IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Other Bates Family Doings

happy atheist

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm going to guess she's due on July 1st. If I'm right... I win Free Jinger.

She's also 25 (I think she will be this week) and not yet married (but will be soon). If she married at 19 like her sister, then yes. I just can't see her having 19 assuming she has her first at 26.

Agreed. Since there aren't any twin Bateses, it's not likely (not impossible, just not likely) that she'd have twins. She'd have to give birth once a year until the age of 45 to reach 19 kids. There's no way her body could sustain that many births in quick succession.

Well, I'm going to guess she's due on July 1st. If I'm right... I win Free Jinger.

I'm going to guess late may to early June based on the fact that she's announced, so she's likely out of the first trimester.

July 1st would have her well out of the first trimester by now. I'm just saying! :D

Agreed. Since there aren't any twin Bateses, it's not likely (not impossible, just not likely) that she'd have twins. She'd have to give birth once a year until the age of 45 to reach 19 kids. There's no way her body could sustain that many births in quick succession.

Right, and considering that gestation is 40 wks, she'd have to get her cycle back RIGHT AWAY and conceive on the first or second try every time.

Since she'll probably breast feed, it is very unlikely that her cycle will return that quickly.

I'm going to guess late may to early June based on the fact that she's announced, so she's likely out of the first trimester.

I'm due May 26th, and I'm 22 weeks and 2 days. Well into my second trimester. :)

I'm due May 26th, and I'm 22 weeks and 2 days. Well into my second trimester. :)

Congrats!

I think July 1st would put her at about 17 weeks? Something like that. Well out of the first trimester, anyway. Yeah, July 1st, I'm sticking to it. I'm going to be SO disappointed if it turns out she's due in June or August. :lol:

Congrats!

I think July 1st would put her at about 17 weeks? Something like that. Well out of the first trimester, anyway. Yeah, July 1st, I'm sticking to it. I'm going to be SO disappointed if it turns out she's due in June or August. :lol:

Thanks! :D

July 1st would put her 5 weeks and a day behind me, which would be 17 weeks and a day as of today.

The ultrasound that she had, it looks like my dating ultrasound. That's just where they check to make sure you're really pregnant, and they measure the baby. By doing so they are able to get a due date. I had mine on October 21st. It looks to be pretty fall~ish outside, so for that reason my guess is that her due date is around mine. So, like very end of May or very early June. I'll admit I don't know Tennessee seasons, so I could be totally off, lol. :P

Even if her due date is July 1st, she should know what she's having by now. My guess is girl. :)

They did say she'll need heparin shots twice a day because of her clotting issue, so this will not be an easy pregnancy. Clearly this falls under the "measures to sustain a pregnancy" category of belief for them. Hopefully this will be a sign that they should not pursue a full quiver. Also, when she was undergoing her ultrasound, unlike on TLC where they showed Michelle getting the scan, on UP they just had the audio of the scan an showed the door to the room, which has a poster with pictures of ultrasounds and the phrase "God Builds for Nine Months" on it, and the clinic's website has Bible verses all over it (drvick.com), although they do offer a gamut of contraceptive options. Congrats to the couple!

They did say she'll need heparin shots twice a day because of her clotting issue, so this will not be an easy pregnancy. Clearly this falls under the "measures to sustain a pregnancy" category of belief for them. Hopefully this will be a sign that they should not pursue a full quiver. Also, when she was undergoing her ultrasound, unlike on TLC where they showed Michelle getting the scan, on UP they just had the audio of the scan an showed the door to the room, which has a poster with pictures of ultrasounds and the phrase "God Builds for Nine Months" on it, and the clinic's website has Bible verses all over it (drvick.com), although they do offer a gamut of contraceptive options. Congrats to the couple!

I'm thinking the ultrasound would have had to be vaginal at the point they actually had it. I can't see them possibly have waiting until 10-12 weeks to confirm. She was likely 6 or 7 weeks when it was done. Probably wouldn't want a camera crew in there, even with a drape, it would be embarressing.

I also, personally, think the ultrasound scene was a reenactment. Or, actually, that it was probably an actual o.b. appointment, but not the first one. Her clothing and the way she was carrying herself looked like she was trying to hide a bump. Plus they didn't seem as nervous as you would think they would. And I doubt they would have wanted the camera crew there if she had just taken the test and weren't sure yet. I bet she was closer to 3 months when the segment was filmed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe everyone has the same odds for identical twins, but likelihood of fraternal twins can be genetic.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe everyone has the same odds for identical twins, but likelihood of fraternal twins can be genetic.

Yes. Fraternal twins generally occur when a woman releases an egg from both ovaries at once, and the tendency to do this (hyper-ovulation) can have a genetic link. So women with fraternal twins in their immediate family are more likely to have fraternal twins themselves.

There is no link to identical twins, so Michael is just as likely as I am to have a set of identical twins. In other words, there is a 33 out of 1,000 chance that she will have identical twins.

