IGNORED

Where are Jessa and Ben living?

anjulibai

I think Jill would have been more comfortable in Josh and Anna's old house. For all the talk of a small cottage, I do think Jessa would be happy living in Josh's old home.

Has anyone brought up the possibility that Jessa only made those comments about wanting something small because she had already been made aware that she would be living in J&A's old house and was "working on her contentment". I sooooo wouldn't put it past JB to say something like "we need to take away any possibility for speculation that it is unfair to put you and Ben in the tiny house when Jill got the mansion so let's spin it into you WANT a smaller home and this was all YOUR idea to have that house!"

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine that by now, because of how small the house they spent years living in, the sound of a couple having sex in the next room is totally normal to them.

:brain-bleach:

Jessa may be trying to relax a bit by wishing for a small house. She's been raising someone else's children for as long as she can remember and that in itself is exhausting. The bigger the house is, she still needs to clean it by herself; so maybe she wants to have a size she can manage?

Isn't Josh and Anna's old house something like 1000 sq ft? Is that seriously a small house by US standards for a couple Benessa's age? DF and I are in our mid-twenties, we both have postgraduate degrees and full-time, salaried jobs, and our 600 sq ft flat is pretty average in our peer group.

I mean, I get that it's a lot smaller than Jill's McMansion, but objectively? I'd be thrilled to have a place that size.

:brain-bleach:

I'm still surprised if they even really know what sex is before the 'talk' pre-wedding, a la Josh and JB. They're so preoccupied with purity they might eliminate all discussion of sex, aside from DONT DO IT :evil-eye:

At least I hope for their sake, in that tiny house...

I think people typically want a home that they own to be a bit bigger than an apartment, probably just because you're stuck with that house for years vs. an apartment where you can size up pretty easily with no strings attached.

I've always rented with my SO and we're in about 900 square feet, 2 bed, and it's more than enough. If we had kids, I'd probably go for 1200-1400 minimum ideally, assuming I could afford it. Josh and Anna would have definitely outgrown that house by now, but it'd be fine for a couple with a baby or two.

I don't think the Duggars want to remind us how hard it can be to financially support a huge family by showing us a family of 5(+?) crammed in a teeny tiny house. I don't know if it'll be Josh's old house, but where ever they are living, I think everyone is right that they had it picked out long ago so Jessa can pretend like this is "what she's always wanted." I can't even imagine where Ben is going to end up working, and I don't think Jim Bob would want to end up paying their mortgage so they don't lose a house 5-10 years down the road!

Isn't Josh and Anna's old house something like 1000 sq ft? Is that seriously a small house by US standards for a couple Benessa's age? DF and I are in our mid-twenties, we both have postgraduate degrees and full-time, salaried jobs, and our 600 sq ft flat is pretty average in our peer group.

I mean, I get that it's a lot smaller than Jill's McMansion, but objectively? I'd be thrilled to have a place that size.

1000 sq ft house is not a bad size for more normal sized families. But in the 80's and 90's, people really became obsessed with giant homes, and that was the trend. People would sell their soul to the devil just to get into a big ass house. Many people would then be "house poor" and could barely afford to furnish it.

WIth the recession, the trend to large houses started to die out, and now actually there is a whole grass roots movement toward smaller homes. IN fact there are numerous websites, TV shows, and such that promote the tiny home lifestyle.

It has some similarities to the Fundies in that they like to live off the grid, and often prefer to live independently of the government, etc. However, many of them are strong environmentalists who are looking to reduce their carbon footprint, and generally they don't support large families. The people living in these tiny homes (often less than 300 sq ft) will usually only have one or two children, largely because of space limits but also their belief that larger families are harmful to the environment.

I think Jessa and Ben have had a place to live picked out for them for awhile and I think it will be smaller than Jill's. It would be nice if perhaps they moved closer to Ben's family, but it seems like Ben has been pretty willing to shut out his family and become an honorary Duggar. I mean what would that poor boy do if Papa Jim Bob didn't show him how to work outside, and be a real man?

1000 sq ft house is not a bad size for more normal sized families. But in the 80's and 90's, people really became obsessed with giant homes, and that was the trend. People would sell their soul to the devil just to get into a big ass house. Many people would then be "house poor" and could barely afford to furnish it.

I think Jessa and Ben have had a place to live picked out for them for awhile and I think it will be smaller than Jill's. It would be nice if perhaps they moved closer to Ben's family, but it seems like Ben has been pretty willing to shut out his family and become an honorary Duggar. I mean what would that poor boy do if Papa Jim Bob didn't show him how to work outside, and be a real man?

we don't have 1000 sq ft houses here - we have 1000 sq ft apartments that start at 600k, now houses that are 4000 sq are 4 million easy.....

I agree Jessa and Ben are probably living in a new place that is smaller than jill's, maybe it's a little bigger than Erin Bates, or it could be the apartment Ben was living in. But I just bet they don't care because I don't see Jessa and Ben doing what Jill and Derick doing and having the rest of the kids over endlessly. Maybe they are getting alone time.

But then how do we know that since they never post.

I think once the show is over Ben and Jessa will hopefully move closer to his parents...maybe they can have a normal life.

I find the trend for large homes to be baffling at best. I have friends that are in homes that were constructed in the 1990s and early 2000s, and it never ceases to amaze me how much space is wasted in some of their designs. I've seen gigantic Cathedral ceilings in two-story homes even though the rest of the ceiling space could have been used for an additional bedroom. I've also seen very few to no closets in such huge houses. One house I saw recently had the main foyer, kitchen, and living room all connected as a single huge room, but there was only one tiny, 3-foot long bathroom with nothing but a toilet and a single sink in the adjoining area.

I just don't get it, why not make floor plans that better optimize use of space? I live in an older house that was built in the early seventies. The hallways are narrow and the rooms aren't as big, but every single bit of space is utilized. Some of the rooms have two closets. There are no cathedral ceilings, but the second floor has multiple bedrooms. I've even got a couple of storage attics in the floor plan.

I'd rather have smaller rooms with storage areas where I can put my stuff compared to a house with huge rooms where there isn't anywhere to store things, where I'd have to spend a lot of money on storage cabinets.

I find the trend for large homes to be baffling at best. I have friends that are in homes that were constructed in the 1990s and early 2000s, and it never ceases to amaze me how much space is wasted in some of their designs. I've seen gigantic Cathedral ceilings in two-story homes even though the rest of the ceiling space could have been used for an additional bedroom. I've also seen very few to no closets in such huge houses. One house I saw recently had the main foyer, kitchen, and living room all connected as a single huge room, but there was only one tiny, 3-foot long bathroom with nothing but a toilet and a single sink in the adjoining area.

I just don't get it, why not make floor plans that better optimize use of space? I live in an older house that was built in the early seventies. The hallways are narrow and the rooms aren't as big, but every single bit of space is utilized. Some of the rooms have two closets. There are no cathedral ceilings, but the second floor has multiple bedrooms. I've even got a couple of storage attics in the floor plan.

I'd rather have smaller rooms with storage areas where I can put my stuff compared to a house with huge rooms where there isn't anywhere to store things, where I'd have to spend a lot of money on storage cabinets.

It is absolutely fascinating to see the space-saving designs people have made.

[bBvideo 560,340:1cd9cfnt]

[/bBvideo]

My mom loves to draw floor plans, and my siblings and i grew up hearing her point out all the problems with huge homes. :D One thing she hated was long hallways. My hubby and i lived in a ranch house that was (i think) designed by someone who hadn't put much thought into how it would function. The kitchen/living room was one huge room with two-story ceiling, but the stove opened INTO THE LIVING ROOM area. And it had a ridiculously long hallway: the entire length of the house apart from the living room/kitchen. The hallway was so long that the airflow in the house created suction that would open the doors of the rooms that weren't completely closed if the front door was opened. Some friends of mine thought our house was haunted because of that. :lol: Whoever made the floor plan also designed an upper loft that was too low to stand up in, and i'm not tall. The windows were all very high and rectangular, none came down below chest level. Just so frustrating to live there.

Jessa is smart to want to start out in a smaller home. Even though she's used to caring for children, it's different when those children are solely your responsibility. She strikes me as someone who is going to want to be out doing a lot of fun things with her kids, not stuck trying to keep a huge house picture-perfect.

I think people typically want a home that they own to be a bit bigger than an apartment, probably just because you're stuck with that house for years vs. an apartment where you can size up pretty easily with no strings attached.

I've always rented with my SO and we're in about 900 square feet, 2 bed, and it's more than enough. If we had kids, I'd probably go for 1200-1400 minimum ideally, assuming I could afford it. Josh and Anna would have definitely outgrown that house by now, but it'd be fine for a couple with a baby or two.

I don't think the Duggars want to remind us how hard it can be to financially support a huge family by showing us a family of 5(+?) crammed in a teeny tiny house. I don't know if it'll be Josh's old house, but where ever they are living, I think everyone is right that they had it picked out long ago so Jessa can pretend like this is "what she's always wanted." I can't even imagine where Ben is going to end up working, and I don't think Jim Bob would want to end up paying their mortgage so they don't lose a house 5-10 years down the road!

We actually own our flat. Then again, the average size of a new build three-bed family home is 900 sq ft here, so it sounds like you guys just have big homes.

ETA: We'd like a bit more space, to be honest. We've been considering getting a house in the not-too-distant future, and we look at the aforementioned 900 sq ft houses and think, "That would be perfect for the two of us." (We don't want kids, so the only future family expansion will be in the form of feline headships). I guess I'm just baffled by the general tone in this thread that Josh and Anna's old house is tiny, when it's the same size as a lot of houses that families of three and four live in here.

That's cool. I am totally opposite of what's on trend lately. I hate "open concept" and I love quirky floorplans with lots of long hallways and doors. Those are missing in today's designs. (for reasons your mom pointed out I am sure) I do like most "design" these days, but it makes me wonder when quartz countertops are going to be "dated" (I think they already are and have been replaced by something similar?)

Also, all this "the master bath MUST have double sinks" everytime I see this on shows with new builds, I think - just put two bathrooms in the master! The couple always disagrees on what should be in them and they are spending nearly a million bucks anyway.

I just hope we find out where Jessa and Bin are living soon so we can snark away. I will laugh if they end up living in the workshop bedroom even temporarily. Am I the only one that thinks that bedroom opens up temptation for "sin in the camp"? :cracking-up:

We actually own our flat. Then again, the average size of a new build three-bed family home is 900 sq ft here, so it sounds like you guys just have big homes.

ETA: We'd like a bit more space, to be honest. We've been considering getting a house in the not-too-distant future, and we look at the aforementioned 900 sq ft houses and think, "That would be perfect for the two of us." (We don't want kids, so the only future family expansion will be in the form of feline headships). I guess I'm just baffled by the general tone in this thread that Josh and Anna's old house is tiny, when it's the same size as a lot of houses that families of three and four live in here.

alba, I don't know where you live, but in the US houses are huge compared to European standards (and massive compared to most Asian houses).

I was surprised when I found out too. On TV US houses had always seemed large, but that was on TV ... apparently even the real houses are large and people just have a different idea of how big a house should be. 1000 sq feet are over 90 m2. To me that seems like plenty for a family of four.

Houseizem21-550x224.gif

Houses in America do seem huge. I have a thing for floorplans, and mine always seem decent sized, but when I add them up they are smaller than the houses on here that people say are small. I live in a 3 bedroom house with 4 kids (2 boys, 2 girls), and it is less than 1000 square feet-cant remember where I put the floor plan I drew. The housing estate I live on seems to have about four basic floorplans of 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom, and an extra one or two for flats, flipped over sometimes to make it different....there are a few four bedroom ones too, and a few streets with houses that don't fit this mould, but overall there is not much variety and none as big as any American house. By my standards, the house Jill lives in is a mansion.

alba, I don't know where you live, but in the US houses are huge compared to European standards (and massive compared to most Asian houses).

I was surprised when I found out too. On TV US houses had always seemed large, but that was on TV ... apparently even the real houses are large and people just have a different idea of how big a house should be. 1000 sq feet are over 90 m2. To me that seems like plenty for a family of four.

Houseizem21-550x224.gif

Thanks for the graphic; it's quite illuminating.

I'm in Scotland :P I actually grew up in Canada, where houses are bigger than here (for the amount we paid for our flat, we could have gotten a 1000+ sq ft, 3-bed detached house with a backyard in my hometown), but I suppose I've been here long enough now that small houses seem normal to me.

There's also the trend for numerous, palatial bathrooms in American homes. I went to an open house at one which had tiny bedrooms, each with their own bathroom that was 1/3 the size of the bedroom.

