IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 8: They Call Him Choo Choo?

happy atheist

Isn't Josie lactose intolerant? What the heck does she eat? 

"Others shall, but you shall not"  ~JChelle to Josie

Who knows if it's even true, she was seen in a photo a month or so ago eating ice creams with the other lost girls.  It could have been something lactose-free but I doubt it.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up I wasn't really taught how to cook. Most of what I learned to cook was because I was bored and had nothing to do during school breaks so I experimented. I learned how to cook a steak and fish before I figured out how to cook chicken. It took me even longer to figure out how to cook chicken on a stove top vs in the oven. I have yet figure out how to bake cookies. Every time I tried they just ended up being gross. 

Who knows if it's even true, she was seen in a photo a month or so ago eating ice creams with the other lost girls.  It could have been something lactose-free but I doubt it.

Some small children have trouble digesting dairy products but outgrow it.  That is not the same as lactose intolerance, but Michelle may not know the difference.

Regarding what Josie could eat if she is lactose intolerant, things made with mayonnaise are safe because mayonnaise does not have lactose in it.  Aged cheeses are fairly low in lactose and, depending on how they are heated/cooked, they may be fine.  Cream (or butter) is usually fine in small amounts. The general rule is "the greater the fat content the lower the lactose."  I would worry more about the lack of vegetables and the high fat in the Duggar diet than on lactose intolerance (whether real or imaginary).

Thank God my mama taught me how to cook healthy meals and run a household. According to her, those are things everybody (male and female) needs to learn.

I gotta say for as much as I love snarking on this ridiculous family (oh, hi, by the way, I've been lurking for literally YEARS!) there are a lot of food snobs on this forum. Yes, it's silly that the girls have been supposably trained up to be homemakers and they should know how to make better meals because of it.

However...what a minor thing to be upset about! I for one LOVE cream of meals. And canned veggies! ( In retrospect I know my parents must have bought canned veggies when we were kids to save money, and now I honestly prefer them to the fresh ones. ) Comfort foods are the best kind of foods to me. Jill shouldn't have to alter her meals to please the I-only-eat-organic/farm to table only/respect the nation you're ins custom foods people. Eat whatever the fuck you want, Jill!

I don't think anyone's saying her food has to be organic or farm to table, but that recipe is a hot mess and void of nutrition. It's packed with sodium, fat, and empty calories.  Also, I'll point out that if Jill is supposed to stay at home and Derick is supposed to support her forever, she should be making healthy meals to keep him in good health. Down the road when Jim Bob isn't as flush with cash and the leghumpers have lost interest, they'll be sunk if something happens to him. 

Besides, it's not overly difficult to make healthy food. I'm in grad school, was not raised to be a "domestic goddess" and I can do better than that. 

Post: That chicken recipe looks like an experiment some kid would do to combine maccaroni and chicken nuggets :cheesewedge:

Help It wont let me get that quote box off!!!

We've also seen her have explosive diarrhea. Coincidence? Hmmm. 

I have to admit I love Velveeta - with shells or another short cut pasta...spaghetti is a weird choice for it.

I would never post that recipe though, as someone else mentioned it sounds like something off of a box or a can.

I think it's OK as a guilty pleasure treat meal...but the problem with the Duggars is most of their meals seem to be like that. From the show it seemed like whenever they did add a vegetable to something it was canned.I still cringe at the epi where JB eating them right out of the can, eww, when he and Josh were working on getting healthy. Guess the memo never got to Duggarland that canned vegetables are just a few steps up from empty calories. I hardly do fresh vegetables because I'm notoriously bad for forgetting about things in the fridge...but cmon Duggars frozen vegetables come in big wholesale packs and they actually have nutritional value.

When the topic of food comes up with the Duggars I also can't stop thinking of Derick's recent post of the bread soaked in butter as aid to him gaining weight. Have they never heard of protein powders? Foods with healthy fats - nuts, avocados etc? The best he can come up with is bread and butter? I sure hope for his arteries sake that is not a bedtime snack every night.

ETA: Just reading the new replies...I am FAR from a food snob, I am a very picky eater myself and I love a good "free day" of eating things that aren't really healthy. But I try my best to balance things out. There are plenty of inexpensive, healthy, and quick meal choices that can be made for day to day meals.

