IGNORED

AMY DUGGAR ENGAGED - scratch that - MARRIED

RabbitKM

Just saw the US article, and looked at her registry - wow almost everything seems to be bought now. The registry is pricey to me, and filled with tons of things that will end up in a closet collecting dust for years. I guess that happens to a lot of people though. Speaking of which, going through the list I couldn't help but think where are they going to be living where they can put all this stuff??

Also thinking maybe having the shower at Dillards, they might have run a discount if people bought items from the registry while they were there. A store shower seems super super tacky to me, especially when you're going to have two more, and are getting married in less than a month.

The wedding does seem fast, but I agree with some previous posts that they were probably unofficially engaged for awhile. That just happened to a find of mine. Saw her in Jan. where she said she thought a proposal would be coming soon, and that when it does it will be a very short engagement because she's had everything she wanted planned out forever. She got engaged in March, and married at the end of June. In a really nice venue with good food. It was also a Sunday wedding, and she's Catholic and pretty religious and it wasn't a conflict for her or her family.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

300 PERSON SHOWER?!?! I take back what I said. Well played Famy.

Also. Wtf is she wearing? She looks like an extra from Little House on the Prairie who lost her bonnet.

300 PERSON SHOWER?!?! I take back what I said. Well played Famy.

Also. Wtf is she wearing? She looks like an extra from Little House on the Prairie who lost her bonnet.

This is a gross assumption on my part, but she had to play a role for the leg humpers?

That better be one helluva good quality bag.

I mean, I love me some betsey johnson bags. And nice shoes and what not. But I buy them from DSW or some other outlet. Often on sale.

And if you WERE to spend that much on a bag, why a purple one? Why not a black or even brown one that would go with everything?

I grew up in a Southern town--we didn't have a Dillard's nearby, but we did have a Belk's--and I am baffled by the idea of a bridal shower being hosted by a department store. Perhaps this is a new gift grubbing tradition--this is honestly the first I've ever heard it!

From the article:

“When I first met him, he insulted me. It was when ruffles were really in style and he’s like, ‘What the heck are you wearing?’ So we just started laughing that night and hanging out. I was like, ‘Well, if he’s going to be that honest I might as well keep him around,’†she told Us. “I had no intention of ever dating him. I never thought he was attractive. Never flirted with him. Never kissed him. Nothing! Until one night all of our friends went camping and I kind of looked at him different.â€

She continued: “He’s been my best friend for seven years…He makes me laugh more than any person on the planet.â€

Looks like I called it. Seems like she's not particularly enamored with this guy, she just likes him enough to want to get married, and he's smitten enough to put up with her crap.

Makes me think he'll be carrying most of the weight in the relationship.

I grew up in a Southern town--we didn't have a Dillard's nearby, but we did have a Belk's--and I am baffled by the idea of a bridal shower being hosted by a department store. Perhaps this is a new gift grubbing tradition--this is honestly the first I've ever heard it!

I think Dillard's viewed it as publicity, nothing more.

I got a kick out of her comments that it was Uncle JB who insisted she have a real wedding.

From the article:

“When I first met him, he insulted me. It was when ruffles were really in style and he’s like, ‘What the heck are you wearing?’ So we just started laughing that night and hanging out. I was like, ‘Well, if he’s going to be that honest I might as well keep him around,’†she told Us. “I had no intention of ever dating him. I never thought he was attractive. Never flirted with him. Never kissed him. Nothing! Until one night all of our friends went camping and I kind of looked at him different.â€

She continued: “He’s been my best friend for seven years…He makes me laugh more than any person on the planet.â€

Looks like I called it. Seems like she's not particularly enamored with this guy, she just likes him enough to want to get married, and he's smitten enough to put up with her crap.

Makes me think he'll be carrying most of the weight in the relationship.

I don't know. Its possible you're right. . . but its also possible that she's being honest. There are couples who start out just as friends and over time grow attracted to each other romantically.

I don't know. Its possible you're right. . . but its also possible that she's being honest. There are couples who start out just as friends and over time grow attracted to each other romantically.

Yeah, this actually sounds like someone who's not necessarily the most romantic person talking about their significant other. It sounds like my mom and dad when they talk about each other and they've been married for nearly 30 years with no end in sight. Maybe she's just not a very romantic person but it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't love him/want to commit.

