IGNORED

AMY DUGGAR ENGAGED - scratch that - MARRIED

RabbitKM

Amy says she has Cherokee heritage on her dad's side. Can the genealogists of Free Jinger verify this? A card carrying Cherokee called her out and all hell broke loose in her IG comments. :lol:

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can have Cherokee/Native American Heritage technically without being eligible for tribal membership. Is that what the IG drama was about?

Ugh. I'm sorry, but people claiming they have Cherokee (or other Native American) heritage is one of my major pet peeves. Actually, it's just the people who refuse to accept that it was, after all, just a family legend when faced with actual (often DNA) evidence to the contrary. It's like these white people feel entitled to Native American DNA, and God help you if you call them out. "Dad said Great-Grandma Lucy was FULL BLOODED CHEROKEE, DAMMIT, DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME OTHERWISE. The fact that I took this DNA test and it shows 0% Native American means nothing! Clearly this 2% Finnish DNA I'm showing is actually 25% Native. I feel such a strong spiritual connect to my fake Native ancestors, ya'll."

Sorry, just ranting. For all I know, Amy is right.

Ugh. I'm sorry, but people claiming they have Cherokee (or other Native American) heritage is one of my major pet peeves. Actually, it's just the people who refuse to accept that it was, after all, just a family legend when faced with actual (often DNA) evidence to the contrary. It's like these white people feel entitled to Native American DNA, and God help you if you call them out. "Dad said Great-Grandma Lucy was FULL BLOODED CHEROKEE, DAMMIT, DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME OTHERWISE. The fact that I took this DNA test and it shows 0% Native American means nothing! Clearly this 2% Finnish DNA I'm showing is actually 25% Native. I feel such a strong spiritual connect to my fake Native ancestors, ya'll."

I mean, yeah, this is what I assume is happening. A member of the cherokee nation asked her if she has papers and leghumpers are saying they have Indian in them, too, because of x family anecdote. Come on, people. I just think it's awful how ignorant people are and that they don't even have enough sense to sit down and shut up when they're caught being ignorant. Deanna replied that Terry is Cherokee and that Amy loves it. I'm off to research Terry's family tree now. #teamrcmaganja

nszIYmsl.png

Don't apologize. White people claiming some apocryphal Native American heritage so they can seem more exotic drives me nuts.

ETA: Also, do you guys notice that certain tribes are the "cool tribes" that people want to be a part of? Like Cherokee, Navajo, or Apache. These people never claim Shoshone or Hopi.)

I mean, yeah, this is what I assume is happening. A member of the cherokee nation asked her if she has papers and leghumpers are saying they have Indian in them, too, because of x family anecdote. Come on, people. I just think it's awful how ignorant people are and that they don't even have enough sense to sit down and shut up when they're caught being ignorant. Deanna replied that Terry is Cherokee and that Amy loves it. I'm off to research Terry's family tree now. #teamrcmaganja

nszIYmsl.png

Guys, bookwormbeauty97 knows what she's talking about. She has a little bit of Cherokee PULSING THROUGH HER VAIN'S!

The thing is, these people claiming they're 'part Native' generally have no desire whatsoever to actually learn about real Native American culture, traditions, lifestyles, or the issues they're facing in modern America. They want all the romance of being 'Native' and none of the reality. Europeans decimated Native American populations, cultures, belief systems and languages, and now their descendants have decided that it's cool to be Native. It's like the final 'fuck you', the ultimate in cultural appropriation.

What is Amy even trying to say in that photo? That she and her dad 'look Cherokee''? Um... I won't say anything else at this point, because hey, maybe they're telling the truth. Maybe he's actually Cherokee and she's being ironic because he looks so white.

What is Amy even trying to say in that photo? That she and her dad 'look Cherokee''? Um... I won't say anything else at this point, because hey, maybe they're telling the truth. Maybe he's actually Cherokee and she's being ironic because he looks so white.