Mr. Four and I chose the floorplan for our home and customized it. It is huge.. over 3500 square feet, and a 1700sf basement excavation. We only had one child when we moved in... and only HOPED to have more. We had 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a sunroom extension, kitchen open to family room kind of set up, and an open two story foyer. I wanted to opt for the 5th bedroom and nix the foyer, but I lost that battle. I HATE that foyer. It's a heat sink, for one.. all the heat goes directly upstairs, and with doors closed, the hallway is HOT. All the cold sinks, so guess where the thermostat is? in the cold lower foyer. The other complaint? The dang foyer ECHOES. You can hear every conversation in the foyer in the last bedroom upstairs..

Since we've lived here for 22 years, we've improved the basement, adding a bedroom/rec room and bathroom... but as soon as the kids are gone, so are we. Let some other large family enjoy all this space, and give me my ranch house with a porch out front!

I live in a 26 square house (apologies for the metric measurement) as in house squares.

There are three of us, three bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, kitchen, dining and three lounge rooms.

It was built in 1935 and we have renovated it - we wanted to keep the charm because the ornate cornices and such were beautiful!

It suits us just fine, our driveway fits 7 cars and we have a front and back garden which can both be used. It's not big, but we renovated with a purpose so we could use every bit of space we had for practical applications.

I have always been confused by McMansions (huge 50 square homes) - someone has to clean it! It wont be me :P

I agree that as long as JB owns Ben, the leash will be very short. They will probably start out in the room above the shed or maybe in one of the tour busses. Possibly in a house nearby that JB owns. Someone else thought that maybe they will be forced to share the temporary McMansion that Jill and Derrick are in. How on earth would they be able to support living on their own unless they both work??

Living with Jill and Derick probably wouldn't be that bad an idea. At least the girls would have somebody to talk to during the day!

I think Jim Bob is going to do his best to keep all the newlyweds under his thumb/control as much as possible so they keep drinking the koolaid and don't stray far from the Duggar beliefs. I think he saw Derick as the most worrisome because Derick as an education (at a secular university no less), and has a job and makes his own money and isn't quitting it to work from home like a good Gothard cult member would do. So I think that's why he made Jill and Derick an offer of that enormous house rent-free. It was an offer too good for them to refuse, and I'm sure JB sees it as building up credit he can hold over them later "Look at all I've done for you" type thing.

With Ben and Jessa, he already has Ben under his thumb completely and Ben is young and naive and easy for JB to mold into whatever he wants...including what to think and how to live. So they don't get the big house as a bribe.

It'll be interesting to see how long he can continue to try to do this. Eventually he'll run out of houses and revenue, or one of the kids will marry someone who doesn't want to live in the Duggars pocket and let them orchestrate their lives.

The best thing any of these newly married couples could do is to move far far away from the Duggar homestead and JB and M's influence.

Well Jessa just tweeted that she was talking to some of her siblings, so I believe that she and Ben are back at the Duggar homestead. She's also posted some beautiful wedding pictures on her Twitter

I don't understand it either. I live in an area where people have giant houses, and I get so disappointed when I see these huge houses that have all these totally unused rooms and wasted space, and the house is busting at the edges of the lot. I much prefer a small house or apartment that uses all the space well, and is easy and cheap to clean and maintain. Big houses collect lots of dust and it costs so much money to heat and cool them.

We have a fairly average house, I think, at 1400-1500 sq feet, including a sunporch. The original structure was built in the 50's and then the previous owners added on later. Our bedrooms are really small, but we have a lot of living space. Our family room is huge (there's a small living room as well, which is our daughter's space) and since we love to entertain and host holidays, and spend a majority of our time there, it was just what we wanted.

I wouldn't want anything bigger unless I had lots and lots of kids, and the McMansion trend annoys me. You couldn't pay me to have a vaulted ceiling. We love that the original part of our home has 7 ft ceilings! Our previous home did too and it really saves you on utilities, though it takes getting used to. Some of us are too stupid to learn not to raise our arms into running ceiling fans.

I think she was getting at the fact the postal address might say Tontitown or Sprindale but they aren't within the city limits of either.

I am only on page three so I don't know if this has been addressed. Their postal address is Springdale, but their services come from Tonititown. If they call 911, Tonititown PD or FD comes out.

Now that I am all caught up, I always wanted a two story house. Maybe because we were poor when i was growing up and never stayed in one place very long and couldn't afford big nice houses. Anyway, i love two story houses and i hope someday to have enough money for one.

Archived