Just saw the US article, and looked at her registry - wow almost everything seems to be bought now. The registry is pricey to me, and filled with tons of things that will end up in a closet collecting dust for years. I guess that happens to a lot of people though. Speaking of which, going through the list I couldn't help but think where are they going to be living where they can put all this stuff??

Dear FAMY,

I just took a look at both of your registries. After all, it's important to sign up for duplicates of everything from Dillard's at Bed, Bath & Beyond, isn't it?

Question: Do you and your fiance eat a lot of chips? I'll be married 22 years next month. We got a chips and dip set as a wedding gift. ONE. We gave it away at approximately Year Five. After all, unless you're planning on serving chips and dip with dinner every night, most of your friends will be eating the tortilla chips and salsa straight from the bag/jar when they come over to visit. I can't remember the last time I saw a chips and dip set actually being used in the home of anyone we know that's under 60, but hey, maybe things are different where you live.

We've also been known to dump ice in a Home Depot five-gallon bucket and use it as beverage cooler. We're klassy like that. It doesn't get broken or wrecked when we go outside to enjoy the summer weather. At the same time, if I asked for three $50 ice buckets, our friends would laugh at us.

I'm curious to know why you need five comforters/comforter sets, two of which are identical. I was also intrigued to see that you have requested a shocking number of towels. Perhaps you're planning on opening a midwifery practice or something.

The cutesy Kate Spade highball glasses are going to be wrecked the first time you send them through the dishwasher.

You don't need 25 different Yankee Candles. You need one or two for friends who may not have a lot of money but want to buy you a gift.

It's unfortunate your mom (or his mom, for that matter) didn't sit you down and talk to you about the REAL things new brides need. Here's a short list, because Kate Spade kitchenware and five comforters aren't it.

1. A good cookbook. I recommend Betty Crocker. The recipes are basic but tasty enough to make dinnertime special.

2. The best set of pots and pans you can afford. Ditto a very good knife set. I didn't see one on your registry. You need the kitchen knives more than you need a freaking copper Kitchen Aid.

3. Buy your Kitchen Aid yourselves at Costco. That one's overpriced. And attachments come with it already. You don't need a freaking meat grinder in the first year of marriage.

4. A good meat thermometer. You'll need it when you attempt to make your first turkey or make some pulled pork or whatever.

5. Tongs. Potato peeler. Measuring cups. Basic spices. A good basic corkscrew. The OXO manual can opener. Take back the five chips and dips and ask the kitchen lady to grab the inexpensive gadgets she coudn't survive in the kitchen without. (A hint: None of them are "avocado cutter" or "strawberry huller".)

The biggest thing you and your fiance will need? A JOB. The world does not owe you a 1000 guest wedding or 3 bridal showers. Marriage isn't playing house and grifting as much as you can from your cousins' fan base. It requires patience, unselfishness, compassion, and more love than you can imagine to spend your life with another adult. Reality TV is not real. If you want your marriage to last, you might want to GROW UP as the biggest wedding gift you could give your fiance.

Best,

Rainytown

Dillard's would come across a little classier if they could spell "Salut." :\

My French is terrible, so I don't try to speak it. I don't understand why American companies so frequently use butchered French on their wares...

I agree that there are people that start out as friends and then move on to loving relationships. And honestly, I could be wrong and Amy does genuinely love him. But something tells me he's still going to be doing quite a bit of the heavy lifting in their relationship...

You guys, according to Radar, they've been dating since November. That's 2014 you guys. A long time ago.

people.com/article/amy-duggar-engagement-photos-wedding-details

Free dress (I'm jealous), colors are "rose gold," no Duggar bridesmaids but the little ones will be flower girls, and the wedding will not be in a church.

people.com/article/amy-duggar-engagement-photos-wedding-details

Free dress (I'm jealous), colors are "rose gold," no Duggar bridesmaids but the little ones will be flower girls, and the wedding will not be in a church.

"I don't consider myself a celebrity by any means..."

I want to know what dictionary Famy owns... Trying to come across as down-to-earth while People magazine bothers to interview you about your engagement just doesn't come out that well.

In fact, she's leaning on family for their traditional marriage advice. "I've got an upcoming double date with my uncle Jim Bob and Michelle," she says. "They've been married for 31 years, so we want a little bit of their advice."

