IGNORED

Joseph Maxwell is MARRIED!!!

anjulibai

I'm snarking, but my heart isn't really in it, despite the drama. Somewhere, there is a very young (I'd guess 21-22) woman who has just been pulled into a trap of a joyless existence. I can't imagine that divorce would ever be a possibility, she will be stuck forever in Maxhell, far from her family, and completely isolated from anyone who isn't in the collective. Befriending Mel is her only hope for some degree of normalcy. I don't think they look happy, nor unhappy. They just look blank, as they always do, following the lord into another season of life, only it's worse because they sucked someone else it.

Poor Elissa.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, if I were a betting person, I would bet that Elissa is not a native-English-speaker. If she's the same Elissa who commented on their blog (I think so, just because the name is unusual), her comments often read as a non-native-English-speaker. I can imagine that it would be harder to detect the craziness if everything were in another language.

Also, I'm not surprised at all that they kept it a secret, due to the whole Joseph and Elizabeth debacle.

In one of Steve's recent Seriously corners, he bitched about a member of the hotel staff having trouble understanding English. If Elissa is from Ecuador I wonder if she had to pass an English proficiency test before Joe courted her.

Melanie Maher and Anna Hamilton.

I'd love to find their birthdates somewhere. I know Melanie's birthday is in September and she's turning 39 this month, and that Anna was 24 when she got married. I try to keep track of these things for some fundies, cause I'm weird.

BTW, someone asked up thread who old Joseph is, and he's 25. John is 23, Anna is 22 next month, and Jesse turns 20 on the 19th of this month.

Very surprised that it was secret but not surprised because he was ready & waiting with his house. I do wonder why Sarah didn't post little hints of big news like the big bible challenge or a new moody book. Maybe they were really nervous it might not happen?

So these brides do all the wedding planning & work & the Maxwells just show up? Last week they were hiking so I doubt they had much to do with wedding prep. My husband didn't really care about much of the wedding details but he showed up to support me(and we lived 2500 miles away). I would imagine Steve would want to make sure the vows were correctly worded and there was the right modesty presented. Kind of hard to believe Steve gave all or most of the wedding planning out of his control.

No, this seems a departure because the Maxwells were almost over involved in wedding planning in the past. 2 years ago they were all very involved in decorating Joseph's house in beige colors they liked while not appearing to consult Liz's tastes. The Maxwell women were also frantically planning and making precious birdhouse centerpieces for the reception. Again, no mention that it was at Liz's request. Perhaps they have learned.

For Chris and NR Anna's wedding all three Maxwell girls were bridesmaids and only one of Anna's sisters. I don't remember any of Anna's family on the grooms side either. Steve was also omnipresent preaching at Christopher's wedding about DEATH!

It will be interesting to see if Sarah coughs up the details of Joseph and Elissa's wedding. And even more interesting if Steve isn't front and central during the ceremony.

I'd love to see a normal SBC wedding with an actual minister who graduated from seminary and a reasonable balance of family represented. The reception might even have some levity.

I'd love to find their birthdates somewhere. I know Melanie's birthday is in September and she's turning 39 this month, and that Anna was 24 when she got married. I try to keep track of these things for some fundies, cause I'm weird.

BTW, someone asked up thread who old Joseph is, and he's 25. John is 23, Anna is 22 next month, and Jesse turns 20 on the 19th of this month.

Melanie is September 1, 1975

Anna Marie is April 1986, I think it is the 19th

No, this seems a departure because the Maxwells were almost over involved in wedding planning in the past. 2 years ago they were all very involved in decorating Joseph's house in beige colors they liked while not appearing to consult Liz's tastes. The Maxwell women were also frantically planning and making precious birdhouse centerpieces for the reception. Again, no mention that it was at Liz's request. Perhaps they have learned.

For Chris and NR Anna's wedding all three Maxwell girls were bridesmaids and only one of Anna's sisters. I don't remember any of Anna's family on the grooms side either. Steve was also omnipresent preaching at Christopher's wedding about DEATH!

It will be interesting to see if Sarah coughs up the details of Joseph and Elissa's wedding. And even more interesting if Steve isn't front and central during the ceremony.

Doesn't Anna Marie only have one sister? Only one if her brothers was a groomsmen.

