IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Lol, no Jesus soup, I love to thicken my food with corn starch, soups too because I can dip a bucketload of toast in it. Yummy. Yummyyyyyy...

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are these recipes anti-Christ because if I remember correctly, Jesus gave his followers fish and loaves of bread. Nowhere in the bible are ANY of these recipes mentioned.

Duggar Chicken & Noodles

8 cans cream of chicken soup

10 T. Mex. chicken boullion

17 c. water

1 onion chopped (or 1 T. onion powder)

4-5 bags egg noodles

chunks cooked chicken (optional)

pepper to taste

Boil Soup, Boullion, Water, & Onion. Boil 5 min.

Add Noodles & chicken. Pepper either in pot or at table. Yummy!

Chicken is optional in chicken & noodles.

I think I may vomit.

I use cream soups. I won't touch Velveeta though. And my cream soup usage is sporadic. For last minute 'nothing to eat' kinds of things. I'm not opposed to its use, but it really shouldn't be part of your every day diet. The sodium alone will kill you in a week.

A hashbrown casserole to rival Zsuzsus. Seriously, how can anyone think this is good eats?

Hashbrown Casserole

ShareThis

1 (32 oz.) pkg. frozen hash browns (2 lbs.)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1/2 c. milk

2 t. onion powder

1/2 t. pepper

2 c. grated cheddar cheese

1/4 c. melted butter

3 c. cornflakes, crush cornflakes in Ziploc™ bag, pour

melted butter in & shake.

Spray casserole dish with oil. Layer 1/2 hash brown first. Then pour 1/2 of soup mixture = cream of chicken, milk, onion powder, salt, & pepper. Then half of the grated cheese. Repeat… Hash browns, soup mixture, grated cheese. Top with crushed, buttered corn flakes. Bake at 350 for 45 min. (Jana’s favorite meal!)

I promise I'm done sharing. I'm just feeling pretty nauseated reading their recipes and wanted to share the feeling, because I am generous like that.

*GAG ME*

I've been thinking about this thread all morning...

I love green bean casserole, and pork chops or chicken cooked in cream of mushroom soup, but those are things I only eat maybe twice a year.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of using that much cream of crap soup and process cheese food in meals on a frequent basis... granted I'm a lifelong Californian who learned how to cook from my Japanese-American mother. I'm sure the Duggars would think that my use of Asian and Hispanic ingredients is strange.

The only canned foods I use on a regular basis are tomato products, canned beans and corn.

I have a young rooster who is gorgeous, but if he doesn't learn his place by this spring will be a good candidate for canning.

Or you could cut him up, let him marinate in red wine and some herbs for a few days, then braise him with a little beef stock, pearl onions and mushrooms. Even the old roosters get tender this way.

These are soups made popular by Campell's soup company. They are basically chicken (or mushroom, celery) suspended in fake dairy and thickening agent chemicals. When you open up the can, it kind of glops out. The idea is that it's condensed so you thin it out of with mil or water. Also they are incredibly salty. They are popular in casserole recipes because they are cheap and easy. Also Campells invented a lot of recipes that use it as a creaming/thickening/binding agent. (this one is a staple at many American Thanksgiving http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recipede ... peId=24099) Most of the time you can make a roux/bechemel sauce to substitute it.

Thank you. That's really sad. Roux is so easy to make :-(

Anyone else remember the show Grace Under Fire with Bredt Butler? One line from it that I still remember; someone was asking why she used cream of mushroom soup in recipes, and she said: "Because sometimes things struggle in the pan, and cream of mushroom soup subdues them". :lol:

Hee! She just might succeed, you know. Having an idle moment, I checked out that "soup" on nutritiondata.com

7 lb Broccoli, frozen, chopped, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt = 896 calories, 0 g fat, 336 mg sodium

2 lb KRAFT VELVEETA Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread = 2720 calories, 192 g fat, 13,340 mg sodium

1 qt Cream, fluid, heavy whipping = 3284 calories, 352 g fat, 360 mg sodium

1 cup Cornstarch = 488 calories, 0 g fat, 12 mg sodium

Recipe total: 7,388 calories, 544 g fat, 14,037 mg sodium

Divide in 21 servings = per serving 352 calories, 26 g fat, 668 mg sodium

And it's only a soup! Betcha they eat it with crackers. It would be high if the recipe made enough for 40.

