IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Other Bates Family Doings

happy atheist

I'm thinking the ultrasound would have had to be vaginal at the point they actually had it. I can't see them possibly have waiting until 10-12 weeks to confirm. She was likely 6 or 7 weeks when it was done. Probably wouldn't want a camera crew in there, even with a drape, it would be embarressing.

I also, personally, think the ultrasound scene was a reenactment. Or, actually, that it was probably an actual o.b. appointment, but not the first one. Her clothing and the way she was carrying herself looked like she was trying to hide a bump. Plus they didn't seem as nervous as you would think they would. And I doubt they would have wanted the camera crew there if she had just taken the test and weren't sure yet. I bet she was closer to 3 months when the segment was filmed.

For this pregnancy I didn't have a vaginal for my dating ultrasound. I was exactly nine weeks. That being said, i wouldn't want a camera in for a normal tummy ultrasound. I totally agree with you that maybe she just didn't feel comfortable having the cameras in there. Maybe for that reason, or in case it was bad news. Or maybe the OB's office doesn't allow video recording, ya know?

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
 !  {TEXT1}:
Do NOT post speculation concerning the sexual orientation of any minor children or adult children still living in their parental homes. These kids have no say in their lives being put out for public consumption and their lives are hard enough without their homophobic parents getting the idea from us that one of their children may be gay. Users who are unable to abide by this rule after warnings have been issued will be placed on a Journey to the Heart to consider their actions.

Is Nathan in college? I distantly remember something about him wanting to become a pastor. I'm too sure about this but don't pastors not make any money from the position? It's going to be hard to raise a quiver on even less than what Gil makes.

Most pastors get paid a salary with benefits. My mom is a pastor and makes an average salary for the area she lives in.

Most pastors get paid a salary with benefits. My mom is a pastor and makes an average salary for the area she lives in.

And it depends on the size and type of church. In my area, there are many small, highly individualized churches where pastors may make a small salary but must also work a day job.

I don't think any of these families worry about making enough money to raise a quiver...after all, God will provide, right?

Yes, God will take his ass to a workplace every morning to make sure there is enough income for n+1 kids in that particular family.

And by "God will provide" they mean that, if push comes to shove, other people will feel bad enough for their kids that they will give the family support. It means that you don't have to worry or plan to support yourself and your family, because you can always guilt others into doing it for you.

ESPECIALLY in terms of the Bates pre-TV, Rodrigueses, and Shraders, "God" is not providing at all. They are living/grifting off the pity/charity/surplus of other people.

Edit: Erin's fertility issues have me wondering: I wonder how some of the couples would feel if they (for whatever reason) end up having an average size family...and then were expected to help "support" siblings who chose to have more children than they could afford. I mean, it's pretty bad when the adults wont get jobs to adequately support their offspring (Gil) and you know of them through Church so you give a little to help out, but it's even harder when it's your sibling (or sibling in law). If Gil and Kelly used Lawson as a bank, I could totally see some precedent for using siblings as a way to make ends meet.

And by "God will provide" they mean that, if push comes to shove, other people will feel bad enough for their kids that they will give the family support. It means that you don't have to worry or plan to support yourself and your family, because you can always guilt others into doing it for you.

ESPECIALLY in terms of the Bates pre-TV, Rodrigueses, and Shraders, "God" is not providing at all. They are living/grifting off the pity/charity/surplus of other people.

Edit: Erin's fertility issues have me wondering: I wonder how some of the couples would feel if they (for whatever reason) end up having an average size family...and then were expected to help "support" siblings who chose to have more children than they could afford. I mean, it's pretty bad when the adults wont get jobs to adequately support their offspring (Gil) and you know of them through Church so you give a little to help out, but it's even harder when it's your sibling (or sibling in law). If Gil and Kelly used Lawson as a bank, I could totally see some precedent for using siblings as a way to make ends meet.

This is exactly why I think Lawson will put off marriage for a while and even when he does, will probably practice some form of natural family planning, like charting. He has been the family bank since he started making his own money when he was 13. He has had to buy the family groceries and pay for his sister to go to college bc the one that gave her a free ride wasn't good enough and had to help buy his brother a car. And these are his older siblings! He knows better than most how difficult it is to financially support a mega family. Unfortunately, I think the precedent has already been set in that Bates family for everyone to go to Lawson for loans. That's really going to piss off his wife when she wants to save for something for their own children but can't bc he keeps loaning out money to his siblings bc his parents had more children than they could afford.

