IGNORED

Where are Jessa and Ben living?

anjulibai

Houses in America do seem huge. I have a thing for floorplans, and mine always seem decent sized, but when I add them up they are smaller than the houses on here that people say are small. I live in a 3 bedroom house with 4 kids (2 boys, 2 girls), and it is less than 1000 square feet-cant remember where I put the floor plan I drew. The housing estate I live on seems to have about four basic floorplans of 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom, and an extra one or two for flats, flipped over sometimes to make it different....there are a few four bedroom ones too, and a few streets with houses that don't fit this mould, but overall there is not much variety and none as big as any American house. By my standards, the house Jill lives in is a mansion.

I think by most people's standards Jill's house is a mansion. Isn't it? Hmmmm...I assumed it was but now I'm wondering if other people think so too.

I'm in the U.S. And my experience with housing sizes is similar to yours. As an adult, the homes I've lived in ( almost all apartments or town homes) were mostly in the 700 -1,100 sq ft. range. With 2 or 3 bedrooms. In the 1,100 sq foot town home we threw a bedroom in the garage, turning it into a 4 bedroom. We had anywhere from three to fourteen people in the household over the years. Average about 7 people.

Floorplan seems to have soooo much to do with how livable a space is. We moved from a 3 bedroom 2 bath 900 sq ft. 2 story attached townhouse apartment to a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 1,100 sq ft. 2 story attached townhouse apartment WITH a garage -- but the larger home felt much, much smaller and had far less storage - just due to layout.

Like Coco's mom in a previous post, I Loved drawing floor plans, and figuring out how to make small spaces work. As a child we moved into what I still think was a HUGE and ideal house- it was a 1,600 sq ft. Single story, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, separate family and living rooms. Little entry way so you didn't walk right in on the kitchen ( all my adult houses opened on the kitchen -- how stupid is that! Especially if you aren't exactly a neat freak ) . Long hallways lined with closets. So much storage. I just can't imagine what people would do with double or triple the space for an average sized family.

There are certainly neighborhoods full of newer Mc Mansions in my area ( although I think most are closer to 2,000 than 4,000 sq. ft. ) and other large homes - but in general, most people, in my circle at least, tend to live in smaller homes.

Ben and Jessa, if they were an average non-celebrity 18 - 25 year old couple working in average starting-out type jobs in my town would either be sharing a home with roommates, living with one or the other sets of parents, or MAYBE, renting a run-down cabin in the country, granny unit behind someone's house, RV on someone's property, converted garage or a tiny studio or 1 bedroom apartment in a really bad area. They would be paying rent ranging from maybe a low of $700 with roommates to $1,200 if they somehow found a little apartment that would take them.

The main problem would be finding something, especially if they just had Ben's income at some lowish wage job.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know on the show they very much make it look like Jim Bob and Michelle are 100% on board with Ben, but I have some doubts still. Ben has basically none of the qualities JB+M tell the girls to look for in a man besides being a rabid Christian. I don't mean that to slight Ben, but he's young, still in school, and has no real job or skills yet. He doesn't really appear to have the work ethic or business savvy that allowed Jim Bob to be successful and manage a large family's expenses.

Even Jim Bob is not so stupid to think that they will be relying on TLC paychecks forever, I'm sure. Where will Ben and Jessa be 5-10 years down the road? Please, don't let Ben turn that political science degree into public office...though if he ran in the Duggars' district, Duggars would probably make up half the population of Tontitown by then. It could be John David vs. Ben in their state house representative race LOL.

Combined with knowing that Ben basically stalked Jessa at church - which is not a very Duggar-like way to begin a courtship, and honestly still kind of creeps me out because there are probably TONS of men who stalk those girls - and the length of their courtship vs. Jill's, it does kind of make me wonder if Jim Bob and Michelle really had doubts about Ben being too young, not settled in a career etc. and that Jessa was too stubborn to heed their warnings. I mean, Jill's "story" with Derick, even if some of it is fake, is the perfect Duggar courtship example - Jill had her list of qualities in a man and made sure he met them, and while they obviously seemed attracted to teach other, the focus of their communication was actually about their goals in life, values they shared etc. Jessa and Ben's story is basically "I thought Jessa was pretty so I tried to meet her." If I was Jessa's parent, well...I'd maybe want to keep Ben on a short leash too.

I know on the show they very much make it look like Jim Bob and Michelle are 100% on board with Ben, but I have some doubts still. Ben has basically none of the qualities JB+M tell the girls to look for in a man besides being a rabid Christian. I don't mean that to slight Ben, but he's young, still in school, and has no real job or skills yet. He doesn't really appear to have the work ethic or business savvy that allowed Jim Bob to be successful and manage a large family's expenses.

Even Jim Bob is not so stupid to think that they will be relying on TLC paychecks forever, I'm sure. Where will Ben and Jessa be 5-10 years down the road? Please, don't let Ben turn that political science degree into public office...though if he ran in the Duggars' district, Duggars would probably make up half the population of Tontitown by then. It could be John David vs. Ben in their state house representative race LOL.

Combined with knowing that Ben basically stalked Jessa at church - which is not a very Duggar-like way to begin a courtship, and honestly still kind of creeps me out because there are probably TONS of men who stalk those girls - and the length of their courtship vs. Jill's, it does kind of make me wonder if Jim Bob and Michelle really had doubts about Ben being too young, not settled in a career etc. and that Jessa was too stubborn to heed their warnings. I mean, Jill's "story" with Derick, even if some of it is fake, is the perfect Duggar courtship example - Jill had her list of qualities in a man and made sure he met them, and while they obviously seemed attracted to teach other, the focus of their communication was actually about their goals in life, values they shared etc. Jessa and Ben's story is basically "I thought Jessa was pretty so I tried to meet her." If I was Jessa's parent, well...I'd maybe want to keep Ben on a short leash too.

I still want to know more about this business of Ben going to try to meet Jessa at church.

The Duggars home church. One episode showed them meeting in some building. So, where is this? How did Ben know where to go?

It's not like the Duggars go every weekend to services at Cross Church, where Ben could easily walk in and visit.

The Duggars are holed up in their super secret special home church - HOW DID BEN GET IN?

What is up with all this lying and covering up? It really does seem like Jill knew Derick for longer than the show said. And there's never been any further explanation of Ben running off to Jessa's church. WHAT CHURCH? :pull-hair:

I still want to know more about this business of Ben going to try to meet Jessa at church.

The Duggars are holed up in their super secret special home church - HOW DID BEN GET IN?

What is up with all this lying and covering up?

I'm very curious, too. Maybe the Duggars were speaking at a local church and that's how he found them? I really struggle to think of any potential scenario where this doesn't seem creepy.

The lack of story about how they met is weird in itself. I think with Jill they fudged some small details and the timeline, but with Jessa...I don't know. I think they definitely fudged more than that. They probably met at a party or something and Boob deemed that an unsuitable "testimony." :roll:

I'm very curious, too. Maybe the Duggars were speaking at a local church and that's how he found them? I really struggle to think of any potential scenario where this doesn't seem creepy.

The lack of story about how they met is weird in itself. I think with Jill they fudged some small details and the timeline, but with Jessa...I don't know. I think they definitely fudged more than that. They probably met at a party or something and Boob deemed that an unsuitable "testimony." :roll:

What I've always wondered about this whole thing: How did Ben think he'd have any chance with Jessa who's over 2 years his senior?

AFAIK they made it sound like Ben came after Jessa. They didn't meet and liked each other and only later found out how old the other is. Ben knew Jessa was older before he went to meet her. And at 18 two or three years is a pretty big age difference. I don't have a problem with people of different ages dating/marrying, but college girls usually aren't eager to date high school boys, right?

In their case the difference in life experience was probably negligible, but still ... Ben thought Jessa would go for a teenage boy.

What I've always wondered about this whole thing: How did Ben think he'd have any chance with Jessa who's over 2 years his senior?

AFAIK they made it sound like Ben came after Jessa. They didn't meet and liked each other and only later found out how old the other is. Ben knew Jessa was older before he went to meet her. And at 18 two or three years is a pretty big age difference. I don't have a problem with people of different ages dating/marrying, but college girls usually aren't eager to date high school boys, right?

In their case the difference in life experience was probably negligible, but still ... Ben thought Jessa would go for a teenage boy.

Didn't he write or call JB and ask permission to come visit their church? IIRC it's by invitation only, they make sure everyone there is trustworthy. Gives me a headache just thinking about how they have to be suspicious of everyone in person until proven okay, because they've made their lives so public to everyone. :angry-banghead:

That's cool. I am totally opposite of what's on trend lately. I hate "open concept" and I love quirky floorplans with lots of long hallways and doors. Those are missing in today's designs. (for reasons your mom pointed out I am sure) I do like most "design" these days, but it makes me wonder when quartz countertops are going to be "dated" (I think they already are and have been replaced by something similar?)

Also, all this "the master bath MUST have double sinks" everytime I see this on shows with new builds, I think - just put two bathrooms in the master! The couple always disagrees on what should be in them and they are spending nearly a million bucks anyway.

I just hope we find out where Jessa and Bin are living soon so we can snark away. I will laugh if they end up living in the workshop bedroom even temporarily. Am I the only one that thinks that bedroom opens up temptation for "sin in the camp"? :cracking-up:

Those long hallways actually are kind of fun, they have that going for them at least. The house we lived in with the crazy long hallway had smooth radiant heated floors so we could pull the kids on blanket sleds down the hall. :lol: (my grandma had the same type of hallway, but with linoleum, and my cousins and i have so many awesome memories playing there). Plus the family photo display possibilities - ha! Too bad halls take up so much space.

Ben and Jessa, if they were an average non-celebrity 18 - 25 year old couple working in average starting-out type jobs in my town would either be sharing a home with roommates, living with one or the other sets of parents, or MAYBE, renting a run-down cabin in the country, granny unit behind someone's house, RV on someone's property, converted garage or a tiny studio or 1 bedroom apartment in a really bad area. They would be paying rent ranging from maybe a low of $700 with roommates to $1,200 if they somehow found a little apartment that would take them.

The main problem would be finding something, especially if they just had Ben's income at some lowish wage job.

I agree that with Ben's earning ability they'd be living with the parents or in a hovel, but I think your cost projection may be high for that area. Based on what I've seen, I think the Duggars are in a pretty low-cost area similar to mine. A house like Grandma Duggar's that J&A lived in could easily be in the $500-$700 range in my neck of the woods, depending on its location. Finding a 900-1100 sq ft apartment in that range is totally doable here too, in a medium nice (not the nicest but definitely not bad or dangerous) area.

Just about all places expect first and last month's rent, plus a damage deposit, which I would imagine would be difficult. I really wonder how much Boob pays Ben...

I just saw the episode where Ben and Jessa speak about their likely first home, and in addition to Jessa calling it a small cottage, she also mentions it being one story and easy to keep clean...I'm thinking they are going to be living in GM's old house.

I had missed the "single story" reference in previous shows.

they are editing stuff like crazy today

they added Josie this morning saying duggar dirty jobs saying ben and jessa are getting married

and that was not in that episode the first time

they just added ben talking more during thorn crown setup for the engagement

I taped the other episodes to see

Didn't he write or call JB and ask permission to come visit their church? IIRC it's by invitation only, they make sure everyone there is trustworthy. Gives me a headache just thinking about how they have to be suspicious of everyone in person until proven okay, because they've made their lives so public to everyone. :angry-banghead:

Whatever story we were fed, (and since we can't quickly recall the details tells you something) I don't buy it. I have a feeling JB and the parents somehow met and contrived the entire thing, the same thing with Derrick. I think JB had much more if not all the influence in getting these "boys" interested in his precious flowers.

I agree that with Ben's earning ability they'd be living with the parents or in a hovel, but I think your cost projection may be high for that area. Based on what I've seen, I think the Duggars are in a pretty low-cost area similar to mine. A house like Grandma Duggar's that J&A lived in could easily be in the $500-$700 range in my neck of the woods, depending on its location. Finding a 900-1100 sq ft apartment in that range is totally doable here too, in a medium nice (not the nicest but definitely not bad or dangerous) area.

Just about all places expect first and last month's rent, plus a damage deposit, which I would imagine would be difficult. I really wonder how much Boob pays Ben...

Oh yeah, sorry, definitely meant just in my area what they would be paying. It's so cheap where they live that I don't think it's surprising that early marriage isn't an issue the way it often is in more expensive areas. Not that people don't have children early here, too. But I think it would be much, much easier to have some level of stable middle class family life a good decade earlier if you could rent a house for so little money. Ben and Jessa don't have to worry regardless, because of money from the show.but I would imagine even a regular couple with similar skills and experience could manage.

Whatever Benny Boy is getting paid to do for JB is likely coming out of Jessa's bank account, I bet. JB said he sets up joint accounts for each of his kids, and since Jessa is over 18 I imagine she gets her own cut for the show that goes into that account. In the end, Jessa is the breadwinner, haha! I also agree that they have moved into Grandma's house. But I bet it hasn't been advertised because they know there will be backlash. They could just say that it was the couple's choice, but we all know what "it is your/their choice" really means in the Duggar family....

It would be cool beyond belief if Ben and Jessa moved near his parents and Ben went back to work for his father. Ben could even re-enroll in whatever college he was going to and Jessa could too! She would need remedial classes for math and language, undoubtedly, not an aspersion on her intelligence level but on her parent's education method. There are classes she can take that wouldn't require math or reading to be on level, and it would be a great taste of possibilities for her.

Well, she is probably pregnant already so that's the pipe part of this dream but it would be great to see them out from under JB.

Whatever Benny Boy is getting paid to do for JB is likely coming out of Jessa's bank account, I bet. JB said he sets up joint accounts for each of his kids, and since Jessa is over 18 I imagine she gets her own cut for the show that goes into that account. In the end, Jessa is the breadwinner, haha! I also agree that they have moved into Grandma's house. But I bet it hasn't been advertised because they know there will be backlash. They could just say that it was the couple's choice, but we all know what "it is your/their choice" really means in the Duggar family....

Could you source this, please.

I have never heard JB say that he has the set the kids up with individual accounts.

Thanks

If this is true, I wonder how much he deposits in each account? 1 cent per task? Jana's account must be quite lucrative.

Jessa has the hots for Ben even if she doesn't really like him/respect him. She's hot for him. She threatened to tell all so she got to marry him to save face. The entire point of the Quiverfull movement is to TAKE DOMINION over the US Government and state government. Hence unmarried daughters voting. An ARMY for God. Ben likely IS looking to do something toward this end. I've seen dumber people become lawyers. He could certainly become a lobbyist, especially if he starts local and builds a career to the state house and follows on the coat tails with some future senator or governor. I'm sure by age 30 he'll be smoozing just fine. We don't know what his grades are either. Not all good students seem like they are good students.

Could you source this, please.

I have never heard JB say that he has the set the kids up with individual accounts.

Thanks

If this is true, I wonder how much he deposits in each account? 1 cent per task? Jana's account must be quite lucrative.

I seem to recall this being brought up before as a way to 'teach' the children how to 'manage' money. Perhaps during an early episode referencing their homeschooling, I believe? I cannot recall exactly, I just remember something about it at some point, I apologize.

Not sure if they do actual bank accounts or just Mommy & Daddy's pocket 'bank' but this is what I found:

Source: tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/young-children-bank-accounts-duggars.htm

And so now we let them get the joy of touching the money and seeing it and understanding it, but then we always encourage them by saying, "Now, if you really want it to be safe and know that you're not going to lose it, you can keep it in the bank." And what we have is a little ledger book; and we'll write whatever they put in the bank; we write it on the column where they've entered a certain amount. Anytime they take anything out of their account we write that down.

So if they go to the store and they want to spend $3 of their money on something like a big giant jar of pickles, then when we get home we take out the receipt and they get to write it on their little column, and then we help them subtract it from the last amount.

Not sure if they do actual bank accounts or just Mommy & Daddy's pocket 'bank' but this is what I found:

Source: tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/young-children-bank-accounts-duggars.htm

Thanks.

I'd really like to know if the Duggars all have individual bank accounts and if the adults get individual paychecks from the show.

Anyone know this?

I think it's been discussed before, whether the adult children need to sign their own contracts to be on and/or paid for the show. Id be curious to hear some legal truths regarding this, too.

Also, I *personally* think JB and Michelle would be foolish NOT to make bank accounts for each child. A high-interest savings account would be interesting for that many children depending on how much he puts in them. And starting from birth (like we did with our daughter), you have ample opportunity for it to grow interest-wise, especially if said children didn't have free access to it until a certain age. (My daughter's account is set up where both my husband and I have to sign off on any withdrawals until she reaches a certain age, for example.)

Thanks.

I'd really like to know if the Duggars all have individual bank accounts and if the adults get individual paychecks from the show.

Anyone know this?

We'd all like to know this. As an accountant, I personally doubt they get individual checks. I've posted before they are probably set up as a family limited partnership with JB as the general partner.

Money the children have unfettered access to? ahahahahah

We'd all like to know this. As an accountant, I personally doubt they get individual checks. I've posted before they are probably set up as a family limited partnership with JB as the general partner.

Money the children have unfettered access to? ahahahahah

24X2 yos, nearing 21 yo, 19 and 18 year old working CHILDREN, whose daddy gets their paychecks.

What a crock O'crap.

A quick google of this "family limited partnership" sounds just like what JB would get into. Very interesting concept. I learned something new today. lol

I still suspect TLC has put some safeguards in place for the "kids" (both adult children and minors). They've had enough issues with their reality families that I think they have covered their asses when it comes to the kids.

I think FJ sometimes gives JB a little too much credit with the control of the show. He's a control freak but he still has to kowtow to the production and TLC. He's not on the production team. (They have a massive team too. Full crew list is here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307083/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast)

Figure 8 Productions learned a LOT from all the shit that Jon & Kate went through - and money was a big part of that... they're gonna make sure they don't have the same issues. I'm sure the Duggar kids aren't getting their fair due, but I don't think it's as dire as many people on here think.

I've said it before and I'll repeat: Jim Boob can't stand Jessa. He's all but called her a bitch on camera more than once. Unfortunately for Jim Boob, at least one of his daughters has a backbone and sufficient brain matter to not only get herself out of the house, she and Bin may end up with the spin-off because at the very least, Jessa's antics will be more interesting than Jill's attempts to set the land-speed record for getting pregnant again or Anna's adventures in an old RV. Bin can puff his chest out and wear anti-abortion t-shirts all he wants, but she's the breadwinner right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

If it emerges that Bin and Jessa are indeed living in Grandma's teeny little house, it makes Jim Boob a) look even cheaper and b) makes the viewers start asking questions as to why Jill got the big, beautiful house and Jessa got almost nothing from her parents. I don't think the "we'll elope" comment was a joke, either. They let Jessa marry because they were afraid of what would happen if they didn't. All that high-profile press coverage is a double-edged sword: Jim Boob's banking on that happy family image to keep the TLC dollars rolling in, and the tabloid press is rubbing their hands together at any real or imagined family turmoil to report.

Jim Boob is a bit over a barrel in my opinion. There is no appearance of a courtship on the horizon. He can BS all he wants about Tebow and the "courtship applications" for JD all he'd like, but there aren't many women who'd be interested in dealing with JD on a daily basis. He certainly isn't interesting or telegenic enough to carry the show.

Why would Tebow and his family attach themselves to this trainwreck? Again, the Duggars need him more than his family needs them and their kooky beliefs.

Hopefully, Jessa got some good legal advice on how to recover any money she made from 19KAC and make sure the checks for the People coverage, TLC's wedding broadcast, their filmed honeymoon, etcetera, are in her name and deposited into HER account.

So, I'm guessing Bin and Jessa are in Grandma's house, unless the Seewalds managed to talk them into moving closer to the University of Arkansas so Bin can finish his degree on TLC's dime. It'll be interesting to see how the leghumpers react to Jessa's "new life".

Archived