IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Here is a nasty recipe that my family ate at someone's house. Now they love it and I will only make it maybe once a year. You will see why!

Viva la Chicken

Ingredients:

Flour tortillas

Cream of mushroom soup

Plain cooked chicken breast cut into small pieces

Salsa

Cheddar cheese (the original used Velveeta but plain cheddar is cheaper and yummier)

Mix cream of mushroom soup with salsa to taste--in my family, they like it pretty spicy because the rest of the dish is bland.

Layer flour tortillas on the bottom of a casserole dish.

Spread some of the soup/salsa mixture over the tortillas. Then sprinkle chicken over the mess and make another tortilla layer on top.

Repeat until you reach the top of the casserole dish.

Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake until bubbly. 350 always works for me.

Try not to vomit as your husband and children shovel it in.

Make yourself a grilled cheese sandwich or warm up leftovers. Cuz underneath the cheese, the casserole is gray and you have this weird thing against gray food.

This is not kosher due to mixing of meat and dairy. If you are Jewish, that will be your handy excuse not to eat it. Don't worry about whether it reheats; the kids will practically lick the pan clean.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re Viva La Chicken aka Mexi-Chicken Lasagna

I would eat this up in a minute compared to some of the other cream souped concoctions, and have :-)

Here is a nasty recipe that my family ate at someone's house. Now they love it and I will only make it maybe once a year. You will see why!

Viva la Chicken

Ingredients:

Flour tortillas

Cream of mushroom soup

Plain cooked chicken breast cut into small pieces

Salsa

Cheddar cheese (the original used Velveeta but plain cheddar is cheaper and yummier)

That's King Ranch Chicken, except you're supposed to use Rotel instead of salsa and most people insist on corn tortillas. It's a staple in Texas. I use http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/10/king-of-casseroles-king-ranch-chicken.html The Homesick Texan's recipe now, mostly because I like the spice of a poblano pepper.

Found this on the FoodNetwork site, sounds much more yummy tbh

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 medium Spanish onion, chopped

2 stalks celery (with leaves), chopped

3 medium carrots, chopped

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour

7 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned

3 sprigs parsley

3 sprigs fresh thyme

1 bay leaf

2 3/4 cups cooked, diced chicken

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 1/2 teaspoons dry sherry

1 tablespoon kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food ... index.html

I will never understand soup recipes whose ingredients contain 'can of soup'. What's the point in cooking anything at all? Sure, the recipe you've posted is maybe more expensive than theirs, but if chicken noodle soup is too expensive you can make other soups, particularly vegetable ones, for next to nothing. My favourite recipe ever is for lentil soup and includes an onion, two carrots, some lentils, vegetable stock, and salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I stick other veggies in, too, depending on what I've got around the house.

I'm not exactly the world's greatest cook. I like things like cheese and chocolate, and when I feel the need for a little extra protein and iron I have no qualms about eating baked beans, cheese and egg on toast for dinner. Yet even I find the thought of most of those recipes hard to imagine, and not only because I'm a vegetarian.

OT, but am I the only one who's really irritated that this homeschooling family can't even get the apostrophe in the right place? It should be "Duggars' favourite recipes", not "Duggar's favourite recipes", unless you're referring to a single member of the family by the last name, which would just be stupid on the family's own website.

• 7 months later...

So, I was at a mom's group yesterday and I was talking about the big shopping trip I am doing today. Anyway, this lady's sister was there with her boat load of kids (they were visiting) and she went on to tell me how much she gets recipes from websites. I agreed that there were many recipes online, but I am somewhat picky. I then said the Duggar family website and how the recipes are not healthy. Well, it was like I told the woman I have 3 heads.

She kept saying how the Duggars eat so healthy and we could learn a thing or two about how they eat :roll:

I then bought up Josh and his growing size. She said, "I am sure Anna is just a great cook"

Yes! That was her response. Where do these Duggar fans get their education? Seriously!

She also said coupons were a waste of time.

Has this woman ever seen the recipe for tator tot casserole which is basically their signature dish? That's like the definition of not healthy. And chicken-etti? I have yet to see a Duggar recipe that can be defined as healthy. I don't think those kids get many fruits and vegetables.