Yes, maybe that is it. She knows that he looks not Cherokee at all, and it's a joke subverting racism because he really is. A nuanced, culturally aware joke on a new level of Amy.

Not a leg humper by any means but I am a genealogist...it is definitely possible to have Native American blood, and a fair amount at that, and be totally ineligible for tribal membership. To that end, I'd say it's fair to claim Cherokee heritage or ancestors and NOT be able to claim to be Cherokee.

Of course, there are people who claim it with nothing to back it up, wither genealogy - wise or genetics-wise, and many people who do claim it are only interested as one poster said, in the romanticism of it, not the realities.

I'm not really sure what the difficulty here is. There are plenty of people who do have Native American blood who can prove it, and who are not card-carrying members of the tribes they are descended from. Mr. R and M has a cousin who has done extensive genealogical research on his side of the family, and has since discovered that they possess Cherokee blood. The only time he has ever made mention of it is when Boy R and M asked questions about his heritage. Mr. R and M has never once used that fact to browbeat anyone else or misappropriate the culture or customs of the tribe.

I really don't know if Amy actually is part Cherokee or not, but I also don't believe it follows that she is making the statement as a way to garner attention or be disrespectful to the nation itself. I think it's attributing malice where there isn't necessarily any. She may simply be parroting something she's heard all her life, or she may have genealogical proof to that effect.

If Amy shares any of the dangerous beliefs of her aunt, uncle, and cousins, than those are better reasons for speculative snark.

I will add that generally speaking, I don't think it is appropriate to falsely claim a tribe, ethnicity or nationality simply in the interest of believing it is "cool."

I'm not really sure what the difficulty here is. There are plenty of people who do have Native American blood who can prove it, and who are not card-carrying members of the tribes they are descended from. Mr. R and M has a cousin who has done extensive genealogical research on his side of the family, and has since discovered that they possess Cherokee blood. The only time he has ever made mention of it is when Boy R and M asked questions about his heritage. Mr. R and M has never once used that fact to browbeat anyone else or misappropriate the culture or customs of the tribe.

I really don't know if Amy actually is part Cherokee or not, but I also don't believe it follows that she is making the statement as a way to garner attention or be disrespectful to the nation itself. I think it's attributing malice where there isn't necessarily any. She may simply be parroting something she's heard all her life, or she may have genealogical proof to that effect.

If Amy shares any of the dangerous beliefs of her aunt, uncle, and cousins, than those are better reasons for speculative snark.

I will add that generally speaking, I don't think it is appropriate to falsely claim a tribe, ethnicity or nationality simply in the interest of believing it is "cool."

But that's why she does anything...

She wants the attention for herself, sure, I just don't think she's out to get anyone here.

Why is she suddenly spouting this off? I don't have the link nor follow her but what was the photo involved with this comment? I swear she's beyond desperate for attention.

And really... if she is and can prove it - who cares? No offense to those who are Native American, but I don't see any relevance to anything.

I can't wait for this wedding. Sooner the wedding the sooner the divorce the sooner the duggar tell all trashtastic authored by kingdillpickle.

Even if its just to Radar online.

Why is she suddenly spouting this off? I don't have the link nor follow her but what was the photo involved with this comment? I swear she's beyond desperate for attention.

And really... if she is and can prove it - who cares? No offense to those who are Native American, but I don't see any relevance to anything.

Sorry, I keep meaning to include the post and then forgetting. I agree it's not a big deal if she is and can prove it, but a lot of hipster gals and other types seem to like claiming native american heritage because it's cool. I sure would like to get into Terry's family tree.

https://instagram.com/p/5538pgNkDT/?taken-by=amyduggar

Sorry, I keep meaning to include the post and then forgetting. I agree it's not a big deal if she is and can prove it, but a lot of hipster gals and other types seem to like claiming native american heritage because it's cool. I sure would like to get into Terry's family tree.

https://instagram.com/p/5538pgNkDT/?taken-by=amyduggar

Thanks! so is she implying that her dad looks like an "Indian"?

I think it's a non sequitur. Just a random stupid cute post.