I think it really depends on how much work and effort you put into teaching the child certain things. My four and six year old can look at a map of the world and name the continents and a few countries. They can name states from a US map. That's just something we've worked on a lot. That being said, I'm still pretty impressed with Callie's memorization. She may have been prepped ahead of time but she was still able to spit back the information. I think she legitimately knows this stuff.

On a side note, I'm rather disappointed that the Bateses are teaching their kids the whole "Christopher Columbus founded America" lie. I'm not surprised, though.

I was disappointed by that as well. But it could very we'll be that Kelly and Gil werent informed that was wrong and they're using materials that have that "fact."

For this pregnancy I didn't have a vaginal for my dating ultrasound. I was exactly nine weeks. That being said, i wouldn't want a camera in for a normal tummy ultrasound. I totally agree with you that maybe she just didn't feel comfortable having the cameras in there. Maybe for that reason, or in case it was bad news. Or maybe the OB's office doesn't allow video recording, ya know?

It could be the no cameras thing. I remember when I broke my hand, I got in trouble for using my camera to take a picture of my own arm because hospital policies said no cameras at all in the cast room.

This is exactly why I think Lawson will put off marriage for a while and even when he does, will probably practice some form of natural family planning, like charting. He has been the family bank since he started making his own money when he was 13. He has had to buy the family groceries and pay for his sister to go to college bc the one that gave her a free ride wasn't good enough and had to help buy his brother a car. And these are his older siblings! He knows better than most how difficult it is to financially support a mega family. Unfortunately, I think the precedent has already been set in that Bates family for everyone to go to Lawson for loans. That's really going to piss off his wife when she wants to save for something for their own children but can't bc he keeps loaning out money to his siblings bc his parents had more children than they could afford.

Poor Lawson. If only someone could introduce him to a thing called "high interest bank account".

Poor Lawson. If only someone could introduce him to a thing called "high interest bank account".

Would that be an "approved" form of investment? If so, he should totally do that. I certainly hope he is charging his siblings interest or any loans he gives them. He could easily just put the interest he makes from those loans into a high interest bank account, a CD or something. He's obviously good with money. Too bad he can't go to school for finance or business. He'd probably be really good at it.

I have no reason to assume that Lawson doesn't have a bank account.

However, tell me more about these "high interest" bank accounts! :?

Here in the United States, interest rates are EXTREMELY low (about 1%) and have been for several years. Those of you in Australia have interest rates higher than that (at least 2%).

My point is, none of us in US are earning much interest in any sort of savings/money market accounts/CDs right now. If Lawson is really clever, he's charging his family more than 1% interest!! :)

I was disappointed by that as well. But it could very we'll be that Kelly and Gil werent informed that was wrong and they're using materials that have that "fact."

I think that if they just don't give one shit about actual facts. These are the people who built a shrine to Nathan Bedford Forrest in their house. I kind of doubt that they are presenting him to their children as the first KKK Grand Wizard who was accused of war crimes for massacring hundreds of white Southern Unionists and Black Union soldiers. I'm sure they gloss over that part of his life and present him as a wonderful, godly man who fought for freedom against the evil government. I imagine their children get a very selective version of American history, starting with a godly Columbus founding America and ending with evil Obama trying to take away their guns and force godly businesses to pay for abortions.

I'm not excusing them from the Nathan Bedford Forest thing in any way shape or form, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly were telling the truth and they actually didn't realize how bad he was. I know that sounds ludicrous but consider that these are the same people, supposedly dedicated Christians, who named their daughter Michal without knowing what the character in the Bible was actually like. They don't seem to give a lot of thought to a lot of things. They hear something that sounds good and they just go with it. Then later they realize they had no idea what they were actually doing. They're kind of morons that way, and when you think about it, it's no surprise that they (however well intentioned) were easily sucked into a cult.

I have no reason to assume that Lawson doesn't have a bank account.

However, tell me more about these "high interest" bank accounts! :?

Here in the United States, interest rates are EXTREMELY low (about 1%) and have been for several years. Those of you in Australia have interest rates higher than that (at least 2%).

My point is, none of us in US are earning much interest in any sort of savings/money market accounts/CDs right now. If Lawson is really clever, he's charging his family more than 1% interest!! :)

I'm at a credit union. My checking account has a 1.5% interest and my savings account has 2.5%

I'm at a credit union. My checking account has a 1.5% interest and my savings account has 2.5%

I'm a credit union customer as well. But most of us get to join credit unions because of our employment, our relationship to an employment family member, or relationship to the military. Of the top of my head, I can't think of a credit union that self-employed Law Bates would be eligible to join. And I wouldn't be surprised if your checking account doesn't have a minimum level requirement.

