IGNORED

Josh's Instagram

chiccy

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to bed early last night (at 5:30), and there was a huge thunderstorm going on then. It rained lightly off and on yesterday.

Edit: To clarify, I live in the same area as the Duggars. I'm not just randomly commenting on the weather. :lol:

I think his patriarchal superpowers and ability to have sex now have warped Joshie's inner "demon seed" and perhaps it is growing faster due to all the food he continually shovels down his throat....

:lol:

I just saw this one web.stagram.com/p/158313153_5173671 where his comment is, "Hmm, interesting! They didn't mention that the US human population is barely reproducing itself...we should study that, too!" Seriously? Is that whole 7 billion people on earth thing as much of a myth as dinosaurs?

Wait just a minute. The US population is reproducing itself just fine, better than any other Western country. Oh, now I get it. Josh is talking about white US Americans, isn't he. Yes, the population of European descendent white folk is declining in comparison with minorities. That's the way it always works though. Recent immigrants always have more kids.

Is that a distinctive smell coming off Josh? Too much Michael Savage in his diet?

Wait just a minute. The US population is reproducing itself just fine, better than any other Western country. Oh, now I get it. Josh is talking about white US Americans, isn't he. Yes, the population of European descendent white folk is declining in comparison with minorities. That's the way it always works though. Recent immigrants always have more kids.

Is that a distinctive smell coming off Josh? Too much Michael Savage in his diet?

I thought the same damn thing. His whole family is a lot more racist than they realize/let on.

I think his patriarchal superpowers and ability to have sex now have warped Joshie's inner "demon seed" and perhaps it is growing faster due to all the food he continually shovels down his throat....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm pretty sure the majority of his Smuggarness comes from his "ability to have sex now".

I remember a kid from our church going to Cambodia for a mission trip with his grandparents. He came back shell shocked. He had never ever heard of what went on there. I thought it was insane that it was never mentioned to him in school. I guess it's really common though.

Sadly, it IS common. A lot of history classes only get to about WWII and then the teachers run out of time. The farthest my history classes ever got was Vietnam, and we didn't go that in depth into it. The only reason I know anything about the Cambodian genocide or the Armenian genocide is because I read heavily. I really wish my school would have covered these things.

I don't know about that. The genocide in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge I think certainly compares. 2 million dead. Forced labor, starvation, mass graves, humiliation and torture prior to execution all occured under the regime. The propaganda and indoctrination schemes laid out by the goverment rival anything the Nazis did.

Sometimes with all of the historical focus on the Holocaust in WWII, we overlook some of the other genocides that have occurred in the world even in the 20th century.

Yeah, to be honest, even being Jewish, I don't mind other acts of genocide being... well, not compared to the Holocaust, because that sounds like you're giving them a value as one being worse than the other which is just awful, but described as similar to the Holocaust. Like, it sounds like you're saying "What was worse the Holocaust or the genocide in Rwanda? In the Holocaust blah blah blah happened but in the Rwanda genocide blah blah blah happened." Like that's pretty awful. But saying that both were utterly horrific events that attempted to exterminate an entire group is fine with me.

I actually read a book about the creation of the Holocaust museum for a class I took last year and it bothers me somewhat that the survivors who influenced the exhibits were so against displays on the Roma, the handicapped, Polish and Ukrainian intellectuals etc. that compared even remotely to that on the Jews. While I think what happened to the Jews is unique in that it practically obliterated a culture from existence in additional to murdering millions of people and also understand why survivors were uncomfortable sharing representation in a museum about their experiences with those who would have treated them just as badly if given half the chance, it bothers me that they acted like the Jews are unique because they were the only ones who were murdered for who they were rather than what they did, which I think is entirely wrong.

Um, yeah, I'm really sensitive about this issue and I know way too much about it for my own comfort and I care way too much about it, so sorry for blabbering on.

Is holocaust always a proper noun referring to a single historical incident, or can it by nature be used for other, similar events?

I'm just wondering. I am a linguistics nerd.

Is holocaust always a proper noun referring to a single historical incident, or can it by nature be used for other, similar events?

The Holocaust refers to, you know, the Holocaust.

But, since holocaust is a word that exists in other contexts (e.g. nuclear holocaust) I'm sure it could be used for similar events (e.g. the Cambodian genocide was a holocaust). It rarely, if ever, is though. I feel like that was why the word genocide was invented. To describe similar events to the Holocaust.

Also, this is TOTALLY off topic, but I'd love to meet you IRL one day, emmie. For many reasons, but you being a fellow linguistics nerd doesn't hurt.

Good question, I wonder too. If it's capitalized I would guess it refers only to the WWII event. If not capitalized it could refer to other events.

My niece's maternal grandfather was the only survivor in his family. He survived because a Dutch family hid him. The family also saved all the family's photographs, it is very haunting to see photos of Sarah's great grandmother because they look like clones. Sarah has visited Holland and met the family, and has visited the camp where her family died.

edited to try to upload a photo, not working.

One of my profs believes that the Ukrainians purposely chose the term Holodomor for the closeness to Holocaust. Holodomor being the term for the Ukrainian famine. Now the Ukrainian famine being classified as genocide makes me squirm a bit since they weren't the largest affected ethnic group by the famine (they were the third), nor is there evidence that the Soviet government was actively trying to eliminate the Ukrainian population. They were trying to starve everyone into submission. Try and say that in this province and you're all of a sudden pro-Stalin and anti-Ukrainian.

Regardless the famines that the Soviet government inflicted on the population were horrifying. Stalin's entire reign of terror is pretty horrifying in general.

One of my profs believes that the Ukrainians purposely chose the term Holodomor for the closeness to Holocaust. Holodomor being the term for the Ukrainian famine. Now the Ukrainian famine being classified as genocide makes me squirm a bit since they weren't the largest affected ethnic group by the famine (they were the third), nor is there evidence that the Soviet government was actively trying to eliminate the Ukrainian population. They were trying to starve everyone into submission. Try and say that in this province and you're all of a sudden pro-Stalin and anti-Ukrainian.

Regardless the famines that the Soviet government inflicted on the population were horrifying. Stalin's entire reign of terror is pretty horrifying in general.

Stalin was pretty horrifying in general. Talk about a psychopath. Most murderous dictators at least loved their friends and family. Stalin, just... I don't have words.

I find it fascinating because when I lived in Russia he was well regarded by the Russians. Caught them up to the West and all that jazz then thumbed his nose to the west. He was voted the 3rd greatest Russian back in 2008.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28411205/#.TurWoNXNmCc

Also fascinating is that a lot of Russian history textbooks omit the reign of terror completely, calling him an efficient manager.

I find it fascinating because when I lived in Russia he was well regarded by the Russians. Caught them up to the West and all that jazz then thumbed his nose to the west. He was voted the 3rd greatest Russian back in 2008.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28411205/#.TurWoNXNmCc

Also fascinating is that a lot of Russian history textbooks omit the reign of terror completely, calling him an efficient manager.

Yeah, I actually read a book my senior year in high school by a guy who traveled down the Lena River in Siberia and everyone, even people in town where people were murdered during the reign of terror were going on about how great things were when Stalin was in charge. It's pretty fucked up.

Also, he wasn't even Russian. So, uh, yeah...

Good question, I wonder too. If it's capitalized I would guess it refers only to the WWII event. If not capitalized it could refer to other events.

My niece's maternal grandfather was the only survivor in his family. He survived because a Dutch family hid him. The family also saved all the family's photographs, it is very haunting to see photos of Sarah's great grandmother because they look like clones. Sarah has visited Holland and met the family, and has visited the camp where her family died.

edited to try to upload a photo, not working.

Try using tinypic, that site works pretty well for me.

Yeah, I actually read a book my senior year in high school by a guy who traveled down the Lena River in Siberia and everyone, even people in town where people were murdered during the reign of terror were going on about how great things were when Stalin was in charge. It's pretty fucked up.

Also, he wasn't even Russian. So, uh, yeah...

Yeah, he was Georgian. Funny fact, if the Tzar Alexander hadn't mandated the teaching of Russian in all the schools in Georgia, to the point that students were beaten for speaking a Georgian word, there would have been no Stalin. He never would have learned Russian to any degree of fluency, never been accepted at a religious Orthodox secondary school, never been able to communicate effectively with Moscovites.

Sorry, I'm a history nerd.

Russia is seeing a resurgence of nationalism that is infecting their protest movement as well. You never used to see Russian celebrations of their victory over Germany in 1945. Now on May 8th, they are everywhere.

Yeah, he was Georgian. Funny fact, if the Tzar Alexander hadn't mandated the teaching of Russian in all the schools in Georgia, to the point that students were beaten for speaking a Georgian word, there would have been no Stalin. He never would have learned Russian to any degree of fluency, never been accepted at a religious Orthodox secondary school, never been able to communicate effectively with Moscovites.

Sorry, I'm a history nerd.

Russia is seeing a resurgence of nationalism that is infecting their protest movement as well. You never used to see Russian celebrations of their victory over Germany in 1945. Now on May 8th, they are everywhere.

Being a history nerd is NEVER something to apologize for. I am, too, a history nerd. Who is currently avoiding her history final papers by procrastinating, but as you can see my history nerdiness is never far off, whatever I'm doing.

Being a history nerd is NEVER something to apologize for.

I agree. As a non-history-nerd, I am always grateful to learn something that a history nerd points out to me!

I agree. As a non-history-nerd, I am always grateful to learn something that a history nerd points out to me!

That's good to know. Because most of the time I worry that I'm boring my friends while prattling on about history. And while my friends might get bored, at least I know that some people appreciate it. :D

Guest Anonymous

That's good to know. Because most of the time I worry that I'm boring my friends while prattling on about history. And while my friends might get bored, at least I know that some people appreciate it. :D

Trust me, it's not wasted on us.

Archived