IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates

Jenirishdancer

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are the Duggars so anti-college when even the Bates (who are heavily affiliated with ATI, Gil is on the board of diractors after all) let their children go to colleges? I mean sure, those aren't real ones, but still, better than nothing.

I don't think its fair to say they aren't "real" colleges. Most people in this country go to open admissions schools. Period. The top tier schools are just that--the top. Not having accreditation can be more about religion than about academics. I think we should be GLAD they get to do any education outside the home. I went to a Big 10 School. I had instructors who were crap and instructors who were world famous. There were students who could barely read and students who could have gotten a Phd at 15. Online programs are not all a walk in the park. Many of them DO really require students to do actual work. I don't mean to pick on the poster quoted above, I just think looking down on the schools the Bates family choose for college is ridiculous. Give Gil and Kelly credit for letting their kids OUT of the house to work and got to school. Maybe it will help other like-minded families make the decision to let their kids do likewise.

I'm assuming the comments about not being a "real" college are directed toward the unaccredited programs. For someone like Erin, I'm not sure accreditation really matters, since she went to school for ministry music. But if you were going to an unaccredited school for, say, a Biology degree so you could get a research job in academia or a private company...then you'd be up shit creek with an unaccredited diploma. It'd be like you hadn't gone to school at all; nobody would accept your degree.

Michael is going to an accredited community college, though, from what we've gathered. I have no idea what for, but I think Tennessee offers free tuition for a few years of community college (not sure the details of how it works) so they probably get a great price for it.

Since I haven't seen it, what was the reason for all of Erin's miscarriage (at least the reason she was given)?

She has a clotting issue. Two actually. One is related to folic acid so they're putting her on that. The other is something like API or RPI or something. It's definitely three letters ending in I because it stands for inhibitor. Anyhow, they're putting her on an aspirin regimen for it. Seems like a pretty simple fix. Most doctors will recommend women start taking folic acid before TTC anyway.

UPtv just posted a new Bates youtube video

Astounding how much more personality you get from the Bates compared to Duggars. They actually joke like a normal family (Tori called her dad 'evil' and I wonder if the Duggars would have allowed that even jokingly). One question was "Which Bates makes up there own language?" and Kelly and Gil said they couldn't say it on camera. I'm guessing it was some kind of inappropriate inside joke?

They also joked about Michael being too old to have 19 kids because "She's already like 25!"

Also it's been a week and the latest episode of Bringing Up Bates still hasn't been posted. Grrr. How are the rest of y'all watching it? Wish someone would post it online already!

I don't think its fair to say they aren't "real" colleges. Most people in this country go to open admissions schools. Period. The top tier schools are just that--the top. Not having accreditation can be more about religion than about academics. I think we should be GLAD they get to do any education outside the home. I went to a Big 10 School. I had instructors who were crap and instructors who were world famous. There were students who could barely read and students who could have gotten a Phd at 15. Online programs are not all a walk in the park. Many of them DO really require students to do actual work. I don't mean to pick on the poster quoted above, I just think looking down on the schools the Bates family choose for college is ridiculous. Give Gil and Kelly credit for letting their kids OUT of the house to work and got to school. Maybe it will help other like-minded families make the decision to let their kids do likewise.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that they let their kids to go to college.

About my comment that those aren't real colleges: for me, colleges, who don't base their teachings on scientific facts and don't follow the rules of scientific research aren't "real". I know that not everyone agrees with my opinion, but that is how I determine (among other facts) if I think a college is reputable.

quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html

A good article about pseudo-science (which about all of this bible colleges practise) vs real science.

UPtv just posted a new Bates youtube video

Astounding how much more personality you get from the Bates compared to Duggars. They actually joke like a normal family (Tori called her dad 'evil' and I wonder if the Duggars would have allowed that even jokingly). One question was "Which Bates makes up there own language?" and Kelly and Gil said they couldn't say it on camera. I'm guessing it was some kind of inappropriate inside joke?

They also joked about Michael being too old to have 19 kids because "She's already like 25!"

Also it's been a week and the latest episode of Bringing Up Bates still hasn't been posted. Grrr. How are the rest of y'all watching it? Wish someone would post it online already!

I felt like there was more personality in that 3 min clip than in 3 hours of Duggars viewing.

She has a clotting issue. Two actually. One is related to folic acid so they're putting her on that. The other is something like API or RPI or something. It's definitely three letters ending in I because it stands for inhibitor. Anyhow, they're putting her on an aspirin regimen for it. Seems like a pretty simple fix. Most doctors will recommend women start taking folic acid before TTC anyway.

INteresting.

And weird that she would already be taking prenatals anyway....I did way prior to trying, since we knew were going to start...builds it up in your system.

I think Michael goes to a community college, which I would count as a real college. I think the difference between the Duggars and the Bates is TLC money and filming. If the Bates had been the first to get a reality tv show I think they would be just like the Duggars and we would see Duggar kids going to community colleges and getting jobs.