I can't snark on food because my eating is very special. That is a really sensitive spot and it annoys me when people comment on it. Comments judging from my weight to my eating and things like that. Not being overweight, it is the opposite. Comments are equally horrible, believe me. Funny thing is: I am so damn picky, but that is a recipe I would eat. :-D 

Tonight I'm having noodles with gravy. My favourite food. That is all. No spices, because I like it plain. If it tastes like nothing, it is perfect. 

Vegetables? Haha, nope. Potatoes, that is all. Salad and everything related to that is also not my thing. I do like potato salad, but with few spices and no onions. 

I feel you! I really do! I am that way as well, I eat a lot of fruit but vegetables are just not my cup of tea. Nor do I get all the seasoning, not that my stomach can handle it anyway. I come from a family of picky eaters with highly sensitive stomachs and there is just nothing that we can do about it. 

Thank God my mama taught me how to cook healthy meals and run a household. According to her, those are things everybody (male and female) needs to learn.

normally I agree with you and normally I can cook a good and healthy meal - but tonight I wanted mac and cheese 

and i tried to make it - and It turned out badly :D 

I gotta say for as much as I love snarking on this ridiculous family (oh, hi, by the way, I've been lurking for literally YEARS!) there are a lot of food snobs on this forum. Yes, it's silly that the girls have been supposably trained up to be homemakers and they should know how to make better meals because of it.

However...what a minor thing to be upset about! I for one LOVE cream of meals. And canned veggies! ( In retrospect I know my parents must have bought canned veggies when we were kids to save money, and now I honestly prefer them to the fresh ones. ) Comfort foods are the best kind of foods to me. Jill shouldn't have to alter her meals to please the I-only-eat-organic/farm to table only/respect the nation you're ins custom foods people. Eat whatever the fuck you want, Jill!

Of course not. Personally, I couldn't give two shits about organics, but man if I had the opportunity to be surrounded by Salvadoran cuisine, I'd be in hog heaven trying my hand at cooking some of the local dishes. Especially if I grew up exposed to such a limited variety (and quality) of foods.

Where did Jill post this recipe?

On the Dillard Family blog. There's also a Pumpkin Stew recipe contributed by Cathy Dillard that looks pretty good.

It makes sense to me that the Duggars are such bad homemakers even though that's supposed to be their only purpose in life. After all, it's not like you can gain any real expertise and finesse when your primary goal is feeding over a dozen people on a budget, while at the same time home "schooling" several small children and caring for the basic needs of an infant and 2-3 toddlers. By the time budgets were no longer a concern and the kids got older, the habits were set. People who aren't into it aren't going to set out to learn a new way of cooking just because, especially when the ones they're cooking for are likely going to be unappreciative of their efforts. I come from a family of mostly picky eaters...while we're all big believers in seasoning our food well, not many of them want to stray much from the food they're used to eating. If I'm cooking for them, I stick to the same stuff I know they'll like, because the alternative is throwing pots at them when they see a dish they've never tried before and say, "I don't like that." 

Of course not. Personally, I couldn't give two shits about organics, but man if I had the opportunity to be surrounded by Salvadoran cuisine, I'd be in hog heaven trying my hand at cooking some of the local dishes. Especially if I grew up exposed to such a limited variety (and quality) of foods.

Unfortunately, Jill and all of her sibs are intellectually stunted. Curiosity, novelty and thinking out of the box were squelched in that family.

All they know is what daddy taught them- how to procreate and how to grift.

It makes sense to me that the Duggars are such bad homemakers even though that's supposed to be their only purpose in life. After all, it's not like you can gain any real expertise and finesse when your primary goal is feeding over a dozen people on a budget, while at the same time home "schooling" several small children and caring for the basic needs of an infant and 2-3 toddlers. By the time budgets were no longer a concern and the kids got older, the habits were set. People who aren't into it aren't going to set out to learn a new way of cooking just because, especially when the ones they're cooking for are likely going to be unappreciative of their efforts. I come from a family of mostly picky eaters...while we're all big believers in seasoning our food well, not many of them want to stray much from the food they're used to eating. If I'm cooking for them, I stick to the same stuff I know they'll like, because the alternative is throwing pots at them when they see a dish they've never tried before and say, "I don't like that." 

When you mentioned seasonings, it reminded me of the robust spice cupboard Jessa showed us all in their new place after they got married. I think those were a gift? I wonder if they're getting much use. Then again, I think Jessa and Ben have a better sense of how to eat, because of Ben's interests. Jessa has mentioned they try to eat lean proteins and veggies, I think.

