IGNORED

People is reporting that Michelle Duggar miscarried MERGED

MerryHappy

Do regular people really do that, or just wacko fundies?

In the Jewish religion, we do not have funerals for miscarried fetuses.

An unborn fetus in Jewish law is not considered a person (Heb. nefesh, lit. “soulâ€) until it has been born. The fetus is regarded as a part of the mother’s body and not a separate being until it begins to egress from the womb during parturition (childbirth). In fact, until forty days after conception, the fertilized egg is considered as “mere fluid.â€

I had nightmares for years as a kid over some "baby in a jar" I saw in a book or a movie once. If my parents had done what Santorum did when my mother miscarried, it would have severely freaked me out.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do regular people really do that, or just wacko fundies?

In the Jewish religion, we do not have funerals for miscarried fetuses.

An unborn fetus in Jewish law is not considered a person (Heb. nefesh, lit. “soulâ€) until it has been born. The fetus is regarded as a part of the mother’s body and not a separate being until it begins to egress from the womb during parturition (childbirth). In fact, until forty days after conception, the fertilized egg is considered as “mere fluid.â€

I think it is becoming more and more popular as a practice by christians. There are a few web sites that have pages and pages of photos of dead babies and fetuses. Some of them have mini web pages and parents stories. I would spend time on those sites and noticed that it was very popular for folks to play pass the fetus to siblings, have family over to 'meet' the child.

I've studied death and grief for more than a few years, and worked as a spiritual midwife to the dying for 30 years. I don't agree with playing pass the fetus, and think many times parents do not consider younger siblings and their feelings. But in their culture it is ok. I don't need to agree with it, nor can I understand the web pages with the photos of something I feel is a very private matter.

Its their choice to play it out in the public eye, these folks are media whores.

Oh, I understand that. It would still suck though. Will it make them less media whore-y? I dunno.

I don't think there will be a Today Show appearance. The Today Show just announced the miscarriage, basically republishing the People article.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45603597/ns/today-today_health/t/report-michelle-duggar-miscarries/#.TuE-O2Mk6nA

TFP. I wouldn't rule out a Today Show appearance though... they might fly into NY to talk about it (just the 2 of them) when Michelle feels up to it. I hope there wouldn't be a group house thing though.

TFP. I wouldn't rule out a Today Show appearance though... they might fly into NY to talk about it (just the 2 of them) when Michelle feels up to it. I hope there wouldn't be a group house thing though.

I'm also not ruling out a Today Show appearance. I can see it happening in week or two. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is a group house thing either.

My mother miscarried with a child before me at 25 weeks. It was a horrible experience for both my parents. She had to have natural delivery. They did choose to see the baby afterward but didn't hold it or take any pictures. My mother always said she was glad to get to see the baby but just couldn't handle anything else. Luckily because she was advanced maternal age she and my father had not annouced they were pregnant so she didn't have to explain what happened to anyone. Terrible experience. They never had a funeral or anything, but then again my parents are very private people.

Thanks. :( She probably had to have a D&C... that's standard for this situation I think.

It depends on how far along she was actually. It is unlikely, but possible that when the fetus died she was so far along she will have to deliver.

:( Even though I don't agree with the Duggars having so many kids, I do feel bad for MIchelle. I would NEVER wish a miscarriage on someone.

I'm also not ruling out a Today Show appearance. I can see it happening in week or two. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is a group house thing either.

Ugh yeah.. you're probably right. Jill miked in the front row explaining how they're all adjusting to it, then Josh saying that the M's will have other uncles and aunts to play with.

No matter who it is, I wouldn't wish that experiance on anyone. I feel for the family.

Guest Anonymous

In the UK, we use the term 'miscarriage' until 23 weeks, but from 24 weeks a baby that dies in the womb is considered to be 'stillborn' and it is becoming fairly usual for the family to spend time with the body, to have hand and footprints taken, and photographs. It is not particularly a religious thing, just a help to cope with the grief of the loss. Some of the services are offered by the NHS and some by charities. A friend of mine lost her little boy at 5 or 6 months and she gets a lot of comfort from having a 'memory box' and having had her mum there and some other family when they said goodbye to him. It helps to validate her feelings of sadness even now, years later, when the anniversary of his death comes around and few people in her current circle know very much about him.

This happened to me at 16 weeks - went in for a routine ultrasound and no heartbeat was detected. I then spent 3 days going in for daily bloodwork to confirm hcg levels. After 3 days of bloodwork, I had another ultrasound and then was admitted to the hospital.