Thats what I was thinking too when I was looking. He doesn't really, so makes me think she just wants to try to be more exotic. I mean at least kinda back up what you're trying to brag about....

The thing is, these people claiming they're 'part Native' generally have no desire whatsoever to actually learn about real Native American culture, traditions, lifestyles, or the issues they're facing in modern America. They want all the romance of being 'Native' and none of the reality. Europeans decimated Native American populations, cultures, belief systems and languages, and now their descendants have decided that it's cool to be Native. It's like the final 'fuck you', the ultimate in cultural appropriation.

Eh, it's possible to have a fair amount of Native American ancestry and not "look" Native American. My cousin's biological father was fully Native American, and you would not think looking at my cousin that he's Native American - he looks like a typical white guy. Heck, when we've told other people we're cousins, they tell us we look alike, even though we are not biologically related and I have no Native American ancestry whatsoever.

I agree with your point in the above paragraph, but looking and being aren't the same.

Eh, it's possible to have a fair amount of Native American ancestry and not "look" Native American. My cousin's biological father was fully Native American, and you would not think looking at my cousin that he's Native American - he looks like a typical white guy. Heck, when we've told other people we're cousins, they tell us we look alike, even though we are not biologically related and I have no Native American ancestry whatsoever.

I agree with your point in the above paragraph, but looking and being aren't the same.

Most definitely, which is why I said I wasn't going to go there, because it's possible she's telling the truth. I actually wasn't being sarcastic. Statistically it's more likely that she's got a family 'Indian Princess' legend, but it's completely possible that her dad is part Cherokee, whatever he looks like.

Sigh. Of course Amy's descended from a "Cherokee Princess." And I'd bet she'd wear a Western Plains headdress and say "how" to the camera without blinking an eye, too.

And even though she lives less than a hundred miles from Tahlequah, the capitol of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, she's probably never bothered to visit any museum, historic site, or cultural event there.

Still disappointed that Amy hasn't produced a truly snark-worthy wedding registry yet.

Here is what I found relating to gaining citizenship in the Cherokee Nation:

"Today the Cherokee Nations is more than 315,000 citizens strong, young and old. To be eligible for Cherokee Nation citizenship, individuals must provide documents connecting them to an enrolled direct ancestor who is listed on the Dawes Roll with a blood degree. CDIB/Tribal Citizenship is traced through natural parents. In cases of adoption, CDIB/Citizenship must be proven through a biological parent to an ancestor registered on the Dawes Roll."

And

"Cherokee Nation citizenship does not require a specific blood quantum. It does require that you have at least one direct Cherokee ancestor listed on the Dawes Final Rolls, a federal census of those living in the Cherokee Nation that was used to allot Cherokee land to individual citizens in preparation for Oklahoma statehood."

Source: cherokee.org/Services/TribalCitizenship.aspx

Basically, if you can prove that you are a direct descendant to an individual listed on the Dawes Roll, you can apply for citizenship. A lot of people don't like that because someone with minimal amounts of Cherokee blood could be allowed citizenship, while another person who can prove they are half-Cherokee would be denied for not being able to find a direct descendant on the Dawes Roll. . . but the Cherokee Nation has the right to decide how to determine citizenship for themselves. The argument over blood percentage just strikes me as being a bit too close to the way people were viewed as black if they had even "one drop" of blood or how the Nazis went about determining who was or was not Jewish.

All that said, it is entirely possible that Amy is of Cherokee descent and is not a member of the Cherokee Nation. It's also possible that her family believes, for various reasons, that they are of Cherokee descent but never did the genetic testing to prove it.

This is Famy we're talking about here.

Grain o' salt with every attention-grabbing comment she makes.

Pic of her registering is up. Otherwise known as "waiting for someone to ask where we registered so I can tell everyone where to buy me things"

I can't believe Amy doesn't have a wedding registry online yet.

Come on Amy, get with the grifting program!![/quoteI know she loves attention; but could it be under her other last name-Jordan?

Archived