IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

OT but food related... I was in a rural remote town in Australia called Broken Hill (Priscilla Queen of the Desert fans will recognize name) Anyway, I had to attend a potluck, and we were all instructed to bring a salad. An Aussie guy said he was going going to bring an "American Salad" which got my interest (as an American).

So I'm thinking what's that?? Is there a salad that we just call salad, but it's in no other country? I forgot where he learned it, and he honestly thought that's what the name was. Frankly, I think he thought I was a moron for not instantly recognizing the words AMERICAN SALAD.

Turns out it was an ambrosia like salad... mixed fruit, marshmallows, and mayo. At the party people kept asking me about it..

But the locals... they had a salad too... CHEESE SLAW which consisted of shredded carrots and cheese mixed with mayo. I don't think it would be out of place at a Duggar get together.

And a recipe that I'd like to try is the ice cream snowy thing G'Ma Duggar makes.

mixed fruit marshmallows and MAYO??? Did you taste it?

It should have been cool whip or dream whip--not mayo.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those aren't available here in Australia. What are they? I'm wondering what the equivalent would be.

Those aren't available here in Australia. What are they? I'm wondering what the equivalent would be.

Cool whip is an artificial dairy whipped topping like whipped cream. Dream whip is a powder you mix with milk to make a whipped topping like whipped cream.

Cool Whip

Dream Whip

I have salads like that with mayo. Yes, fruits salads. It doesn't "have" to be whipped cream. Its more than likely a regional thing. Common to the South where I'm at. More than likely the original recipe called for Miracle

Whip, which is a kind of sweet mayo.

I have salads like that with mayo. Yes, fruits salads. It doesn't "have" to be whipped cream. Its more than likely a regional thing. Common to the South where I'm at. More than likely the original recipe called for Miracle

Whip, which is a kind of sweet mayo.

I didn't taste it bc I'm a vegetarian (marshmallows), and I'm guessing he used mayo bc there is no Miracle Whip in Australia. Miracle Whip, if I recall my Miracle Whip history correctly, was invented as a cheaper version of mayo, and it's "technically" not a mayo- like legally they have to call it a "dressing." But there are people, like my parents, that exclusively buy Miracle Whip instead of actual mayo. I think I had moved out before I knew there was a difference between the 2. I just assumed Miracle Whip was a brand name for mayo.

• 3 weeks later...

Dream whip or cool whip is fake whipping cream. It gets used in these kinds of processed food desserts.

Miracle whip is fake mayonnaise.

My horror was the idea of putting fruit together with mayonnaise instead of whipped cream. Yogurt is also good with fruit.

I am still horrified. Mayonnaise is made by whipping raw eggs and oil together.

-shiver- :disgust:

regional food differences !! :lol:

Dream whip or cool whip is fake whipping cream. It gets used in these kinds of processed food desserts.

Miracle whip is fake mayonnaise.

My horror was the idea of putting fruit together with mayonnaise instead of whipped cream. Yogurt is also good with fruit.

I am still horrified. Mayonnaise is made by whipping raw eggs and oil together.

-shiver- :disgust:

regional food differences !! :lol:

I was in back of a lady at the grocery store yesterday who bought cream cheese, orange jello, cool whip, mayo and mandarin oranges. Was it sad that I knew exactly what she was making and was a bit jealous?

I was in back of a lady at the grocery store yesterday who bought cream cheese, orange jello, cool whip, mayo and mandarin oranges. Was it sad that I knew exactly what she was making and was a bit jealous?

I'm not a fan of ambrosia myself, but my dad loves it. We've always made it as "5 cup salad", with canned pineapple chunks, canned mandarins, shredded coconut, mini marshmallows, and sour cream. And yes, it does do best if left overnight, since that mixes the flavor *and* softens the marshmallows. (But mayo?! UGH!)

I just found a recipe for it here as well: allrecipes.com/recipe/5-cup-salad/

Some of these salads you all are talking about remind me of those nasty old Jello salads - remember?

1911551043.png

Some of these salads you all are talking about remind me of those nasty old Jello salads - remember?

My grandma had an old recipe book from the 50's with some savory Jello recipes in it. I love reading recipe books so I flipped through it... I'm not exaggerating when I say I actually had to throw up after reading them. I know that aspics are a thing in some cuisines, and perhaps it is more palatable in those. But these old Jello American recipes were just too weird for me. And I usually like interesting savory dishes, like savory cupcakes!

• 4 weeks later...
I just made tater tot casserole.

it tastes---interesting.

why turkey? I think it would be better with ground beef.

Supposedly ground turkey is healthier than beef.... (sometimes it's cheaper too)

I haven't tried any of the food recipes but I have used the laundry detergent recipe. It works pretty good on regular clothes that don't get grubby dirty. I've been using it for over 5 years, still on the original boxes of Borax and Washing Soda. I still use regular detergent for my guys work clothes, socks/undies and dish towels/cloths.

The Duggars may not have turned me into a fundie, but that laundry detergent has most likely allowed me to afford a few extra bottles of rum over the years!

Question though- would tater tot casserole work better if the tater tots were cooked per instructions first?

I know this is an old post, but yes, it tastes much better! They get kind of soggy on the bottom if you just cook them over the meat. My husband won't eat it if I do it that way. (That's the way my mom always made it.) I brown the hamburger and cook the tater tots first. I usually throw some onions, peppers, tomatoes in with the hamburger, too. I also make a cheesy bechemel sauce that I layer on top of the meat before I put the tater tots. (again, hubby preference), and then sprinkle some shredded cheese on top, too. Go big or go home, right? lol

Archived