IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates

Jenirishdancer

Hello all! I am new here and I am a first time poster so, hopefully, I am doing this right and posting a "worthy" topic :). I can't help but think that Jim Bob and Michelle, and perhaps some of the kids, are furious (secretly) that the Bates are getting another show. I know it's all wonderful fellowship with them (haha) but the Duggars, I think, love having the most attention and love being the most important! Does anyone else think this?

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they'll be fine with it because it's on a minor Christian network, not a large cable network (hell, we even have TLC in the UK now! They don't show the Duggars, though D; ).

The Duggars are far more popular than the Bates, so I'm not sure why they would be furious. Plus, they already has United Bates of America that flopped. If anything the Bates will learn to keep political views out of the show, but then it's on a Christian network.

I have a feeling that the Bates having their own show gets under JB's skin a little. *Snicker* I bet the rest of the Duggars don't care though.

Why did United Bates of America flop? Was it just boring? Too similar to 19KaC?

I have a feeling that the Bates having their own show gets under JB's skin a little. *Snicker* I bet the rest of the Duggars don't care though.

Why did United Bates of America flop? Was it just boring? Too similar to 19KaC?

I've watched the first two episodes of UBoA and I must say it was boring as hell.

I've watched the first two episodes of UBoA and I must say it was boring as hell.

Let's face it, Boob and J'Chelle have that certain something, a "je ne c'est quoi" so to speak that makes you want to keep watching. I think it's Boob total idiocy combined with J'Chelle baby-speak. Gil & Kelly can't compete!

• 1 month later...

I do not know if this is true for everyone, but I was surfing through my On Demand list of TLC shows on Comcast and the first episode of Bringing Up Bates is already uploaded.

I actually really have enjoyed it so far.

They seem much more unchoreagraphed than the Duggars.

My heart is absolutely breaking for Erin though. I had only one pregnancy and it was healthy. Her face whenever she talks about children or her sisters and sister in laws baby looks on the verge of tears.

I watched it twice because I personally actually like the Bates over the Duggars.

Anywho, it started off with a quick intro to the family and life in a big family.

The camera styles were more similiar to home video with less stable or reality tv type set up scenes.

It is more fly on the wall esque and the personalites of the kids come out quite a bit in the talking heads and seem more on pointe and not rehearsed.

Whitney is really adorable and glows with her pregnancy. They had Bradley's baby shower and Alyssa announced her pregnancy. I guess she had bought a shirt that read Bun in the Oven and wore it to her family's house the day after the shower to announce. She was already twelve weeks along and had ended up telling her in laws before her own family.

She had posted a photo of it to instagram twelve weeks ago but was hugging John so the words on the shirt were hidden from view.

Everyone was really excited but it tore Erin up inside. I love her and Chad together. You can tell he just adores her.

I googled the show to see if it was going to air here in Australia sometime; didn't find that out, but saw that in all references to the show they are referred to as Gil and Kelly Jo Bates. Is that a new thing, the Kelly Jo name? I've never seen her called that before - though I am far from a Bates expert.

No, I think she has used the Jo before.

I have it on demand too, so I guess I am going to watch it on my iPad in bed now. Thanks, guys. I was trying to go to bed :wink-kitty:

ETA: And the credits list her as Kelly Jo.

Spoiler alert

ETA:

They sent 135 invitations to Whitney's shower. That is just as tacky as anything the Duggars have done.

I do not know if this is true for everyone, but I was surfing through my On Demand list of TLC shows on Comcast and the first episode of Bringing Up Bates is already uploaded.

I actually really have enjoyed it so far.

They seem much more unchoreagraphed than the Duggars.

I do not know why I said TLC. Definitely under the UP network for anyone interested.

Erin & Chad are definitely a love match. No way that was faked for the camera. Damn, she is lucky and so is he. And she really is devastated by the miscarriage. He is devastated by her pain.
The little Bates are actually really hilarious. Kelly claims they make a lot of money with the tree business. Okay. The family has a huge variety of accents. Erin and Michael have almost none to my ear, while some of the others, especially the boys, are thick TN country. Very interesting.

My landlord decided to get rid of anything but the most basic of cable inside the house (he has the full cable set up with a DVR and on demand and all that in the garage, but wont allow it in the house cause "it's too expensive"), and it's not available for viewing online. =(

Watching the first episode now. A few thoughts:

1. Erin and Chad have impressed me so much. Erin handled Whitney's baby shower and Alyssa's announcement with the maturity and genuine kindness that a lot of women with more "world experience" wouldn't be able to do. Good for her. She clearly isn't as immature as she may appear at first glance. Chad seems like a truly loving husband, and he seems to adore his wife. Also, he is pretty damn hot - especially considering some of his fundie competition.

2. Most of the Bates children are gorgeous, but Zach is looking a lot older than he is. And that's not really a compliment.

3. Parents seem to actually know their children, unlike the Duggars. Kelly's reaction when she heard about Trace was more emotion than Michelle has ever shown.

4. They served actual food at the baby shower. That would blow the Duggars' mind.

5. So Alyssa is due at the same time as Jill? That blows my mind.

I don't think we get that channel here in Canada, or at least I can't find it. :cry: Everyone's updates are much appreciated.

Hmmm... Seeing as how it's unlikely to air here and we don't even have UP, I may have to resort to more nefarious ways to see if I can find it... :shifty-kitty:

If anyone finds a link to the show anywhere, please post it. This channel is like the only one that's not on UVerse. :(

:text-+1: I'd also love to watch it!

Can't watch it in my location, so links are appreciated.

I only saw snippets on youtube so far, but what I've seen so far I liked a lot. Especially Erin and Chad. I'm impressed how open and bubbly Erin comes across - I never noticed that before. I can see why Chad loves her. Chad seems a perfect match for her - kind of calm, quiet and relaxed. I can totally see how they bring out the best in each other.

God I sound like a fan, but I really really like those two together.

Here's a link to see if UP is available:

http://up.viewerlink.tv/

DirecTV customers can find on channel 338. Once you find out if your provider carries UP, find out if it's part of your programming package.

Archived