IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't surprise me if some right-wing politician found a way to sneak her into the same room as the Pope with about 5 million other people, the Pope shook her hand in passing without even knowing who she was, and now they're spinning it as, "The pope asked to meet with me and hugged me and gave me rosaries and told me to stay strong!"

Turns out her parents are Catholic, so I'm guessing she was raised Catholic. She says she spoke directly with the Pope, who told her to stay strong and gave her a rosary.

Yeah, she would be a Huckabee leg humper. Likely that all the gay couples who wanted to get married have already come in to request licenses, so business has slowed.

It wouldn't surprise me if some right-wing politician found a way to sneak her into the same room as the Pope with about 5 million other people, the Pope shook her hand in passing without even knowing who she was, and now they're spinning it as, "The pope asked to meet with me and hugged me and gave me rosaries and told me to stay strong!"

Turns out her parents are Catholic, so I'm guessing she was raised Catholic. She says she spoke directly with the Pope, who told her to stay strong and gave her a rosary.

Yeah, she would be a Huckabee leg humper. Likely that all the gay couples who wanted to get married have already come in to request licenses, so business has slowed.

I can see that she was in a room of hundreds not a private papal audience. My guess it was like the papal audiences at the Vatican - everyone comes and you get to see the Pope, some are lucky enough to shake his hand, etc. My guess is roseries were given out freely during the Pope's visit and the words "stay strong" seems like something generic to say to most people because no matter how good your life is going at that moment there is at least one thing that is pulling you down and you need encouragement to "stay strong."

I really, really, hope the attorney is embellishing the story.

To call the Vatican’s statement “terse†is a gross understatement. They got played and they’re pissed.

"I cannot not deny the meeting took place but I have no comments to add," Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said in Italian Wednesday.

npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/30/444671535/kim-davis-and-pope-francis-reportedly-had-a-private-meeting-in-dc

To call the Vatican’s statement “terse†is a gross understatement. They got played and they’re pissed.

npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/30/444671535/kim-davis-and-pope-francis-reportedly-had-a-private-meeting-in-dc

agreed

"On his flight back to Rome, the pope was asked during a press conference if he would support government officials who say they cannot in good conscience discharge their duties — for example, issuing same sex marriage licenses.

"Without referring to Kim Davis, the pope said conscientious objection is a right that is part of every human right."

It's interesting what the Pope didn't say on the plane. He didn't say she should remain in her job nor did he say she would not go without punishment for being a conscientious objector. He just said all humans have the right to have conscientious objections.

I loved the line that the Pope met Mark Wahlberg, but that didn't mean that he liked the movie "Ted". I now mentally see Kim Davis as Ted in a frumper.... :shifty-kitty:

America, the Jesuit magazine, has attempted to unravel the Pope meeting story. Seems it was likely a reception with several others and some random official arranged for her to be there.

Link: http://papalvisit.americamedia.org/2015 ... p-in-mind/

Remember, the present Pope is a Jesuit, so this should have credibility. Inside knowledge.

...and that is how the Pope learned about attention whores.

Bish was all over Good Morning America talking about how she and the Pope are besties now. :roll:

The Holy Father needs to fire the person in charge of screening meet & greets.

And if Kim Davis is reading she might want to keep in mind that I've been in the same arena with Alex Van Halen, but I doubt it meant as much to him as it did to me.

And if Kim Davis is reading she might want to keep in mind that I've been in the same arena with Alex Van Halen, but I doubt it meant as much to him as it did to me.

I'm thinking it was a meet and greet and that was why it took the Vatican some time today to confirm it. They didn't invite her and had to track down the lists to see if she was there.

I've waited on Derek Jeter - him and some news reporter. My version - he smells yummy, he really is really good looking up close- I mean really good looking and he was nice and courtesy. His version (I'm guessing at his thoughts)- he got the right food and the server didn't fawn over him like a school girl or a bat shit crazy fan. (He is only a year older than I am but after seeing who he has dated- I know he didn't notice me. I'm an average looking woman.)

I'm with you HerNameIsBuffy- I bet me serving food to Derek on a busy lunch hour was not nearly the highlight of his day as it was mine (and this all happened about 20 years ago).

Why does a Pentecostal protestant from KY care about meeting the Pope? And why is it newsworthy? I'm sure the Pope shook thousands of hand in the past few days, and given the vague generality of the official response, her is probably not all that concerned with whether said Pentecostal protestant has her name on her county's marriage licenses. This is stupid.

