IGNORED

J'Slaves Writing a Book

GeoBQn

I'm really annoyed that Duggar Time seems to apply to writing the book.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering if Duggar Time got them bumped off the schedule. If it did, someone's probably getting fired or at least reprimanded for this. It affects profitability of the house for the year! They're working with a ghostwriter, and they're STILL LATE? Oh em gee, as the kids would say.

I would LOVE to know what their advance was.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One has to wonder if it's a matter of rewrites. Perhaps the publisher keeps receiving 'final drafts' that are just unpublishable. So, back it goes for rewrites.

How f**cking hard is it to string together a bunch of Gothard cliches and bible quotes, with the aid of a ghostwriter??? Honestly. I cannot believe that they are missing the Christmas gift giving season.

This seems like the perfect gift for the fundy crowd.

Most of us could slap this thing together in a week, just by cutting and pasting TLC articles/tv show transcripts/Journey to the Heart blog posts. Throw in some existing photos, and you are done. Voila.

One has to wonder if it's a matter of rewrites. Perhaps the publisher keeps receiving 'final drafts' that are just unpublishable. So, back it goes for rewrites.

My experience with my first book: I got the first set of revisions. I did my best and sent them back. This took about a month and a half. (My editor is thorough. I heart her, and I am damn lucky.) She did another read and sent me a second set, drilling down on a couple of scenes. Those took two weeks. The same agency I'm with represents another author that went through 12 rewrites of a book, but at the end, she managed to cough up a publishable book. My book (hopefully) is in the copy editing phase now. I'll get those edits soon. I'm also expecting the initial set of revisions to the second book any day now.

If they can't turn in a good "final draft", the editor and the ghostwriter will rewrite the book. The only reasons I can think of for them to blow the pub date are a) they have no content, or b) whatever they came up with is displeasing to Jim Boob and Mullet, and they are attempting to have whatever it is excised from the final manuscript.

Of course, IMHO, YMMV, whatever.

My experience with my first book: I got the first set of revisions. I did my best and sent them back. This took about a month and a half. (My editor is thorough. I heart her, and I am damn lucky.) She did another read and sent me a second set, drilling down on a couple of scenes. Those took two weeks. The same agency I'm with represents another author that went through 12 rewrites of a book, but at the end, she managed to cough up a publishable book. My book (hopefully) is in the copy editing phase now. I'll get those edits soon. I'm also expecting the initial set of revisions to the second book any day now.

If they can't turn in a good "final draft", the editor and the ghostwriter will rewrite the book. The only reasons I can think of for them to blow the pub date are a) they have no content, or b) whatever they came up with is displeasing to Jim Boob and Mullet, and they are attempting to have whatever it is excised from the final manuscript.

Good luck with your book!

To me, writing is the easiest part ... it's the editing that's the bane of it all. I really hope everything goes great for you. :)

Chibi, thank you so much. I am still pinching myself. ;-) I hope things are going well for you, too.

You're an author as well. What do you think happened with this book? I believe there's "objectionable content" according to Jim Boob and Mullet, and there's little they can do besides flip out because (IIRC) the four authors are all over 21 and signed a contract.

Chibi, thank you so much. I am still pinching myself. ;-) I hope things are going well for you, too.

You're an author as well. What do you think happened with this book? I believe there's "objectionable content" according to Jim Boob and Mullet, and there's little they can do besides flip out because (IIRC) the four authors are all over 21 and signed a contract.

Exactly. Maybe they want to be honest about some things and they're pissed it doesn't keep to the party lines

Thank you so much! :romance-grouphug:

To be completely honest, I'm still in the re-writing and editing stage of things (you know, the part where you delete half of everything), and haven't had that much honest-to-goodness experience with the official publishing world yet.

That said, I would guess that the problem is on the publishing and editing end of things, and the poor souls over there are trying to re-edit things for whatever reason (new, unreadable material; it's just too skewed to patriarchy to sell well; etc). Could be anything, really.

The conspiracy theorist in me really, really wants it to be because of Joy, and the possibility of adding her as an author when she's 'old' enough. But that's not very likely, even for the Duggars.

I vote for "they have no content." What do these young women possibly have to write about? they have never been to school, they don't socialize, they rarely pursue any individual interests and they can't have insights because they are not allowed to have unmonitored thoughts.They haven't read any age-appropriate books or listened to anything other than parent-approved music. There are no courtships that we know about, and when they have traveled they've been always in the company of their family. I"m sure they are not being allowed to write about the details of Gothardism, and what else is there?

AS much as I would love to reading a book about the ones who beak free, I think I would not have respect for them to tell their story to public peolpe when it their own family business. Even tho I read those kind of books I dont respect the writers who have the need to show case to the world, even if their life was already show case to the world be fore. Just leave the religion and live, why hurt the other family ones who simply made a choice how to raise their kids even if we they wrong? Those kinds of book writers are after money are after publicity. I dont like it. But Id still buy the book!

AS much as I would love to reading a book about the ones who beak free, I think I would not have respect for them to tell their story to public people when it their own family business. Even tho I read those kind of books I dont respect the writers who have the need to show case to the world, even if their life was already show case to the world be fore. Just leave the religion and live, why hurt the other family ones who simply made a choice how to raise their kids even if we they wrong? Those kinds of book writers are after money are after publicity. I dont like it. But Id still buy the book!

I disagree oil. Everyone but the parents were dragged into this when they were minor children. Some of them were even born into dog and pony show. They didn't have a choice about it. I wouldn't begrudge one or more of them eventually spilling the beans on what really went on. It could even be cathartic for them, get out the years of mental and spiritual abuse they were subject too.

It could even be cathartic for them, get out the years of mental and spiritual abuse they were subject too.

I think cathartic could be done with out shaming the family for doing what they believe was correct in their religion. But I under stand and agree that it could be helpful to them mentally. I said it that even tho I dont like the idea of doing cathartic this way, I would really buy the book, I woulod love to read about it for a guilty pleasure.

I think cathartic could be done with out shaming the family for doing what they believe was correct in their religion. But I under stand and agree that it could be helpful to them mentally. I said it that even tho I dont like the idea of doing cathartic this way, I would really buy the book, I woulod love to read about it for a guilty pleasure.

The parents needs to be shamed. The Duggar parents have sold and exploited their children's childhood for fame and money. They care so much about the fame that when the one poor child fell and was seriously injured Michelle was practically giggling with glee and shoving her camera in his face to video it. She was grinning from ear to ear when they rolled him out on a stretcher. They need a good shaming and if it comes from one of their children it will have a stronger impact on the public opinion of them. Anyone else will just be considered "haters". People need to see that the way they raised their large family was not all sweetness and joy. It was neglect and emotional and spiritually abusive.

Shaming the parents or not...they all have a right to their stories. They may not be the stories others want told but they still have value.

Stories (even the ugly ones) are important.

Shaming the parents or not...they all have a right to their stories. They may not be the stories others want told but they still have value.

Stories (even the ugly ones) are important.

This is true. Yes, their stories might not be nice, but it is their story. People shouldn't be made to feel bad if it ends up their life story makes their family look bad.

The parents began it against the wishes of at least some of their own parents so if the kids disagree and want to go public about it, why not? It's not that different from the blogs of ex-ATI offspring.

The parents needs to be shamed. The Duggar parents have sold and exploited their children's childhood for fame and money. They care so much about the fame that when the one poor child fell and was seriously injured Michelle was practically giggling with glee and shoving her camera in his face to video it. She was grinning from ear to ear when they rolled him out on a stretcher. They need a good shaming and if it comes from one of their children it will have a stronger impact on the public opinion of them. Anyone else will just be considered "haters". People need to see that the way they raised their large family was not all sweetness and joy. It was neglect and emotional and spiritually abusive.

I didnt think of it that way. Yes I see now. Usually I hate it to put private family business to the open public just to hurt the family, but yes you convinced me this is a different situation.

Most of us could slap this thing together in a week, just by cutting and pasting TLC articles/tv show transcripts/Journey to the Heart blog posts. Throw in some existing photos, and you are done. Voila. Waa laa!

Fixed that for ya :D

• 5 weeks later...

At the National Book Festival in DC this weekend, I thought--wouldn't it be hilarious, yet horrifying, if the J'Slaves book (now with courtship!) was a huge hit & they got invited to the National Book Festival next year? It will never happen, but a gal can dream...

Apologies if this has already been discussed:

The publication date of the J'Slaves' "Growning Up Duggar" has been pushed back AGAIN , to March 2014: http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Duggar-Am ... ds=duggars

Growing Up Duggar: The Duggar Girls Share Their View of Life Inside American's Most Well-Known Super-Sized Family [Hardcover]

Jill Duggar (Author), Jinger Duggar (Author), Jessa Duggar (Author), Jana Duggar (Author)

List Price: $21.99

Price: $16.65 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details

You Save: $5.34 (24%)

Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on March 4, 2014.

But it does have cover art already!! I don't understand why, if it already has a description & a cover, it can't be published this November as planned. What is the holdup? My guess is that they want to wait until the next season of shows is over?

Maybe they want to add a couple of chapters on Jessa's courtship and engagement?

Maybe they want to add a couple of chapters on Jessa's courtship and engagement**?

** marriage, first pregnancy and six pages on how they owe everything to Boob.

It pisses me off that they are listed as authors of the book when I doubt that they wrote a word of it. They probably were not even involved in the process at all. These are people who can barely remember their talking points for an episode. I do not see them coming up with an intriguing concept for a book. Then again, the only audience for the book is other fundies, so it doesnt need to be interesting or intellectual. All it has to say is kissing and touching are bad unless you are married. Then you can hump all you want in front of your friends and family.

They've admitted to having a ghostwriter, so it's not as if the reader is going to hear the "voices" of each girl, which would actually be nice as a way to distinguish between them.

Archived