BTW, using the Harris-Benedict calorie formula and USDA fat and sodium guidelines:

A moderately active 5'4" JSlave weighing 120 lb (I'll call her Janilesgeroy) needs about 2,160 calories, 70 g fat and 1,500 mg sodium per day.

A very active 4'3" Howler Monkey weighing 70 lb (Jederasmestinson) needs about 1,870 calories, 62 g fat and 1,500 mg sodium (less for Jackson) per day.

For either, a bowl of this crap is almost half the daily fat and salt, plus 1/5 the calories.

/research geek

So, basically, with one meal, they get half their daily salt/fat, and the other 2(?) meals and snacks have to provide for the remaining 4/9s of the calories? How does that work? No, seriously, I'm wondering about what you'd have to eat to balance that out.

Meh. The calories in a bowl aren't too bad because it's probably a meal in itself (maybe with some crackers) although it's high in fat. With kids, I don't worry as much about sodium although I'm sure it isn't good to eat too much, but that's a lot of fat for a bowl of soup. I think the soup sounds good though (sorry!). I wouldn't eat it every day, but once or twice a month in the winter, when it's snowing outside? I'd be all over that.

I don't really know what a roux is, except that it's some sort of thickening agent, so I looked it up. Wikipedia says that it's acceptable in America to substitute cornstarch for roux, although probably not in haute cuisine. OTOH, "roux" sounds better, so I'm willing to believe it tastes better. ;) But I'm also willing to bet that if I hadn't heard of roux, the Duggars haven't either.

I don't really have an issue with the Duggar recipes -- they are all very "down home", church potluck, funeral wake, family birthday party dishes. I like funeral potatoes, chicken/stuffing/cream of chicken soup casserole (my favorite guilty pleasure), tater tots, cream soups, Velveeta, etc. However, even thought I'm a terrible eater, barely cook and apparently eat WAY more processed food than almost everyone else that has posted, I wouldn't eat that stuff every day. It's like weekend food, or big family dinner food.

Who was that woman who wrote on her blog about college educated women telling her they couldn't boil water? I laugh at her over my homemade chicken and barley soup. And whipped mascarpone with blackberries.

A hashbrown casserole to rival Zsuzsus. Seriously, how can anyone think this is good eats?

Well... I don't know if I'd call this "good eats", but damn is it pretty tasty in a major comfort food way. :mrgreen: This was, and still is, served with either Thanksgiving or Christmas for my family. However, that is really the only time during the year I get to eat this because I would gain a ridiculous amount of weight if I ate this way every day, or even on a semi-regular basis.

And I am fully willing to admit to being a fairly lazy college kid who works two jobs. I just don't want to cook sometimes. But I still wouldn't cook the vast majority of recipes the Duggars have posted. Seriously, right now I'm eating a massive batch of chicken tortilla soup. Maybe 20 minutes of prep time, and another 10 minutes of additional prep time in checking on the soup, stirring, and adding the chicken. 30 minutes of work = a delicious, insanely healthy meal that is cheap and easy to reheat. AND I did some defrauding dance moves in my kitchen while the music was blaring, so the whole process became much more fun.

Maybe if the Duggars were allowed to dance while cooking, the food would be happier? Just a thought... :whistle:

I know hungry stoners with way better culinary skills than these guys. I would never feed my child or myself with canned chicked (unless someone canned it themselves from fresh, I'm talking grocery store canned). Velveta is not cheese.

