IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

The BLM and sheriffs in San Juan County (southeastern Utah) allowed themselves to be intimidated by the same types last year.

Link not broken because Denver news:

denverpost.com/news/ci_25737308/atv-riders-rally-against-blm-restrictions-near-prehistoric

Here's hoping common sense will prevail and someone (like her lawyers) will tell Kim Davis to tell the oath creepers "thanks, but no thanks." Having armed idiots show up, threatening to kill people, telegraphs "lunatic fringe" to most people watching on TV and also dilutes the message. Should an oath keeper aim a gun at or actually shoot a federal marshal, he should just plan his own funeral right now. In addition, the local county, and especially LEO, might not appreciate heavily armed "outsiders" coming on to their turf.

In addition, it just chafes my chaps that people are still whining about religious accommodation for Kim Davis. She has it already. Deputy clerks are issuing marriage licenses without her name on it. Even her son does not have to do it. There are (I think) an additional four or five deputy clerks. She is losing support on the Right. Even a Fox news panel of legal experts say she has no legal ground to stand on, she should just stop already, and they didn't express that sentiment in a particularly nice way.

The main great thing to come out of this is Huckabee elbowing (figuratively) Cruz out of the money shot with Kim getting out of jail. It still makes me chuckle.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I read that the "Oathkeepers" are going to stand down because Kim Davis, through her attorney, has declined their assistance. It is on the Oathkeepers website so, perhaps, it is true. They still could make an appearance since I truly believe they want a confrontation with the Feds. We will have to wait and see what happens Monday. The saga continues.

On a side note, in the world of paranoia where the Oathkeepers have taken up permanent residence, it was announced last week the the Marines at 29 Palms, CA, (I live in the Coachella Valley, which is not that far from 29 Palms) are involved in an urban warfare scenario. To the best of my knowledge, and I follow the media closely, nobody is up in arms about a take-over by the Federal government. Same thing happens in Texas (Jade Helm) and even the governor of Texas expresses concern about a take-over. This group paranoia going on these days is dangerous. How did we end up with so many people readily accepting craziness?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... nstitution

Now, in North Carolina, Alabama and other states, officiants have opted out of marrying both gay and straight couples to express moral opposition to the court’s decision.

But some legal experts believe government officials can’t stop all marriage to avoid wedding same-sex couples without running afoul of the constitution.

“It gives a special privilege to those that hold certain religious beliefs which crosses the line into making someone’s personal religious belief part of the state’s public policy,†said Columbia Law School law professor Katherine Franke about such religious objection laws.

The circus continues in Rowan county:

Kim Davis -- the Kentucky clerk who stopped issuing all marriage licenses after the Supreme Court gay marriage ruling -- is taking another stab at stopping same-sex marriages in her county.

Her lawyers filed a petition Friday with the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals asking the court to halt an order by a district judge requiring that marriage licenses be issued to all couples seeking them, Buzzfeed reported

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... nded-order

So how many heterosexual couples in Rowan county have now lost their purity and live in sin because they couldn't get a marriage licence?

This seems like a backward and counterproductive way of promoting straight people getting married: telling them you can't because those gays are marrying too.

I can only imagine how many hetero couples who are planning weddings are going to find they can't get a license in time. Quite the unexpected monkey wrench in the works.

It's funny. I'm kind of hoping that all of this leads to what I've been saying all along. The government has no business in marriage. It is, usually, a religious thing, and therefore really none of their business. Considering the government only got involved in the first place to prevent interracial marriage, maybe it's time to get out of it. It's not about giving bigots their way, it's about reiterating the separation of church and state. Just a thought.

While I agree in theory the government should get out of marriage, it would be nigh upon impossible now. Far too many government benefits are given to married couples, hence the fight for marriage equality in the first place. Hundreds of laws would have to be changed before that's feasible. Also, how would non-religious folks get married (and plenty do, obviously) if they had to rely on religious institutions?

And while I realize our government got into marriage for distasteful reasons, I don't believe the same is true for every government in the world.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? :lol: I honestly don't know. I'm sure some enterprising soul would figure it out. You're right, of course. The government has gotten itself all twisted and tangled into marriage, and they probably couldn't get out if they tried. It's just part of my utopian vision of a government that does it's job without being a "helicopter mom" to everyone. It may not be a practical vision, but a girl can dream.

Given how there have been relatively few instances of outright disobidience of the SCOTUS decision, I wonder if a lot of conservatives are living vicariously through Kim Davis. They cheer her on so much because they'd never do anything like that themselves.

Well, we're back to the circus again. Think this columnist put it best:

azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/ejmontini/2015/09/14/montini-kim-davis-chooses-fame-same-sex-marriage/72250766/

:roll:

I love in her speech how she battled following her faith or the law. but Sorry she chose to stay in and to resign tell the truth you horrible christian You chose to persecute others in the name of your faith.

