IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates

Jenirishdancer

Chalk art is a HUGE Gothard thing. It seemed like everyone did chalk art. I don't know what Gil drew, but just hearing "chalk art" gives me flashbacks to sitting through these things.

I will be surprised if UP shows the true nature of Gil and Kelly's beliefs. It would turn off viewers, so they will probably portray themselves as typical conservative Christians who just happen to have a lot of kids.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Bateses better study up on boating laws in TN. An appropriate PDF for every person must be worn, or within reach. Kids 12 and under must be wearing one at all times. Not sure if there were any kids that young aside from the little toddler boy who had one. But with a current like that, I'd have been making a lot of those kids wear one.

We've been stopped by Indiana DNR officers a couple of times and been required to show our PDFs (I'm usually sitting on mine to give my booty some cushion). Here, they can confiscate your boat at the very least if you aren't following the law.

I'm not even going to get started on the stupidity of canoeing in jeans and denim skirts.

I used to be a certified life guard. Since it was an indoor pool and not very crowded, we were allowed to wear actual clothes while on duty, within reason. One thing we were absolutely not allowed to wear? Jeans. Unlike other fabrics, denim absorbs and holds onto water so much that the added weight is incredible. We practiced swimming in clothes but we didn't even practice in denim for those reasons.

Chalk art is a HUGE Gothard thing. It seemed like everyone did chalk art. I don't know what Gil drew, but just hearing "chalk art" gives me flashbacks to sitting through these things.

:think: this seams so...odd to me. :doh:

Le sigh, I don’t miss having cable often. hope a link is up soon.

:think: this seams so...odd to me. :doh:

Le sigh, I don’t miss having cable often. hope a link is up soon.

If you scroll to the bottom you can see a picture of Bill doing chalk art. I tried to find a video but I can't.

billgothard.com/about/lifechapters/4

If you scroll to the bottom you can see a picture of Bill doing chalk art. I tried to find a video but I can't.

billgothard.com/about/lifechapters/4

I had no idea! Actually, taken on its own, there was nothing overtly religious about what Gil drew. It was pretty much just a picture of nature - a mountain, trees, a river. It actually gave me flashbacks of watching Bob Ross paint while I was home sick from school...oh, all the happy little trees! :)

At the end of his calk art did he do something with the lights and you can see Jesus, and eagle or a cross? Because during the Basic Seminar Gothard does one that ends like that. It is just mountains, trees and a river and then the light changes and you can see one of those things.

At the end of his calk art did he do something with the lights and you can see Jesus, and eagle or a cross? Because during the Basic Seminar Gothard does one that ends like that. It is just mountains, trees and a river and then the light changes and you can see one of those things.

It was an eagle. He flipped on a blacklight and there it was. So inspiring.

Well if anyone wants to learn how to do chalk art just like Gil and Bill here are the classes.

ati.iblp.org/ati/students/opportunities/chalkart/

Cost:

Phase One DVD: $225

Phase One Live: $325

Phase Two: $325

I'm sure the Gil probably got it for free or at a discount because of his position in the cult.

I really wish I could find a video of Bill's chalk talk to see how similar it is to Gil's. The first time I saw chalk art was at a Basic Seminar, and it was amazing.

I read this as cawk art. Or cock art, if you prefer. Which, come to think of it, I would prefer!

:twisted:

Yep, it was an eagle that appeared in the sky at the end...taken without his talk, I got more of a patriotic vibe from the drawing. Still, had no idea this was a huge thing for them - and that all the drawings are the same! Ruins the creativity a bit...well, a lot, since it's basically draw-by-numbers. The point is, chalk art is pretty much ruined for me now.

I read this as cawk art. Or cock art, if you prefer. Which, come to think of it, I would prefer!

:twisted:

Bill or Gil cock art. Nope. :ew:

This reminds me of Hitler being a painter. It was widely held opinion of my art school that perhaps, if Hitler had gotten into art school when he applied (he was denied, was told he had no talent), then maybe, just maybe he wouldn’t have done what he did.

I see creating art so paradoxical to their beliefs and rules. They are not aloud to dance, even the littles are encouraged not to bounce and wiggle i.e. move their bodies in a Nike way, but they can draw? No books, no tv, no movies, no music with a beat... yet you can make your own pictures?