I tend to cook on the easy side at times because I'm just too fricken tired to cook - but its always with fresh ingredients. Tonight we had what I call "pub chicken" (because the first time I had it was in a pub) - grilled chicken breasts (boneless/skinless), then sprinkle w/ jack cheese & bacon, put under broiler to melt cheese. It was so easy a cat could make it, but the food was REAL - real chicken, real cheese. I could easily quintuple this recipe to make it for 20 people. Why can't they go to costco and buy chicken breasts, pork chops, real beef?

Who was that woman who wrote on her blog about college educated women telling her they couldn't boil water? I laugh at her over my homemade chicken and barley soup. And whipped mascarpone with blackberries.

Seriously?!? I lived with changing female uni students for 7 years, and know an awful, awful lot more, and they all know how to cook their own meals.

Maybe if the Duggars were allowed to dance while cooking, the food would be happier? Just a thought.

I'm a great cook, but my meals always improve with a little Motown :banana-blonde:

edited to get rid of a fucking angel smilie

I have a feeling that the bulk of their recipes involve cream of chicken soup which is so high in sodium and preservatives, it's no wonder why JB is suppose to be on a diet.

I remember in one of their episodes, JB was on a diet and Michelle gave him CANNED tomatoes for lunch. Really?! Does she honestly think that by giving someone canned shit is suppose to make them look like a warrior?! I know they have a lot of children, but since some of her older girls are in charge of cooking, the least they can do is take one of their high sodium recipes and turn it into something healthy. Even that, making a simple healthy salad is not hard work whatsoever. Just because you put salad on the buffet line with ranch dressing, it doesn't make it healthy. A simple vinagrette, involving less than 5 ingredients, is so easy to make, that you can store it for over a month.

Fail, epic fail.

I'm a great cook, but my meals always improve with a little Motown :banana-blonde:

edited to get rid of a fucking angel smilie

Where is this fucking angel smilie of which you speak?! I must have it. I didn't know angels fucked...

My older sis used to make a revolting casserole involving cream of chicken soup, instant rice, and a small can of chopped Ortega green chilies. Oh, and I think a smidge of jack cheese on top. Suffice to say, that's the only thing she knew how to cook besides chili dogs and toaster-made grill-cheese sandwiches...

When I was a kid, microwave quesadillas were our usual after-school snack. Jack cheese in a tortilla, nuked until the cheese bubbled, then devoured with lots of green taco sauce. So yeah, the "poor man's pizza" is something even a 4-year-old can make (if my kid sister can be used as a gauge).

Even my high school sold "cheese melts" at lunch. This is a fluffy (High GI!) white bread roll with a slice of processed chese nuked in microwave. Disgusting! But so popular. Ew.

Doesn't Campbell's sponsor them or something? I seem to remember in one of their earlier specials, when they were showing off their pantry, there was shelves and shelves of Campbell's cans, all with the labels facing out for the camera. Hello, product placement!

God, Campbell's even makes Healthy Request soups with less sodium now (don't know if the cream of crap soups are covered in that though). Can't they just heat up a ton of those together, make some grilled cheese, and serve that instead? Still isn't incredibly healthy, but better than casseroles and soups made from Velveeta and condensed soup with extra salt thrown in!

Velveeta's ok in moderation; my sister makes this amazing macaroni and cheese that has Velveeta mixed in with actual cheese and it tastes great, but we don't eat it every week. Is there anything fresh in their recipes?

And whoever said this sounds like Sandra Lee came up with their recipes, I applaud you. So, so accurate!

Doesn't Campbell's sponsor them or something? I seem to remember in one of their earlier specials, when they were showing off their pantry, there was shelves and shelves of Campbell's cans, all with the labels facing out for the camera. Hello, product placement!

Don't forget that Jim Bob had the important and very demanding job of stock boy so he knows how to stock a shelf in true grocery store fashion!

Archived