it at eight years old). Point being: gospel tracts are useless.

My thoughts on the bolded:

1. I wonder if the Bible they gave their teacher was in Spanish or in English.

2. If I had been their teacher, I would have asked about studying the Bible in class also, for three reasons:(A) you do better with a student if the student is motivated by the materials (B) the alternative might have been to have to listen to Jill and Derrick try to convert me after class and (C) if they discuss the Bible during class time (whether in Spanish or in English) I would be paid for my time.

3. I wonder what language the tracts are written in.  I will also note that once upon a time, in the Dominican Republic, a woman who cleaned house for my mom asked my mom not to throw away certain tracts that were being passed out by some group or another but to save them for her.  She explained that the paper was "very soft."   (Translation: the woman was saving it for toilet paper. Not everyone can afford toilet paper.)

:dramallama-nanner:  There are no llamas (that i know of) in El Salvador, but plenty of bananas.

3. I wonder what language the tracts are written in.  I will also note that once upon a time, in the Dominican Republic, a woman who cleaned house for my mom asked my mom not to throw away certain tracts that were being passed out by some group or another but to save them for her.  She explained that the paper was "very soft."   (Translation: the woman was saving it for toilet paper. Not everyone can afford toilet paper.)

:dramallama-nanner:  There are no llamas (that i know of) in El Salvador, but plenty of bananas.

That is hilarious. Best use for a tract I've heard yet. :special-snowflake1:

That is hilarious. Best use for a tract I've heard yet. :special-snowflake1:

That one almost made me spit my drink onto the screen. The thought of the uber saintly Duggars tracts being used as toilet paper just gives me the giggles. They would be horrified and appalled and that makes it even better. I have been handed many tracts and they are usually put into the next recycle/trash can that I pass.

They could do all they are doing in the States. We have many people they could help or minister to and not even need to learn a language. But, it would not seem as cool and not as vacation like. They are fooling no one but themselves.

I had 48 hours to deliver from the time my water broke. After that, I would have gotten antibiotics.

That one almost made me spit my drink onto the screen. The thought of the uber saintly Duggars tracts being used as toilet paper just gives me the giggles. They would be horrified and appalled and that makes it even better. I have been handed many tracts and they are usually put into the next recycle/trash can that I pass.

They could do all they are doing in the States. We have many people they could help or minister to and not even need to learn a language. But, it would not seem as cool and not as vacation like. They are fooling no one but themselves.

Yes, there are probably millions of Catholics in the United States.  Why not stay stateside and hang out on Sunday mornings on the church steps of any number of Catholic churches and hand out their religious tracts?  Seems to me, they prefer ministering to a captive audience, i.e., their Spanish instructor.  That person doesn't want to risk offending them and losing the income, so of course they will be happy to discuss the bible for hours on end - hopefully in Spanish.  But imagine the reception they would get if they tried to convert mainstream U.S. Catholics.   Would love to see some of that action.

The Spanish teacher wanting to read the Bible with them raises a question. Do these fundies ever meet anyone who doesn't have a come to Jesus moment with them? Why does everyone suddenly want to pray with them or learn about Jesus? They make it seem that few people have heard of Jesus and people are shocked to hear his name and what he stood for. Oh wait, Jill and Derrick don't know what Jesus stood for since they have not shown themselves to care about the poor, sick, homeless or pretty much anyone not named Duggar. I would love to hear Jill and Derrick try to bring someone to Jesus. Charismatic they are not. Can you imagine Jill with her repetitive "like" and "you know" actually getting people interested in anything other than making her stop talking?

The Spanish teacher wanting to read the Bible with them raises a question. Do these fundies ever meet anyone who doesn't have a come to Jesus moment with them? Why does everyone suddenly want to pray with them or learn about Jesus? They make it seem that few people have heard of Jesus and people are shocked to hear his name and what he stood for. Oh wait, Jill and Derrick don't know what Jesus stood for since they have not shown themselves to care about the poor, sick, homeless or pretty much anyone not named Duggar. I would love to hear Jill and Derrick try to bring someone to Jesus. Charismatic they are not. Can you imagine Jill with her repetitive "like" and "you know" actually getting people interested in anything other than making her stop talking?

It is my theory that the Spanish teacher agreed to discuss the Bible just to shut Jill up.  "Why don't you use your Spanish class time to tell me more about your religion?" is a good way to get paid for listening to the Good News that is probably not news to you.