I’m rambling now. I just can’t wrap my head around this.

My parents were once encouraged to send me to learn how to chalk talk. When it was pointed out that I can barely draw stick people so perhaps this wasn't the course for me they were told artistic ability was completely unnecessary.

There are chalk artists out there who are actually talented, but most of the ATI trained ones seemed to do the exact same pictures. Mountains, some trees, clouds, a river and then Jesus/eagle/cross appearing in the sky.

My parents were once encouraged to send me to learn how to chalk talk. When it was pointed out that I can barely draw stick people so perhaps this wasn't the course for me they were told artistic ability was completely unnecessary.

There are chalk artists out there who are actually talented, but most of the ATI trained ones seemed to do the exact same pictures. Mountains, some trees, clouds, a river and then Jesus/eagle/cross appearing in the sky.

Are only men aloud to do it, or can women also participate? Is it only used in tandem with scripture or can you just make pretty picture to hang in your home, or gasp, because you enjoy it? Please tell me more :P

Anyone could take the class. It was always used to help teach people about God because every single thing you do is supposed to lead people towards Christ. I'm guessing the artistic people would use what they learned to create their own pictures and the less artistic ones would stick to drawing what they were taught to draw. I never actually took the class because it was expensive and I really hate drawing. I ended up with a healthy cooking course that actually was very informative and useful. They don't offer it anymore, which it too bad. Of all the ATI/IBLP courses it was one of the best.

Anyone could take the class. It was always used to help teach people about God because every single thing you do is supposed to lead people towards Christ. I'm guessing the artistic people would use what they learned to create their own pictures and the less artistic ones would stick to drawing what they were taught to draw. I never actually took the class because it was expensive and I really hate drawing. I ended up with a healthy cooking course that actually was very informative and useful. They don't offer it anymore, which it too bad. Of all the ATI/IBLP courses it was one of the best.

Did the cooking course emphasize home-ground wheat and bread? Was a connection made between food and sin? Was there any mention of the faux-kosher eating practices (e.g., no pork) that the Duggars follow?

Wow. Chalk art. Who'd have known? :shock: Why that more than other form of art? I understand that they ban dancing because you know... desires and stuff. But why is chalk art more encouraged then painting for example?

All I'm hearing is "I know they are fundies, but...". There is no but. There is no excuse. They are not likeable. They are hateful dangerous people who are keeping sweet for for a scripted, heavily edited reality show. GET A FUCKING CLUE! The leg humping going on here boggles my mind.

Well, if anyone needs anymore proof they are nutso gothard lovers, I think the chalk art should suffice, huh?

All I'm hearing is "I know they are fundies, but...". There is no but. There is no excuse. They are not likeable. They are hateful dangerous people who are keeping sweet for for a scripted, heavily edited reality show. GET A FUCKING CLUE! The leg humping going on here boggles my mind.

I don't see people as that black and white. I'm sorry, I just don't. Obviously it's highly edited and people on tv aren't exactly who they are in real life. I sure as hell wouldn't be. I'm lying in bed in my messy house wasting time on forums and farmville and eating chips. If I was on a reality show I'd make a Duggar dentist visit look fascinating. When my kids were at home I had meltdowns that make the exorcist look good. If I was on a " reality" show I would have tried to sound as Valium laced as Michelle.

It's not leg-humping to think that people are a whole bunch of good and bad traits and beliefs.

For example I used to homeschool some of my kids. I would never, ever, ever pick a fundamentalist history or science curriculum. But at the same time the Practical Math workbooks put out by some Christian Conservative group were fantastic.

They are obviously trying to sell themselves as a wholesome, happy family and hiding their more extremist views. You can hate their view on homosexuality, but still chat about their taste in bedroom colors or baby names. Just like people do in real life with friends/relatives/co-workers who you disagree with.

I don't see people as that black and white. I'm sorry, I just don't. Obviously it's highly edited and people on tv aren't exactly who they are in real life. I sure as hell wouldn't be. I'm lying in bed in my messy house wasting time on forums and farmville and eating chips. If I was on a reality show I'd make a Duggar dentist visit look fascinating. When my kids were at home I had meltdowns that make the exorcist look good. If I was on a " reality" show I would have tried to sound as Valium laced as Michelle.