The technical word for the procedure I had was a D & E, the fetus was estimated to have demised at 14-15 weeks gestation. I was taken to the OR and sedated - I woke up in recovery.

One of the saddest eperiences of my life.

I'm sorry that she lost the baby. No one should have to go through that. But I really hope that she doesn't try again. The next pregnancy could kill her and those children would be without a mother. I hope she comes to understand that God does not want people to be careless with their health. This is no different from not taking medicine for something that can kill you, and leaving it up to God instead. That is just careless.

I believe you usually start to feel the baby move at around 17weeks? And I think Michelle was at least 20weeks along. For a woman who had been pregnant so many times I suspect she would have worried if she hadnt felt movement at all so this leads me to believe its likely the baby was not dead for that long.

To those posting saying they are glad this happened and such things......that is a HORRIBLE DISGUSTING thing to say about anyone even your own worst enemy. Things like this happen everyday and often to young healthy women also. This family have a strong faith and trust in god to guide them which I think is very admirable.

As for the announcements so soon. Isnt there a chance that people may have been doing an article about the pregnancy and sex of the baby? Also the duggars are very well known and other people at the hospital could easily have seen them go in so excited and come out devastated. The truth is if Jim Bob and People didnt make an announcement quick I bet we would still have heard about it by the end of the day

The Duggars are always say their family planning is "leave it up to God". God didn't want this baby to be #20, to blame Josiah or Michelle or anyone or any thing would be incredibly hypocritical, even for parents that claim to raise their kids yet don't dress or feed them (that's what buddies are for).

Of course there will be a funeral, and TLC will film it. When the show makes the channel guide listings there might be enough of a public outcry to get it yanked, but until then the execs at TLC will be excited about the potential ratings for this very special episode.

I'm not happy that Michelle has to go through this, but I am happy that they didn't keep this one alive on tubes in hopes of another Josie. Nature knew the fetus was defective and took action, what would have been baby #20 is better off never suffering.

I think the trend of having formal funerals for miscarriages goes hand-in-hand with so many people proclaiming "life begins at conception". If you believe aborting a 3 week old fetus is equal to killing a 3 year old child, then you have to give the fetus the same death rites.

I believe you usually start to feel the baby move at around 17weeks? And I think Michelle was at least 20weeks along. For a woman who had been pregnant so many times I suspect she would have worried if she hadnt felt movement at all so this leads me to believe its likely the baby was not dead for that long.

To those posting saying they are glad this happened and such things......that is a HORRIBLE DISGUSTING thing to say about anyone even your own worst enemy. Things like this happen everyday and often to young healthy women also. This family have a strong faith and trust in god to guide them which I think is very admirable.

As for the announcements so soon. Isnt there a chance that people may have been doing an article about the pregnancy and sex of the baby? Also the duggars are very well known and other people at the hospital could easily have seen them go in so excited and come out devastated. The truth is if Jim Bob and People didnt make an announcement quick I bet we would still have heard about it by the end of the day

Yes, but then it would be a rumor which is what more klassy than calling up people.

I (and most here) do not admire their faith or their trust in an asshole god. If you didn't notice this is a snark board.

Does anyone else remember Rick Santorum's miscarried baby story?

Santorum wrapped the dead fetus in a blanket, took it out of the hospital, and spent several hours kissing and cuddling Gabriel [the fetus] with his three siblings. They took photos, sang lullabies in his ear and held a private Mass.

No mention of baby Gabriel Santorum's mom in the process...Yup, they only see women as human incubators. Oh, and "Santorum" always remind me of Dan Savage.

Breathe, hon. We might not be the droids you are looking for, just with a glance to your username. We can say anything we damn well please, here, kind or not. I mean, you're welcome to say it, I just think The Cheese Stands Alone (and unlocked).

I feel awful for her; I would not wish that experience on any woman, not even one with less maternal instinct than a cat.

This isn't Madonna; I'm sure not too many people at the local OB's office in Arkansas would be calling up TMZ if Michelle Duggar looked sad as she left the building. I'm sure the camera crew, who was probably with her, told TLC, TLC told People, and the Duggars issued a statement. They've chosen to put their lives on display in a reality show, and as a result, they need to make announcements like this quickly even in sad situations. It might make it harder for them, but they've set the stage for it with their previous choices.

Archived