IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I posted this on another thread; but, it fits here too! The Duggars favorite food market-Aldi's is starting to carry organic food beginning in my area tomorrow! We can only hope, their local store carries these items and the Duggars will choose to buy them! It's a start on healthy living at least!

I know we go through this on every thread where Aldi comes up, but don't blame Aldi for the Duggars' poor choices. Just like any other grocery store, they carry plenty of processed crap, but they also carry basic ingredients for making healthy meals like milk, eggs, Greek yogurt, whole grain breads, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. The Duggars just choose not to utilize those foods.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the tth is built on a dump, so maybe they can't eat the produce they would grow- the tomatoes may glow in the dark! you never know what might be in the soil! i do wish they would grow flowers and such- if i had such a large growing area i would open a nursery. the fresh air and sunshine would do the kids good.

i was busted in the hospital once eating a chicken veggie pizza my husband snuck in. the nurse left a note for the dietician that i wasn't eating healthy. the dietican left her a scathing note that i was eating lean chicken, good dairy in the cheese and a full serving of vegetables, all on a thin crust, so what was wrong with that? the hospital food service alternative was fatty salisbury steak in salty gravy, over-processed mashed potatoes and salad with fatty dressing. the dietican told her to lay off me and just be glad i was eating.

needless to say, i had a different nurse the next day and from then on, i could eat whatever i wanted.

The house being built near a dump is an easy problem to remediate. The can garden in raised beds. Truck in the first year of compost, from then on they can build the fertility of the beds with newspaper, hay, and fruit, veggie, and egg compost.

Oh that's right, the only fertility that matters is Michelle's.

The house being built near a dump is an easy problem to remediate. The can garden in raised beds. Truck in the first year of compost, from then on they can build the fertility of the beds with newspaper, hay, and fruit, veggie, and egg compost.

Great, now I'm picturing plants growing on her ovaries. Thanks a lot.

They had a garden for a couple episodes there. Wonder what happened to it.

They had a garden for a couple episodes there. Wonder what happened to it.

I think that was an early shut up internet moment. They were allowing a neighbor or friend to have a garden on their property. Just like so many Duggar things, it was pretty much for filming only.

We have high lead levels in our soil in the People's Republic of Cambridge Massachusetts. Plenty of kids have elevated lead levels after simply playing in sandboxes in Cambridge or eating food grown in the soil. But this doesn't keep any of us from having raised beds and growing our own food.

A lot of people just don't understand basic nutrition. That mom probably thinks that TTC is just turkey (protein) and potatoes (a vegetable), so it has to be healthy. Lots of people think that frozen tator tots are just pure potatoes and that ground turkey is made of only the very low-fat parts of the turkey. But tator tots have tons of added fat and salt, and ground turkey is made mostly from the dark meat that is left over after the white meat is made into relatively healthy sandwich slices. Ground turkey tends to have less fat than ground beef, but it's still not healthy.

I once had someone insist that the cheesesteak hoagie I was eating was healthy, because it had a protein (the steak and cheese), a starch (the bread), and then the vegetables on top. Yes, the lettuce and tomato probably added up to a full serving and I surely got some vitamins from that, and I'm sure my body used all that protein, but I'm sure it was also loaded with fat and salt, which is why it tasted so good.

I disagree with you that ground turkey and beef are unhealthy by definition. Low-fat doesn't equal healthy, and high-fat doesn't equal unhealthy. Many vitamins are fat-soluble, and dark meat turkey and beef contain a lot of iron, B vitamins and other nutrients. Someone on a paleo diet for instance (relatively high in meat and fat, high in fruit and veggies, no grain or dairy) would consider ground turkey and beef to be very healthy, even high-fat kinds.

I agree that TTC isn't the most nutrient-dense of foods but low-fat equalling healthy is one of my pet peeves.

Oh I don't know....if you can choke down Boob's sublime concoction of tuna and BBQ sauce without gagging, it is somewhat healthy, though 'cue sauce is high n sugar.

Whether the garden is in raised beds or in the actual dump soil itself doesn't matter if no one tends to it. With all the trips they take, would there be anyone home often enough to make sure the plants are watered, weeded, and picked?

Whether the garden is in raised beds or in the actual dump soil itself doesn't matter if no one tends to it. With all the trips they take, would there be anyone home often enough to make sure the plants are watered, weeded, and picked?

My basic gardening method is "Chuck seeds at it and forget it for a few months". Obviously it's not the best garden you've ever seen (and this year I was bested by my mother absent-mindedly allowing the nieces to choose where to plant the morning glories, so I'll actually have to put some real work in over the next few years), but even in a very small bit of land we usually get enough food to last us several meals in the summer, plus kale and cabbage through the winter. (Our family is smaller than theirs, but we have less space as well.)

It IS possible to plant a fairly low-maintenance vegetable garden, along the lines of forest gardening. (That's not what I do, I really am just lazy, but they could do it if they cared to.) Then they wouldn't have to tend it as frequently or thoroughly as most of us are used to. Now that their kids are older, there's also no reason they really *need* to travel as a pack all the time. They could easily stagger things so some of the oldest children left later (tending the garden beforehand) and others came home sooner.

Got a solution for that too. :D In keeping with the spirit of American entrepeneurship, I babysit various gardens during the summer when their owners take their annual vacations. On your way home from work, you stop to water, feed and weed. You get payment in produce. Everybody wins. If the Duggars spent more time getting to know people in their community instead of trying to control them, they could easily get garden coverage. ;)

I know we go through this on every thread where Aldi comes up, but don't blame Aldi for the Duggars' poor choices. Just like any other grocery store, they carry plenty of processed crap, but they also carry basic ingredients for making healthy meals like milk, eggs, Greek yogurt, whole grain breads, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. The Duggars just choose not to utilize those foods.

Yeah, Aldi has great deals on produce. My husband and I have been able to buy more fresh fruits and vegetables thanks to their specials.

Though, this can backfire too- if you control what your kids eat too much, they are likely to binge once they can eat whatever they want. (I think in a way this is true of Josh). I've known many kids who were never allowed sweets of any sort, and who basically lived on them once they got out of the house. Some reverted back to normal eating, others didn't.

I don't believe in banning food, junk or otherwise, only to limit it. The key to teach kids that junk foods are for "special" occasion, not for everyday. Make your kids get used to eating fruits and vegetables as part of a daily diet and keep those available always in the house. Moderation is KEY in teaching healthy appetites. I don't believe in banning food, but there's no reason to buy junk food. I would make sure apples and pears are available always, but limit the children's intake of cookies and soda. Kids will acquire whatever habits you provide for them at home. If they don't see chips and cookies in the house, but are allowed to eat them at parties and other people's houses, they are less likely to feel the food is "forbidden". The kids you say who basically subsisted on sweets probably did so because it was seen as the "forbidden" thing. I would never treat it as such. It's unhealthy to treat any food as some horrible, sinful thing.

I have never acquired a taste for frosting or overly sweet concoctions because I was rarely exposed to them, even though my parents never banned them. They just never bought them, even though I was allowed to eat cakes and cupcakes at parties when it was available. Once I was an adult, it never occurred to me to buy sweet pastries because we didn't buy them at home even though I was allowed to have them elsewhere. That's what I mean by exposing a child to healthy food. I don't consider exposing children to certain things while not buying other things is 'controlling', merely a preference which is more likely to be passed down.

I don't believe in banning food, junk or otherwise, only to limit it. The key to teach kids that junk foods are for "special" occasion, not for everyday. Make your kids get used to eating fruits and vegetables as part of a daily diet and keep those available always in the house. Moderation is KEY in teaching healthy appetites. I don't believe in banning food, but there's no reason to buy junk food. I would make sure apples and pears are available always, but limit the children's intake of cookies and soda. Kids will acquire whatever habits you provide for them at home. If they don't see chips and cookies in the house, but are allowed to eat them at parties and other people's houses, they are less likely to feel the food is "forbidden". The kids you say who basically subsisted on sweets probably did so because it was seen as the "forbidden" thing. I would never treat it as such. It's unhealthy to treat any food as some horrible, sinful thing.

I have never acquired a taste for frosting or overly sweet concoctions because I was rarely exposed to them, even though my parents never banned them. They just never bought them, even though I was allowed to eat cakes and cupcakes at parties when it was available. Once I was an adult, it never occurred to me to buy sweet pastries because we didn't buy them at home even though I was allowed to have them elsewhere. That's what I mean by exposing a child to healthy food. I don't consider exposing children to certain things while not buying other things is 'controlling', merely a preference which is more likely to be passed down.

My parents didn't ban it, and even had it around the house- having it around the house meant that we learned that it was available and not going to be gone if we didn't eat it all at once. However, they had other things around the house that we ate too- cheese, fruit, veggies, popcorn (hot air) ect... (I often got in trouble for eating all the mushrooms without asking, so my mom would go to make something and they'd be gone.) We weren't allowed soda as kids, but that was more a cost issue than anything, we regularly had kool aid and tang, as well as juice. I had an apple sensitivity as a child, which has since developed into a full fledged allergy, and I didn't like juice much as a child because nearly all of it has apple juice in it. (except citrus juices)

I think the sweets thing is really a personal preference. I adore sweets, I can pace myself, but I adore them. My mom isn't really a big sweet eater except for a few fruits. My grandmothers both love sweets and would bake often or just keep them around the house. I don't think that it's something that you develop a taste for, you just like them or not, and it's true that as an adult you don't like stuff as sweet as a child does. (a child generally needs more calories for their size, so it is an evolutionary thing) As much as I love sweets, stuff like frosting is too sweet for me now also.

But I really have noticed that the people I know who had parents who kept all sweets out of their house, really have had the most problems adjusting to a healthy diet as adults. MOST, but not all, have managed.

Teaching kids to make healthy choices is hard in the beginning (especially when you have an incredibly picky eater like my son is/was) but it pays off. DS is in middle school now, and came home the other day complaining about how they offer mostly "Junk food" in the hot lunch line, and started packing his lunches. He still picks one day a week to eat junk food, but he doesn't like doing that on days when he has football practice because he feels yucky. And this was all his choice. I was so freaking happy and proud but I tried to play it cool :lol:

The shit the duggars eat is gross and I can't imagine how gross they feel. I mean, my husband and I both work 40+ hours a week, plus DS's pretty grueling football schedule, and we still manage to have decent meals. Healthy cuts of meat, having fresh veggies, hell even throwing a bag of frozen veg in to cook quickly is easy and healthy.

I couldn't imagine not having the joy of fresh, in season corn cooked on the grill, or when certain fruits and veg come into season and they're cheap and you just gorge. I mean, they've said how grapes are a treat in their house. FRESH FRUIT SHOULD NEVER BE A TREAT.

The Duggars eat crap. You only need to read their recipes or look at all the photos Smugger takes of food to see that this is true.

I think the reason that they eat is way is: laziness.

Eating well - especially with 19 children is bound to be hard. Michelle and the Boob would need to do things like plan and plant a garden, teach the children how to look after a garden, research recipes, teach themselves/the children to make those recipes, make menus , shop carefully (might need careful budgeting), educate the children about healthy choices (might mean they also have to learn something ). They would have to carefully supervise and teach. You know - actually parent.

I think the reason that they eat is way is: laziness.

Eating well - especially with 19 children is bound to be hard. Michelle and the Boob would need to do things like plan and plant a garden, teach the children how to look after a garden, research recipes, teach themselves/the children to make those recipes, make menus , shop carefully (might need careful budgeting), educate the children about healthy choices (might mean they also have to learn something ). They would have to carefully supervise and teach. You know - actually parent.

Exactly, it is simple laziness. I think it may be even more simple though. Aside from the planning/gardening/shopping steps, fresh produce has to be rinsed, peeled, and sliced. Canned fruits and vegetables can just be poured into a bowl. Waterslide and J'boob can't be bothered to take time from pro-creating and self-righteous blabbering to spend one extra minute preparing fresh food.

We all know that the older girls do most of the cooking and feeding, but of course they're just repeating what they've learned.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever think they would cook their way through the Duggar recipes and write a blog on it (sort of like Julie and Julia movie). I don't think I could because I need to watch my cholesterol.

Here are the recipes.

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes

Perhaps all of us should 'try' one and write about it haha

Tried the chickenetti once. It was nasty. Even my ex, who LOVES junk food and anything fake, had to choke it down and say "Um... that was interesting!"

I think I value my heart health too much for that :lol:

However, and this is a little off topic, but scrolling through the recipes, I found a pic of Jill (at least, I think it's Jill) where she looks suspiciously...rounder...through the middle. Just throwing that out there. It's on the Indonesian Fried Rice page.

I dunno... I'd eat a fair bit of that food. The Italian dressing sounds nice, and Josiah's biscuits seem pretty tasty. I'd make my own scone batter though - too cheap to waste money on premix.

Also, they use the same nasi goreng seasoning I do. Oops. Mine is loaded down with vegetables though, if that makes it any better.

Archived