A little bit is much too much. At least, we won't be subjective to episodes of Jim Bob and Michelle imparting their godly wisdom. I already couldn't watch the ep where they give advice to Jill and Derick about never, ever ever going into debt even if it means things like not eating.

i attended the wedding of a young couple this spring their invitation plainly stated that they already have everything they need in life and love and are already grateful. No gifts please, if you wish though, here's a link to our local bulldog rescue. Obviously a cause close to their hearts. I happily donated.

Can you picture any member of this family even contemplating such a thing? Even with all their so-called giving hearts (or whatever they call it)?

Wouldn't their wedding have been a perfect opportunity for Jill and Derick to ask for help for their beloved Nepal? I think they did one tiny PSA for TLC and that was it.

I'm sorry, but NO member of this family actually gives to the world. They just TAKE. And without any shame!!!

We had a destination wedding two years ago and insisted on no gifts. People were spending money flying up hiring cars and paying for accommodation… I can't believe some people still expect gifts on top of that !

I have more or less decided, clinched by this last weekend's department store shower and the news of the free dress - that TLC had decided to film Famy's wedding until things blew to kingdom come and TLC was more or less forced to pull the plug on the show (and take that accounting one off - yes, I'm an accountant and that is the term used in the profession to describe things like $19m (m = millions in accounting speak) write offs. I imagine the agreements to provide department store showers and free dresses was part of said write off and already in the agreement between JB and TLC. Grifting very last dime out of TLC might be why JB got that contract attorney on board some time back. And while Famy is not one of his brood, she carries the Duggar name and is still going to get spreads (see above for instance) in People.

I have more or less decided, clinched by this last weekend's department store shower and the news of the free dress - that TLC had decided to film Famy's wedding until things blew to kingdom come and TLC was more or less forced to pull the plug on the show (and take that accounting one off - yes, I'm an accountant and that is the term used in the profession to describe things like $19m (m = millions in accounting speak) write offs. I imagine the agreements to provide department store showers and free dresses was part of said write off and already in the agreement between JB and TLC. Grifting very last dime out of TLC might be why JB got that contract attorney on board some time back. And while Famy is not one of his brood, she carries the Duggar name and is still going to get spreads (see above for instance) in People.

what you are saying is fascinating to me - are you saying that the $19 million loss for TLC - we will continue to see spreads in People? or other places ....or it's like flushing $19 down the toliet all to save face for TLC

or do you mean something entirely different

I'm a little sad at the thought that Joy won't be a bridesmaid or the maid of honor. She and Amy have always seemed close. I am wondering now if Jim Bob prevented Joy from participating in the wedding because he thinks that Amy is still too worldly for his liking, even if she is family, and that it wouldn't somehow "look right" for Joy to be seen with Amy in wedding photos. But then, that line of reasoning wouldn't really follow if the littles are being allowed to participate as flower girls.

Color me confused.

I'm a little sad at the thought that Joy won't be a bridesmaid or the maid of honor. She and Amy have always seemed close. I am wondering now if Jim Bob prevented Joy from participating in the wedding because he thinks that Amy is still too worldly for his liking, even if she is family, and that it wouldn't somehow "look right" for Joy to be seen with Amy in wedding photos. But then, that line of reasoning wouldn't really follow if the littles are being allowed to participate as flower girls.

Color me confused.

Maybe Amy didn't want to go through the trouble of finding modest dresses for the Duggars.

OMG, that article. FAMY needs to take several seats.

So, the owner of the bridal shop just HAPPENED to "recognize her" and gave her a dress for free? Really. How special. And if you believe that, I have the proverbial swampland to sell you.

I was also laughing over her insistence that they "don't need anything". That's why she's having three bridal showers and trolling for gifts (oops, "cards, etc") on Instagram.

The reason why the little girls are in the wedding while their older sisters sit it out? Who's going to say something nasty to a little girl in public? Seriously. Let's just say it won't be a surprise to learn the Duggars will be either seated somewhere the other guests can't speak to them, or won't be in attendance. They can't control FAMY's guest list.

I want to know what dictionary Famy owns... Trying to come across as down-to-earth while People magazine bothers to interview you about your engagement just doesn't come out that well.

A little bit is much too much. At least, we won't be subjective to episodes of Jim Bob and Michelle imparting their godly wisdom. I already couldn't watch the ep where they give advice to Jill and Derick about never, ever ever going into debt even if it means things like not eating.

Has she never met them? I could tell you their advice right now. He's in charge, leave the family planning up to god, never say no to anything he wants, be sexually available at all times, except after having a baby (especially a dirty girl baby).

Archived