IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Cost? I prefer to use vanilla beans, because I like seeing the little black specks at work, but I'm also really lazy so use extract sometimes. That stuff is almost as expensive as buying the beans in bulk. Essence is about a fifth of the price.

Of all things and places Costco Kirkland brand real vanilla extract is very reasonable. Granted it's a huge bottle but I don't think vanilla extract goes bad.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I LOVE ketchup, but holy crap, using that and what looked like eight ounces of butter as the entire sauce? Canned tomato sauce is cheap and doesn't contain the sugar that ketchup does. I mean, sure, you still have to add seasonings to make a serviceable pasta sauce, but it's not like these people appear to be concerned about flavor profile.

It's like a heart attack waiting to start.

Their recipes seem so expensive. Canned beans, canned everything, boxed mixes, and then throw in a can of cream o'whatever soup at some point. Even the mushrooms in their lasagna are canned.

And can anyone tell me why there is a cup of ranch dressing in their taco soup? Sloppy joe sauce made of bottled barbeque sauce with Lipton soup mix thrown in? Even their enchiladas use canned chicken and cream of chicken soup.

OMG. I thought I was going to throw up. I HATE ketchup. I only eat it on hamburgers, and it has to be a very specific amount. That much butter would give me the shits for a whole night. No wonder she coupon hoards so much toilet paper.

Now that I think about it, all of the sketti ingredients are also commonly bought with coupons...

That's not butter. That's Country Crock. That's chemicals and, well, probably more chemicals.

From FoodFacts.com, my new best friend

[link=http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Margarine-/Country-Crock-Churn-Style-Spreadable-Margarine-15-oz/17611]Country Crock[/link]:

Vegetable(s) Oil Blend (Soybean(s) Oil Liquid, Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Cottonseed Oil Hydrogenated) , Water, Whey (Milk) , Salt, Vegetable(s) Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin (Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA Used to protect quality) , Citric Acid, Flavor(s) Artificial, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene color(s)

[link=http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Tomato-Ketchup/Heinz-Squeeze-Bottle-Tomato-Ketchup-20-oz/30701]Ketchup[/link]

Tomato(es) Concentrate Made From, Tomato(es) Ripe, Vinegar Distilled, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spice(s), Onion(s) Powder, Flavoring Natural

Just to get the full horror of it all.

I believe the Duggars were never educated on healthy cooking or buying fresh. It's probably hard to make meals from scratch anyway given their large number. The cost of fresh produce also makes processed stuff enticing. Then there's the lack of nutrition education, which, given their ignorance of so much other things, is not surprising. I particularly hate how the Duggars (and the general American public) treats eating vegetables like eating medicine. I love my veggies. I feel unwell if I don't get a daily, large dose of it. But even my hubby, who comes from an educated household and is a DOCTOR treats his veggies like castor oil. I guess it stems from eating not enough fresh produce as a child, you just can't acquire a taste for it as an adult. How sad that the Duggars are raising their hoard of children to think food is from a can and it has to have a weeks' worth of sodium and fat in order to be filling. These kids will hope Obamacare is still around in about 40 years because they'll all end up with diabetes and hypertension the way they're eating!

Gross....shudder...

Even the layered "salad" only contains half to one head of lettuce and a small onion. Tons of cheese, mayo, turkey and eggs does not a salad make.

The only recipes containing fresh ingredients are the apple desserts and the token bits of broccoli here and there.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound disparaging of American food, but we really do not eat like this in Ireland. Potatoes and veg are staple even in the poorest, least adventurous homes. You just cannot buy things like canned green beans or canned chicken here. Canned meat is what you feed your dog. WTF is rotel?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound disparaging of American food, but we really do not eat like this in Ireland. Potatoes and veg are staple even in the poorest, least adventurous homes. You just cannot buy things like canned green beans or canned chicken here. Canned meat is what you feed your dog. WTF is rotel?

I kind of second this, only from a German POV. And I'm the last one to be a food snob. Our version of "Kraft dinner" is called *Miracoli* and I could live on this only. :oops: Still, there are so many (again, American :oops: ) recipes that just gross me out 'cause most of it is so... unhealthy and processed. Getting a little OT here: Everytime I see all that positive comments regarding the Pioneer Woman's recipes (a.k.a. "Oh Ree, your so awezome! Tis recipe so healthy so gonna try that") I want to throw up. That woman can't even make her own chicken stock (which is SO, SO, SO easy) or heaven forbid, add a little baking powder and starch to flour but has to use Bisquick so often it makes me dizzy. Where's the healthy and "from scratch" in that. In my book, a baking mix is not "from scratch". JMHO.

