IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I'm so glad browngrl posted the Kwanzaa cake. I'm pretty sure Sandra Lee is horrible racist. Its the only explanation for her releasing that abomination on the black community.

Oh the Kwanzaa cake, the gift that keeps on giving. Also check out her Hanukkah cake, which btw has non-kosher ingredients in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXMGdRFgac

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Broccoli Cheese Soup

ShareThis

7 lbs. frozen broccoli

2 lbs. Velveeta™

1 quart sweet whipping cream

enough water to cook broccoli

1 c. cornstarch w/ cold water to thicken after hot

Cook broccoli first. Add Velveeta™ & whipping cream.

Add corn starch to thicken. Enjoy!

Oh, sweet Jesus! 2 lbs of velveeta will kill a fmaily of 19!

Poor Man's Pizzas

ShareThis

Variation #1

20 flour tortillas

1 jar spaghetti sauce

4 c. shredded cheddar cheese (or mexican blend)

Spread spaghetti sauce on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Warm on plate in microwave for 1 min.

Wow, they cook like hungry stoners!

These and many of their recipes are just hideous! Velveeta, as others have pointed out, is not real cheese, must be labeled as "processed cheese product"

I don't get it- the ATIers and Gothardites put so much emphasis on how being a SAHD/SAHM is best, yet all of them seem to eat a diet of high sodium, high fat, highly processed foods when they clearly have time to cook on a budget. Soak beans after the little kids go to bed. Roast a chicken or two or a turkey in the mornings to have ready for lunch instead of buying processed canned chicken!!! WF? Cook a pot of oatmeal with some dried fruit at night and then reheat in the morning to avoid sugary cereals, and grape rationing. Why can't they buy bags of oranges, apples and pears in winter as well as hit the roadside stands or farmer's markets in Spring, Summer & Fall instead of their fruit usually being fruit cocktail canned in syrup?

The Duggars clearly do not understand that toasting/charring a flour or corn tortilla adds a lot of flavor and is authentic- and that most tortillas are not 100% cooked when purchased at grocery stores because you are expected to "finish" it at home. A limp gummy unfinished flour tortilla would taste pretty awful compared to one warmed on a baking sheet in the oven for 12 minutes. Make a tray full of them and serve to everyone, dolts!

You can make a terrific and very healthy broccoli soup by steaming the broc and blending with either low fat chicken broth or water and then add a pinch of salt- tastes great, lots of nutrients and cheap without adding a ton of whipping cream. 3 ingredients (broc, broth or water, salt) makes it cheap and easy- even Michelle could manage this if she chose.

No wonder Boob, Michelle and Joshie all had weight issues (even though Michelle had lost some). The Duggars are too ignorant to understand that obesity is not the only measure of poor health. The whole family will have issues with all of the chemicals used to extend shelf life, oil added in place of more expensive dairy (Velveeta), etc. not to mention the outrageous sodium amounts each person consumes in just 24 hours per day. Add in the overused soda bar fountain and lack of drinking plain water all the time instead of sodas, "fruit punches" etc. and many of these kids will likely end up with high blood pressure, cholesterol problems and gall bladder/digestive issues before Smuggar loses his 9-month belly but after TLC's gravy train has left the station.

Sean and TLC, why can't you get Ellie Krieger or another nutritionist on the show ?

My hubby won't eat velveeta because as a kid they always used it for fishing bait and he doesn't see it as something humans should be eating.

And my niece won't eat peanut butter because they feed it to their dog as a treat. Meh.

IMO, a lot of the food they make doesn't necessarily sound that bad if you made in once in awhile, for a holiday or special occasion. I've actually seen those haystack things at a lot of potlucks, and while they're nothing special they certainly won't kill anyone. I've had velveeta-rotel dip that you put on chips, and it's really good. Any of it might be ok in small doses, but I doubt that's what the Duggars (and especially J&A) are doing. The one thing that grossed me out more than anything about the chickenetti was the fact that Anna claimed you could cook the chicken in the microwave :puke-front: As a single person, I use my microwave a lot, especially for heating leftovers, but it's rarely the optimal way to cook anything. I don't even like to thaw chicken in the microwave because it has a weird taste afterwards, and I am far from a gourmet. If you have the resources, why not do it better?