They don't yet understand what causes identical twinning (though they think it may have something to do with hormonal levels because people using fertility treatments like IVF have a higher chance of identical twinning than the average person). Because they dont understand what causes it, it's generally understood that identical twinning is a crap shoot and everyone has the potential. That said, it's not a very high likelihood that identical twinning would occur; and, even if it did, the likelihood of Michael conceiving enough sets of identical twins for her to reach 19 kids by the time she reaches menopause would be so astronomically low that they might actually do studies on her to see what caused her to win "the genetic lottery."

There's also the possibility of semi-identical twinning, which is so rare that they didn't even identify it until a couple years ago. Basically, semi-identical twins are formed when the same egg is penetrated by two separate sperm at the same time, causing the egg to split off. The resulting twins are 50% identical, but can even be different genders. But, that's just more of an interesting tidbit than an option for Michael to reach 19 kids.

Yes. Fraternal twins generally occur when a woman releases an egg from both ovaries at once, and the tendency to do this (hyper-ovulation) can have a genetic link. So women with fraternal twins in their immediate family are more likely to have fraternal twins themselves.

There is no link to identical twins, so Michael is just as likely as I am to have a set of identical twins. In other words, there is a 33 out of 1,000 chance that she will have identical twins.

So I was just looking up the statistics for identical twinning and NO ONE seems to agree. Some are saying 1/3 of twin pregnancies with twins accounting for 3 in 1000 live births world wide. Some are saying 1 in 283 pregnancies world wide. Some are saying twins in general are 32.2 out of every 1000 world wide with identical twins coming in at 3 out of ever 1000.

I don't know who to believe =p

Well, I think we can all agree on one point: while it's possible, it's unlikely that Michael or any Bates girl will have one or multiple sets of twins :)

And for that reason and others, it's very unlikely that Michael will have 19 kids.

Michael(la) said on tonight's episode that she wants as many kids as she can have. She also said she wants to be married sooner than later, but Gil & Kelly (Jo) said that they expect Brandon will want to save some money up first. So time will tell - clearly she is ready to get married and get on to babymaking and not just nannying.

Also, in last week's episode Kelly said that Whitney was due "in four weeks" which would be the end of October, so theoretically that episode was filmed at the end of September or so. If you guesstimate that the next episode where Erin has the ultrasound is within a few weeks of that and before Whitney had Bradley, then she should be due sometime around mid-June (of course this is total speculation - nothing in any of their Instagram accounts or blogs points to anything specific that I can find).

I'm thinking the ultrasound would have had to be vaginal at the point they actually had it. I can't see them possibly have waiting until 10-12 weeks to confirm. She was likely 6 or 7 weeks when it was done. Probably wouldn't want a camera crew in there, even with a drape, it would be embarressing.

I also, personally, think the ultrasound scene was a reenactment. Or, actually, that it was probably an actual o.b. appointment, but not the first one. Her clothing and the way she was carrying herself looked like she was trying to hide a bump. Plus they didn't seem as nervous as you would think they would. And I doubt they would have wanted the camera crew there if she had just taken the test and weren't sure yet. I bet she was closer to 3 months when the segment was filmed.

Why vaginal? I had a normal US for my 6 week dating scan last year. This time last year :)

Also, I searched the Batseseses section and didn't find mention of this, so forgive me if it's a repeat, but there is a blog for the show, and Zach actually dropped the hint about Erin's pregnancy before the latest episode aired. There is also some interesting commentary there by Alyssa and Zach about the episodes (and I learned that Chad's real first name is Charles?) and they have individual "blogs" and a Bates Family Tree here:

bringingupbatesblog.com/

On thing Zach said in his blog was that people ask him if his parents are going to go into 'grandparent mode' and be softer on the grandchildren than they were on their kids... and he said that for the sake of his kids and his siblings' kids, he sure hopes so! :shock:

Why vaginal? I had a normal US for my 6 week dating scan last year. This time last year :)

Really? Wow, technology progresses so fast. I was just going off what my daughter had when was pregnant 5 years ago. She had to have one at around six weeks because she was very, very ill and they wanted to confirm the pregnancy before they decided on medications. They told her they had to do the vaginal when it was that early in order to see the heartbeat. I don't think she even could have gotten in for a regular checkup at six weeks.

When I had my daughter almost 2 years ago, normal first pregnancy, I had a vaginal ultrasound at 8 weeks to make sure they saw everything and found a heartbeat.

I take care of a 16 month old and his mom had a vaginal ultrasound at 7 weeks with him. If she's currently pregnant (they did blood work today), she'll have another one in a couple weeks.

I don't think I've ever heard of a 6 week regular ultrasound before.

6 week ultrasounds are not routine UNLESS you have a history of miscarriage, are high risk, or need medical intervention to maintain the pregnancy.

I think you can get one that early on your own but your doctor may not code it as maternity (yet) and insurance may not cover it.

Archived