Joseph house isn't all beige. The kitchen was dark red, I think the living room was green . I believe Elizabeth did have input because he repainted the house after the engagement was called off.

Chris and NR-Anna's wedding party was actually small. NR-Anna only has one sister and she wasn't even the maid of honor. Sarah was, and NR-Anna's brothers were groomsmen. Nate and Mel's OTOH was large. Teri had to point out that all of them were siblings of the bride and groom.

Doesn't Anna Marie only have one sister? Only one if her brothers was a groomsmen.

Joseph house isn't all beige. The kitchen was dark red, I think the living room was green . I believe Elizabeth did have input because he repainted the house after the engagement was called off.

One sister (Sarah, who the Maxwells call Grace) and I think 2 brothers, whose names I don't remember. It's a small family for fundie standards.

Okay, if I were a betting person, I would bet that Elissa is not a native-English-speaker. If she's the same Elissa who commented on their blog (I think so, just because the name is unusual), her comments often read as a non-native-English-speaker. I can imagine that it would be harder to detect the craziness if everything were in another language.

Also, I'm not surprised at all that they kept it a secret, due to the whole Joseph and Elizabeth debacle.

Yes, i think so too. She seems South American. One of my close friends from our homeschool group growing up had a mom from South America, but i can't remember which country, and Elissa looks exactly like his mom did back then. :) She was a very sweet, loving mom. Joseph is lucky to have found her if she's anything like my friend's mom was.

post-10046-1445199939_thumb.jpg

post-10046-14451999390592_thumb.jpg

My memory isn't that good on the details, especially when the Maxwells scrub posts, but if Joseph did consult Elizabeth on the color choices and then painted beige over green and red -- why he pretty much whitewashed the situation!

Elissa's bright red bedding choices give me hope that he has painted yet again in a color other than beige.

Re. names:

Anna Hamilton was renamed Anna Marie by the Maxwells.

Sarah Hamilton was renamed Gracie by the Maxwells.

Perhaps Elissa's name is really Mary. :P

I agree. I'd qualify it by saying that I don't think Sarah will marry in Steve's lifetime. His standards for a prospective son-in-law seem too high. After that, the sky is the limit. Her brothers might find that telling Sarah what to do every minute of the day something of a burden with their own growing families. They might encourage her to find a nice widower or even a never-married perhaps (gasp) younger man to marry.

my hubby is 7 years younger than me. She just needs to find the right guy! He's out there. :romance-heartsfade:

Maybe not so much the actual set-up of the venue, but i'd bet they were involved in a lot of it. After all, MOTH :lol: It's probably been in the works for months and most details nailed down for ages.

I have to say I find that wedding photo of Joseph just yuk. His weird maxwell eyes and his smug grin are saying. Look I've got a woman I m touching my woman eeew

Now john no weird eyes no smug grin rebel. It will be so interesting to see his bride.....and see how independent hr goes once the wedding is thru

Noe we look to more maxwell men snuggling and holding hands and looking smug in photos

And it is weird..look at the hoopla over the other weddings...and then this. We didn't even get to be warmed up with a. A courtship is announced blog post. Come on sleuths someone must know something on the mystery bride!!!! :?

my hubby is 7 years younger than me. She just needs to find the right guy! He's out there. :romance-heartsfade:

Oh, yes and power to you both. The (gasp) was for what a radical concept a younger husband might seem to a Maxwell.:)

According to the Gospel of Steve all husbands must be 2.5 years older than the wife ...

I have to say I find that wedding photo of Joseph just yuk. His weird maxwell eyes and his smug grin are saying. Look I've got a woman I m touching my woman eeew

Now john no weird eyes no smug grin rebel. It will be so interesting to see his bride.....and see how independent hr goes once the wedding is thru

Noe we look to more maxwell men snuggling and holding hands and looking smug in photos

And it is weird..look at the hoopla over the other weddings...and then this. We didn't even get to be warmed up with a. A courtship is announced blog post. Come on sleuths someone must know something on the mystery bride!!!! :?

Yeah, there's something about Joseph's face. I'm not sure what, but he gives me the creeps. Steve's face does too. I can't say the same about the rest of the Maxwell men, but definitely those two.

Does anyone remember if Chris' first fiancée, Sarah, got renamed Maxwell style?