When you mentioned seasonings, it reminded me of the robust spice cupboard Jessa showed us all in their new place after they got married. I think those were a gift? I wonder if they're getting much use. Then again, I think Jessa and Ben have a better sense of how to eat, because of Ben's interests. Jessa has mentioned they try to eat lean proteins and veggies, I think.

Oh please- everything that the parents of Spud showed was a gift - I doubt she is doing any cooking right now - she is not even posting pictures - only of Meredith - 

Ben is probably making her work out early than she should 

I feel you! I really do! I am that way as well, I eat a lot of fruit but vegetables are just not my cup of tea. Nor do I get all the seasoning, not that my stomach can handle it anyway. I come from a family of picky eaters with highly sensitive stomachs and there is just nothing that we can do about it. 

I understand! The only veggie I like cooked is Fried Okra other then that its raw for me. 

Looking up chickenetti on Pinterest-- woof, this dish does not photograph well. It looks so grey.

Incidentally, Anna's version of this recipe uses chicken broth where Jill's uses milk, and it also contains tomatoes and (as mentioned earlier) green peppers. I've seen other variations that include different veggies, the wildest one being this one that has celery, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, pimentos, parsley and incorporates worcestershire and tomato soup into the sauce!

PS @ClaraOswin, I have the same recipe! Sour cream and cheese are my star-crossed true love, so I adore that mess of a recipe but I try to make it only once a year or so, because I also adore... living.

Further contributing to the recipe thread drift, my official new favorite thing on which to munch is roasted Brussels sprouts. Just cut a bunch of sprouts in half, pour olive oil on a baking sheet, sprinkle on some coarse salt, black pepper, and minced fresh garlic, then let it all roast in the oven at 375 for about 15 minutes. Delicious, and Brussels sprouts, from my own experience shopping today, generally aren't terribly expensive.

I happened to catch an episode of Barefoot Contessa where Ina shredded brussel sprouts and cooked them on the stovetop - sauteed them.  I think it only took minutes.  I don't remember what spices, if any, she used.  

There's nothing wrong with comfort food or convenience food in moderation. As long as your overall diet is reasonably nutritious, you're not going to die from a plate of chickenetti or whatever.

However...

1.) From the way the Duggars portray themselves, the majority of their diet seems pretty unhealthy. Most of what they post about involves food high in sodium, high in fat, and with extremely processed components. Over time that is likely to take a toll on a person's physical health, and that toll can also affect the person's emotional well-being.

2.) The Duggars have set themselves up as self-proclaimed lifestyle experts. I couldn't care less if, say, my neighbors are serving chickenetti every night - that's their decision, and it doesn't affect anyone but them. Someone who puts their choices out for public viewing is going to get more scrutiny than someone who keeps their business to themselves. When someone is trying to advise others, it's worth forming an opinion about whether it's good advice. I don't feel at all sorry for the Duggars that not all the opinions about what they choose to make public are positive. When your personal choices are all over TV and the internet, that's what happens.

3.) The Duggars have a lot of kids, but they also have a lot of hands to make light work. Even an elementary school child can start learning to help Mom or Dad with basic food prep. Nor does it have to cost a lot - you can grow fresh vegetables in your garden if you're willing to invest some effort in it. I don't think it's that the Duggars aren't able to obtain healthy meals, I think it's that they choose not to prioritize it... and again, since they're public figures, they're putting their priorities out there for others to have an opinion on. 

Looking up chickenetti on Pinterest-- woof, this dish does not photograph well. It looks so grey.

Incidentally, Anna's version of this recipe uses chicken broth where Jill's uses milk, and it also contains tomatoes and (as mentioned earlier) green peppers. I've seen other variations that include different veggies, the wildest one being this one that has celery, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, pimentos, parsley and incorporates worcestershire and tomato soup into the sauce!

PS @ClaraOswin, I have the same recipe! Sour cream and cheese are my star-crossed true love, so I adore that mess of a recipe but I try to make it only once a year or so, because I also adore... living.

And maybe therein lies the issue. Deep down, the Duggars do NOT adore living. Their diets are a way of shortening their (physical) lifespans as they reach toward eternal life, leaving worldly problems like healthy eating far behind.

:burger::my_angel:

Thier sandwiches do come with pickles...

Chik filet does have a grilled chicken option.  It is pretty lean.  If you can have it in a salad it is about as healthy as you can get in fast food.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived