IGNORED

AMY DUGGAR ENGAGED - scratch that - MARRIED

RabbitKM

Hey Famy, if you want expensive things, GET A JOB and SAVE UP FOR THEM like normal people do. Just because you are (unfortunately) gifted with a certain last name, doesn't make you entitled to free and expensive things!

Funny that you should mention a job. If you look through her instagram, it would appear that she has no job to speak of and hasn't had one for months. She just hangs out with other jobless people and her grandma all day every day. It is very odd. It's not like she is a stay at home mom or even stay at home daughter/sister. She has no one to take care of.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny that you should mention a job. If you look through her instagram, it would appear that she has no job to speak of and hasn't had one for months. She just hangs out with other jobless people and her grandma all day every day. It is very odd. It's not like she is a stay at home mom or even stay at home daughter/sister. She has no one to take care of.

I guess one benefit of her current lack of job is that she doesn't need to quit a job/school to plan her wedding like some of her cousins and the Bates's did.

Does she realize "duggs" is a vulgar word for (large) breasts.

She might and still chose it over Duggar, which has an even worse definition these days.

Does she realize "duggs" is a vulgar word for (large) breasts.

Obviously not. I've not heard of that either. In what country?

Obviously not. I've not heard of that either. In what country?

It's an archaic form of English. Would have been used more commonly in centuries past.

I guess "very expensive" is a matter of opinion. I don't find her registry to be particularly extravagant. A decent mix of prices imo. Its not like shes registered at Neimans for $1000 china sets.

She might and still chose it over Duggar, which has an even worse definition these days.

LOL, I'm pretty sure she'd choose Focker over Duggar now.

I know that people have already commented on the amount of barwear on the list, but I can't understand why she has so many towels either. She has 26 towels! There are only 2 people in this family, so unless she plans to entertain her cousins' entire family simultaneously, how is she going to use 26 towels? I have a family of 5, with frequent guests, and I still don't have anywhere close to that many towels (and we've never run out either!)

I know that people have already commented on the amount of barwear on the list, but I can't understand why she has so many towels either. She has 26 towels! There are only 2 people in this family, so unless she plans to entertain her cousins' entire family simultaneously, how is she going to use 26 towels? I have a family of 5, with frequent guests, and I still don't have anywhere close to that many towels (and we've never run out either!)

I've always heard the rule of thumb being 2 sets for each member of the household and guestroom. Then a good set of company towels X each bathroom.

As a veteran of the marital towel wars (mixed marriage - he was raised that one can re-use a bath towel and I was from a one use and wash family*) I come down on the side of more is always better. Especially being a couple without kids they may only be doing laundry once a week so 5-6 sets each total of 20-24.

*Our marriage barely survived this. It was way worse than the "how does one properly cream spinach" debate which lingers a decade+ later.

I've always heard the rule of thumb being 2 sets for each member of the household and guestroom. Then a good set of company towels X each bathroom.

As a veteran of the marital towel wars (mixed marriage - he was raised that one can re-use a bath towel and I was from a one use and wash family*) I come down on the side of more is always better. Especially being a couple without kids they may only be doing laundry once a week so 5-6 sets each total of 20-24.

*Our marriage barely survived this. It was way worse than the "how does one properly cream spinach" debate which lingers a decade+ later.

Oh my gosh. As someone who washes her towel maybe once a week, I can't imagine the amount of laundry you must do just for towels. I live in a fourth floor walkup, and use a laundromat, so I basically do everything and anything to limit my laundry.

HerNameisBuffy, you must have grown up somewhere with plentiful, cheap water! My mother would have smacked me if I used a towel just once! :)

Speaking of washing-- the future Mrs. Pickle apparently has "mud fight" engagement pics up at benfieldphotography.net/

Do some brides still do the "trash the wedding dress" photo ops sessions? I can see Amy doing that.

I know that some folks find that fun, but it always struck me as shallow and wasteful. If you don't want to keep your wedding dress, give it to charity. Give it to a local school or community drama department (something we have done to dresses in our family--what fun to see your dress again on stage!). Or just sell it.

FAMY posted on her Instagram that "Dilliards" is hosting a wedding shower for her and Dill in their bridal department. FAMY needs to learn how to spell Dillard's, if she's thinking she'll get freebies for company plugs.

AmyRDuggar â€@amyduggar 13m ago

Surprise! Dilliard's in Fayetteville at the NWA mall is hosting a wedding shower for us in the Home… instagram.com/p/6GefGjtkOr/

(edited to add Insta text in case she corrects it (and to break link))

I think it was a few brand names in Amy's registry that caught the attention of the media. Jill's registry was pretty extensive. Amy is not being remotely subtle about the gift grab or the fact she expected her wedding to be televised. Her and Dill sulking about the fact it will not be via instant media has been petulant and unattractive. :snooty:

I agree with other posters, now is a good time to ditch the Duggar name, although she could have always done so earlier and gone back to Jordan.

I really think her registry is normal. I have always seen grandparents and close a uhh nuts and uncles spend a few hundred on a wedding gift while the adverage guest spends from about 50 to 150. What is the norm, does anyone know?