At this point the government needs to stay in the marriage business because they need to be involved in the divorce business. You might think that we could leave each couple to draw up their own contract and make sure the assets are divided equitably, but it gets extremely complicated especially when you factor in children, pensions, and real estate. Unfortunately most people who get divorced need to be angry with each other before going through with the separation and angry people don't always think straight.

I think that Kim Davis really needs to quit her job but a) she is enjoying her celebrity status and b0 she is enjoying the $80,000 income. So the question is really how does the county get rid of her. They need to start the recall process right now and they need to add in some bit of language to the job description so that the next person being sworn into the job automatically loses the job if s/he fails to adhere to the law.

She's suing Governor Beshear:

A lawyer for Kentucky clerk Kim Davis on Monday said that her legal team will file a new lawsuit against Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear (D), accusing him of failing to provide an accommodation for Davis.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... ve-beshear

The Family Research Council is giving her an award:

As many predicted, Kim Davis is cashing in on her new role as a right-wing celebrity. The Family Research Council announced today that Davis will receive its “Cost of Discipleship Award†at the upcoming Values Voter Summit.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/r ... al-tyranny

She's suing Governor Beshear:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... ve-beshear

The Family Research Council is giving her an award:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/r ... al-tyranny

she just won't stop. man an award from them is like cat poo on your carpet. so not following what you swore to do ( I bet on a bible no less ) is worth an award? amazing.

In the midst of the Kim Davis idiocy, I'd like to give a huge shout out the the County Clerk's office in Travis County, Texas, just voted

Best Public Servants Who Made Sure Love Won: Dana DeBeauvoir and the Travis County Clerks

When the SCOTUS decision on same-sex marriage came down on Friday, June 26, euphoric couples with stars and tears in their eyes were eager to exercise their new legal right and tie the knot. But love couldn't win without the Herculean efforts of the Travis County clerks who participated in the jubilation by extending hours to accommodate the 300-plus couples who swarmed the clerks' office that day. Dana DeBeauvoir extended the 5pm closing time and promised that people in line by 6:30pm would have their official paperwork completed, which meant many a clerk didn't clock out until well after 10pm. The office served citizens during the Fourth of July weekend as well, thereby ensuring that love and freedom indeed won in Travis County.

So Kim, when you're in jail again or voted out of office, just remember what you life would have been like if you'd let love win.

And it gets better. Not only is she committing adultery with her 4th husband, because " wasbands" 1, 2, and 3 are still living, but she gave birth to twins 5 months after divorcing her first husband. The biological father of those children was husband number 3, but husband number 2 adopted them.

Ordinarily I don't approve of slut-shaming but I might be persuaded to make an exception for her.

I have a feeling she's holding out for the big bucks that a gofundme campaign will net her. Give it up, Kim. You have had your 15 minutes of fame.

Not to make this all about me (but to make this all about me), this totally astounds me. Seriously, she has gotten 4 men to marry her. I may not be the most attractive person on the planet, but even as down-on-myself as I am, I know I am not a dog. Why can't I even get asked out on a date?

centerhttp://oi62.tinypic.com/10qape8.jpg

Not to make this all about me (but to make this all about me), this totally astounds me. Seriously, she has gotten 4 men to marry her. I may not be the most attractive person on the planet, but even as down-on-myself as I am, I know I am not a dog. Why can't I even get asked out on a date?

centerhttp://oi62.tinypic.com/10qape8.jpg

Instead of "let that sink in," that picture needs to come with the caveat "...because you have standards."

And didn't she cheat on #1 with #3?

So, let me see if I've got this right....

She was married to #1. Got knocked up with #3's baby while married to #1. Got divorce #1. Married #2 while she was knocked up with #3's baby. Divorced #2. Married #3. Divorced #3. Married #2 again.

Did I miss anything?

So, let me see if I've got this right....

She was married to #1. Got knocked up with #3's baby while married to #1. Got divorce #1. Married #2 while she was knocked up with #3's baby. Divorced #2. Married #3. Divorced #3. Married #2 again.

Did I miss anything?

it sounds like a soap opera. how the court clerk world turns. TLC is sniffing around for sure.

Instead of "let that sink in," that picture needs to come with the caveat "...because you have standards."

I was thinking the same thing.. Isn't Honey Boo Boo's mom dating a child molester who molested one of her own daughter a few years ago? (Wasn't that why the show was canned?) No standards allow all kinds of dating options.

And, frankly, based only on my shallow judgement of Mr. Kim Jones choice of clothing at what he knew was a big day for Kim and would be televised and photographed, I'm not sure he's much of a prize either .... I know that is shallow, but my husband would not wear that outfit to clean up the back yard (that cheap ass hat!?!?! With the cheep green sunscreen in the brim!!!)

mike-huckabee-1024.jpg

Sort of an OshKosh bGosh moment there.... if they could just stay little til their Carter's wear out.

Archived