It's not leg-humping to think that people are a whole bunch of good and bad traits and beliefs.

Q

For example I aused to homeschool some of my kids. I would never, ever, ever pick a fundamentalist history or science curriculum. But at the same time the Practical Math workbooks put out by some Christian Conservative group were fantastic.

They are obviously trying to sell themselves as a wholesome, happy family and hiding their more extremist views. You can hate their view on homosexuality, but still chat about their taste in bedroom colors or baby names. Just like people do in real life with friends/relatives/co-workers who you disagree with.

Yeah but that is not what is happening. People are talking about how adorable everyone is and this they are all just the cutest and blah blah blah. The Bates are not cute. None of them. Their kids were married off into families just like their own, with the same core beliefs and values. These people are dangerous, political and intolerant, and people are buying the facade. That's why posters like rosy daisy and formergothardite are so adamant. These are cult members putting on a nice show for the public, every single one of them, married kids included. It blows my mind how many people are falling for it- it feel like it is a fan site all of a sudden, what with all the bragging about writing to Kelly and getting a letter back :roll: :roll:

Eta: I do agree with some of your post, but discussing Kelly's weird kitchen, Erin's hair or Alyssa's new earrings is not what a lot of people are doing. I truly think they are a physically stunning family, for example, and I found Erin much more likable than I expected. I defended Alyssa's bitch face.

But this is like some massive love fest where humpers jump you when you point out the obvious. These threads have actually made me more adamant in how I feel about the danger posed by people like the Bates. Fortunately, their influence is limited but I think theses threads illustrate how effective a pretty veneer can be.

Yeah but that is not what is happening. People are talking about how adorable everyone is and this they are all just the cutest and blah blah blah. The Bates are not cute. None of them. Their kids were married off into families just like their own, with the same core beliefs and values. These people are dangerous, political and intolerant, and people are buying the facade.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to act like them being fundie immediately means every other thing they do is null and void. First off, the fundies who DO leave don't seem to just wake up one day and do a 180. It takes a long time to reconcile your beliefs when you have that kind of indoctrination, and it's not right to assume we know what is going on in their heads or their private lives just because they were raised in a fundie household and are still living within that community.

Erin has never done anything to make me NOT like her. She hasn't even had the chance. She's a product of her family and has barely been on her own a year. As far as I've seen, she is a really lovely woman who's done the best she can given her lot in life. If she's 40 years old and still a Kelly 2.0 - maybe then I will feel differently. For now, all I can bring myself to think is that I wish her well and hope she's happy, and that it makes me feel good that she seems to have found a husband who really loves her, because not every fundie is so lucky to get it right on their first (only) try.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to act like them being fundie immediately means every other thing they do is null and void. First off, the fundies who DO leave don't seem to just wake up one day and do a 180. It takes a long time to reconcile your beliefs when you have that kind of indoctrination, and it's not right to assume we know what is going on in their heads or their private lives just because they were raised in a fundie household and are still living within that community.

Erin has never done anything to make me NOT like her. She hasn't even had the chance. She's a product of her family and has barely been on her own a year. As far as I've seen, she is a really lovely woman who's done the best she can given her lot in life. If she's 40 years old and still a Kelly 2.0 - maybe then I will feel differently. For now, all I can bring myself to think is that I wish her well and hope she's happy, and that it makes me feel good that she seems to have found a husband who really loves her, because not every fundie is so lucky to get it right on their first (only) try.

Yes, I know it's ridiculous how much you love them. But you are the same person criticizing the Browns for being such fundies when their kids are allowed to make their own choices, go to real colleges and live in dorms. None of the bates would ever be allowed that. Alyssa and Erin are well on their way to Kelly 2.0 status considering that the first year of both their marriages has been 100% percent defined by pregnancies.

Sorry, but they gothardites with awful, hateful beliefs and I'll cheer them on after they choose to leave. Three Keller kids left and left early. So do plenty of others. They were products of their upbringing too. They just didn't buy it.

Archived