This.

Even Velveeta has it's place- in small quantities I use it to make a better textured mac and cheese, but I supplement with real cheese. I also won't cook or defrost raw meats in my microwave. It does affect the taste and texture. I have to say that I'm a bit of a foodie, but not a food snob.

Well let me give 'em one of my 'recipes'

Garlic Pizza

Buy a ready-made loaf of garlic bread

Split it open, remove paper and place the halves on a baking sheet

Top with jarred spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with cheese

Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes depending on how crispy you like your pizza.

Make 4 good-sized portions

I need to try your Garlic Pizza sometime when I'm in a time crunch. But I like making pita pizzas. Get pitas, lightly brush with extra virgin olive oil (if you want). Put pizza sauce or tomato sauce on pita, add cheese, spices, and whatever toppings you want (my fam loves mushrooms, tomatoes, fresh garlic, onions, etc). Bake on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees F until cheese has melted.

I've made broccoli cheese soup, with fresh broccoli, cheddar cheese, spices, and a very small amount of cream. It sounds way easier, healthier, and less expensive than the Duggars version.

Ok I'm truly nauseated. I had to read the whole thread. No I could not eat any of their stuff willingly, ever.

They could buy a lug of broccoli for $10 and 5lbs of Tillamook for $10 and made a healthy cheese soup for the gang. If it must be thickened puree the broc. and add some roux. Use a bit of fresh fennel for added zing.

I showed two people these recipes and apparently in the South they're perfectly acceptable.

I don't think this has anything to do with the lack of knowledge of nutrition fundies have.

I'm also in the South and also in the marijuana hub of NC -Kitty that was true and terrific! The Duggar recipes are not acceptable to me although I am not a foodie snob or total purist. Just like food that tastes good, is cooked simply and is more real than chemical. That said, I know many church potlucks and social situations. e.g.. birth, funeral, etc. where these types of casseroles are very popular and common.

My hubby won't eat velveeta because as a kid they always used it for fishing bait and he doesn't see it as something humans should be eating.

Same here. LOL... Velveeta isn't cheap either. About $8-$9 for a 2lb block. I can get a 2 lb block of cheddar for about the same price at a warehouse store. Making a cheese sauce isn't rocket science. Equal parts of fat + flour, make a roux, add milk, then stir in shredded cheese until it's all melty and delicious. Season according to taste. Skip the adding cheese part, and you have a basic cream sauce (no need for Cream of Crap Soup). Use chicken broth rather than milk and you have something similar to cream of chicken soup, without the nasty crap. Cheaper too. Cream of crap soup in a volume large enough to feed the Duggars is probably waaay more expensive than making it from scratch.

I'm also in the South and also in the marijuana hub of NC -Kitty that was true and terrific! The Duggar recipes are not acceptable to me although I am not a foodie snob or total purist. Just like food that tastes good, is cooked simply and is more real than chemical. That said, I know many church potlucks and social situations. e.g.. birth, funeral, etc. where these types of casseroles are very popular and common.

Indeed. No wonder people look at me like I have two heads- I'm not from the South originally so my family doesn't really eat that sort of crap (that being said, I'm still the token health nut).

I have a hard time eating processed food, I just don't like it much. Maybe it's the preservatives. Anything with fresh/ly cooked veggies and meat is great. I can't eat Campbell's soup though, it's far too salty.

What part of NC are you in, btw? Because I'm becoming suspicious that much of eastern NC is full of potheads.

I love Velveeta! But in moderation. It's not a daily fucking staple in my house, or even a weekly one. And I'm someone who will -and does- happily spend money on good quality cheeses, and knows the difference. I can't seem to help myself. Once in awhile, nothing will do other than a burger with a slice of Velveeta melted on it.

Mixing in cans of cream of _____ is pretty much the norm around here (Midwest). This is why I basically never eat a casserole made by someone else. I can't stand the stuff in any form. And I literally gag at the thought of eating canned chicken. Why?! Ugh, I don't even want to know what it tastes like and what is used to preserve it. Throw a few pieces of fresh chicken in a crock pot with a little bit of water for a few hours and you have wonderfully tender meat for any recipe with zero effort! I cook chicken this way at least once a week for something or another, and as an added bonus it yields you some stock to use/freeze. And it comes from the local butcher because it's insanely fresh and delicious, not to mention cheaper than at the grocery. I can see cutting corners in some areas, but in some ways these people are the epitome of lazy.

