IGNORED

People is reporting that Michelle Duggar miscarried MERGED

MerryHappy

I'm appalled that they would broadcast such sad news for the family in a rag like People. I'm sorry for their loss, but using this event as publicity is just wrong. Knowing the Duggars they will milk this event for a few more episodes, or at least until she's preggers again.

Having kids is their income source, so of course they will use the miscarriage to do the same; the kid had a purpose from day one: attention and money.

I don't celebrate the miscarriage, but I don't care about it any more than I would a birth. They know the risks. Everyone does. It's not a joyful outcome, but it is an entirely possible one none the less and not the least bit surprising given her age, most recent pregnancy issues, and the fact that her body has nourished and carried 19 times in the past.

I can't find any sympathy. Again, no happiness, but no sympathy either.

They chose to make it 'news'. They know what they're doing.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her other miscarriage was a newsflash from God that teh ebil birth control was not okay with him. So what will they say this one means?

Her other miscarriage was a newsflash from God that teh ebil birth control was not okay with him. So what will they say this one means?

Publicly? "A Season of Life has come and gone, and at least we had little Juststopit with us for 5 months. God chose to bring him home early!"

Privately, it was totally one of the Duggar spawn "sinning".

Seriously. I'll be interested to see what kind of fundie rationale they come up with this.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for the parents. The kids? Yes. They didn't set themselves up for this. But J'Bob and Michelle DID. they've basically been playing Russian Roulette with Michelle's womb.

If that makes me a terrible person, I'm okay with that.

I really appreciate everyone who offered me supportive messages about my recent miscarriage. I know that I have very messy emotions about it, and you guys are so compassionate. I want to let you know that it meant a lot. Thank you. :romance-heartsthree:

Also, to everyone who has shared your pregnancy loss stories... I'm so sorry. I think our culture doesn't really recognize what we're going through, but it's very real and it's very painful. I wish you all so much love and healing. :romance-grouphug:

I have a hard time feeling sorry for the parents. The kids? Yes. They didn't set themselves up for this. But J'Bob and Michelle DID. they've basically been playing Russian Roulette with Michelle's womb.

If that makes me a terrible person, I'm okay with that.

The little kids might be upset and confused, but I'd bet the range of emotions of the older ones starts with "oh, that's sad" and goes all the way to "Praise the Lord!"

Josiah's reaction is proof they knew things could go very wrong this time, and they're probably just glad their mother is well.

I think the trend of having formal funerals for miscarriages goes hand-in-hand with so many people proclaiming "life begins at conception". If you believe aborting a 3 week old fetus is equal to killing a 3 year old child, then you have to give the fetus the same death rites.
I don't watch the Duggars' show but I suspect they will have some sort of rite on the show, or at least discussion of it, for this exact reason. As painful as it is, it's an opportunity to remind people of that message.

As for the "no funeral for Jewish miscarriage" I have to admit one of the saddest blogs I've read is written by a religious woman who lost a baby during a too-early childbirth, really (so it might have ended up a preemie, if only...) and the not knowing, and not having a grave (or more precisely, not knowing where in Jerusalem the common grave is), has really caused immense pain, but she is very religious so accepts it. I am childless by choice myself and it's hard for ME to read, I just cannot imagine. :(

My sympathies to Michelle, and the others in the thread who have gone through this.

Actually no relation or friend of the Duggar family. And I'm not a fundie...hell I'm not even American or a member of any church.

I get that you all dont agree with everything the Duggar's do and thats absolutely fine and that this is a snark forum but when something tragic like this has literally just happened?? Save the judgement and the snark for another day.

Fuck you, rug shitter.

Seriously. I'll be interested to see what kind of fundie rationale they come up with this.

I bet it will be really subtle and awful. They will call a family meeting and say how sad they are, but that God is in control blah blah and then at the end mention that everyone should "examine their hearts." or some such. Josiah will know from years of conditioning that this comment is meant fo him. He will be consumed by guilt and he will eventually "confess" to one of his parents that he wasn't 100% thrilled by the pregnancy. Instead of assuring him that he had NOTHING to do with the miscarriage, Boob will, again very subtly, give Josiah the message that this is indeed his fault. There will be lots of "The Lord is in control" and "we all sin" but the message will be "you caused this."

