IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

I believe her attorneys saw her coming .splcenter.org/hatewatch/2015/09/11/liberty-counsel-has-history-advising-clients-defy-law

And I will always think she is very unwilling to give up a job that pays nearly 2X the household income of her county.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to a game developer, you can now condemn Davis as many times as you want, all from your smartphone. A game called “Condemn Kim†has recently been released and gives you the chance to apply for a marriage license with the bigot clerk and send her to jail.

You Can Now Defeat Kim Davis In This Hilarious ‘Condemn Kim’ Video Game

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/09/22 ... me-images/

I saw Kim Davis on GMA. I just wonder why, if she has so much faith, doesnt she just trust that God will take care of her if she simply resigns? I am a believer but the polar opposite of Kim. She needs to put her money where her mouth is, literally. She's making no sacrifice at all for what she says she believes.

In the meanwhile, in a nearby county, the Baptist county clerk has been quietly issuing licenses to all, saying he doesn't really believe in gay marriage, but God does the judging, not him. He's nice about it too, congratulating a lesbian couple on their 28 year relationship. Well Amen brother!

This woman is really getting on my nerves.

Davis disagrees with a statement by one of the people initially blocked from receiving a marriage license in which the person “finally felt human†after receiving a marriage license.

“I don't think dignity is guaranteed in the Constitution. I think dignity is something that you find within yourself,†Davis said. “I feel really sad that … someone could be so unhappy with themselves as a person that they did not feel dignified as a human being until they got a piece of paper. I mean, there's just so much more to life than that .â€

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-clerk ... d=33939041

Same sex couples simply want the same right as straight couples, to marry the person of their choosing, and to enjoy the legal protections that come with being married. Not allowing same sex couples to marry says that their relationships are not held in the same regard as straight couples, and those of us who believe in equality think that's wrong. Treating people as equals is treating them with dignity.

Also, if same sex marriage is so abhorrent to you, why are you okay with taking their "sinful" money when payday rolls around? :pull-hair: I hope the people of Rowan county decide they are tired of paying you 80K to not do your job, and elect someone who will.

I do believe that Kim thinks if she could just explain herself then the world would come to understand her position. She doesn't see that everything she says is making people more angry bit by bit. :angry-banghead:

I do believe that Kim thinks if she could just explain herself then the world would come to understand her position. She doesn't see that everything she says is making people more angry bit by bit. :angry-banghead:

That's pretty typical of fundinentalist christians. If you would just listen to how great Jesus is you would be just like me.

That's pretty typical of fundinentalist christians. If you would just listen to how great Jesus is you would be just like me.

Fundamentalist Christians sometimes forget that the USA is not a theocracy and they have no right to impose their code of behavior on secular society. They misunderstand what loyalty to God is about. She would help her case by staying quiet from this point forward.

Fundamentalist Christians sometimes forget that the USA is not a theocracy and they have no right to impose their code of behavior on secular society. They misunderstand what loyalty to God is about. She would help her case by staying quiet from this point forward.

I think her attorneys may actually be priming her with things to say (I would, were I they) so she can make their point, and also sound the code among Fundies who agree with her. Every time she's on TV, I suspect the donations to the attorney's NFP see an increase.

I always find it hilarious when the same fundies/Religious Right types who stomp their feet and pout when the government doesn't make laws that conform to their weird interpretation of the Bible are the same people who throw fits about OMG SHARIA LAW if a Muslim so much as breathes near them. Oh, the irony.

I always find it hilarious when the same fundies/Religious Right types who stomp their feet and pout when the government doesn't make laws that conform to their weird interpretation of the Bible are the same people who throw fits about OMG SHARIA LAW if a Muslim so much as breathes near them. Oh, the irony.

On my fakebook, there are a lot of fundie "OMG Sharia Law" and people posting things like "Muslim Man kills wife for getting pregnant" ... and I want to post links to oh, Scott Peterson, that fundie guy who shot his pregnant wife so he could marry his girlfriend, and the stats that most pregnant women who are killed in the USA are killed by their partner. But either facebook is not workable for explaining things OR fundies are incapable of making basic connections, but all it does is frustrate and anger them.

Thus, when they post about ISIS and Boko Haram killing everyone except the young girls, and then raping or selling them, I don't point out that is the Biblical response...

Judges 21:10 So the assembly sent 12,000 of their best warriors to Jabesh-gilead with orders to kill everyone there, including women and children. 11 “This is what you are to do,†they said. “Completely destroy[a] all the males and every woman who is not a virgin.†12 Among the residents of Jabesh-gilead they found 400 young virgins who had never slept with a man, and they brought them to the camp at Shiloh in the land of Canaan.

And the Midians in Numbers 31 15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? 16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord. 17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. 18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Deuteronomy 20:10-14

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion."

Judges 5:30

They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil.

Zechariah 14:1-2

Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city.

Note, pointing out that keeping the virgins seems to be a common thread in Abrahamic Religions gets me nowhere as I have been told more than once that Islam has no relationship or connection to Judaism or Christianity and is in fact satan worship.

I find Boko Haram and ISIS frightening and destabilizing but I also believe fundie Christians, Fundie Jews and Fundie Muslims have more in common with one another than they do with non fundies in each of their religions.

Nearly 20 years ago I said fundamentalism would be what eventually destroyed the world and I still believe that will be the case.

Just spotted on Gawker: Gilbert & Sullivan fans, enjoy! (esp. the discussion section)

gawker.com/kim-davis-i-wont-resign-because-this-attention-is-all-1732784563 :)

Scott Peterson was a fundie?

no, that was a poorly written sentence where I started listing pregnant wife murderers (Scott Peterson and The guy whose name I don't know who was the fundie EMT who mudered his wife, etc, but messed up both the list and the punctuation.

Kim pulled the I have friends who are gay and lesbian but he one gay friend says she is a embarrassment to the town. About time we head from one of the so called friends all these fundies claim to have. She hates so much when people say god does not love her but it is fine to do that to gay people .

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/09/24 ... er-tweets/

Like all right-wing heroes looking to keep cashing in on America’s bigotry, embattled county clerk Kim Davis went on Fox News to plead her case on the one network where people are most likely to share her bigoted views. There’s just one problem with that, though: Even the people at Fox know that Davis is on the wrong side of the law. When Mike Huckabee held a religious liberty hate rally in Davis’s honor as she was being released from her six-day jail stay for contempt of court, Fox host Shepard Smith actually interrupted the live coverage in order to rail against the, quote, “haters,†supporting Davis’s nonsense. And when she went on Fox News to plead her case to Megyn Kelly, she didn’t get the kind of support she thought she would from the conservative network, either.

The best part, though, isn’t the one network where Davis was sure she’d get sympathy calling her on her bullshit. It’s the hilarious twitter treatment she got yet again because of her shameful attempt. Here are just a few oh-so-true gems from that particularly brutal social network.

Kim Davis is no constitutional scholar. What about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness FOR ALL? Just quit already.

Technically, those words are found in the opening statement of the Declaration of Independence - not the US Constitution.

You could argue that the spirit of the opening statement of the Declaration of Independence was carried over into the US Constitution though. Many of the men involved with the drafting, writing, and signing of the Declaration of Independence would have been involved with doing the same for the Constitution as well. And even the men who didn't work on the Declaration would have been likely to agree with them - many of the people who came over to the American colonies did so because of religious persecution back in Europe. I find it unlikely that they would have been supportive of Kim Davis' actions in any way.

And, of course, the Constitution does state:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Part I of Amendement IVX

Source: constitutionus.com/

Additionally, people seem to misunderstand the Bill of Rights and Amendments on a regular basis (big surprise right?) The first Amendment grants people the right to worship whatever religion they choose or not worship at all without fear of Government interference - that doesn't mean a public servant gets to dig their heels in and claim religious persecution for failure to perform job duties they find immoral though. In fact, I would argue that doing so is the exact opposite of what the Founding Fathers - Madison in particular - actually meant when they drafted that Amendment.

By running for and being elected to her position as a Government Official, Kim Davis was (unknowingly) agreeing not to impose her religious beliefs onto others when she acts as a Government representative. When she acts as a private citizen outside work hours she can say and act however she wants - when she is on the clock as a Government official though, she has a Constitutionally appointed responsibility to uphold the First Amendment by not forcing her personal beliefs onto others.

Technically, those words are found in the opening statement of the Declaration of Independence - not the US Constitution.

You could argue that the spirit of the opening statement of the Declaration of Independence was carried over into the US Constitution though. Many of the men involved with the drafting, writing, and signing of the Declaration of Independence would have been involved with doing the same for the Constitution as well. And even the men who didn't work on the Declaration would have been likely to agree with them - many of the people who came over to the American colonies did so because of religious persecution back in Europe. I find it unlikely that they would have been supportive of Kim Davis' actions in any way.

And, of course, the Constitution does state:

Additionally, people seem to misunderstand the Bill of Rights and Amendments on a regular basis (big surprise right?) The first Amendment grants people the right to worship whatever religion they choose or not worship at all without fear of Government interference - that doesn't mean a public servant gets to dig their heels in and claim religious persecution for failure to perform job duties they find immoral though. In fact, I would argue that doing so is the exact opposite of what the Founding Fathers - Madison in particular - actually meant when they drafted that Amendment.

By running for and being elected to her position as a Government Official, Kim Davis was (unknowingly) agreeing not to impose her religious beliefs onto others when she acts as a Government representative. When she acts as a private citizen outside work hours she can say and act however she wants - when she is on the clock as a Government official though, she has a Constitutionally appointed responsibility to uphold the First Amendment by not forcing her personal beliefs onto others.

I meant the two parts of my remark to be taken separately. Kim made reference to the constitution not guaranteeing a right to dignity. Hence my comment regarding the lack of her constitutional scholarliness. The second part of my remark was to demonstrate that Kim apparently doesn't understand the live and let live nature of the very framework of our Government. Should have explained it better.

And I agree entirely with your post.

it is like a match made in heaven just another bigot is a large party of them. she should feel all warm and cozy now.

I am glad for her, because she has found her true spiritual home.

I got to wondering if Kim Davis had used some of her vacation time while she was in jail, resting at home after getting out of jail, and during her appearance at the Value Voters Summit. I did a search trying to find out how much vacation time she receives, and came across this article from earlier this month:

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis can collect a paycheck for the days she sat in jail and the week she's spending at home, resting and reading hundreds of letters from her fans.

Elected officials in Kentucky get paid whether they work or not. The state auditor's office confirmed that officials don't accumulate vacation, sick or comp time.

Rowan County Attorney Cecil Watkins said paid time off is left to the official's discretion and "voters will vote you out if you take too much."

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/3261 ... tablet&c=y

So, if I understand the situation correctly, the only way she can lose her position is if the state legislature steps in next January, or if they decide not to do anything, then it's up to the voters to elect another person to fill her office when her term is up. She could theoretically, decide to stay home and work on building up her next career as Aggrieved Christian Martyr™, while still receiving a paycheck until January of 2019, unless the state legislature steps in?

Kylolo, if you are out there, please tell me where I'm wrong. Thanks!

So, if I understand the situation correctly, the only way she can lose her position is if the state legislature steps in next January, or if they decide not to do anything, then it's up to the voters to elect another person to fill her office when her term is up. She could theoretically, decide to stay home and work on building up her next career as Aggrieved Christian Martyr™, while still receiving a paycheck until January of 2019, unless the state legislature steps in?

Kylolo, if you are out there, please tell me where I'm wrong. Thanks!

You're exactly right on the vacation time issue. You're also right that the legislature could remove her, though there is some question that since her office isn't an executive level (mayor, county judge executive, etc.) that she may not be eligible for impeachment.

The only other way outside of the next election is for the county attorney to charge her with official misconduct. There would be a trial and she could be removed from office based on a guilty verdict. The county attorney cited conflict of interest (true, he does represent her office in litigation) and asked the AG to appoint a special prosecutor. The AG's office said at this time it seems to be under control with the federal court so they are leaving things alone for now. That could change at any time.

Archived