IGNORED

Josh's Instagram

chiccy

That's good to know. Because most of the time I worry that I'm boring my friends while prattling on about history. And while my friends might get bored, at least I know that some people appreciate it. :D

History is awesome- and I am geekin' proud of it

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a small (one page) paper on Soviet nostalgia in Russia. Many young people are very nostalgic for Soviet times and glamorize them without any real nod toward the atrocities that occurred. It's kind of the same thing as Confederate things being glamorized in the South, or thug life in certain groups.

I did a small (one page) paper on Soviet nostalgia in Russia. Many young people are very nostalgic for Soviet times and glamorize them without any real nod toward the atrocities that occurred. It's kind of the same thing as Confederate things being glamorized in the South, or thug life in certain groups.

I lived in Ukraine for awhile and can confirm this phenomenon for that country as well. A good portion of Ukraine is very nostalgic for the Soviet era, and purposely ignorant of all the horrible things that happened under them.

emmiedahl wrote:

Is holocaust always a proper noun referring to a single historical incident, or can it by nature be used for other, similar events?

I'm just wondering. I am a linguistics nerd.

Good question, I wonder too. If it's capitalized I would guess it refers only to the WWII event. If not capitalized it could refer to other events.

For what it's worth, my great-grandparents were survivors of the Armenian genocide. We never referred to it as a holocaust, just as "the genocide" or (in the case of my great-aunts, who were being weird), the "unfortunate incident."

I do wonder about the origin of the word holocaust, though. Because technically it was also a genocide, right?

One of my profs believes that the Ukrainians purposely chose the term Holodomor for the closeness to Holocaust. Holodomor being the term for the Ukrainian famine.

It seems a bit unlikely, since the "holod" part is just the Ukrainian word for famine, but I guess they could have found a different word that didn't bear any resemblance to "holocaust."

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I think the only time I really hear "holocaust" used for something other than the Jewish Holocaust is "nuclear holocaust."

Linguistics geek here:

Holocaust: mid-13c., "sacrifice by fire, burnt offering," from Gk. holokauston "a thing wholly burnt," neut. of holokaustos "burned whole," from holos "whole" (see holo-) + kaustos, verbal adjective of kaiein "to burn." Originally a Bible word for "burnt offerings," given wider sense of "massacre, destruction of a large number of persons" from 1833. The Holocaust "Nazi genocide of European Jews in World War II," first recorded 1957, earlier known in Hebrew as Shoah "catastrophe." The word itself was used in English in reference to Hitler's Jewish policies from 1942, but not as a proper name for them.

So it would actually be correct with the adjective 'nuclear' tagged to it, as a nuclear holocaust would have the same 'burning' But not in Josh's sense, possibly. Although I assume aborted fetuses are incinerated, so yeah, maybe.

That's good to know. Because most of the time I worry that I'm boring my friends while prattling on about history. And while my friends might get bored, at least I know that some people appreciate it. :D

:lol:

Ever have to stifle yourself from interrupting a conversation based on a historical error? Yeah, it's tough. Sometimes, one has to walk away and gnaw on a knuckle rather than inform everyone of how it REALLY was and disrupt the flow. God it's hard!

Glad I'm not alone here.

That might have been what flamed my dislike for Duggars and fundies, the really messed up history they teach their kids at home.

looks like smuggar is getting "americar" back instagr.am/p/ZZHCX/ heres the comment

championnwa

Yes, finally bought it! Almost ready...rezoning it with the city (#stinks) have the "taco" lot under contract to sell! Getting this one setup right this time! #finally

TTC and chickenetti look actually quite nutritious and healthy compared with these lunches Smuggar has consumed: instagr.am/p/HZofo/ & instagr.am/p/GZG-_/

The last one looks especially gross to me... what IS that anyway?? Deep fried dough?

I am a bit overweight myself and therefore I'm not mocking Josh's weight gain - I know it's damn hard to change your dietary habits. But what I'm astonished about is the number of photos of (fast) food he has on his Instagram. What kind of a person takes photos of hamburger joints and fast food menus and drive-thru-lanes and loads them in the internet for all the world to see?

I remember him to be _very_ slim in the Tinker Toy House -special years ago. Maybe he never had enough food when growing up, leaving him hungry each night. He may have had enough to eat but not enough nutrients (TTC, anyone?) and that left him hungry. Now that he is his own boss he can and will buy the food he craved while living under Jim Bob's roof. And that shows like he said himself in the latter photo (at least he has some sense of humour).

What I'm trying to say is that I find it very odd to have so many and weird photos of food on your random picture site. To me, that sounds like an obsession and eating disorder of some kind.

Hopefully he'll keep eating until he catches Dickdo Disease- he belly will stick out further than his dick do... Impossible to keep impregnating the Helpmeet if you can't stick it to her in the Missionary Position cause you're too fat!

Am I the only one who made it all the way through his album? Did anyone notice his smartass comments about the trailer pics? HELLO? FATASS! Your fucking WIFE lived in a trailer! Guess where YOU would probably be without your Boob of a Dad whoring your family out to TLC?

Yeah.

TTC and chickenetti look actually quite nutritious and healthy compared with these lunches Smuggar has consumed: instagr.am/p/HZofo/ & instagr.am/p/GZG-_/

The last one looks especially gross to me... what IS that anyway?? Deep fried dough?

Second one is Popeyes fried chicken strips

Looking at his pics just makes me hungry. And I dont normally eat foods like that,so I dont like looking at them because I start to crave them. Brb,finding some defrauding vegetables to grill up. :wink:

Hopefully he'll keep eating until he catches Dickdo Disease- he belly will stick out further than his dick do... Impossible to keep impregnating the Helpmeet if you can't stick it to her in the Missionary Position cause you're too fat!

Am I the only one who made it all the way through his album? Did anyone notice his smartass comments about the trailer pics? HELLO? FATASS! Your fucking WIFE lived in a trailer! Guess where YOU would probably be without your Boob of a Dad whoring your family out to TLC?

Yeah.

And on the second pic, he wrote this little gem:

“Dinner...and a show! (Get it? Ok...If you eat fried foods too much...it'll show!!!)â€

First of all, it's already showing and has been for a long time! Second, if you have to explain your joke, it's not funny.

5mon .sinnersavedbygrace I usually don't comment a bunch because I know you guy's don't know me, but this deserves a big "Amen!" There is so much truth in that statement. Praise God for families like yours that show the world biblical truth! 5mon .

who is the poster, sinnersavedbygrace and why isn't he or she liked? I found this besides the photo about the Holocaust.

web.stagram.com/p/156695932_5173671

I can still see the photos

web.stagram.com/n/championnwa/?npk=410881190_5173671

looks like smuggar is getting "americar" back instagr.am/p/ZZHCX/ heres the comment

championnwa

Yes, finally bought it! Almost ready...rezoning it with the city (#stinks) have the "taco" lot under contract to sell! Getting this one setup right this time! #finally

That looks like JD painting and not smuggar. They're clearly mouring deeply...

That looks like JD painting and not smuggar. They're clearly mouring deeply...

Looks as if Smuggar will have a private office complete with one-way glass. I won't even begin to think about what happens in that office.

Looks as if Smuggar will have a private office complete with one-way glass. I won't even begin to think about what happens in that office.

He'll watch people eat... and eat while watching people eat...

Looking at his pics just makes me hungry. And I dont normally eat foods like that,so I dont like looking at them because I start to crave them. Brb,finding some defrauding vegetables to grill up. :wink:

I'm the same way, though to his credit he has a pic on there of food at TGI Fridays, one of my all-time favorites. I'll give him a thumbs up for that :handgestures-thumbupleft: Aside from that, he's the same ol' Smuggar that literally asks for a good snarking :lol: .

What kind of a person takes photos of hamburger joints and fast food menus and drive-thru-lanes and loads them in the internet for all the world to see?

The kind of person who grew up in a house where grapes and turkey bacon are rationed.

While most of his instagram pictures confirm widely-held suspicions about him, much as I hate to do it, I'm willing to give him a pass on his Jubilee funeral photo/comments. Jubilee was a 16-week fetus conceived long after he left the TTH. Why should he give a shit about the miscarriage, especially when Anna's wasn't subject to the same outpouring of "grief"? It seems to me he would be more relieved that the pregnancy didn't kill Michelle. On instagram he does an insincere genuflect to the gravy train and then moves on to photographing fast food meals.

Edited for typo.

Honestly, I'd think there was something wrong with him if he wasn't pissed off that HIS WIFE got 0 attention when she miscarried. I don't blame him, in a way, for the slightly snide tone to that post. The picture is actual genius, showing them with their hair down in black and white, as it were.

Wonder if he can get a shot of the plumbing line?

THe photos of food make me feel bad for him. I bet that he was never allowed to eat until he was satisfied, so now he has a obsession with food.

Yeah, he was Georgian. Funny fact, if the Tzar Alexander hadn't mandated the teaching of Russian in all the schools in Georgia, to the point that students were beaten for speaking a Georgian word, there would have been no Stalin. He never would have learned Russian to any degree of fluency, never been accepted at a religious Orthodox secondary school, never been able to communicate effectively with Moscovites.

Sorry, I'm a history nerd.

Russia is seeing a resurgence of nationalism that is infecting their protest movement as well. You never used to see Russian celebrations of their victory over Germany in 1945. Now on May 8th, they are everywhere.

Fellow history nerd with another fun, kinda sorta related, fact. Recently heard this on the BBC: if the line of succession would have been granted to women in the early 20. century, Kaiser Wilhelm II would have been on the British throne in 1914.

edited: Sorry, I am not entirely sure if 'line of succession' is the correct English term in this instance, but I think it is?

The kind of person who grew up in a house where grapes and turkey bacon are rationed.

Honestly, I sort of feel sorry for Smuggar about this one aspect of his life. Growing up with food scarcity is a surefire way to make someone develop disordered eating later in life, especially binging. It's fun to tell him to step away from the chicken-etti, but he's having a pretty typical response to long-term food insecurity. Add on top of that his education was a joke so he surely knows very little about nutrition and that he went from having absolutely no freedom to having absolute freedom and power literally overnight, and something like this was almost inevitable.

This also one of the reasons that people who live in poverty have higher rates of obesity than rich people. Not knowing if you'll get enough food today makes you over-react when food is finally available. And it's also why diets have such a high failure rate. If you starve yourself for a year to lose weight, then as soon as you stop you'll be hungrier than you used to be.

Archived