Poor, poor kid.

If Michelle is able to conceive, we'll hear about it in another "announcement".

That made me think, do you think that they'll make a bloody announcement out of the whole thing. I mean, the crew follows them around 24/7. I swear if they do that.

Do you think the camera crew went along for the announcement of the jender of the baby? And if so, do you think they filmed the doctor telling them there was no heartbeat? I hope that there won't be an upcoming very special episode about this.

I would just throw a word of caution in here that a lot of people on this board ( myself included), have lost babies to miscarriage or stillbirth. While we may not all agree on when life begins, for a lot of women their heart dies a little with a miscarriage, no matter how early. Perhaps the mods could post a sensitive topic header?

Do you think the camera crew went along for the announcement of the jender of the baby? And if so, do you think they filmed the doctor telling them there was no heartbeat? I hope that there won't be an upcoming very special episode about this.

I would hope that the doctors asked for privacy before giving them the news. They probably realized immediately upon starting the u/s that something was wrong and I think most decent docs would ask the film crew to leave.

I would hope that the doctors asked for privacy before giving them the news. They probably realized immediately upon starting the u/s that something was wrong and I think most decent docs would ask the film crew to leave.

Ok, but this is the Duggars. We saw Grandpa's wake. I'm sure they stayed in there.

Guest Anonymous
I would just throw a word of caution in here that a lot of people on this board ( myself included), have lost babies to miscarriage or stillbirth. While we may not all agree on when life begins, for a lot of women their heart dies a little with a miscarriage, no matter how early. Perhaps the mods could post a sensitive topic header?

I'm sorry for your loss, and the losses of everyone who has posted here. It sucks and it's not fair.

That said, the current thread title should let everyone know that there will be discussion of miscarriage within.

I have a feeling that this was all part of contract negotiations. How ever it was and will be handled was decided a long time ago when the Duggars decided to market their 20th pregnancy.

I read this comment from E! as very passive aggressive, thanks to being a member here. Mostly the part about cherished as much as they cherish their other children.

A truly sad day for the Duggars... While it is true that the risk of this pregnancy was high due to her age, it doesn't take away from the fact that she lost a child that would undoubtedly have been cherished as much as she and her husband cherish their other children.

In all seriousness, miscarriages are sad but she knew there was more than a 50% chance that this baby would not be ok. With those odds, she was risking a lot if they were trying to get pregnant, and I hope she considers everything she's putting her children through with this, Josie's birth and then their children having to raise their other children... they need to take a good hard look at their lives and I can only hope they are doing so.

I read this comment from E! as very passive aggressive, thanks to being a member here. Mostly the part about cherished as much as they cherish their other children.

In all seriousness, miscarriages are sad but she knew there was more than a 50% chance that this baby would not be ok. With those odds, she was risking a lot if they were trying to get pregnant, and I hope she considers everything she's putting her children through with this, Josie's birth and then their children having to raise their other children... they need to take a good hard look at their lives and I can only hope they are doing so.

All they care about is fame. It makes me sick.

Yes, but there are sOme harsh words being said that honestly, you might not think is harsh until you read it. Not the miscarriage part, but the "why do people kiss a dead baby- ew" kind of thing. Or making fun of others who hold funerals, or who say it's creepy to "carry a dead baby inside you". Like, you can have your opinions, but if you don't expect that kind of thing, it can be jarring to say the least.

Just saw it on msnbc, of course it was just a small line 1/2 way down the page and not a huge announcement. Says they went in for the gender u/s and couldn't find a heartbeat.

Yes, but there are sOme harsh words being said that honestly, you might not think is harsh until you read it. Not the miscarriage part, but the "why do people kiss a dead baby- ew" kind of thing. Or making fun of others who hold funerals, or who say it's creepy to "carry a dead baby inside you". Like, you can have your opinions, but if you don't expect that kind of thing, it can be jarring to say the least.

Are you lost?

I've lurked here a bit and watched the show off and on while it has been on. I'm wondering what Josiah did that would cause them to blame this miscarriage on him?

Maybe someone can convince them that being on television caused it?

Archived