Please don't let the newlyweds go on the Fall tour!! What, are they going to share a bunk in the bus?

The Maxwell men are creepy. They have crazy eyes. Its mostly the men, the women are quite pretty, and the kids are adorable, but most of the men are creepy. Steve has serial killer eyes.

Does anyone remember if Chris' first fiancée, Sarah, got renamed Maxwell style?

Please don't let the newlyweds go on the Fall tour!! What, are they going to share a bunk in the bus?

I don't think they renamed her, but I also don't think she was around for particularly long.

I never understood why it seems to be FJ gospel that the Maxwell daughters will never marry. Sarah will never marry, for sure. I've always thought that Steve didn't allow her to marry, specifically, because he needed her at home to take care of him and Teri. Also because her Moody books appear to bring in a big chunk of their income AND because she is the only girl who can remember a "mainstream" childhood. I don't think Steve doubts Mary and Anna's piety like he does Sarah, because he knows that his dogma is all they've ever known.

The Maxwells only have three daughters. Not only do they have more sons then daughters, the sons are also older. Exempting Sarah, they have married off children in age order. If this continues, Anna won't be married until after Joseph, the 6th of 8. Mary is the youngest, she isn't even 18 yet! Sarah's time may be passed, but Mary's time hasn't even started yet, and I haven't seen any indication her and Anna won't be married.

Mary is 18.

Preventing Sarah from marrying to take care of Steve and Teri in their old age is unnecessary. Teri is married, yet is the main caregiver of her Mom (and Dad before he passed.) Steve and Teri have 3 married sons living less than a mile from the homestead. Chances are the next one to marry will purchase Gigi's house, then they will have 4. 3 or more married sons are more than enough to take care of Steve and Teri. They have several granddaughters who can have a day to clean S/T's house in their chorepack rotation.

Steve won't let the girls marry because he will loose control of them.

P.S. Joe should have shaved. The "beard" is much to casual for a wedding.

What's interesting is I am pretty sure he described Elizabeth as the love of his life. So under their concept of dating and love, he has given so much heart away to another woman

I wonder, though, if Elizabeth actually was the love of his life? :think:

There's something about the courtship model that has always struck me as having a kind of fill-in-the-blank mentality involved. Steve and Teri made a comment in one of their blog posts to the effect of "Spread your wings and fly, our son!" And then Elizabeth backed out, and suddenly Joseph was considered a failure to launch. He still stayed at home and never moved into the house he bought. I also seem to remember Joseph begging God to give him a wife in one of his posts.

Now he has Elissa, and she is moving into the house he bought...for someone else. They could actually be using monogrammed towels meant for Elizabeth since Elissa has the same initial.

I'm guessing it's not the actual woman that matters in this marriage - it's what she represents in the Stevehovah ministry.

According to the Gospel of Steve all husbands must be 2.5 years older than the wife ...

Oh dear. My husband is 11 years younger so I guess I am going to hell.

My first thought on reading this stunning news is when and how will Elissa clash with her father-in-law and will Joseph step in to protect her. I have no doubt at all that Steve will try to control his daughter in law just like he controls all of his other children and the question in my mind is Elissa strong enough to stand up to him? Will he make "suggestions" as to what she should cook or what she should wear or how many hours of Bible study are required per day? Will he pose her like a Maxwell child for blog photos? Will he require her to hike up mountains in a skirt? I truly, truly hope that she had some clue of what life in Maxhell will be like before she agreed to Joseph's proposal-- if not, the learning curve is going to be painful.

I wonder, though, if Elizabeth actually was the love of his life? :think:

There's something about the courtship model that has always struck me as having a kind of fill-in-the-blank mentality involved. Steve and Teri made a comment in one of their blog posts to the effect of "Spread your wings and fly, our son!" And then Elizabeth backed out, and suddenly Joseph was considered a failure to launch. He still stayed at home and never moved into the house he bought. I also seem to remember Joseph begging God to give him a wife in one of his posts.

Now he has Elissa, and she is moving into the house he bought...for someone else. They could actually be using monogrammed towels meant for Elizabeth since Elissa has the same initial.

I'm guessing it's not the actual woman that matters in this marriage - it's what she represents in the Stevehovah ministry.

How can anyone you have spent no time alone with be your best friend and love of your life?

Archived