IGNORED

Arkansas Midwife Loses License - Mother Speaks Out Merged

halcionne

Considering that Anna used a birthing coach for her first two I'm not shocked that Jill was studying under a lay midwife. I actually kind of expected considering how lackadaisical her studying/training was. I also feel like they keep shifting the number of babies she supposedly helped deliver. Last number she quoted was 100 but I feel like that was much higher than the previous number (60 or 70ish) that she mentioned around her bridal shower/wedding time. I thought she stopped her training with marriage. I guess not. Then again, she might be doing some of that Duggar Math.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People are SO confused in this country with the term "midwife." Many people think that the all midwives are equivalent. That is not the case. The ONLY highly educated and skilled type of midwife in the U.S. are Certified NURSE Midwives who practice with an overseeing OB.

So, yes, if Vanessa lost her "Arkansas license" she can definitely EASILY practice in another state and super quick too.

Jill does have an interesting problem and it seems the fame actually will force her to not doing something high risk for the next child she will most certainly have. I am certain she will absolutely want a VBAC at home. This is problematic. It's against the law in Arkansas. For women who insisted going this route, that wouldn't matter. They could just go off the grid. However, Jill and her "birth" are now too famous. She will be forced to have a baby in a hospital. I can't see any other way around it UNLESS she goes to another state to give birth in a birthing center. And in some states, a "birthing center" has ZERO oversight and could simply be someone else's home.

At least Vanessa won't be practicing here in Alabama. Planned homebirths attended by medical professionals is illegal here. Birthing centers are extensions of and located in local hospitals. But you have the option of having a midwife and natural birth options. A fly in the ointment would be what your insurance will cover. Some will only pay for an OB attended birth.

Anyway, I sense there is more to Vanessa's story than what is being discussed here. I never liked Vanessa when she had brief appearances on 19KAC. I sense this isn't the first time she's been in trouble. Anybody who would take on uneducated, ignorant fundies as apprentices is fucked in the head and cares very little about her patients. Anybody who would chose to have a midwife with uneducated, ignorant fundies as apprentices is looking for an opportunity to rub noses with z-list reality stars rather than looking for a competent midwife.

Teresa Fedosky's husband was a doctor who lost his medical license due to drugs. He was the doctor who gave Mack or Mike their newborn checkup AFTER he lost his license.

Teresa Fedosky's husband was a doctor who lost his medical license due to drugs. He was the doctor who gave Mack or Mike their newborn checkup AFTER he lost his license.

He got his med license back. Let that soak in.

It soaked in, and all I can say is OH SHIT!

Venessa isn't in the TX database.

Rosemary appears to be the apprentice with a head covering.

April 22 was the last baby posted. Nothing after that. No mom connect nothing. Well a plead for some coupon and happy midwives day.

Why did he lose it?

It started with him losing his DEA license. He was found to be writing himself prescriptions for pain killers and using family and alias to get more. He was put on a program and when failed that Arkansas pulled his medical license. He had to work a program, he had a choice of AA or NA, and a psychological program as well. When that was completed to the board's satisfaction he got his medical license back. As of 2012 he still hadn't gotten his DEA license back and I couldn't find anything after that. Not sure if he can't ask for the DEA license back again or what.

It started with him losing his DEA license. He was found to be writing himself prescriptions for pain killers and using family and alias to get more. He was put on a program and when failed that Arkansas pulled his medical license. He had to work a program, he had a choice of AA or NA, and a psychological program as well. When that was completed to the board's satisfaction he got his medical license back. As of 2012 he still hadn't gotten his DEA license back and I couldn't find anything after that. Not sure if he can't ask for the DEA license back again or what.

He should have gone to jail.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I skimmed through some old posts I found and, with hindsight being 20/20, I can see there were some FJers who weren't picking up what TLC and the Duggars were putting down with regard to Jill's training. I suppose I'm ashamed at myself for having been less skeptical than I am now. I actually feel so uncomfortable and disillusioned with all of this that I don't know how to respond to posts in this thread. :( I am reading them all, though. The notion that Venessa Giron and Teresa Fedosky may have had increased business because they appeared on the show turns my stomach.

Speaking of Teresa: she was registered at one point as a lay midwife apprentice, with Venessa as her instructor. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=11334&hilit=jill+venessa#p320898 I'm trying to find an archived or cached version of the document quoted, but I suck at google cache.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Until one has a real need to know the difference most people don't. And even then they might not.

:text-+1:

the sad thing is that it's hidden. I never even knew about the Hurt By Homebirth group until seeing it on FJ.

People don't upload videos of their tragic birth to youtube. It's all the beautiful ones. I think moms want that beautiful experience, and they try to ignore or downplay the risks.

For instance What to Expect When You're Expecting is a tad bit alarmist :lol: well that's a good thing imo, to know the things that can go wrong even if it leads to some stress about stuff that never happens.

But on the web pregnant women can edit things down to just what they want to hear, even without being intentional about ignoring bad stuff. They just search out the positive. It's dangerous.

Well, sometimes they do it to themselves, other times they have it done for them. Try and talk about risks on MDC or Joyous Birth and see how quickly you get banned and your posts edited. Any woman on there looking for information is going to be fed a carefully curated line.

I never knew that about Teresa's husband. Guess I now understand why Anna didn't use her again for Marcus. I wonder where the M kids were getting their checkups. If they got them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well. She's back at it. Several babies have been posted on her Facebook in the last few weeks. (A mommys butterfly.. Side note but what the fuck kind of name is that?!) Ugh.

I hope this is not Anna's best option now she has had to flee her old home.

Actually, her worst option is Jill, as Vanessa at least had a license at some point, and Jill partially trained with someone who had her license revoked.

I was under the impression from previous posts that she wasn't allowed to practice in Arkansas, but could do so in Texas because there is no national licensing agency.

I would like to check out her Instagram feed as well.

I was just looking at her Facebook page. It looks like she at adopted a child at some point but no longer has that child. Not sure what the story is there. But it piqued my curiosity.

Wow. Is this woman stupid, or what?

She probably doesn't care, after all God will take care of any legal troubles that my come her way, also she is rather stupid.

Does anyone know the story with the adoptive child she apparently didn't keep or something along those lines 4 years ago? I'm nosy.

Archived