IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 8: They Call Him Choo Choo?

happy atheist

Those of you who had specific cravings when pregnant- do your children gravitate to those foods? My fist pregnancy craving was chocolate bullets.  My second pregnancy I craved fruit.  My eldest loves junk food, my second thinks mangoes are a treat.

My biggest craving was Pringles. My son hasn't been given them. But he's been given other chip-like salty snacks but he doesn't seem to like them. Except golfish crackers. I also craved a lot of fruit (which is something I've never been a huge fan of)...blood oranges and kiwi, specifically. He used to like kiwi though not so much lately. And he loves oranges.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those of you who had specific cravings when pregnant- do your children gravitate to those foods? My fist pregnancy craving was chocolate bullets.  My second pregnancy I craved fruit.  My eldest loves junk food, my second thinks mangoes are a treat.

My mom ate a ton of tuna and beets during all her pregnancies and we all hate them, so it definitely didn't work out like that for us.

The latest Britton Felber pictures of Allie Jane make my ovaries hurt. The one where she's making elephant ears? Oh my stars.

https://www.instagram.com/p/9rq_8sJAh-/?taken-by=webster4ever

Fuuuuuuuck this makes me actually want kids one day! Why'd you have to do this to me?? lol

My mom craved mashed potatoes hardcore all through her pregnancy with me and I am all about them spuds, bout them spuds...

My mother couldn't stand red meat while pregnant with me... I cannot stand red meat as a 24-year-old and never could. If the boyfriend is making hamburger from scratch, for example, I can't be in the room I get so sick. 

My mother also loved pasta and vegetables/fruits with me and those are definitely things I love!

Also jumping in to share my love for brussel sprouts <3 . I love them very much. Bacon and brussel sprouts together is amazing.

Mmm I love Brussels sprouts and diced pancetta. SO GOOD! Having that tonight in fact.

Is it even possible for a baby, especially a larger one, to flip at the last minute when the mother's water broke days age? Wouldn't it be hard for a baby to flip with little fluid in there?  And usually based on where you feel kicks, you can tell which direction they are facing.

Even with ROM (rupture of membranes), the body works to replace the fluid. In my mother's day, they talked about "a dry birth." This is a myth. However, as a former childbirth educator who has attended upwards of 250 births, including several dozen c-sections. I have observed only one baby who flipped to breech in early labor, and a few who, like Jillard's, were large for gestational age, and in trying to navigate through the pelvic inlet, twisted into a wonky transverse. None of these caught the staff by surprise, and none was an emergency section- just a decision that we would go to the back (OR) in an unhurried way. That is excluding a couple which became urgent due to things like late decelerations of the FHR, or suspected placental abruption. Most c-sections are not "emergencies." It makes for sensational press, though. <3

I would tend to say yes as with my second I ate at Taco Bell way too many times to admit and always had Dr. Pepper to drink. My second's favorite food on earth is yes, the taco and Dr. Pepper. It is almost scary what I my eating did to the boy.

I gotta say for as much as I love snarking on this ridiculous family (oh, hi, by the way, I've been lurking for literally YEARS!) there are a lot of food snobs on this forum. Yes, it's silly that the girls have been supposably trained up to be homemakers and they should know how to make better meals because of it.

However...what a minor thing to be upset about! I for one LOVE cream of meals. And canned veggies! ( In retrospect I know my parents must have bought canned veggies when we were kids to save money, and now I honestly prefer them to the fresh ones. ) Comfort foods are the best kind of foods to me. Jill shouldn't have to alter her meals to please the I-only-eat-organic/farm to table only/respect the nation you're ins custom foods people. Eat whatever the fuck you want, Jill!

Ugh, this is the worst thing about holidays with my midwestern husband's family. Cream of crap soup casseroles and nasty food no one should eat. They all LOVE it. We are having a second Thanksgiving tonight with food we are actually thankful for... steak, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade baked mac and cheese, Brussels sprouts with pancetta. I hardly ate anything yesterday because it's all cream of crap based and gross.

I have thought that ever since he was born. I'm glad it's not just me

I always think that about Izzy. Though I will say, in the NICU with our boys we thought one looked like he might have Down Syndrome and we mentioned it to a nurse and she could barely keep a straight face as she said no, the doctor isn't concerned that he might have DS. Heh. He was right, but in my defense, who knows what a 29 weeker is supposed to look like when most babies are born 11 weeks later!!

My mom ate a ton of tuna and beets during all her pregnancies and we all hate them, so it definitely didn't work out like that for us.