Also the amounts of sugar in American cakes dazzle me. :oops:

Getting off my snobbish horse: I never thought that Americans are generally living unhealthy and unable to cook good stuff. Only lots of recipes astonish me.

A great deal of Americans try to cook differently and are not to be associated with unhealthy crap food, I know that and Free Jinger proves that to me everyday. I also know that in America, fresh produce and fruit are often way more expensive than the cheaper, processed food. That makes me angry. Everyone should be able to buy fresh produce even on a low budget.

Ah.... Canned tomatoes.

Really? I always wondered that after finding out what velveeta was I was too scared to ask. :lol:

YES..with the green beans ...it seems to be a staple Duggar food.

Irishy you can actually get them, I found them in the can aisle. I just think with the fresh type or frozen being more palatable and reasonably priced they are just off the radar. I did (sadly) go looking for some of these things, whilst as you said they are not a common go to food in Ireland (for me Scotland) they do exist.

On an Irish note, my Mother just brought me back some Jacob's Polo biscuits from Dublin...I am utterly depressed they do not make them here :cry: That and good Irish batch bread, not to be had :cry:

Ah yes those coconutty suckers, yum. My favourite are fruit shorties, drool..

When I think of American food, I think of crab and lobster, steak, pancakes, Californian groves filled with oranges and avocadoes... Then I see the duggar shit on a plate and rotten "Italian" slop on man v food. I know, I know, not everyone lives on crap. I really don't want to be offensive. I've seen what happens to those folk on here!

Edited cos I messed up my polo biscuit quote..

OK, I think if your from the UK you don't understand how a lot of Americans use canned tomotoes. These are straight up tomatoes, no sugar added. They are a staple in many homes to make homemade pasta sauce. Also used in soup. Stew. Baked veggies. Food snobbery would be a little misplaced when it comes to canned tomatoes. Tomatoes have a fairly short season in most of the US, and hothouse tomatoes are a joke, not to mention a waste of money. Tomatoes are the ONLY vegetable (actually fruit) that I would recommend people buy canned when they are not in season. For other veggies, if they aren't in season, don't buy them.

The Duggars and their kind are a joke. There is no way your going to have fresh fruits and vegetables when your breeding capacity outstrips your wallet. They also lack even the most basic nutrition knowledge. Fresh fruits and veg are not out of their reach or even exhorbitantly expensive where they are, but they wouldn't know how to make them and they really should have stopped at 3-4 children.

What the Duggars do is not cooking by any stretch of the imagination. It is dump and heat. If they actually knew how to cook, they could eat far better even on a budget. This really chaps my ass about the whole Quiverful movement. So much of their identity is wrapped up in the women being homemakers, and they actually turn out some of the worst homemakers I have ever seen. If you are going to martyr yourself on the altar of marriage and motherhood, at the very least make homeade soup stock and grow as much as your space and climate allow.

Edit to add-OK, people from the UK do understand what canned tomatoes are, and I am obviously failing reading comprehension this morning. I am going to go face the corner with a cup of coffee, and do solemnly swear not to post again until the caffeine is circulating. My apologies. :oops:

Canned tomatoes are a staple in my home. But not eaten straight from the can like Jim Bob ...ugh.

Even Italians prefer to use canned tomatoes for cooking! Hooray for a can of tomatoes, an onion, a clove of garlic and a slosh of good oil.

OK, I think if your from the UK you don't understand how a lot of Americans use canned tomotoes. These are straight up tomatoes, no sugar added. They are a staple in many homes to make homemade pasta sauce. Also used in soup. Stew. Baked veggies. Food snobbery would be a little misplaced when it comes to canned tomatoes. Tomatoes have a fairly short season in most of the US, and hothouse tomatoes are a joke, not to mention a waste of money. Tomatoes are the ONLY vegetable (actually fruit) that I would recommend people buy canned when they are not in season. For other veggies, if they aren't in season, don't buy them.

The Duggars and their kind are a joke. There is no way your going to have fresh fruits and vegetables when your breeding capacity outstrips your wallet. They also lack even the most basic nutrition knowledge. Fresh fruits and veg are not out of their reach or even exhorbitantly expensive where they are, but they wouldn't know how to make them and they really should have stopped at 3-4 children.

What the Duggars do is not cooking by any stretch of the imagination. It is dump and heat. If they actually knew how to cook, they could eat far better even on a budget. This really chaps my ass about the whole Quiverful movement. So much of their identity is wrapped up in the women being homemakers, and they actually turn out some of the worst homemakers I have ever seen. If you are going to martyr yourself on the altar of marriage and motherhood, at the very least make homeade soup stock and grow as much as your space and climate allow.

I think it was the name 'Rotel' rather than it being tinned tomatoes. My cupboard is full of them. It is as much used here as in the US..although fresh is great as is Pasata. Sadly there is not always enough time in the day to peel tomatoes..or that is my excuse.

My experience of American food has always been amazing..some of the best beef I've ever eaten. Seafood. Amazing salads...and why yes it is the home of the BURGER ..seriously who does not love a good burger? I would imagine though if the only reference somebody had was TV shows like Man V Food and the lovely Duggar wholesome recipes it would not look so good :lol:

I live in a land that invented the deep fried Mars bar. :D

I want to try a clootie dumpling (inspired by James on the bake off) and the most amazing fish comes from Scotland.. And bread, and biccies lamb etc etc ad infinitum...

I want to try a clootie dumpling (inspired by James on the bake off) and the most amazing fish comes from Scotland.. And bread, and biccies lamb etc etc ad infinitum...

Clootie is very similar to Christmas pudding just less dense with more ...Hmm you know ..Fruit pudding, the type you fry and have with breakfast.

I'd say one slice could add major tonnage to the hips never mind a whole Clootie. My Mother's friend makes one every year for us.. (My parents are Irish..live in Scotland) Her husband carries it across the road for her... :lol: Yup THAT heavy!

But I'd still you give you a Clootie any day in exchange for a fresh from the oven 'Turnover' loaf :D

I want to try a deep fried Mars bar one day, just to say I tasted one. :D

Hahaha I've not been tempted...I think mainly because every time I see it on the menu they seem to use the same batter and the same frier that they just fried your nice piece of Haddock in :shock:

I mean seriously!

We made deep fried mars bars one night in a restaurant I worked in years ago. Beer batter and all. Still disgusting. They just dont really melt! There are plenty of disgusting things that come out of chip shops. Battered sausages, battered burgers, all deep fried and coat the roof of your mouth in that special cheap frying oil way. Give me their chips soaked in salt and vinegar any night though...yum.

I think Irish and Scottish food v similar. Just tiny differences like batch bread!

The taco soup. Seriously? A bowl full of chunky vomit. For that amount of meat and beans, one poxy onion? I love beans but this recipe just makes me gag. Dressing in soup???

My dad will take an old hot dog roll (or whatever roll he can find) spread it with ketchup, put cheese on it and then top it with salami. Then he sticks it in the toaster oven. He only eats it when he thinks nobody is paying attention to what he is eating, but we all know that he does it and we're all repulsed. Fortunately, he's normally a good cook. (other than enjoying a soft poached egg smashed into wheaties.)

This, minus the salami, was a staple at my high school cafeteria. :?

I kind of second this, only from a German POV. And I'm the last one to be a food snob. Our version of "Kraft dinner" is called *Miracoli* and I could live on this only. :oops: Still, there are so many (again, American :oops: ) recipes that just gross me out 'cause most of it is so... unhealthy and processed. Getting a little OT here: Everytime I see all that positive comments regarding the Pioneer Woman's recipes (a.k.a. "Oh Ree, your so awezome! Tis recipe so healthy so gonna try that") I want to throw up. That woman can't even make her own chicken stock (which is SO, SO, SO easy) or heaven forbid, add a little baking powder and starch to flour but has to use Bisquick so often it makes me dizzy. Where's the healthy and "from scratch" in that. In my book, a baking mix is not "from scratch". JMHO.

Also the amounts of sugar in American cakes dazzle me. :oops:

Getting off my snobbish horse: I never thought that Americans are generally living unhealthy and unable to cook good stuff. Only lots of recipes astonish me.

A great deal of Americans try to cook differently and are not to be associated with unhealthy crap food, I know that and Free Jinger proves that to me everyday. I also know that in America, fresh produce and fruit are often way more expensive than the cheaper, processed food. That makes me angry. Everyone should be able to buy fresh produce even on a low budget.

I was raised on canned green beans and carrot and peas. I think many still do eat canned green beans (I think that's a staple in my region in France). My mom switched to frozen about 8 years ago.

I found that I did develop a taste for veggies as an adult, and now I need my veggies for my meals.

I think it was the name 'Rotel' rather than it being tinned tomatoes.

Rotel is diced tomatoes and green chiles. It comes in mild, regular, and hot spice levels. I use it in soups and dips.

The funny thing is that Gothard used to offer a nutrition/cooking/meal planning course that teaches you how to cook wholesome meals for large families. He also used to sell vegan cookbooks that were written by sisters from a large family. And he was really, really big on making whole wheat bread from scratch. I guess the Duggars skipped that part of ATI.

Archived