IGNORED

Where are Jessa and Ben living?

anjulibai

Well, it's all relative.

Most places, a typical 4 bedroom suburban house on an acre of land is on a very large plot. We're on a 1/2 acre and it's too damn much, especially this time of year.

Not suggesting they'd ever be allowed to put 20 houses on their property, but I can see Boob pulling enough strings or making enough changes to get 5 or 6 houses built there.

That was Daddy Arndt's dream when he bought his large plot of land in southern Illinois. However, his manboys have shown no inclination to find wives.

Well the person who I was responding to thought it was miles and miles of land when it's actually a drop in the bucket to a square mile. They are also in a rural area where people don't live on top of each other. I live in a small town and have about an acre and it's nothing to brag about. People in my area, which is similar to the area they are in, own thousands of acres.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a quarry across the street from them. The part that makes me wonder is that semi garage at the front of the property. I find that to be odd.

Yes, that. I was guessing that's Bin's "guest house." Ya think?

Yes, that. I was guessing that's Bin's "guest house." Ya think?

I'm pretty sure that one building is Ben's bin. I know they showed them driving up to it and that's the only building on the property that you'd have to drive to. I wonder if that house over by the semi garage is the real guest house that the important people get to use?

Do they live inside the city limits? What I mean is, my address says one town, but in reality I am about 6 miles outside the city limits. I can do plenty of things without the city's 'permission'. We have an acre and we could build at least 2 more houses and still have a tiny yard.

So what I'm saying is, if they want to build 20 more houses on their 20 acres, if they live outside the city limits, I doubt anyone can stop them.

Do they live inside the city limits? What I mean is, my address says one town, but in reality I am about 6 miles outside the city limits. I can do plenty of things without the city's 'permission'. We have an acre and we could build at least 2 more houses and still have a tiny yard.

So what I'm saying is, if they want to build 20 more houses on their 20 acres, if they live outside the city limits, I doubt anyone can stop them.

The county can. You may not have as many rules and ordinances outside city limits but you would still need certain approvals, depending on that county's laws. I also live outside city limits and know full well that we couldn't pop up another house on our acreage without going through the proper channels.

This is a hard one. They have to have a place to stay because Josh and Jill did. People are already in arms about how theh treat Jana so they're already under a microscope for that. What I see happening is benessa gets a small house. I mean that's what she said she "wanted". Or Michael can build them a house. However if we want ratings what can happen is they move into the Stoney Brook house. Think about the girls all had one big girls room. Two married couples from the same family bonding and all the hijinks that happen. Lots of people will watch because it will be so weird. They can live there until the family finishes building their houses on compound property. What I would like to happen but more than likely won't is Jill and Derrick get the boot because he has a real job and they film the issues of moving out while pregnant or with new baby.

I am just imagining Ben and Jessa moving into the Stoneybrook house with Jill and Derrick and then within the next year or two Jana and Jinger marry and move in too. It would be so weird and freaky but I don't think the Duggars would even realize that.

I can't believe they don't have their house really fenced in. They have a fence on part of the front of the house and a gate, but you can easily see how to get around that. I would just be worried about random people coming onto the property if my family was on TV.

I am just imagining Ben and Jessa moving into the Stoneybrook house with Jill and Derrick and then within the next year or two Jana and Jinger marry and move in too. It would be so weird and freaky but I don't think the Duggars would even realize that.

I can't believe they don't have their house really fenced in. They have a fence on part of the front of the house and a gate, but you can easily see how to get around that. I would just be worried about random people coming onto the property if my family was on TV.

Although 20 acres is not a big property when you live in the country, it would still be very expensive to fence all that in, and DimBob is a tightwad. Also fences in the country kind of imply that you don't trust your neighbors...and makes you look "hoity toity."

That being said, I can totally see him having his boys build their own split rail fence, at least, so pets and kids can still roam relatively easily in and out. That's what I would do if it were my property.

I'm still going with the theory that they are trying to get Ben in on the hate-train in DC. Maybe they will go and live with Smugs and Anna for a while? Jessa can be a nanny for Anna.

I'm still going with the theory that they are trying to get Ben in on the hate-train in DC. Maybe they will go and live with Smugs and Anna for a while? Jessa can be a nanny for Anna.

I could see that. They are plenty outspoken enough for that. Maybe not the nanny part, but definitely can see them being a spokeswhore couple. Interesting.

Except that Ben is a terrible speaker-- far worse than Josh. Not only is Bin incapable of expressing himself his voice is adenoidal-- he always sounds like he is full of snot.

I'm sure there is another small home or property that we don't know about yet. Jessa will have a cottage-like home a la Erin Paine. I agree with whoever said that the reason they may be taking 3 weeks is because the Duggar construction crew (JD and Joseph....) are finishing up said cottage.

Except that Ben is a terrible speaker-- far worse than Josh. Not only is Bin incapable of expressing himself his voice is adenoidal-- he always sounds like he is full of snot.

While I do agree with him being a terrible speaker, many of the events they attend dont really count on them to be as such. The organizations they 'represent' (and I use that term VERY loosely) get their jollies by parading these 'famous' (again, VERY loosely) people. I cant imagine how many people who had never heard of the Family WhatsIt Counsel until Josh started 'working' (you guessed it--LOOSELY) for them. Sure, they speak, but that's not why they are 'hired.'

I don't have the time to look it up but, in one of the early specials JB said they picked that plot on which to build the TTH in the hopes that someday more of their kids would build houses on the property.

We had 17 acres for about 12 years in Central Texas and thought that may be where we would end up in our senior years but we got two sets of neighbors that lived like pigs on their property and suddenly 17 acres just was not big enough for privacy and having really sloppy neighbors. I have seen the overview of the Duggar property and there really isn't many places to have a home without butting up to the road or all those buildings. JBob built that house in a place on the property that is not conducive to having more than maybe two more houses there. I would not be willing to build there and I can see why Jinger wants city living, it is kind gross looking. I hope Jinger puts on her Nikes and runs!

We had 17 acres for about 12 years in Central Texas and thought that may be where we would end up in our senior years but we got two sets of neighbors that lived like pigs on their property and suddenly 17 acres just was not big enough for privacy and having really sloppy neighbors. I have seen the overview of the Duggar property and there really isn't many places to have a home without butting up to the road or all those buildings. JBob built that house in a place on the property that is not conducive to have more than maybe two more houses there. I would not be willing to build there and I can see why Jinger wants city living, it is kind gross looking. I hope Jinger puts on her Nikes and runs!

With her track pants. :)

I would not be willing to build there and I can see why Jinger wants city living, it is kind gross looking.

I have to agree. I love homes in rural areas, but often what we see it looks as if they built that house in the middle of a industrial park. Yes, there are trees, grass and a few hilly areas, it just never looks "pretty" to me.

I'm sure JB will find a way to build more homes on that compound. They probably would want them as close together as possible anyway.

Perhaps a multi-family building with communal kitchens, laundry, and daycare center? I wish I was 100% kidding...but I'm not. Would their zoning laws permit such a thing?

The county can. You may not have as many rules and ordinances outside city limits but you would still need certain approvals, depending on that county's laws. I also live outside city limits and know full well that we couldn't pop up another house on our acreage without going through the proper channels.

They will have to subdivide the property. Each dwelling will be added to the county taxes. If the build enough houses the county may be able to declare it a subdivision of the city and the taxes will increase.

"Duggarville" - once the TLC fame winds down, they can open up their property as a Fundie theme park of sorts! :mrgreen:

They will have to subdivide the property. Each dwelling will be added to the county taxes. If the build enough houses the county may be able to declare it a subdivision of the city and the taxes will increase.

They may not have to subdivide the property. They live in the county not the city and the rules are much more relaxed in the country. Their taxes would go up because property value would change. They could also fight being a subdivision because that would require rezoning.

They may not have to subdivide the property. They live in the county not the city and the rules are much more relaxed in the country. Their taxes would go up because property value would change. They could also fight being a subdivision because that would require rezoning.

I imagine it varies greatly. Neighboring counties in the same state can have vastly different laws.

We have a good friend who lives in our county on about 5 acres, most of which is in the front, so his house sits way back from the road. He had to obtain several neighbors' approval to put up a pole barn behind his house. Same story for the people who bought property next door to him solely to build a pole barn for vehicle storage and workspace. Some people we know in the county to our north found that unbelievable because they don't have to jump through the same hoops.

Though I guess I must admit that Boob likely knows what has to be done to accomplish building more homes on his property. He's savvy enough and worked in real estate, and does so much wheeling and dealing with properties.

Archived