I know that people like to think that Gil and Kelly are not like Jim Bob and Michelle, but I think it just comes down to money. It is not financially feasible for a mega-family who relies on a grifting father for income to keep all the adult children at home not working.

I think Michael goes to a community college, which I would count as a real college. I think the difference between the Duggars and the Bates is TLC money and filming. If the Bates had been the first to get a reality tv show I think they would be just like the Duggars and we would see Duggar kids going to community colleges and getting jobs.

I know that people like to think that Gil and Kelly are not like Jim Bob and Michelle, but I think it just comes down to money. It is not financially feasible for a mega-family who relies on a grifting father for income to keep all the adult children at home not working.

I also would count community college as a real college (as long as they teach science and not pseudo-science), no doubt about that. I was talking about Crown college, which Tori visits (according to the Bates HP).

This show actually looks interesting.

I've never been able to make it through an episode of 19KAC without at least one moment where I sigh with exasperation and ask if it's over yet.

I know that the Bateses are just as abhorrent as the Duggars, but they're more interesting while doing it.

And Michael goes to a real community college? Interesting, I didn't know that. I thought that they only let their kids go to those heavily indoctrinated IFB colleges, like Crown college? (which, I have to stress, is still better than nothing)

That would be huge if they let their daughter attend a real, science-based college!

This is only speculation, but I suspect she is going for an Early Childhood degree. My parents are friends with an ATI family where there daughter did that(I'm not sure she got the whole degree but she took a lot of classes) and works at a Christian church daycare. Her parents always said that she could use the degree when she had her own children because it was still assumed that she would stop working the second she had kids.

JB is a grifter too, but not to the extent that Gil is. YOu can see it in the early specials, especially when they're building their compound. Most construction companies do not take on a project with non employees as crew (especially teenagers). Most professional construction companies will not teach the homeowner to do their job.

I think JB is more controlling of his adult children than Gil is. I don't think JB would have let Jinger (closest girl in age to Alyssa) move to FL upon marriage (hence why Jessa and Ben are not living in his hometown) even if he was the son of a congressman. Would JB have let Josh marry Anna if they had met at Sonic?

I think Gil and JB have different personalities. JB is much more competitive and has an ego big enough for 19. Because of his ego, I don't think JB wants his kids to be more successful than he is.

This is only speculation, but I suspect she is going for an Early Childhood degree. My parents are friends with an ATI family where there daughter did that(I'm not sure she got the whole degree but she took a lot of classes) and works at a Christian church daycare. Her parents always said that she could use the degree when she had her own children because it was still assumed that she would stop working the second she had kids.

I think so, too. I looked at the page of the CC near them and that is the only degree I could see Michael getting. Since we know she has been a nanny for a long time, I'm sure that's it.

For those having trouble finding the show online, if you have any sort of digital cable (even a pretty basic package) from a major provider, it's probably on demand. I have xfinity and it's on demand for me, even though I don't have the UP channel.

I would have to agree about the Bateses' show being much more interesting. When I watch 19kac I am commonly wanting to throw things at the TV, am rolling my eyes, and am making comments about how obnoxious they all are. That doesn't happen with the Bateses' show. They are like a real family. They laugh and they joke around and I love it. I really want to forgot about their association with ATI/IBLP and Gothard because they are so goddamn likable. Ugh.

Gil and Kelly are definitely less controlling. As someone else said, they never would have let Josh (or any of the boys) date court and then marry a girl he met at Sonic. Never in a million years. I also agree that they never would have let their daughters marry a man who was going to move them out of state. JB has Bin under his thumb and that's never going to end. He's basically their 20th child. Derick is a bit more difficult to control, hence why they made sure he had a nice job near by and gave him the mansion. They made sure to guilt him good and plenty so he doesn't try to leave any time soon.

I see a lot of similarities in Tori and Jinger, which is both charming and sad. Tori isn't afraid to joke around with her dad and her siblings. She isn't afraid to say "either cook it yourself or shut up and eat" to her family. She clearly doesn't want anywhere near 19 children herself and it's okay for her to make that known. She has that same spark that I use to see Jinger; it's still there if you look hard enough. But Jinger doesn't have the same freedoms that Tori has. She could never tell the boys to either make their own meals or shut up. She'd have a hand slapped across her face so hard she'd wake up three days later still in the prayer closet. I really hope there is a Duggar Bates courtship, for the sole reason that I think it would be amazingly helpful for the Duggar girls. But, alas, that will never happen. The Bates boys would want to stay in Tennessee and JB would never allow that. And I can't see a Duggar boy being able to handle a Bates girl. I suspect Gil knows that and that's part of why it has never happened.

JB is a grifter too, but not to the extent that Gil is. YOu can see it in the early specials, especially when they're building their compound. Most construction companies do not take on a project with non employees as crew (especially teenagers). Most professional construction companies will not teach the homeowner to do their job.