I love Velveeta! But in moderation. It's not a daily fucking staple in my house, or even a weekly one. And I'm someone who will -and does- happily spend money on good quality cheeses, and knows the difference. I can't seem to help myself. Once in awhile, nothing will do other than a burger with a slice of Velveeta melted on it.

Mixing in cans of cream of _____ is pretty much the norm around here (Midwest). This is why I basically never eat a casserole made by someone else. I can't stand the stuff in any form. And I literally gag at the thought of eating canned chicken. Why?! Ugh, I don't even want to know what it tastes like and what is used to preserve it. Throw a few pieces of fresh chicken in a crock pot with a little bit of water for a few hours and you have wonderfully tender meat for any recipe with zero effort! I cook chicken this way at least once a week for something or another, and as an added bonus it yields you some stock to use/freeze. And it comes from the local butcher because it's insanely fresh and delicious, not to mention cheaper than at the grocery. I can see cutting corners in some areas, but in some ways these people are the epitome of lazy.

You could get crazy one day and add some spices to your crockpot with chicken and water. I agree its an easy way to make chicken to use in sandwiches or even for dinner in a pinch. My favorite fast dinner is chicken and salsa in the crockpot.

Well, Lord, LPG... I don't want you to be denied yummy BLTs! There are many good reasons to switch to turkey bacon -- health reasons (like yours), health reasons as in just being healthier, preference for taste, etc. My turkey bacon rant has more to do with the current culture of food in America than turkey bacon itself (although I really do hate it, I'm sorry to say.) Someone on FJ, I can't think who at the moment even though it was like a week ago at most, posted a really smart dissection of the new American obsession with "pure" eating and I really liked it. Wish I could QFT. Anyway, my turkey bacon/Velveeta rant is much more about that than anything else. I just can't figure out why people think it's okay to like, lean over in a restaurant and give me a dissertation on why I shouldn't be eating bacon and should switch to turkey bacon and "OH MY GOD DID YOU JUST PUT SALT ON YOUR EGGS DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT SALT DOES TO YOU?!?" I just find it to be an annoying and weird development in American culture in the last decade and it's probably one of my biggest pet peeves. Which -- again. Nothing about you, LPG and those who eat turkey bacon -- the words "turkey bacon" apparently just trip the "RANT. RANT NOW" center of my brain due to close association between the words and pushy, condescending hipsters bugging me while I'm trying to eat my damn breakfast.

Ahem. Topic. You can eat paraffin!?! As in the wax that fixes the cracks on my hands in the winter?

If I have one more vegan friend scream about how cheese and milk are as addictive as morphine, i'm going to reach through my computer and HURT SOMEONE. I get my milk locally, no cows are exploited or hurt in the obtaining of my food. Almost ALL dairy I consume is organic/free range. I think what gets to them more is that i'm a completely unrepentant ex-vegetarian. (I had to quit being vegetarian because I was not eating a healthy vegetarian diet, full of processed fake meat and CRAP utter CRAP. Pretty much, i was subsisting on spaghetti and mac and cheese and i kept getting ill because of it. I now eat vegetarian 75 % of the time now because I'm VERY picky about my meat. )

(no offense to vegans, a lot of the ones that I know are quite militant but a few of em are wonderful, amazing non judgemental people and i'm assuming that FJ vegans are part of the non-judgemental group)

I also hate velveeta. I have texture issues. I made an AMAZING homemade broccoli cheese soup a few weeks back that had nary a trace of velveeta in it. Basically, i just used my recipe for homemade mac and cheese sauce, (basically milk, added to a roux and a lb of cheese) with more milk in it. It was otherworldly in its deliciousness. Definitely a "treat" food but worth the effort.

Tangent, but I have to say a roux in your mac and cheese just sounds wrong. I make mine (when I make it!) with onions and garlic and parsley and thyme (and several other herbs and spices, but who's counting?), and three types of cheese (sharp cheddar for the taste, monterey jack for the meltiness, cream cheese for the richness) and nary a roux in sight.

AND IT IS TO DIE FOR.

Literally once I add in ham. That thing is like heart attack in a skillet. Who needs a roux?

SMUGGAR! Are you reading this? Buy Anna this book: Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite. He curses a lot on tv, but not in the book.

Good for you stuff that tastes AMAZING. You will never want 'chickentti' again, guaranteed.

Tangent, but I have to say a roux in your mac and cheese just sounds wrong. I make mine (when I make it!) with onions and garlic and parsley and thyme (and several other herbs and spices, but who's counting?), and three types of cheese (sharp cheddar for the taste, monterey jack for the meltiness, cream cheese for the richness) and nary a roux in sight.

AND IT IS TO DIE FOR.

Literally once I add in ham. That thing is like heart attack in a skillet. Who needs a roux?

I do! i'm a Jew! can't have ham!

I do the butter and flour, add in the milk and 1-2 cloves of garlic, stir till it thickens , then slowwwwwly add the cheese. Makes a really nice cheesy sauce!!! If I have em, I throw a couple of shallots in .

I make a tuna casserole the Duggars would love.It's got one small jar of a mayo,half container a sour cream,1 pound of cheddar,1 big can of cream of Mushroom,peas,onions, 2 large cans tuna and mushrooms mixed with egg noodles. Won't eat Velveeta though.

I can my own chicken. Nothing in it but chicken. Seriously. You stuff raw chicken in a jar, and process it in a pressure canner. This way I can raise my own chickens, take them to be processed all at once and not totally stuff my freezer to it's limits.

I can my own chicken. Nothing in it but chicken. Seriously. You stuff raw chicken in a jar, and process it in a pressure canner. This way I can raise my own chickens, take them to be processed all at once and not totally stuff my freezer to it's limits.

Does the pressure canner cook it? This intrigues me! I'm planning on getting a pressure canner before next summer and the thought of being able to preserve meat is cool! (I was going to use it for meaty spaghetti sauces but w/ the meat already cooked)

Chicken in a can should never be compared with home canned chicken. Home canned chicken is real food. I still can tuna every year and if I help with a chicken slaughter I'll always put up a couple of jars of chicken, some spiced with fried garlic and shallots, or lemon zest, or bunches of fresh sage.

So make it without the ham, or, I guess, any other sort of meat. (Do they make hammy tofu?) The roux just decreases the proportion of cheese in the sauce. Less cheese = no good.

But we should totally have a cook-off one day.

Chicken in a can should never be compared with home canned chicken. Home canned chicken is real food. I still can tuna every year and if I help with a chicken slaughter I'll always put up a couple of jars of chicken, some spiced with fried garlic and shallots, or lemon zest, or bunches of fresh sage.

You're making me drool.

Does the pressure canner cook it? This intrigues me! I'm planning on getting a pressure canner before next summer and the thought of being able to preserve meat is cool! (I was going to use it for meaty spaghetti sauces but w/ the meat already cooked)

Yes, you can also can it already cooked, but you have to add some water or broth. (I do mostly broth with a little cooked meat to dump out and simmer with rice for soups too.) It isn't as pretty when you don't precook it, but it is easier and the meat doesn't fall apart as much. It is really good for older chickens that might be a little tough. (which is what the commercial canneries mostly use- old laying hens.)

Yes, it has a lot more flavor. Same with home canned chicken stock.

Conuly, canning grocery store chicken produces muck. Fresh hens when canned still have fantastic texture for egg rolls, chicken salad, and enchiladas.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

ShareThis

7 lbs. frozen broccoli

2 lbs. Velveeta™

1 quart sweet whipping cream

enough water to cook broccoli

1 c. cornstarch w/ cold water to thicken after hot

Cook broccoli first. Add Velveeta™ & whipping cream.

Add corn starch to thicken. Enjoy!

Oh, sweet Jesus! 2 lbs of velveeta will kill a fmaily of 19!

Poor Man's Pizzas

ShareThis

Variation #1

20 flour tortillas

1 jar spaghetti sauce

4 c. shredded cheddar cheese (or mexican blend)

Spread spaghetti sauce on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Warm on plate in microwave for 1 min.

Wow, they cook like hungry stoners!

This made me gag.

Archived