IGNORED

Lourdes and Nolan marry - Lawsuit against DPIAT/R filed

love2scrap

Nancy Grace is covering this. Both attorneys are on. Lots of Duggar references too. As usual, Nancy gets facts wrong, keeps referring to it as child sexual abuse, but I was amazed to even hear this being covered in "prime time" at all. Yeah for Doug, he finally made it big time in the mainstream media...sort of.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is almost too much. The amount of abuse these Christian men dish out...amount the women take...it is astounding and depressing. The sad thing (one of many sad things) is that this is not enough to bring Doug Wilson down. It takes a Doug Phillips size scandal to do that. I don't like Nancy Grace's show, but is good this is finally getting out there.

This is almost too much. The amount of abuse these Christian men dish out...amount the women take...it is astounding and depressing. The sad thing (one of many sad things) is that this is not enough to bring Doug Wilson down. It takes a Doug Phillips size scandal to do that. I don't like Nancy Grace's show, but is good this is finally getting out there.

Don't interpret this the wrong way, but growing up in the same area as Christ Church, I honestly believe that Doug Wilson's bark is worse than his bite, so to speak. Yes, I believe he housed at least 2 sex offenders, and that is awful. I realize he writes the weirdest stuff. But in all reality, his following is not that big compared to Doug Phillips or Bill Gothard. Yes, he's done damage to families, but I don't think he's effected nearly as many people as he likes to think he has.

Don't interpret this the wrong way, but growing up in the same area as Christ Church, I honestly believe that Doug Wilson's bark is worse than his bite, so to speak. Yes, I believe he housed at least 2 sex offenders, and that is awful. I realize he writes the weirdest stuff. But in all reality, his following is not that big compared to Doug Phillips or Bill Gothard. Yes, he's done damage to families, but I don't think he's effected nearly as many people as he likes to think he has.

Maybe so. Nonetheless, unlike Phillips and Gothard, he writes in mainstream evangelical publications and hobnobs with mainstream evangelical intellectuals online and in print. I get hot under the collar every time I see him being taken seriously in such venues. Do the people editing, reading, and engaging with his articles never glance at his blog?

Maybe so. Nonetheless, unlike Phillips and Gothard, he writes in mainstream evangelical publications and hobnobs with mainstream evangelical intellectuals online and in print. I get hot under the collar every time I see him being taken seriously in such venues. Do the people editing, reading, and engaging with his articles never glance at his blog?

This is why I especially despise Doug Wilson, because somehow he has wormed his way into the mainstream. Nobody reads his blog! Or if they do they explain away the more bizarre/racist/sexist stuff, because he "gets the gospel right" (according to John Piper, who has quite a large following).

If you try to bring up Doug Wilson's sinister underbelly, you get "That's just gossip" or "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater". It's very frustrating.

thewartburgwatch.com/2012/07/13/doug-wilson-fashionable-calvinista-has-disturbing-views-on-slavery/

I know we don't care about OT here, but I am thinking maybe this Doug Wilson stuff should have it's own topic given these new developments. Not that they are not relevant here, but because people don't always read these "mega" threads and the info may get lost or not as many people will see it since it's buried in a rather long thread.

I know we don't care about OT here, but I am thinking maybe this Doug Wilson stuff should have it's own topic given these new developments. Not that they are not relevant here, but because people don't always read these "mega" threads and the info may get lost or not as many people will see it since it's buried in a rather long thread.

That is a good idea.

About Silter and Wight or…? I'm confused. Link?

Not sure about which couple, but here's the post and link from several pages back.

Doug Wilson pushes the envelope just a little too far on the subject of what to do with "Sex Offenders in the Church." Commenter Linda says, "Or, Pastor Wilson, you could just marry a convicted pedophile to an innocent young woman in your church. That would solve all those pesky problems, no? Oh, wait, you've already done that. How's that working out so far?"

Wilson's response? "Linda, thanks for your concern-- it is working very well."

dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/sex-offenders-in-the-church.html

I shit you not, this is eerily similar to what certain family members of mine believe. I've actually heard the words "If someone is raped, it was God's will!" They reposted that Femina Girls blog post on facebook, and I am just sick to my stomach over it. TWO of this person's daughters have been raped. What are they trying to say, that their daughters weren't "submissive, but strong" enough? :evil:

First it's Kelly C saying "Assertive women don't get raped", now it's this Bekah Wilson saying "Girls who submit to the RIGHT people don't get raped". Fuck you both. You are both idiots.

