IGNORED

Arkansas Midwife Loses License - Mother Speaks Out Merged

halcionne

years ago when we first started talking about "CNM" vs "CPM" I called my friend, an RN for clarification. She said a CNM is like an auto mechanic who went to trade school, has a certification, insurance, and their own physical shop. They may even have tools issued to them by a company, like a sponsorship.

A CPM is like an auto mechanic that got most of their training off of youtube and their tools off ebay.

Who would you prefer to work on your brakes?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all you Doubting Thomas Heathens, Jesus. But Jesus. That is all any laboring woman needs. Hope Jill Dilly learned otherwise.

years ago when we first started talking about "CNM" vs "CPM" I called my friend, an RN for clarification. She said a CNM is like an auto mechanic who went to trade school, has a certification, insurance, and their own physical shop. They may even have tools issued to them by a company, like a sponsorship.

A CPM is like an auto mechanic that got most of their training off of youtube and their tools off ebay.

Who would you prefer to work on your brakes?

I dunno. I'd probably let John David work on my car or bring an excavator into my yard, but I'd never in a million years let Jill so much as use a doppler on my pregnant self and trust her report.

I think a more apt comparison would be letting an apprenticed person do your spinal tap or remove your inflamed appendix. Or perform your kid's tonsillectomy. Certain things can be learned and done safely without going to a brick and mortar, but medical care beyond bandaging boo boos shouldn't be one of them.

But I do take your point. :)

To clarify because it irks me that the likes of Jill and this wanna be midwife are lumped together with others who have real training..... A lay midwife (or CPM) is NOT = a CNM. CNM stands for certified nurse midwife, a nurse who trained in midwifery. I have no reservations about going to a CNM and did so until I experienced complications. I wouldn't let a lay midwife near me.

CNMs have nursing degrees and have to pass all nursing exams and do hold licenses. LPMs aren't even recognized in some states and thankfully some are starting to ban anyone who isn't a CNM. Some states don't track and others like AR do. It's all such a muddled up situation that needs regulation. I personally think everyone but CNMs should be banned from practicing.

This right here is why I'm asking. I've been trying to verify Teresa Fedosky's credentials, and while she doesn't seem to call herself anything other than a doula/Bradley teacher, she keeps popping up as a head honcho at Duggar births. I thought the mystery woman in Jill's VSE promo vid (can't find it now, sorry) might be Teresa Fedosky AGAIN. So I'm interested in her qualifications. She is not registered as a lay midwife or lay midwife apprentice. She's not registered on the AR state board of nursing, either. https://www.ark.org/arsbn/statuswatch/i ... rse/search

So why are TLC and the Duggars letting viewers infer that Teresa Fedosky is a midwife? Even if that's not her we see in tonight's episode, we've seen her in the role of authority figure at Anna's births.

Have you googled Teresa's husband? He seems like bad news. Had his medical license suspended years ago for prescribing himself some narcotics or something, I believe.

This right here is why I'm asking. I've been trying to verify Teresa Fedosky's credentials, and while she doesn't seem to call herself anything other than a doula/Bradley teacher, she keeps popping up as a head honcho at Duggar births. I thought the mystery woman in Jill's VSE promo vid (can't find it now, sorry) might be Teresa Fedosky AGAIN. So I'm interested in her qualifications. She is not registered as a lay midwife or lay midwife apprentice. She's not registered on the AR state board of nursing, either. https://www.ark.org/arsbn/statuswatch/i ... rse/search

So why are TLC and the Duggars letting viewers infer that Teresa Fedosky is a midwife? Even if that's not her we see in tonight's episode, we've seen her in the role of authority figure at Anna's births.

Probably for the same reasons they let viewers infer that if you get chicken pox, you can't get shingles. Or that birth control causes miscarriage. TLC is totally complicit in spreading Duggar idiocy to the masses.

I shouldn't have googled Teresa. What a rabbit hole.

In response to a podcast about birth control: May 10, 2012 // 04:58 pm // #

Teresa Fedosky

Amen!

We need more christians having more children and bringing them up into multigenerational faithfulness.

When did the church start hating children?

We, as a culture, are missing an entire “national treasure†by not encouraging women to be women and men to be men. Mothering and fathering will teach you things that you just won’t get in high school or college. ...and I know this is true because I am the mother of eight children (ages 22 - 2) and my 4 year degree from a major university and even a short stint in post graduate study did not equip me for what I would learn in my real life education (like the song that never ends) of mothering and training my family.

We should shout it from the roof tops! Thanks for shouting from yours…I will keep shouting it from ours.