I think JB is more controlling of his adult children than Gil is. I don't think JB would have let Jinger (closest girl in age to Alyssa) move to FL upon marriage (hence why Jessa and Ben are not living in his hometown) even if he was the son of a congressman. Would JB have let Josh marry Anna if they had met at Sonic?

I think Gil and JB have different personalities. JB is much more competitive and has an ego big enough for 19. Because of his ego, I don't think JB wants his kids to be more successful than he is.

I agree that they have different personalities. I think Gil is just entirely too lazy to be competitive. :lol: And really, he put the bar so low that it would be hard for his kids to not be more successful than he is. At this point all they will have to do is not grift their way through life and they will do better than he did.

I think that without the show Jim Bob would have allowed his children to move away. I think that at this point their whole lives revolve around making sure everything they do works for the show and having a kid move far away wouldn't work for it.

I actually do think JB would let one of the boys marry a woman he met somewhere else, just because it will be expected that she will be brought into the fold and properly indoctrinated. I don't think they would allow a daughter to do that, but I doubt the Bates would either.

I agree that they have different personalities. I think Gil is just entirely too lazy to be competitive. :lol: And really, he put the bar so low that it would be hard for his kids to not be more successful than he is. At this point all they will have to do is not grift their way through life and they will do better than he did.

I think that without the show Jim Bob would have allowed his children to move away. I think that at this point their whole lives revolve around making sure everything they do works for the show and having a kid move far away wouldn't work for it.

I actually do think JB would let one of the boys marry a woman he met somewhere else, just because it will be expected that she will be brought into the fold and properly indoctrinated. I don't think they would allow a daughter to do that, but I doubt the Bates would either.

I don't know about that. Whitney has definitely made Zach not as crazy. She still wears the skirts and dresses only, with the whole "nothing happens before marriage thing", but I don't think Sarah would have said "lets have the babies watch pooh bear" and gotten Zach to agree. I love Whitney because she is so damn adorable, but I think she's also really great for Zach because she's proving that they don't have to be as crazy strict in order to be happy. I mean she had an actual job before meeting him.

I really don't see having kids watch Winnie the Pooh as a huge deal. I imagine that Josh's children have watched their fair share of Nick Jr. I expect that all the kids(even the Duggar kids) will have much more relaxed rules than they grew up with, even if they mostly stay within the "hedge of protection".

I do think that with either family if a daughter wanted to date a non-approved guy the parents would do whatever they could to privately stop it, but they would put on a public happy face if it became clear that if they didn't, the daughter would make them look bad. I think both parents are all about maintaining their image(and the Gil and Kelly's image seems to be "wholesome, happy family, that isn't like the Duggars") and will do anything to protect it.

I don't think watching cartoons is that big of a deal either, except that the parents have made such a big deal about not having tv in their households. It's still a little thing, yes, but I think it's just the beginning of larger things. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking

The fact that people are commenting about the Bates being so much more likable than the Duggars is a prime example of the dangers of cults. The Bates are considered wonderful because they seem personable and interact well with one another. That must mean their beliefs aren't as bad as others. People seem to forget that they hold the same beliefs as the Duggars and similar beliefs to the Maxwells. No one would consider the Maxwells likable. The Bates are one of the reasons why it can be so easy to become involved in cults. They see this family that is just so damn likable that there is no way they can be bad.

The fact that people are commenting about the Bates being so much more likable than the Duggars is a prime example of the dangers of cults. The Bates are considered wonderful because they seem personable and interact well with one another. That must mean their beliefs aren't as bad as others. People seem to forget that they hold the same beliefs as the Duggars and similar beliefs to the Maxwells. No one would consider the Maxwells likable. The Bates are one of the reasons why it can be so easy to become involved in cults. They see this family that is just so damn likable that there is no way they can be bad.

To be fair, a lot of people (here, at least) recognize and note that the Bates are just as dangerous as the Duggars before mentioning that they are also more likable.

I felt like there was more personality in that 3 min clip than in 3 hours of Duggars viewing.

I liked how starting at 1:00, when asking her parents which kids were most likely to have 19 of their own, Tori said she was waiting to get married--meaning waiting to get married so that you have fewer kids is a known tactic. And when Gil said he thought all of the kids would have 19, she said, "NOOOOO" and laughed. Without being rebuked.

To be fair, a lot of people (here, at least) recognize and note that the Bates are just as dangerous as the Duggars before mentioning that they are also more likable.

Very true. I should have added that while most of here know what's behind that glossy exterior, most of the general public does not. They simply think that this a wonderful, fun loving, compassionate, personal family. So "how bad could their beliefs be? Surely no one that nice can have such awful beliefs."

Very true. I should have added that while most of here know what's behind that glossy exterior, most of the general public does not. They simply think that this a wonderful, fun loving, compassionate, personal family. So "how bad could their beliefs be? Surely no one that nice can have such awful beliefs."

I definitely agree with this!

Archived