I really think her registry is normal. I have always seen grandparents and close a uhh nuts and uncles spend a few hundred on a wedding gift while the adverage guest spends from about 50 to 150. What is the norm, does anyone know?

I think the norm varies depending on location, social background and economic reality of the moment. As a guest I spend $50 a wedding gift but it rarely looks like it due to knowing where to shop. The Pacific Northwest is less formal than the East Coast and often weddings reflect that in style. I'm not really sure about the mid-west.

As RosyDaisy noted up-thread a lot of friends were not exactly swimming in cash when I married long ago, so my registries and price points reflected that reality. I guess grifters don't care about such things.

Isn't the idea behind wedding registries to help get the new household and family launched? Honestly Amy and Dill can eat just as well off Corelle plates as they can Kate Spade. Even the Microsoft wives I know treat Kate Spade as an indulgence, not a given right.

There was a scene in the show when Jill was planning her wedding where the younger kids made a comment about the daily UPS delivery. That was off putting to me. Yes, it is standard to ship gifts directly to the bride prior to the wedding these days but DAILY gift hauls that become routine? Amy looks greedy to be openly expecting the same.

i attended the wedding of a young couple this spring their invitation plainly stated that they already have everything they need in life and love and are already grateful. No gifts please, if you wish though, here's a link to our local bulldog rescue. Obviously a cause close to their hearts. I happily donated.

Can you picture any member of this family even contemplating such a thing? Even with all their so-called giving hearts (or whatever they call it)?

Wouldn't their wedding have been a perfect opportunity for Jill and Derick to ask for help for their beloved Nepal? I think they did one tiny PSA for TLC and that was it.

I'm sorry, but NO member of this family actually gives to the world. They just TAKE. And without any shame!!!

I love Pinterest because it gives me good ideas and helps me sort out what I want and what my style is. I have a lot of DIY stuff pinned too - I think Pinterest is going to end up saving money in the end for that reason, possibly at the cost of sanity :) I've even seen photographers request a Pinterest board so they can get an idea of what you're looking for photography-wise.

The fiancé and I aren't having a photo booth because we're cheap, but I have nothing against them! I've been to a wedding where they were used as a guest book and it was a really fun idea! It's not the photo booth that's tacky, it's all of the Pinterest stuff put together that ends up looking unoriginal and cheesy, in my opinion. I'm a little more leery about the homemade photo booths because, although they look great on Pinterest, I haven't seen any in person or on Facebook that turn out the way they're supposed to. But I'm sure they could be done well. It's all a matter of personal taste anyway :)

I would check out off beat bride too. Sometimes they can have really DIY ideas too.

I am in LA and I wouldn't consider her registry to be obscene or pricey. It seems pretty standard to me. I would, however, consider her a bit of a fashion victim. Everything is Ralph Lauren and Kate Spade because those are the brands she knows and thinks are fancy.

I dont go to weddings of people I don't personally care about if I can avoid it but what's typical here is

If attending the wedding enough cash in the card to cover your plates (guesstimate average wedding $100 per couple if open bar - big drinkers should kick in more) in addition to a gift of $100-$200 family/close friends depending on the relationship (not including parents/grandparents kind of thing.). $50-$75 is okay if more distant relationship for gift.

I am a firm believer in that people should throw the wedding they can afford and not expect a dime from guest to cover costs, but I know how spendy weddings are and if I care enough about you to show up I'm happy to cover our cost. Besides, even if they shouldn't expect it, it's become a social norm and deciating from the norm at weddings or funerals tends to be remembered forever.

If not attending but just invited then sending the gift without extra to cover plate is common with a nice note in the card about how much you wish you could be there.

If it's someone where I have to figure out how I know them, or someone who I think hopes we don't come and just sent the invite to get a gift I have no problem sending just my well wishes with the rsvp. Or a token if it's distant family and you have to do something or hear about it until the end of time.

I am of the age where I am starting to see a lot of friends/family get married, and I think the prices on her gifts are absurdly high. I just looked at a friends registry today, and the most expensive item was probably the Calphalon pots and pans set. They only requested one set of bedding (not several, which Amy did). The amount of placemats, towels, and just otherwise unnecessary/extravagant wishes on Amy's registry just surprised me, is all. And as far as how much I'd spend at a wedding.. well, as a grad student, $50-$100 would be my range, depending on how well I know the person. That would exclude me from many things on Amy's registry.

forums.thenest.com/discussion/5329953/is-this-weird-or-something-new

Couldn't believe this was a thing, but it is. Post from 2010 about bridal shower hosted at Dillard's.

Come and celebrate the happy couple..and don't forget your credit cards!

If I had to go I would so bring a big ass gift in the bag from the other store where I bought it. "I know you registered here, but I saw something I knew you'd love at Uncle Clem's Live Bait and Lawnmower repair!"

And the open invite for her Instagram followers to head on over? Wow - she is a Duggar.

I will never understand the interest in Amy. She's the minimally talented "normal" cousin of a cult family. The Teen Mom girls are more of a draw than she is. U.S Weekly really wants to be associated with the molester family, don't they?

Archived