Blessings,

Teresa Fedosky

Doula for Destiny

Home Educator

Childbirth Educator

Event Coordinator

I'm concerned by what it takes to get ones license revoked in Arkansas. The hubby lost his DEA license but it took two more infractions before they pulled his medical. Then he got his medical back, just a year or two later, but as of 2011 he still didn't have his DEA license.

I shouldn't have googled Teresa. What a rabbit hole.

In response to a podcast about birth control: May 10, 2012 // 04:58 pm // #

Teresa Fedosky

Amen!

We need more christians having more children and bringing them up into multigenerational faithfulness.

When did the church start hating children?

We, as a culture, are missing an entire “national treasure†by not encouraging women to be women and men to be men. Mothering and fathering will teach you things that you just won’t get in high school or college. ...and I know this is true because I am the mother of eight children (ages 22 - 2) and my 4 year degree from a major university and even a short stint in post graduate study did not equip me for what I would learn in my real life education (like the song that never ends) of mothering and training my family.

We should shout it from the roof tops! Thanks for shouting from yours…I will keep shouting it from ours.

Blessings,

Teresa Fedosky

Doula for Destiny

Home Educator

Childbirth Educator

Event Coordinator

I'm concerned by what it takes to get ones license revoked in Arkansas. The hubby lost his DEA license but it took two more infractions before they pulled his medical. Then he got his medical back, just a year or two later, but as of 2011 he still didn't have his DEA license.

Wow, she says so much in that brief comment. I'm appalled at the lack of qualified healthcare providers at Duggar births. And they've done it for years, on camera. I don't have words. Is this any better than Sparkling Lauren's or Kim Coghlan's unattended births? Marginally, I suppose.

When I read TF's signature in the podcast comment, I read it as Childbirth Event Coordinator. Sounds about right. :pink-shock:

There is a lot of extremely interesting discussion about midwives, homebirth, and all the associated outcomes, on skepticalob.com. Not recommended for the faint of heart or the easily offended.

What was her husband? Was he a doctor?

He IS a doctor. He lost his license for about 2 years but got it back. As of 2011, I couldn't find anything after that point, he couldn't prescribe anything DEA class 2 and above. He's listed as a family practice doctor. So he could prescribe something like blood pressure meds but not a pain reliever.

Wow, she says so much in that brief comment. I'm appalled at the lack of qualified healthcare providers at Duggar births. And they've done it for years, on camera. I don't have words. Is this any better than Sparkling Lauren's or Kim Coghlan's unattended births? Marginally, I suppose.

When I read TF's signature in the podcast comment, I read it as Childbirth Event Coordinator. Sounds about right. :pink-shock:

I think Childbirth Even Coordinator is perfect!!!

I'm really appalled by the whole "birth control is evil" BS these people spout. I want concrete proof where in the Bible it says sex is only for procreation. I just want to know where it says I'm sinning. Well it that aspect, I know about the others. :lol:

Last night I found an old thread here talking about her husband. I guess he was in an episode where Anna took Michael to a doctor and it was that guy.

I'm really appalled by the whole "birth control is evil" BS these people spout. I want concrete proof where in the Bible it says sex is only for procreation. I just want to know where it says I'm sinning. Well it that aspect, I know about the others. :lol:

I have to assume those folks have not read the Song of Solomon.

We are talking about different people. The midwife who was the topic of this thread was Venessa Giron of a mommys butterfly and who Jill and Jana studied under. I don't know anything about Teresa.

We are talking about different people. The midwife who was the topic of this thread was Venessa Giron of a mommys butterfly and who Jill and Jana studied under. I don't know anything about Teresa.

Okay, but thread drift happens, and in any case, I'm interested in how one goes about vetting midwives. Venessa and Teresa have both received a fair amount of publicity from the show and have been portrayed as midwives who know what they're doing, and I'm beginning to suspect that neither of them has enough proper training to fill a thimble. I have the same concerns you do, and I don't know how to differentiate a CNM from someone who doesn't have that credential. I feel like Free Jinger just accepted that Jill was getting training from someone who had training herself, and now we see that's not the case. So my question stands: how does one verify a midwife's training and experience? I brought up Teresa because I have concerns about her role in all of this, but leave her out of it if you want. I'm still interested in being able to vet anyone who hangs a midwife shingle on their door.

Vetting a midwife's training and experience is easy:

If she (or I suppose possibly he) is a CNM (certified nurse-midwife), then she is a well-trained RN with a master's degree in midwifery and most likely works in conjunction with an OB-GYN.

If she is a CPM (certified professional midwife), then she is a hobbyist with no training that is in any way comparable to what a CNM has received. Avoid.

Also if someone describes herself as "an expert in normal birth," run away very fast. Normal birth can turn to shit in a moment and then what you need is someone who is an expert in emergencies.