My point is, Lawson, who does lawncare for a living, probably doesn't have the ability right now to earn a lot of interest. I would think that gassing up the truck and paying recording studio fees would be consuming a lot of his earnings.

Hmm, that's odd. I'm in Canada and at least in my city, anyone can join a credit union.

Hmm, that's odd. I'm in Canada and at least in my city, anyone can join a credit union.

In the United States, Credit Union membership is restricted by law. Still, over half of the population uses credit unions. It is possible that there might be a local credit union in East Tennessee that Lawson could join because he meets the geographic requirement, but if there isn't one, he's probably hosed, because he's self-employed, not part of a religious organization (big enough to have a credit union), not a college alum, & not a military family member or veteran.

From Wikipedia:

"As of 2003, U.S. governmental regulatory agencies require that credit unions restrict their membership to defined segments of the population, such as people who live, work, worship, or attend school in a well-defined geographic area; employees of specific companies or trades; members of specific non-profit groups, including labor unions, alumni associations, conservation or other advocacy organizations, lodges, churches, or the like; or a particular occupational group, such as teachers, doctors, etc.] In the US this is referred to as a credit union's "field of membership", Internationally the term bond of association is used."

The downside of many of the credit unions (at least in my area) is that they are smaller. Yes, there is at least 1 national one, but I know people who have issues when they so much as go out of the general area.

If Lawson thinks he might be travelling a lot for work (a safe bet with music), he may be better served with a larger national bank that will have more branches across the country. Nothing is more inconvenient than when you need to visit the bank/ATM/access your money and are unable to do so.

You'd think the rise of the digital age, credit cards and such would have solved this, but as someone who travels to Canada from the US frequently, the struggle can still be very real.

I'm not excusing them from the Nathan Bedford Forest thing in any way shape or form, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly were telling the truth and they actually didn't realize how bad he was. I know that sounds ludicrous but consider that these are the same people, supposedly dedicated Christians, who named their daughter Michal without knowing what the character in the Bible was actually like. They don't seem to give a lot of thought to a lot of things. They hear something that sounds good and they just go with it. Then later they realize they had no idea what they were actually doing. They're kind of morons that way, and when you think about it, it's no surprise that they (however well intentioned) were easily sucked into a cult.

I didn't realize she had addressed their worship of such a horrible person. Did she say if they took down the shrine to him?

I do think that in many ways they are mindless idiots, but amazingly I still think that both Gil and Kelly are brighter than Jim Bob and Michelle. :lol:

Am I the only one who wouldn't dream of charging interest on a loan to/ from a family member :shock:

I mean, I know you all think money dances are tacky, but charging interest to a sibling ? -- the only times that would make sense to me is 1) if it was such a huge amount that it would have been invested in something that would be making a lot of money. Or 2) if the money borrowed was put on a credit card --- then of course it would make sense to pay the interest being charged.

I think it would be nice if someone volunteered it, but it can't imagine requiring it otherwise.

Am I the only one who wouldn't dream of charging interest on a loan to/ from a family member :shock:

I mean, I know you all think money dances are tacky, but charging interest to a sibling ? -- the only times that would make sense to me is 1) if it was such a huge amount that it would have been invested in something that would be making a lot of money. Or 2) if the money borrowed was put on a credit card --- then of course it would make sense to pay the interest being charged.

I think it would be nice if someone volunteered it, but it can't imagine requiring it otherwise.

The only time I would charge interest is if my sibling were borrowing money so frequently that, even if I was consistently repaid, I felt I was being taken advantage of.

I only truly loan money to a handful of people, though. For the vast majority of people, I view a loan as a gift and will neither pursue them to pay it back nor "loan" to them unless I really don't need the money.

The only time I would charge interest is if my sibling were borrowing money so frequently that, even if I was consistently repaid, I felt I was being taken advantage of.

I only truly loan money to a handful of people, though. For the vast majority of people, I view a loan as a gift and will neither pursue them to pay it back nor "loan" to them unless I really don't need the money.

That's what Judge Judy and Dr. Laura say! Dont 'loan' money to family. Only give them an amount that you arent upset to see gone as a gift.

I'm in the US and I was able to join a credit union just by walking in and saying "I want to open an account". I didn't need to be employed by anyone or be related to anyone who was employed by someone. It was no different than walking into a bank.

As far as Forrest is concerned, didn't he also come up with some really innovative war tactics that we still use today?? I'm not excusing his bad actions at all, but I do wonder if they discuss him in that sense. It still doesn't make it okay to have a shrine in your house to him, though.

Archived