Honestly sometimes I think these fundies are trolling the world. I can't believe that they are serious. But then I look at my family members who spout off the same crap and I have to believe.

"If someone is raped, it was God's will." :angry-banghead: I just...I'm really speechless.

Free all the fundie girls!

Gay panic at the library needs to be a post title.

Gay panic at the library needs to be a band.

That is a good idea.

Shall I start one? I was thinking the topic title could be "Phillips' pal Doug Wilson <3s s*x criminals" - and would I just link back to this topic or is there a way to move/copy the DW discussions here? If so, that's beyond my skill set.

I think Wilson is just as vilely important as Phillips in the attempts to subjugate half the population, and his inexcusable actions and promotions need to be exposed widely for what they are.

Please advise, or if someone else wants to start the new topic, I'll be there!

Shall I start one? I was thinking the topic title could be "Phillips' pal Doug Wilson <3s s*x criminals" - and would I just link back to this topic or is there a way to move/copy the DW discussions here? If so, that's beyond my skill set.

I think Wilson is just as vilely important as Phillips in the attempts to subjugate half the population, and his inexcusable actions and promotions need to be exposed widely for what they are.

Please advise, or if someone else wants to start the new topic, I'll be there!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21646

Here's the new topic about Wilson the douchecanoe. (Not started by me, just sharing.)

"If someone is raped, it was God's will." :angry-banghead: I just...I'm really speechless.

So was I, at the time. I didn't know what to say. I just stood there with a "Did you really just say that!?" look on my face, and then the topic changed so I didn't have a chance to say "Are you freaking kidding me!?"

Nolan posted this:

"CULT ALERT

Doug Phillips teaches that stating the opinion that a church is "cult-like" -- if the opinion is incorrect -- is punishable as an act of division and slander.

Doug Phillips teaches that such a person "must be prepared to face the consequences which are rightly due to [them]".

Doug Phillips teaches that "Cults do exist. They are wretched abominations which rightly should be denounced."

Here's an excerpt from an article Doug wrote and used to "teach" the members of Boerne Christian Assembly (BCA).

“Perhaps the worst thing a disgruntled church member can do is insinuate that the body with whom he disagrees is 'a cult' or simply 'cult-like' … Cults do exist. They are wretched abominations which rightly should be denounced. But if a people are going to raise the “C†word publicly, they had best be prepared to defend such a charge before the world, and if found guilty of defaming a legitimate work of Christ, they must be prepared to face the consequences which are rightly due to those who divide brethren and slander the servants of the Lord.†-- Doug Phillips, How to Honorably Leave a Church, Private BCA Teaching

CULT : A community where the culture is controlled by a head.

COMMUNITY : A network of relationships.

CULTURE : How people live.

CONTROL : The effect of exerted power.

HEAD : A few people, or positions held by a few people.

BCA is a cult.

Bob Sarratt and Jeff Horn, may i have the opportunity to contest this charge before the world?

What happens if i am right?"

Nolan posted this:

"CULT ALERT

Doug Phillips teaches that stating the opinion that a church is "cult-like" -- if the opinion is incorrect -- is punishable as an act of division and slander.

Doug Phillips teaches that such a person "must be prepared to face the consequences which are rightly due to [them]".

Doug Phillips teaches that "Cults do exist. They are wretched abominations which rightly should be denounced."

Here's an excerpt from an article Doug wrote and used to "teach" the members of Boerne Christian Assembly (BCA).

“Perhaps the worst thing a disgruntled church member can do is insinuate that the body with whom he disagrees is 'a cult' or simply 'cult-like' … Cults do exist. They are wretched abominations which rightly should be denounced. But if a people are going to raise the “C†word publicly, they had best be prepared to defend such a charge before the world, and if found guilty of defaming a legitimate work of Christ, they must be prepared to face the consequences which are rightly due to those who divide brethren and slander the servants of the Lord.†-- Doug Phillips, How to Honorably Leave a Church, Private BCA Teaching

CULT : A community where the culture is controlled by a head.

COMMUNITY : A network of relationships.

CULTURE : How people live.

CONTROL : The effect of exerted power.

HEAD : A few people, or positions held by a few people.

BCA is a cult.

Bob Sarratt and Jeff Horn, may i have the opportunity to contest this charge before the world?

What happens if i am right?"

I like this young man more and more. He's decided to take on sytem....

I hope the commentator who experienced gay panic at the library has a blog, and that I can find it. Can you imagine all the fun we could have

with that one?

Gay panic at the library needs to be a band.

A Panic! at the Disco tribute band. :D

I think I've figured out how the commentator knew the librarian was gay--it has to be self-loathing, y'all! Because every good fundie know gays are full of self loathing, sort of like the kind of person who hates kids and yet freely chooses to pursue a career as a children's librarian!

Of course it took me a few days because I'm not intellectual like her husband...

I don't think anyone has posted this yet but Kelly C has graced the SSB comment section with her presence.

spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/04/22/queen-bees-of-homeschooling-stacy-mcdonald-and-kelly-crawford-dont-like-the-victim-word-in-the-lourdes-torres-manteufel-vs-doug-phillips-lawsuit/

Kelly Crawford

April 22, 2014 @ 5:21 PM

I am overcome with sadness reading this thread. There are so many untruths here it is impossible to answer them. And deep down, I know answering is fruitless.

But let me start with this: my comment on Wilson’s article in NO WAY equates with a defense of Doug Phillips. “If I think he’s so wonderful…†(Marian) Ridiculous leaps of assumptions like that make it difficult to apply credibility to anything that is said here.

And the lies do as well.

Regarding the Phillips scandal, let me be clear: he is guilty. Guilty of sin, of lust, of adultery, of lying, of cheating and of doing so under the “weightier†responsibility of being a teacher. I have no need or desire to defend him. His guilt doesn’t weaken my beliefs, because my beliefs never hinged on him. I believe only what is in Scripture–nothing more, nothing less. I agreed with Wilson simply that if Lourdes received sexual advances against her wishes, as an adult, she had no reason to not tell anyone.

The idea that “the system†she was under kept her too fearful is ludicrous. Whatever definition of patriarchy/biblical submission/authority you use, NO teaching encourages one to follow the authority of someone in sin. There is ALWAYS taught the recourse of obeying God above man–any man. I know her family enough to know that she was not bound by fear or some teaching that would inhibit her from seeking help. Her father loved her dearly and would have protected her without question. Someone asked me if it were my daughter…she knows full well exactly what to do if approached in an unwanted way. And if help isn’t immediate enough, she packs a gun and she knows how to use it. We don’t raise cowards, as assumed. To try to use a “teaching†as a defense, especially when that teaching emphasized the protection of women, is as upside down as it can get.

Which brings me to the allegations about my husband…it’s astonishing that people who don’t know me can so accurately tell what my life is like. I have never known a kinder man than my husband. But not just that: he is a living sacrifice. There is no wielding of authority, only that he feels the weight of being an example of Christ to us, and he does it well.

I truly don’t understand how I’m supposed to be brainwashed. Even the life choices we’ve made were my idea. When I cried every day at work and wanted to come home, he gladly agreed, even though we couldn’t afford it. He worked extra for a while to allow me to be where I wanted to be.

When we decided to pray about children, it was my idea–my heart-tugging that didn’t want to miss any of them. So he agreed. He encourages my dreams as a writer (when I want to quit he encourages me not to because he knows it’s my passion), he puts my needs first, always, and without complaint.

There is no area in which he “rules†over me. Our understanding of the relationship in marriage, as taught in Scripture, says that a husband loves his wife as his very own flesh. The areas where others accuse him of “ruling†are things I have chosen.

There is so much freedom in my life, my marriage, our relationships, that it literally confounds me to read threads like this, and confirms that the Internet is a wild, unruly place, where slander and lies and misrepresentations have no end. Imagine me, leaving my life where there is laughter, practical jokes, comedy (my husband loves to laugh), peace, joy, (insert normal parenting challenges) children who are happy, ALL pursing exactly what they want, coming here to find my name describing a life that isn’t mine at all. I wish any of you could experience the bizarre feeling.

I urge those reading to understand that these “sounding board†sites are not perpetuators of what is true, but rather take truth and distort it, leaving a believable, yet dishonest picture.

We would all do well to be warned that “slanderers†and those who “sow discord among the brethren†are included in the same list as adulterers.

May God have mercy as he divides the tares from the wheat.

There's also her reply to Julie Ann at 7:24pm and Stacy also made an appearance further down the thread.

The replies to Kelly and Stacy are a joy to see. It's too bad that neither of them will likely see most of them.

The whole comment section over at SSB on that entry is actually an interesting read with lots of thoughtful stuff in there. Sad to see how many stories of abuse were coming up in the comments.

And Kelly just didn't want to give up on that argument, did she?

Archived