The hospital I had my baby at lists midwives on their website.

They all have various letters after their names. I am too lazy to look it all up...so someone educate me...

What does this mean - MSN, CNM, RNC-EFM ?

The hospital I had my baby at lists midwives on their website.

They all have various letters after their names. I am too lazy to look it all up...so someone educate me...

What does this mean - MSN, CNM, RNC-EFM ?

I could be wrong, but I believe they stand for the following:

MSN - Master of Science in Nursing

CNM - Certified Nurse Midwife

RNC-EFM - Not sure. Might mean something like "Registered Nurse - Electronic Fetal Monitoring"

Okay, I googled and I think you're right about the electronic fetal monitoring. From what I can see, the "C" is for certified.

So yeah...looks like my hospital has some qualified people, so that's nice (not for me, specifically, as I saw an OB and had a c-section...ha!)

Vetting a midwife's training and experience is easy:

If she (or I suppose possibly he) is a CNM (certified nurse-midwife), then she is a well-trained RN with a master's degree in midwifery and most likely works in conjunction with an OB-GYN.

If she is a CPM (certified professional midwife), then she is a hobbyist with no training that is in any way comparable to what a CNM has received. Avoid.

Also if someone describes herself as "an expert in normal birth," run away very fast. Normal birth can turn to shit in a moment and then what you need is someone who is an expert in emergencies.

So, if you're interviewing a propective midwife for your own pregnancy, the midwife will provide CNM documentation when asked. Yes, that is easy. But we're I'm (maybe it's only me?) interested in vetting people we only know through the internet. May not be possible, I understand, if there's no CNM database, or similar. I guess that was my question. Unless an FJer with bigger ovaries than mine wants to make some phone calls... :cracking-up:

I know everybody has their own reasons for reading and participating in Free Jinger. One of the reasons I'm here is to shine a light on the ugly, dark side of protestant* religious extremists and examples of oppressive patriarchal lifestyles. Coming from that place, I am a little ashamed that Venessa Giron (and Teresa Fedosky) seem to have been taken at face value by Free Jinger readers for years. But that's just me. Folks who aren't interested in FJ as investigative reporting tool should disregard my posts. :)

*I tend to focus on this and have been reminded many times that all fundies aren't protestant; I still fall into this line of thinking on a regular basis. Sorry.

So, if you're interviewing a propective midwife for your own pregnancy, the midwife will provide CNM documentation when asked. Yes, that is easy. But we're I'm (maybe it's only me?) interested in vetting people we only know through the internet. May not be possible, I understand, if there's no CNM database, or similar. I guess that was my question. Unless an FJer with bigger ovaries than mine wants to make some phone calls... :cracking-up:

I know everybody has their own reasons for reading and participating in Free Jinger. One of the reasons I'm here is to shine a light on the ugly, dark side of protestant* religious extremists and examples of oppressive patriarchal lifestyles. Coming from that place, I am a little ashamed that Venessa Giron (and Teresa Fedosky) seem to have been taken at face value by Free Jinger readers for years. But that's just me. Folks who aren't interested in FJ as investigative reporting tool should disregard my posts. :)

*I tend to focus on this and have been reminded many times that all fundies aren't protestant; I still fall into this line of thinking on a regular basis. Sorry.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I obviously haven't been on FJ very long, but everything I've read about these midwives, in old threads and in new posts since I've been an active member, was that these women are only lay midwives. I've never read on here that they are anything other than that (in particular, that they are CNMs). So I guess my question is: What do you mean when you say we've been taking them at face value?

Sorry, I thought it was obvious, and universally known. The "midwives" that Jill Duggar was apprenticing with were lay midwives. They were not CNMs. None of the midwives associated with the Duggars at any time, at least none that I have heard about, have been anything other than lay midwives, aka birth enthusiasts, aka hobbyists, aka not qualified midwives.

Edited to add that it is not possible to "apprentice" with a CNM. The only way to become a CNM is to become an RN first and then do a master's degree in midwifery. There is no way that anyone as uneducated as the Duggars would be allowed in the same room as a CNM during a birth.

Okay, so maybe I'm the only person who thought Venessa Giron had legitimate training. I haven't read old posts on Jill's apprenticeship for a long time. I was unimpressed with the lay midwife concept, but somehow I didn't realize her teacher was a lay midwife herself until very recently. I was under the obviously mistaken impression that lay midwives in Arkansas were studying under CNMs. And I'm horrified to think hobbyists (I love the term, by the way) are teaching more hobbyists how to deliver babies. FFS, it's like second generation SOTDRT, only so much more dangerous.

~goes to read up on Jill's apprenticeship more closely~

Archived