IGNORED

Arkansas Midwife Loses License - Mother Speaks Out Merged

halcionne

Holy effing shit. Glad she can just "sleep it off" and move on, whereas the parents of that child have no such option. Did the baby even survive? Ending up on ECMO is really, really serious. Beyond regular ventilator and jet vent, I think. 

Also, who on earth would ever want someone to deliver their child that could be so heartless to not even seem to care that a child they delivered suffered all of that? Even if that baby lived (which I'm assuming since I didn't see anything saying otherwise), if I had made the decisions leading to that outcome I would be all about that little baby and how I wish I had made better decisions to help him avoid complications.

I also want to add, all this "God's hand is in this" talk about a medical care provider and a medical situation really freaks me the hell out. I'd rather my medical professionals rely on their training and all than god. That's why an OB did my section, not a pastor.

Yeah, ECMO is done only for the sickest neonates.  ECMO stands for Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation and you can read about it here.  ECMO   It is not without its complications though and that's why it used only when absolutely necessary.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, ECMO is done only for the sickest neonates.  ECMO stands for Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation and you can read about it here.  ECMO   It is not without its complications though and that's why it used only when absolutely necessary.

Oh I know what ECMO is. When my boys were born early at a hospital with a level 3 NICU, that was the one thing they would have had to be transferred into Manhattan for.

Usually preterm infants are excluded from ECMO treatment because of the fragility of their brains and coagulation meds and issues associated with ECMO treatment.

VG would not be liable for the cause of GBS, but rather how she treated the infection and the consequences of her actions during that treatment plan and process.

There was no indication that the baby was premature, but Venessa said something about fighting for the mother's right to decide for herself.  It made me wonder if the mother objected to the IV antibiotics and Venessa went ahead and delivered the baby without antibiotics instead of refusing to participate.  The baby did survive after several weeks in the NICU in Little Rock. 

Babies get strep from their moms if their moms have that strep, so how did Venessa cause it?  And how did she cause the seizures?  I'm not finding anything that goes into how she's to blame.  Now saying she's not, but I am curious how she's responsible for causing them.

And Venessa?  Jozzie?  Geeeez Looeez.

I'm assuming since she was charged with negligence here that she didn't test the mom for group b strep, and it appears she waited too long to transfer the baby to the hospital. That was the jest I got from it (Granted, I didn't re-read the article right at this moment as I'm on my phone)

Wow, what a horrifyingly narcissistic lady. My heart goes out to the baby and parents who are coping with the aftermath of what she "loves to do."

Oh I know what ECMO is. When my boys were born early at a hospital with a level 3 NICU, that was the one thing they would have had to be transferred into Manhattan for.

I knew you would Twinmama, but I wasn't sure if some others would.  ECMO wasn't developed until some years after our experience in the NICU.

Wow, what a horrifyingly narcissistic lady. My heart goes out to the baby and parents who are coping with the aftermath of what she "loves to do."

If what you "love to do" directly leads to the near-death of a baby because of your own negligence and stubbornness, it's time to take up knitting.

• 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, Tiffany said:

This was my baby. Venessa was my midwife. She nearly took the life of my child with her screw up

Are you referring to the original story?  I can't imagine a more terrifying ordeal.  Is everything okay now?

there were rumors Venessa was at Jessas birth.  Have you heard anything?

12 hours ago, Tiffany said:

This was my baby. Venessa was my midwife. She nearly took the life of my child with her screw up

I am so sorry. I can't even imagine. :(  How is your child doing now?

Would you be interested in telling us what happened?

This just came up on my news feed.  Thoughts?

http://www.inquisitr.com/2971135/mother-whose-baby-nearly-died-says-a-duggar-attended-her-homebirth-discusses-why-jill-dillards-midwife-trainer-lost-her-license/

From the article:

..."Though the newborn survived, the child is now permanently disabled and the mother says that it was this botched home birth that resulted in Jill Dillard’s midwife trainer to lose her license to practice in the state of Texas. The mother also informed Duggar fans that Jill Dillard was present for the botched home birth, and voiced her disagreement with her trainer’s decision to delay the infant’s transfer to the hospital."

I pulled up Tiffany's (the mother's) FB page, which shows a high school graduation date of 2005 and a cover photo with six different children.  Her profile photo is what I assume is a photo of her with her husband.  The husband's FB page displays marriage dates in 2006, and in 2010, both to Tiffany, although I think the 2010 date is the correct one.  The husband APPEARS to be older, and it is unclear of all six children are her biological children, although none of them looks markedly older than 10.  She has posts about change.org petitions relating to medical marijuana.  It appears they had another baby recently.  So, mom has six kids in 8-10 years.  But also supports medical mary jane...interesting.

I don't know much about Venessa Giron, the midwife.  I can't tell from her FB page how many kids she has.  Tiffany is the mother of the baby who suffered a brain injury on Venessa Giron's midwife watch, after Giron advised against taking the strep b-positive baby to the hospital for two hours.  It's Tiffany who now has six children, and probably isn't even 30.  Such a sad situation all around.

Just now, SassyPants said:

Jill was attending births in TX?

Tiffany lived in Arkansas. Venessa moved to Texas at some point to practice midwifery there.

2 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Tiffany lived in Arkansas. Venessa moved to Texas at some point to practice midwifery there.

Weird- TX voided her license, but AR did not immediately void the license?

13 minutes ago, NeverAFundie said:

I don't know much about Venessa Giron, the midwife.  I can't tell from her FB page how many kids she has.  Tiffany is the mother of the baby who suffered a brain injury on Venessa Giron's midwife watch, after Giron advised against taking the strep b-positive baby to the hospital for two hours.  It's Tiffany who now has six children, and probably isn't even 30.  Such a sad situation all around.

Ok I was a little confused by who the trainer was by name.  Thanks. And I'm guessing the midwife did not do the prenatal strep B test because she is not a nurse, nor nurse practitioner, nor physician.  

The Arkansas Department of Health, at a January 22, 2015 meeting, made findings of fact, conclusions of law, and an order regarding Venessa, but the details are not in the minutes.  

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/aboutADH/Documents/BOHMinutes/012215mins.pdf

Venessa's FB post about the whole thing is very vague, and when a commenter asked if they were going to take her license, she answered that no, she would probably just have to do more paperwork.

https://www.facebook.com/venessa.giron/posts/10154303537710425

I'm not sure why TX pulled her license but AR didn't...

And the article goes on to say that Vanessa was living in one of the Duggar's homes they rent out?  Why on earth does everything always tie into real estate owned by Jim Bob?  So Jill was training at this birth right along side Vanessa.  Was this before Jill had Izzy or not?

On April 1, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Tiffany said:

Just catching up now and I had no idea there was a post about this already.  Are you the mom in the article?  If so...I'm so sorry!  Thank you so much for sharing your information!  

Arkansas did appear to revoke Venessa's license.  Instead of listing her with revoked, they completely removed her name from the list of licensed lay midwives in Arkansas.  The also removed Jill from the list of trainee midwives. 

In Arkansas the midwife is supposed to see that the mother is tested for strep B before birth and make sure antibiotic treatment is obtained for during labor. 

Tiffany and Venessa DID know about her being group B strep positive before the birth. But Tiffany said Venessa never told her she needed to be on antibiotics for it. She told her to do some non-approved treatment or something. (Pickles' facebook page has all the screenshots of the conversation.)

Well how would any of that be tested or treated since Vanessa is not a nurse practitioner nor physician?  

She didn't say how they knew. But I suppose she could have gone to her regular doctor to have them check. Or maybe even an urgent care type place? I don't know. 

Archived