Craved mustard, one of my twins LOVES mustard and always has. The other hates it. I loved peaches while pregnant, but my twins hated peaches as babies.

I agree she's young, but experimenting?  They have been eating, serving and have had that Chickenetti recipe posted since the very beginning.  I'd give her a pass if it was something new at least, forget about healthy.

Well, these people are trying to convert Catholics to Christianity.  They think they have "news" about the Bible when the post the same old cliche quotes.  Michelle and Jim Bob will repost the same old blog posts whenever they feel a need to advise the world.  Clearly the Duggar idea of what is going to be new and exciting is pretty limited.  So the same old recipe for Chickenetti may be reposted in the same spirit.:kitty-wink:

My mother ate almost, apparently, exclusively peanut butter and orange juice while pregnant with me.
Orange juice is something I'm ambivalent about -- I'll drink it but I probably won't buy it at the store or spring for it.
Peanut butter I loathed (yes, I know) for 21 years and I know accept it as a thickener for African Peanut Soup and other variants of crockpot curries and as a good additive when you're making ramen noodles, but I won't eat it plain. The smell. I hate the smell. 

My mother was NOT a cook...she didn't like it and wasn't very good at it. Me? I LOVE to cook! Right now it's a challenge because my husband is diabetic and has a few other challenges with eating...so it's forced me to be even more inventive.

Childbirth...3 no drug deliveries.

Mama vs. mom/mommy...we're from the south and my 33 year old daughter STILL calls me mama.

Duggar girls and housekeeping skills...I was an only with a working mom and grew up to be a full time career type and I'm STILL a better housekeeper/decorator/cook than they are.

I've been thinking about the poor food quality. The Duggars didn't have a lot of money before TLC came along. At that point they had 13+ children. Making things like chicken-etti was probably the cheapest way to make the kids feel full.  Now that they do have money, there is less of an excuse. They could afford to eat healthier meals. Maybe they prefer what they grew up eating. Or just too lazy to figure out how to cook and prepare other things. 

They are essentially a real life version of the Beverly Hillbillies: yokels who happened to strike it rich but don't understand normal social expectations. They are most likely too uneducated to understand what the concern is about eating fatty processed food constantly. It also says a lot about how sheltered Jill is, that she thought that making a dish with Velveeta and Campbells soup would be a nice thing to serve to a guest in their home. 
I am from a blue collar Midwest family so when I grew up we certainly ate our share of things like Velveeta and one of my favorite comfort foods growing up was rice with cream of mushroom soup mixed into it, but I know enough to know that it would be considered kind of tacky to serve something like chicken etti to a guest as a "special" meal. 

Ugh, this is the worst thing about holidays with my midwestern husband's family. Cream of crap soup casseroles and nasty food no one should eat. They all LOVE it. We are having a second Thanksgiving tonight with food we are actually thankful for... steak, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade baked mac and cheese, Brussels sprouts with pancetta. I hardly ate anything yesterday because it's all cream of crap based and gross.

I always think that about Izzy. Though I will say, in the NICU with our boys we thought one looked like he might have Down Syndrome and we mentioned it to a nurse and she could barely keep a straight face as she said no, the doctor isn't concerned that he might have DS. Heh. He was right, but in my defense, who knows what a 29 weeker is supposed to look like when most babies are born 11 weeks later!!

ha! My own mom thought I looked "slow". lol. She asked her mom, my grandmother, what she thought, and my grandma pulled out a family album and showed her a picture of my mother around the same age when she was a baby. My mother took a look at it and a bunch of other old pictures of her siblings, and exclaimed, "My God! We all look like there's something wrong with us!" My grandma wasn't amused. lol

They are essentially a real life version of the Beverly Hillbillies: yokels who happened to strike it rich but don't understand normal social expectations. They are most likely too uneducated to understand what the concern is about eating fatty processed food constantly. It also says a lot about how sheltered Jill is, that she thought that making a dish with Velveeta and Campbells soup would be a nice thing to serve to a guest in their home. 
I am from a blue collar Midwest family so when I grew up we certainly ate our share of things like Velveeta and one of my favorite comfort foods growing up was rice with cream of mushroom soup mixed into it, but I know enough to know that it would be considered kind of tacky to serve something like chicken etti to a guest as a "special" meal. 