I also have doubts that Jill is capable of reading the Bible (and understanding it) in English, never mind reading it and discussing it in Spanish.  The "discussion of the Bible" with the Spanish teacher probably consisted of Jill nodding and looking approvingly at Derrick while he practiced proselytizing in Spanish.  

And I have to wonder what parts of the Bible they are using to convert the Catholics to Independent Baptists.

I defiantly am more of a toddler person then Baby. 

Yes, there are probably millions of Catholics in the United States.  Why not stay stateside and hang out on Sunday mornings on the church steps of any number of Catholic churches and hand out their religious tracts?  Seems to me, they prefer ministering to a captive audience, i.e., their Spanish instructor.  That person doesn't want to risk offending them and losing the income, so of course they will be happy to discuss the bible for hours on end - hopefully in Spanish.  But imagine the reception they would get if they tried to convert mainstream U.S. Catholics.   Would love to see some of that action.

I'd love to see how they'd react to the churches near me that fly huge rainbow flags to show members of the LGBTQ community that they are welcome there.

Funny story: I overheard someone talking about missionary work and he said he didn't do any proselytizing. His friend thought he said prostititing and was confused. :pb_lol:

Not to mention what the money they would save by staying stateside could do in Guatemala without requiring their presence. Instead of sending a freshly qualified, inexperienced midwife all the way from the United States, what if that money could have gone toward training a Guatemalan woman from a poor community who wanted to learn midwifery? It would provide the community with a midwife who is likely to stick around permanently, unlike Jill, because her roots would be local. It would bring economic benefit to the woman and her family. She would already be intimately familiar with the culture and would be a native speaker of the language, so she wouldn't require time or resources to be spent on classes about how to acclimate or communicate. Etc. etc.

It would be one thing if Jill had years of experience and could actually be a teaching midwife herself, but that's not the case. She doesn't bring anything to the table that couldn't be achieved as well if not better by training a local worker. Jill and Derrick clearly want an overseas adventure (and of course to live on "support" rather than earned income)... but that isn't really supposed to be the point.

Haven't we confirmed that Jill and Derick are using a "Christian" (by which they mean "evangelical") language school anyway? It would be hilarious to me if they spent all this time trying to convert their Spanish teacher and weren't proficient enough to understand that the teacher was one of the few evangelical Christians all along.

Guys, have we talked about Jill's newest recipe yet? It's five days old, so maybe I just missed it. If so, please someone direct me to where we snarked on this.

Jill's Chickenetti, and I'll copy it over here so you don't all have to give them clicks on their stupid blog:

Chicken Etti 

• 1 can cream of chicken soup 
  • 1/2 block Velveeta cheese 
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 2 chicken breasts (cooked and diced) 
  • 1 (1lb.) box spaghetti noodles 
  • grated cheddar cheese (enough to cover top of pan)

Instructions 

Cook noodles.  Cook chicken and dice into bite size pieces.  In saucepan over medium/low heat combine all ingredients and melt, stirring frequently to prevent burning.  Grease 9x13 inch pan.  Combine all ingredients in pan and top with cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees till cheese on top is melted.  Enjoy!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm! These fundie women are such good keepers of the home!

I hope they have a good cardiologist down there. The salt alone in the soup is killer. Add Velveeta cheese to that. The only non-processed ingredient is chicken & who knows, maybe that came in a can, too.

Guys, have we talked about Jill's newest recipe yet? It's five days old, so maybe I just missed it. If so, please someone direct me to where we snarked on this.

Jill's Chickenetti, and I'll copy it over here so you don't all have to give them clicks on their stupid blog:

Chicken Etti 

• 1 can cream of chicken soup 
  • 1/2 block Velveeta cheese 
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 2 chicken breasts (cooked and diced) 
  • 1 (1lb.) box spaghetti noodles 
  • grated cheddar cheese (enough to cover top of pan)

Instructions 

Cook noodles.  Cook chicken and dice into bite size pieces.  In saucepan over medium/low heat combine all ingredients and melt, stirring frequently to prevent burning.  Grease 9x13 inch pan.  Combine all ingredients in pan and top with cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees till cheese on top is melted.  Enjoy!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm! These fundie women are such good keepers of the home!

Now, I love me some cheesy creamy unhealthiness from time to time, but this just sounds gross and flavorless. Seriously, there's no flavor other than what the cream of chicken soup would provide (which isn't much). This recipe just sounds like it would taste like glue. Give me some bacon mac n' cheese over this glop any day.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived