IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

And, frankly, based only on my shallow judgement of Mr. Kim Jones choice of clothing at what he knew was a big day for Kim and would be televised and photographed, I'm not sure he's much of a prize either .... I know that is shallow, but my husband would not wear that outfit to clean up the back yard (that cheap ass hat!?!?! With the cheep green sunscreen in the brim!!!)

mike-huckabee-1024.jpg

Sort of an OshKosh bGosh moment there.... if they could just stay little til their Carter's wear out.

True Story- my dad has that hat. :embarrassed:

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell, one of Missouri's candidates for state Attorney General (Josh Hawley) is saying it's okay for government officials to do things like this. The really confusing parts of the story are that (a) he's an associate professor of law and (b) his largest donation so far is from Peter Thiel, who is openly gay and supports gay-rights causes (and Republicans).

Time to start making my list of who not to vote for in the next election. Oy.

He is currently on un-paid leave as Mizzou must not appear to favor one candidate over another. The media just can't seem to get that fact right.

Her attorneys have been dancing around with the idea that if her name isn't on the license, it isn't valid for weeks, so this is likely part of their fabulous plan..... But we'll see how it plays in court.

I'm sure the Liberty Counsel group want to drag this out as long as possible, more donations, etc.

I'm no expert on Kentucky law, but hasn't she violated state law by altering the marriage licenses?

Marriage license to be uniform and completely filled out. The form of marriage license prescribed in KRS 402.100 shall be uniform throughout this state, and every license blank shall contain the identical words and figures provided in the form prescribed by that section. In issuing the license the clerk shall deliver it in its entirety to the licensee. The clerk shall see to it that every blank space required to be filled by the applicants is so filled before delivering it to the licensee.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/chapter.aspx?id=39205

So she forged legal documents and still thinks she is a holy Christian? News flash girl that is called lieing and that is a sin.

1) I snorted every time that article said 'interfered'. His country bumpkin costume made me mentally add 'with a goat' every time I saw the word.

2) I don't know if scratching her name off the form counts as forgery. Defacing the form or deliberately altering it so it's rendered invalid and she's managed to inconvenience and harass umteen hundreds of gay and lesbian couples is her more likely goal.

I would recommend that all of the people who have gotten married with one of the altered licenses see a lawyer ASAP. If the marriage licenses are declared invalid, then those couples have none of the legal protections that come with being married.

Edited to add:

Sources are saying that Kim Davis, the Rowan County clerk who made headlines for refusing same-sex couples marriage licenses, has signed a seven figure book deal with Forever Faith publishing and her memoir I’m a Survivor will be released just in time for Christmas. It’s being reported that up to a dozen publishing houses were involved in a bidding war for Kim’s debut memoir and that she had turned down even bigger money deals to sign with a Christian based publisher.

http://usatoday.com.co/kim-davis-signs- ... christmas/

:roll:

I think usa.today.com.co is a fake news website.

They also posted that FBI confiscated Trump's hair because of suspicions that it's the mane of Cecil the Lion

usatoday.com.co/trumps-hair-seized-by-fbi-thought-to-be-mane-of-cecil-the-lion/

I think usa.today.com.co is a fake news website.

They also posted that FBI confiscated Trump's hair because of suspicions that it's the mane of Cecil the Lion

usatoday.com.co/trumps-hair-seized-by-fbi-thought-to-be-mane-of-cecil-the-lion/

You are correct. I didn't notice the .co part of the url. :embarrassed:

A letter to the editor in today's paper gave these hypothetical examples of public duty vs personal belief.

1. A male Muslim is a lifeguard. He may be given accommodation to pray, but cannot refuse to watch over women in non-modest swimsuits.

2. A Hindu works in an office issuing building permits. His First Amendment rights respect the Hindu taboo against harming cows, but he cannot refuse to issue a permit permit for a steakhouse.

3. Suppose a Quaker, elected to a county clerk position, can't be drafted into the Army and sent to combat, because the First Amendment protects conscientious objectors. Can this person refuse to provide a marriage license to a Marine? Of course not.

The writer notes that First Amendment rights protect an unlimited sphere of private belief, but require tolerance from officials when holding an office in government.

Today is the day that the lawyer for each deputy clerk files a two-week report. As noted up-thread, Brian Mason's lawyer submitted his report on Friday due to issues related to the forms revised by Kim Davis. The lawyer noted

'Those changes were made in some attempt to circumvent the court's orders and may have raised to the level of interference against the court's orders...Mr. Mason's concern is he does not want to be the party that is issuing invalid marriage licenses and he is trying to follow the court's mandate as well as his superior ordering him to issue only these changed forms."

The changes Davis made include deleting her name, all mention of Rowan County, and references to deputy clerks. Only Mason's name is on the form, not his title, with a place for him to initial rather than to use his signature.

Kim is got her first one-on-one on Good Morning America. She says she will never quit her job. She's crying because people are saying mean things about her beliefs. She refuses to have her name on a marriage license. It will be interesting to see if she goes back to jail. I have a feeling that this will not turn out well for Kim Davis -- possibly more time in the gray bar hotel and ultimately loss of her job down the line.

:popcorn2:

Meanwhile, Brian Mason is the unsung hero in all this. He's issuing licenses to all comers with courtesy, grace and sincere good will, and not seeking any special attention. People are sending him letters and flowers and created a facebook page for him.

Isn't it sad that we all know Kim Davis' name, but Brian Mason is an unsung hero for doing his job despite a superior trying to subvert the law at every turn. If she doesn't like the law - resign her position, so she does not have to implement it. But that would mean losing an $80,000 a year income. This speaks to me of money speaking louder than faith.