Or they just don't care. I know plenty of very educated people who eat terribly. Even doctors have pretty high rates of obesity, though significantly lower than the general population.

ha! My own mom thought I looked "slow". lol. She asked her mom, my grandmother, what she thought, and my grandma pulled out a family album and showed her a picture of my mother around the same age when she was a baby. My mother took a look at it and a bunch of other old pictures of her siblings, and exclaimed, "My God! We all look like there's something wrong with us!" My grandma wasn't amused. lol

That is hysterical! Everyone has an awkward phase, most of us it's around 13... for some of you it's like 6 months. :):) 

WOW!  Do you see the snobbery you are displaying?  Be thankful for the family you have to spend the holiday with, it's not about the food it's about the love of the people you are with.  There are a lot of people in this world who would have been thankful for cream of crap because they didn't have anything on their tables or anyone to spend it with.  

Grapefruits, juice, peeled or right out of the skin!!

1212121212122.png

I was so obsessed with grapefruit that I actually asked my midwife if too much grapefruit could be harmful to the baby. She laughed, but seriously for awhile I was eating an insane amount. Couldn't touch one for 2-3 years after baby was born though. She can't eat them but she does love the taste.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I don't think he has Downs, I think he LOOKS like other Downs kids I have known. I know the Duggars would have turned him into another pro-life platform if he did. Just like Josie.

I don't see any of the typical facial features of a child with Down syndrome. (And I'm not completely sure what the point of bringing it up is if you're not actually wondering if he might have it.)

But yeah if he did have DS, he would totally be exploited as a pro-life political prop. The Duggars would be all over that in a heartbeat and it's gross.

I also agree that if he did have issues from oxygen deprivation then they would keep that hushed. Not with so many people questioning Jill's judgement with the birth. Obviously birth complications aren't always avoidable even under the best circumstances. But there is no way the Duggars will admit to even the slightest bit of irresponsibility. God doesn't "lay it on their hearts" to make poor decisions. 

They are essentially a real life version of the Beverly Hillbillies: yokels who happened to strike it rich but don't understand normal social expectations. <snip>

This is a very good point.  Between their ATI sheltering and theit "country" background, the Duggars lack the most rudimentary social sophistication.  It is not a big deal that they like Chickenetti and Tater-tot Casserole. What is striking is that they seem to think that it is extremely clever and original of them (the entire Duggar family) to have "discovered" these somewhat hum-drum and old-fashioned recipes.

Using canned soups for sauces and as the base for dishes was a new and "clever" idea in the 1950's. No doubt Michelle's mother and grandmother thought they were being very clever and modern when they used and passed on this type of recipe. Times have changed, but as part of the ATI/Gotthard-inspired movement backwards to a more patriarchal and fecund America, women like Michelle and her daughters seem culinarily stuck between 1945 and 1960.  

It seems to me that their love of convenience food recipes may be connected to the way they like to learn and repeat canned answers to profound questions of life and faith.  

This is a very good point.  Between their ATI sheltering and theit "country" background, the Duggars lack the most rudimentary social sophistication.  It is not a big deal that they like Chickenetti and Tater-tot Casserole. What is striking is that they seem to think that it is extremely clever and original of them (the entire Duggar family) to have "discovered" these somewhat hum-drum and old-fashioned recipes.

Using canned soups for sauces and as the base for dishes was a new and "clever" idea in the 1950's. No doubt Michelle's mother and grandmother thought they were being very clever and modern when they used and passed on this type of recipe. Times have changed, but as part of the ATI/Gotthard-inspired movement backwards to a more patriarchal and fecund America, women like Michelle and her daughters seem culinarily stuck between 1945 and 1960.  

It seems to me that their love of convenience food recipes may be connected to the way they like to learn and repeat canned answers to profound questions of life and faith.  

Canned soup, canned answers...what's with these people and cans?

Canned soup, canned answers...what's with these people and cans?

Canned answers require little to no thought, just like canned soup. And sometimes they are equally comfortable and convenient, for some people.

I craved Arby's curly fries when pregnant with my second. I've never really liked them before or since. Daughter number 2 LOVES Arby's in general and the curly fries in particular. Go figure!

Or they just don't care. I know plenty of very educated people who eat terribly. Even doctors have pretty high rates of obesity, though significantly lower than the general population.

I had a doctor friend. Both she and her husband were quite overweight. Now people can't always help that and obesity has many reasons so no judgement there. What did surprise me was that they let their toddler basically live on chocolate bars and cookies. She could take them from the cabinet whenever she wanted and was never hungry when it was dinner time (not that those dinners were very healthy either). At 20 months she was already fat. When she was sleepy in the evening, instead of going to bed, she would eat more chocolate to keep going. They were really nice people but it was just shocking to see that. And since she was a doctor, I couldn't comment on low nutrition and all that as she knew that much better than I did. As with the Joshley thing, theoretical knowledge does not always result in corresponding behaviour.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived