IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Has anyone else seen Supersizers? A food critic and a comedian eat the food and live the lifestyle of a particular period of British history for a week. They have their health tested before and after. It's fascinating and hilarious. I would LOVE to see them do the Duggars eating habits..

gOE0VP0EZ0M

They do Elizabethan, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian, WW2, 1950s, 1970s... Very well done and worth a look.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that show! Watching Sue Perkins trying to perfect the Versailles glide was pretty much the highlight of my tv viewing schedule last year. Some of the food looked lovely. Some of it (udder, balls, mice) was just terrifying.

Mice seem preferable to Duggar cuisine. At least you know what you're getting: dead rodents. A Duggar meal is just a mess of fillings, binders and questionable meat.

Our version is a christmas cookie called ting-a-lings (I have no idea where the name came from) but it is essentially the same recipe with exception of the butterscotch chips being a mixture of butterscotch and chocolate chips. I have to admit they are one of my favorite cookies- but there is a reason they are only Christmas cookies, eating them year round is not a good idea.

my daughter-in-law made a shitload of these last year as she has no real cooking skills. i jokingly suggested we should have bought some "mardi gras king cake" plastic babies, plunk one in the middle of each and call them "baby jesus in the manger" cookies.

she reminded me last week to order 8 dozen plastic babies so she can make them for the dinner at the church. she never got that i meant it as total sarcasm.

i hope i didn't just give the duggars a really bad idea for fancying up their haystacks.

I kind of second this, only from a German POV. And I'm the last one to be a food snob. Our version of "Kraft dinner" is called *Miracoli* and I could live on this only. :oops:

Oh, I dunno—I find adding a little black pepper, garlic powder, and ancho chile to boxed mac & cheese make it a reasonably passable dish. ;) Canned chicken, though...what has been seen cannot be unseen.

A lot of American food is gross; it's just that combination of laziness/indulgence/ignorance/convenience that results in shit like sketti and what the Duggars call a menu. I would say that at least they've moved beyond [link=http://www.buzzfeed.com/violas94/42-meals-from-the-1950s]our onetime heavy reliance on gelatin[/link], but then again, a few of those things look more palatable than some of the stuff our TLC darlings readily down.

Cost? I prefer to use vanilla beans, because I like seeing the little black specks at work, but I'm also really lazy so use extract sometimes. That stuff is almost as expensive as buying the beans in bulk. Essence is about a fifth of the price.

May I recommend Vanilla paste to anyone out there? Its a little pricey (I buy it at Williams SOnoma) but it lasts forever and you don't get that weird grain alcohol tang. It also has the scrapings from the bean pods so you get the specks. Its one of the few things I'll buy full retail at WS!

Really? I always wondered that after finding out what velveeta was I was too scared to ask. :lol:

YES..with the green beans ...it seems to be a staple Duggar food.

Irishy you can actually get them, I found them in the can aisle. I just think with the fresh type or frozen being more palatable and reasonably priced they are just off the radar. I did (sadly) go looking for some of these things, whilst as you said they are not a common go to food in Ireland (for me Scotland) they do exist.

On an Irish note, my Mother just brought me back some Jacob's Polo biscuits from Dublin...I am utterly depressed they do not make them here :cry: That and good Irish batch bread, not to be had :cry:

Mmmm, batch bread, can't beat it! I miss tin peas too, but I don't fool myself into thinking they are as healthy as fresh peas.

Under the pickle recipe it says james grew a vegetable garden this year. I guess there its hope for some of these kids to make good food choices!

(also aretejo, ireland is not part of the uk)

I LOVE the supersizers! Due Perkins is a hoot and Giles Coren is the cooking woman's crumpet.

Sue Perkins is amazing. Giles was great, but Sue is fantastic. I've seen her in a few other things like the documentary of Anne Lister. If I wasn't straight I'd propose to Sue.

We need more personalities on television in this country. A pretty, but not hot, lesbian educated at Cambridge who is obviously an opinionated bookworm would never make it as a television personality here. I'm not saying that a lot of British tv isn't junk. But, there is a lot of very high quality stuff... and they aren't as squeamish about allowing more average looking women grace their screens. I noticed this in Israeli films too. I saw three movies while I was there and in two of them a rather hot guy ended up with women that were downright homely by comparison to the US version of beautiful. You saw crows feet and wrinkles on the actors. It was far more compelling to see actors I could identify with.

Anyhoo, I digress. The Duggar recipes are awful. Its NOT hard to feed a large familiy non-crap. Just last night at Break the Fast we were discussing the Chabad cookbook that was sold a few years ago as a fundraiser. Yes, the family that put it together garnishes their asian coleslaw with crumbled ramen noodles, but it does taste fantastic :-) But, they also bake their own challah and other bread, vegggies are at every meal. And most meals start out with salads. Hummus, home made dipping oil called Sparslic, eggplant salad, and other Meditteranean style foods. Its oftentimes only slightly harder to cook a large amount of food than it is to cook a smaller amount. Putting chicken in a baking dish and covering with spices doesn't take more than a few minutes longer if you're loading up two baking pans. And my current fave recipe is costco salmon (already cleaned and de-skinned) with some costco pesto spread on top and baked for 20 minutes. Last week I rolled boneless skinless chicken thighs in tandoori spice and sprayed a bit of oil on them. I put them on a bed of chopped fresh onion and covered with tin foil and baked. I made TONS of it and there was maybe 10 minutes of prep time, if not less. Soup is another thing, I often throw a bunch of stuff and some better than boullion into a pot and if I add some beans and diced turkey breast (also from costco) I can make 20 servings of main course soup. Served over brown rice when we want something super filling.

I cook with canned cream of --- soups on occasion. Why? Because that is one thing my mom never taught me, and I never bothered to learn the alternatives. Recipe please?

This thread makes me realize what a food snob I am.

Food snob in regards to the Duggars? Or food snob in regards to FJ food choices?!

I'm a total food snob, but I don't take it to mean that food has to be complicated or fancy (although when I have a kitchen again I plan on cooking some fancy things again!)

I mean it as in terms of food can be good and simple but to have a snobbish approach in terms of not eating pure junk.

Personally the whole "put cream soup or mayo" in everything makes me ill. I will admit that I find a few of the Duggar's recipes to seem okay. I'm a fan of quick pickles for instance. And I checked out the Pioneer woman after her being mentioned here. While most of her recipes seemed to be outside of my taste I was intrigued by her making iced coffee concentrate with just cold water, coffee grounds and time. WIth house renovations and home work piling up I've taken on the unfortunate habit of drinking iced coffee... often times at 4 dollars a serving!

actually, i would bet half of those are pulled off of the internet. Their picture for "Poor Man's Pizza" looks good enough to eat - real looking crust, mushrooms, zucchini all on top. Here is the recipe description when you click it:

no WAY they used that recipe (either variation) to make that picture. No way.

The Jeubs had this recipe too. It was basically like, pick your base (bread, tortillas, bagels, etc), add a sauce (pasta sauce, ketchup, ranch dressing, whatever), then add cheese and toss in the oven for a few minutes. The cheese options were sliced cheese, shredded cheese, and parmesan :lol: And they published this in a cookbook. AFAIK, most people don't actually need a recipe to know how to make bagel bites :?

(also aretejo, ireland is not part of the uk)

No indeed it is not. But I get that no one seems to realise this. Especially Amy Duggar who thought she was going to um....Ireland?....Switzerland?...one of the "lands"

Canned tomatoes are a staple in my home. But not eaten straight from the can like Jim Bob ...ugh.

Even Italians prefer to use canned tomatoes for cooking! Hooray for a can of tomatoes, an onion, a clove of garlic and a slosh of good oil.

Oh, oh, oh. OMG *flails* I use tinned tomatoes quite frequently in my own cooking, but dear sweet jesus, only cooked! ONLY COOKED. The smell of raw tinned tomatoes is absolutely disgusting.

No indeed it is not. But I get that no one seems to realise this. Especially Amy Duggar who thought she was going to um....Ireland?....Switzerland?...one of the "lands"

Amy is certainly not the full wattage :lol:

Saying that I totally got States of the US wrong a few weeks ago on here, so I am not going to harsh on her.

Back to the green beans. It seems also to be 'go to' Duggar baby food, preferably fed to a horizontal child. Was Anna not trying recently to feed her baby a jar of baby food, which he did not like. She then said he prefers her homemade baby food. WHICH turned out to be pureed frozen green beans?

I was thinking of doing the Duggar cooking challenge (would be fun to see how my children react, because in general they love crap food, the forbidden fruit) but I hesitated because it would be soooo expensive. The way they eat costs more than eating healthy even though I am sure they think that they are saving money. And then someone else beat me to it--good thing, because my kids would be asking for TTC for months after tasting it.

I am going to blame putting Ireland under the UK umbrella in the post on my lack of caffeine before typing this morning. :oops: If some of my childhood friends saw that, I would have my "Irish For the Day" revoked for the next 5 St. Patrick's Day celebrations. :shock:

Of all things and places Costco Kirkland brand real vanilla extract is very reasonable. Granted it's a huge bottle but I don't think vanilla extract goes bad.

I have had vanilla extract go very bad indeed. It had been opened, then sat on the shelf for months. I went to get it to put in something and it tasted nasty. Kind of bitter, and not at all vanilla-y. It wasn't fancy stuff, just the regular grocery store vanilla extract. I don't bake very often because Mr. Shrdlu doesn't like desserts much, and I don't need to be any fatter.

I have started using Cook's Pure Vanilla Powder instead of the liquid stuff. I have had the jar for a long time, and it's still good. I would love to try the vodka thing though.

Bad news for the Duggars (and some American workers) today. Campbell's soup is closing two plants. From what I read they are moving to pouch packaging and away from tins. The news article stated that the pouches give the appearance of freshly prepared food :roll: In some respects I think this news deserves it's own thread, but tins can be recycled and stack neatly. Can you imagine the Duggars sorting through hundreds of bags of soup and attempting to store them in their food warehouse?

And in other food news...When I was recovering from my hangover on Tues. I pulled all my chicken bones and trimming and dumped them into the Rival Roaster, with a hand full of rosemary, parsley, sage and thyme. Covered the mess with water and whalla, 16 quarts of stock by nightfall.I chilled it over night, stuck a strainer funnel in a 1/2 gallon ball jar and proceeded to fill them. The hardest part of the labor was cleaning out the bottom of my freezer and layering it with the jars.

I have had vanilla extract go very bad indeed. It had been opened, then sat on the shelf for months. I went to get it to put in something and it tasted nasty. Kind of bitter, and not at all vanilla-y. It wasn't fancy stuff, just the regular grocery store vanilla extract. I don't bake very often because Mr. Shrdlu doesn't like desserts much, and I don't need to be any fatter.

I have started using Cook's Pure Vanilla Powder instead of the liquid stuff. I have had the jar for a long time, and it's still good. I would love to try the vodka thing though.

I keep vanilla extract in the fridge... got that tip from a friend from Madagascar. I usually trust insiders' tips as far as food is concerned!

Bad news for the Duggars (and some American workers) today. Campbell's soup is closing two plants. From what I read they are moving to pouch packaging and away from tins. The news article stated that the pouches give the appearance of freshly prepared food :roll: In some respects I think this news deserves it's own thread, but tins can be recycled and stack neatly. Can you imagine the Duggars sorting through hundreds of bags of soup and attempting to store them in their food warehouse?

And in other food news...When I was recovering from my hangover on Tues. I pulled all my chicken bones and trimming and dumped them into the Rival Roaster, with a hand full of rosemary, parsley, sage and thyme. Covered the mess with water and whalla, 16 quarts of stock by nightfall.I chilled it over night, stuck a strainer funnel in a 1/2 gallon ball jar and proceeded to fill them. The hardest part of the labor was cleaning out the bottom of my freezer and layering it with the jars.

Tins are also full of BPA. Not sure using plastic bags would be better BPA-wise, but I can't say getting rid of cans is that bad (of course they could just use BPA-free tins.)

Holy Shit! Butter, bacon and a cup of brown sugar and then canned green beans not fresh ones like the picture would lead you to believe. :shock:

A good vanilla extract doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. Order some good vanilla beans (we found ours on amazon), get a cheap bottle of vodka (we used Smirnoff), cut the beans so the middles are exposed and place in a jar. Cover with vodka. Store in a dark, draft free place (I store in my canning cabinet). Shake one or two times a day for 6 months, and voila, Vanilla extract. You can continue to top off the extract without needing to add more beans fora b it.. every so often, add a couple more beans. It continues to make wonderful vanilla, and it won't go sour. If you want an exact recipe, I can dig it up for you.. but seriously, one of the best things I ever did. Because it's real extract, most of the time I can use a bit less than a recipe calls for and it still tastes the same. All in all it costs significantly less than the store bought real vanilla extract.

I'm going to have to try that!

Archived