Brian Mason is the one who should be lionized on the talk shows. Ignore the greedy faux christian.

Isn't it sad that we all know Kim Davis' name, but Brian Mason is an unsung hero for doing his job despite a superior trying to subvert the law at every turn. If she doesn't like the law - resign her position, so she does not have to implement it. But that would mean losing an $80,000 a year income. This speaks to me of money speaking louder than faith.

Brian Mason is the one who should be lionized on the talk shows. Ignore the greedy faux christian.

He has no desire to be in the public eye. He has said no to interviews.

Brian would be very smart to run for Kim's seat in the next election (if she doesn't get kicked out by the legislature first).

He has no desire to be in the public eye. He has said no to interviews.

I don't blame him the public is fickle! Especially on a national stage.

If he does run for the seat (as I suggested above) he will be in the public eye for the election and on election nights doing results but most clerks do not make the news outside of election time.

A letter to the editor in today's paper gave these hypothetical examples of public duty vs personal belief.

1. A male Muslim is a lifeguard. He may be given accommodation to pray, but cannot refuse to watch over women in non-modest swimsuits.

2. A Hindu works in an office issuing building permits. His First Amendment rights respect the Hindu taboo against harming cows, but he cannot refuse to issue a permit permit for a steakhouse.

3. Suppose a Quaker, elected to a county clerk position, can't be drafted into the Army and sent to combat, because the First Amendment protects conscientious objectors. Can this person refuse to provide a marriage license to a Marine? Of course not.

The writer notes that First Amendment rights protect an unlimited sphere of private belief, but require tolerance from officials when holding an office in government.

Today is the day that the lawyer for each deputy clerk files a two-week report. As noted up-thread, Brian Mason's lawyer submitted his report on Friday due to issues related to the forms revised by Kim Davis. The lawyer noted

Kim is got her first one-on-one on Good Morning America. She says she will never quit her job. She's crying because people are saying mean things about her beliefs. She refuses to have her name on a marriage license. It will be interesting to see if she goes back to jail. I have a feeling that this will not turn out well for Kim Davis -- possibly more time in the gray bar hotel and ultimately loss of her job down the line.

:popcorn2:

Meanwhile, Brian Mason is the unsung hero in all this. He's issuing licenses to all comers with courtesy, grace and sincere good will, and not seeking any special attention. People are sending him letters and flowers and created a facebook page for him.

I just don't get why she won't quit her job. If I were a far more observant Jew than I am, and my job duties suddenly required me to handle pork products or work on Fridays with no possibility of switching shifts or working overtime on another day in the week to accommodate the Sabbath, I'd find another damn job. And if I were a very observant Jew who happened to be the head of, say, the USDA, I would either suck it up when it came to dealing with pig farming or find another line of work if it bothered me so much. I really don't understand why she seems to enjoy inconveniencing a multitude of people, from the people whom she refuses to serve to all the lawyers and judges and clerks who have to work long hours either telling her over and over to quit acting like a stubborn, homophobic five-year-old or convincing judges that it's totally OK for her to act like a stubborn, homophobic five-year-old. Pack it in, Kim.

I just don't get why she won't quit her job.

Because there are precious few jobs in Rowan County, KY that pay $80K/year plus benefits, for someone without an advanced (MD, JD, DDS) degree?

I can understand why Brian is not giving interviews- the Kim Davis supporters would pick apart everything his says and make him out to be a hireling of Satan. The best thing he can do for himself and the people of Rowan County is to keep doing his job. I hope the county finds a way to boot Kim and he can run for her spot.

Also, I hope Kim got some sort of advance on that book deal because I have a feeling that soon she will be without a job and her flock will lost interest long before anything goes to print.

I have not been on this site because I went through a time of "I can't even with fundies" :angry-banghead: . I have heard a lot about her but why does she not quit her job? I mean if a job conflicts with your religious beliefs would it not be more honorable to say forget the financial compensation because God will provide and eschew media attention because personal faith is more important? Instead why do you keep a job that you will not perform and be a giant attention whore.

Just spotted this on Huffington Post:

huffingtonpost.com/entry/kim-davis-erotic-fiction_56003d44e4b08820d9197b0f

Wonder how long it's going to take her lawyers to threaten a lawsuit. :)

Just spotted this on Huffington Post:

huffingtonpost.com/entry/kim-davis-erotic-fiction_56003d44e4b08820d9197b0f

Wonder how long it's going to take her lawyers to threaten a lawsuit. :)

I was debating on posting that but just could not bring myself too.

Please,please ,please can some publisher distribute this? Just the description cracked me up - and the thought of her reading it :o :pink-shock:

(me - :cracking-up: )

Kim Davis is a woman in a serious bind created by her beliefs, her pastor (and likely elders of her church) and her lawyers, all obsessed by the wickedness of homosexuality, i.e., the horrid wickedness of those who are attracted to people with the same plumbing.

They don't seem to have the same single minded obsession with caring for widows, orphans, single women, children, the elderly, the vulnerable, the poor and those who are otherwise the least among us, and let us not forget the meek.....the people that Jesus was very, very specific about.

I took a few minutes to read about the "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" part of the gospel by consulting well respected Biblical scholars WIkipedia.It would seem that this would apply to her situation.

According to a Fox news legal expert, this marriage license issue is not a hill to die on. In reality, it isn't so much a hill as a pimple on the a** of right-wing evangelical outrage.

Archived