In the UK, posts such as Kim's are not elected, but rather minor local government civil service jobs. So, in the UK,the answer is very easy - we sack her for refusing to conform to her job description.

I truly do not understand why she can not be at least suspended without pay from her job, when she refuses to fulfill SCOTUS mandated duties. That she can refuse to do her job within the confines of the law of the United States, and continue to receive a salary is just wrong! Especially since I am now reading that her salary is very much at the high end for salaries in her state....Can I be a dogcatcher and then refuse to accept euthanasia, even if that were a condition of my job? When we take a job, appointed or elected, we must accept the duties of that job - or resign. As dogcatcher, if my strays were to be euthanised, I'd resign....so, Mrs Registrar, County Clerk, or whatever, how do you justify taking money from your neighbours who pay your salary, and refusing to fulfil your role?

(And by the way some of those neighbours who pay those wages are(horror)gay. Would you wish that their contributions to your salary be withheld, as you refuse them services?)

One article said the pope blessed rosaries for her parents who are devout Catholics. Presumably she was raised RC?

Popes routinely bless items like rosaries for crowds of people. It isn't really that significant. I have a rosary that was blessed by Benedict XVI--a friend was in Rome and was able to attend a general audience. She bought a bag full of rosaries to gift to friends and families. At the end of the audience, the pope routinely blesses any items that the people hold up to be blessed, so she held up her bag full of rosaries.

I would guess that the guests at this event were given mementoes then the pope blessed them all at once at the end.

I haven't finished reading the whole thread, but I just wanted to make a few comments...can't stay quiet on this. First, as a Catholic, when I heard the pope possibly met with her I groaned. This woman is giving Christianity a bad name. People tend to paint a whole group with the same brush--very embarrassing. While I like Pope Francis, he should have stayed out of this.

That said, I will confess that I'm not crazy about Gay marriage---but I also figure it's not my place to judge. I have friends that are gay and are married, and they are wonderful people. It's none of my business--To each his own. I do believe that Davis needs to resign. Regardless of my feelings on the matter, SCOTUS has said yes, it's legal, so shut up and do your job or leave. :doh:

Hope this made sense. She really really gives conservatives a bad name. Makes me mad. Actually, ALL fundies give us a bad name. :angry-banghead:

I haven't finished reading the whole thread, but I just wanted to make a few comments...can't stay quiet on this. First, as a Catholic, when I heard the pope possibly met with her I groaned. This woman is giving Christianity a bad name. People tend to paint a whole group with the same brush--very embarrassing. While I like Pope Francis, he should have stayed out of this.

That said, I will confess that I'm not crazy about Gay marriage---but I also figure it's not my place to judge. I have friends that are gay and are married, and they are wonderful people. It's none of my business--To each his own. I do believe that Davis needs to resign. Regardless of my feelings on the matter, SCOTUS has said yes, it's legal, so shut up and do your job or leave. :doh:

Hope this made sense. She really really gives conservatives a bad name. Makes me mad. Actually, ALL fundies give us a bad name. :angry-banghead:

I find this type of position to be reasonable. You don't have to fully understand - but you do need to show a basic level of respect for other human beings. Thank you for keeping an open-mind and for being a good model of what Christianity should be (you know, the whole loving other people thing.)

It is times like this that make me incredibly grateful that I spiritually left that faith when I was 13. To say I am disgusted that this meeting took place - all while Francis was speaking about loving your fellow humans and not pushing the anti-marriage equality stuff much more - is an absolute understatement. Francis appears to be a far better politician than anyone expected; I'm assuming his gift for public relations is why he was elected in the first place.

I want nothing more to do with this Church - this is just one insult too many to people I know and love. Anyone know how I can formally have my name removed from Church records?

Velocirapture - If she was part of a general audience, as I suspect, then I very much doubt that either Pope Francis or his advisers had a clue who she was, or if they did, that she was there - after all, she thinks the Pope is the Antichrist; why would he want to meet her? Congrats to whoever is orchestrating her PR, though - this was a home run!

I ask myself once again why is she not in Jail. She is not doing her job and refuses to follow court orders. I hope she is impeached when state officials are in season again.

I ask myself once again why is she not in Jail. She is not doing her job and refuses to follow court orders. I hope she is impeached when state officials are in season again.

Doesn't "in season" mean ready to mate? :lol:

Archived