Though I agree, depending on how you use coupons, it can be a waste of time. If you use them like extreme couponers, that's a waste. If you use them to buy things you don't want/need/wouldn't otherwise buy, or use them to buy larger quantities of things than you could reasonably consume before you get sick of them/they expire, then that is a waste. But coupons aren't necessarily a waste, they just can be, and are often for the unhealthiest of foods anyways.

Has this woman ever seen the recipe for tator tot casserole which is basically their signature dish? That's like the definition of not healthy. And chicken-etti? I have yet to see a Duggar recipe that can be defined as healthy. I don't think those kids get many fruits and vegetables.

Though I agree, depending on how you use coupons, it can be a waste of time. If you use them like extreme couponers, that's a waste. If you use them to buy things you don't want/need/wouldn't otherwise buy, or use them to buy larger quantities of things than you could reasonably consume before you get sick of them/they expire, then that is a waste. But coupons aren't necessarily a waste, they just can be, and are often for the unhealthiest of foods anyways.

Yes, she has lol She said Tator Tot Casserole is a family favorite and she thinks it is healthy. She wants to try chicken-etti once I told her what it is. I think she has like 9 kids so may be the amount the kids get is like nothing lol

A lot of people just don't understand basic nutrition. That mom probably thinks that TTC is just turkey (protein) and potatoes (a vegetable), so it has to be healthy. Lots of people think that frozen tator tots are just pure potatoes and that ground turkey is made of only the very low-fat parts of the turkey. But tator tots have tons of added fat and salt, and ground turkey is made mostly from the dark meat that is left over after the white meat is made into relatively healthy sandwich slices. Ground turkey tends to have less fat than ground beef, but it's still not healthy.

I once had someone insist that the cheesesteak hoagie I was eating was healthy, because it had a protein (the steak and cheese), a starch (the bread), and then the vegetables on top. Yes, the lettuce and tomato probably added up to a full serving and I surely got some vitamins from that, and I'm sure my body used all that protein, but I'm sure it was also loaded with fat and salt, which is why it tasted so good.

Yes, she has lol She said Tator Tot Casserole is a family favorite and she thinks it is healthy. She wants to try chicken-etti once I told her what it is. I think she has like 9 kids so may be the amount the kids get is like nothing lol

of course tater tot caserole is healthy!!!eleventy!! Tater tots = potatoes = vegetables. Cream of- soup = cream = dairy. Turkey = meat = gooooood. Sodium = iodine. Hydrogenated fats = Liberal propaganda. And there are even mushrooms in the cream of crap soup!

Chickenetti too: spaghetti = pasta = grains. 1/4 cup green pepper = totally enough vegetables when split between a family. A pound of Velveeta = cheese = dairy. Chicken = meat. More sodium = more iodine = cures depression and makes you smrt!

There you have it.

(as an aside: did the tater tot casserole recipe always call for turkey? I could have sworn it called for beef but the recipe I found on their site calls for turkey)

I'm nearly positive it always called for turkey because turkey is cheaper than beef. I remember thinking, the first time I saw it, that if I were ever weirdly inclined to make TTC I would use beef because I think it would taste better with potatoes :?

It's better than what the poor "Sparkling" girls get to eat. So if you compare it to that it's healthy. But in general, no, it's not healthy, but I've run into people who just don't really understand nutrition, and don't want to try.

A lot of people just don't understand basic nutrition. That mom probably thinks that TTC is just turkey (protein) and potatoes (a vegetable), so it has to be healthy. Lots of people think that frozen tator tots are just pure potatoes and that ground turkey is made of only the very low-fat parts of the turkey. But tator tots have tons of added fat and salt, and ground turkey is made mostly from the dark meat that is left over after the white meat is made into relatively healthy sandwich slices. Ground turkey tends to have less fat than ground beef, but it's still not healthy.

I once had someone insist that the cheesesteak hoagie I was eating was healthy, because it had a protein (the steak and cheese), a starch (the bread), and then the vegetables on top. Yes, the lettuce and tomato probably added up to a full serving and I surely got some vitamins from that, and I'm sure my body used all that protein, but I'm sure it was also loaded with fat and salt, which is why it tasted so good.

I am from Philadelphia. I don't miss it often. But I crave a cheesesteak now.

Ten years down the line, half of the woman's children will be overweight, diabetic, or have high blood pressure from her "healthy" recipes. :roll:

She should meet my friend the Nigerian prince who needs help with a few simple transactions.

Processed food and soda, which they eat by the ton, isn't healthy. I predict a domino like reaction of diabetes and heart attacks.

She should meet my friend the Nigerian prince who needs help with a few simple transactions.

Processed food and soda, which they eat by the ton, isn't healthy. I predict a domino like reaction of diabetes and heart attacks.

Same here, and it will happen sooner with Smuggar since he eats a lot of fast food and couldn't give up his sweet tea when he was going to get his wisdom teeth removed, which inconvenienced everyone as his surgery had to be rescheduled. Naturally, he didn't care.

I posted this on another thread; but, it fits here too! The Duggars favorite food market-Aldi's is starting to carry organic food beginning in my area tomorrow! We can only hope, their local store carries these items and the Duggars will choose to buy them! It's a start on healthy living at least!

I posted this on another thread; but, it fits here too! The Duggars favorite food market-Aldi's is starting to carry organic food beginning in my area tomorrow! We can only hope, their local store carries these items and the Duggars will choose to buy them! It's a start on healthy living at least!

Organic only matters if they're actually buying fruits and vegetables.

The Duggars have plenty of opportunities to eat healthier but they choose not to. They could convert some of that large land into farm land and grow fresh vegetables and fruits. They have enough people to do the planting. They could shop for nonprocessed foods and buy it in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club and make healthier meals. Such a large family requires meal planning anyways so why not start with wholesome ingredients? There's enough older kids in the household that they could coordinate something like this.

Sadly, I feel the Duggars are just not interested in healthy eating nor are they knowledgeable about it. Their kids do a lot of running around so they stay thin so the parents think they are feeding their kids just fine. However, we all know that kids have high metabolism. Once those kids hit their 30's, or get married like Josh and have no control of food portion sizes...they can balloon very quickly with such unhealthy eating habits.

I reiterate over and over again that the best way to stay fit and healthy is to start it at a young age. If kids are exposed to healthy foods growing up, and rarely eat junk foods, they won't have an appetite for processed foods and cookies and chips as adults. Think how much easier it is to maintain a healthy weight if you never like eating cupcakes and soda!

They put on a face of wanting to eat healthy at least. They went to that food conference this summer with cooking lessons and seissions on raw food. TTC is from at least 5 years ago. It's too late for Josh, and may be too late for some of the other older ones who grew up on three courses of rice, but perhaps he younger ones are getting in the habit of making healthier choices.

I remember the episode in which Joy tells us her breakfast of choice is half cooked Asian noodles. And reading through the recipes on their website, they put a lot of unnecessary fat in their food. That's not to mention the fact that sooo much of it is processed. I can't imagine those kids eat whole grains very often at all. The only healthy recipe I spotted was their three bean chili.

I was going to say their sautéed green beans are healthy, but then I looked up how much sodium is in Bragg liquid aminos and realized that half a cup of it contains 3840 mg of sodium. Even split among 16 people, that's 240 grams of sodium per person. If you're getting 240 grams of sodium from your green bean seasoning, you're doing it wrong. I imagine their usual recipes have them so hooked on the taste of salt they can't stand vegetables with normal levels of seasoning.

I reiterate over and over again that the best way to stay fit and healthy is to start it at a young age. If kids are exposed to healthy foods growing up, and rarely eat junk foods, they won't have an appetite for processed foods and cookies and chips as adults. Think how much easier it is to maintain a healthy weight if you never like eating cupcakes and soda!

Though, this can backfire too- if you control what your kids eat too much, they are likely to binge once they can eat whatever they want. (I think in a way this is true of Josh). I've known many kids who were never allowed sweets of any sort, and who basically lived on them once they got out of the house. Some reverted back to normal eating, others didn't.

Archived