IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 46: Living with the Fallout

Coconut Flan

I am here to make somebody's day.  Various flavors of Tim Tams are available at aussiefoodexpress.com  and they are in the USA

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It looks like he also follows people with the last name Gillie and I think they are from Australia. 

The Gillie sisters are the 2 friends Esther and Sarah Lim have a singing group with.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It looks like he also follows people with the last name Gillie and I think they are from Australia. 

I think they are the other half (of the sisters group).

I did a semi deep dive on them last night and so did my friend who has several mutual friends with them.

I actually liked their music and enjoyed their content and it didn't immediately scream fundie. My friend who used to be in that circle was very surprised to see Santa in one of their video clips. 

She got the sense it was Sarah because, Sarah's Facebook was locked down harder than Esther's. 

I also spotted that Sarah dabbles in Photography and that she did the photo shoot for her brothers engagement and there was kissing and what could be alcohol, though I did not look closely could be non alcoholic sparkly. Truth be told the alcohol surprised me more than the kissing.

9 hours ago, Longhairedheathen said:

Dear Australia govt, 

Please approve ours. We have skills and we're non-religious. 

signed a very Tired Texan 

We've been trying to immigrate to Australia because of the violence here and laws. 

Ok Ill get some gathers down here and we ride for Canberra at dawn to protest for you '

Maybe get a church to sponsor you my friends local Baptist church just got a new Nashville fundie family of missionary's over to immigrate to Australia to plant a new church.... but they wont let you in.. sigh 

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1

On 8/14/2023 at 9:47 AM, SoSoNosy said:

I am here to make somebody's day.  Various flavors of Tim Tams are available at aussiefoodexpress.com  and they are in the USA

Also, Trader Joe's has their own version of Tim Tams called Aussie Style Chocolate Creme Sandwich Cookies. I don't know how near they are to the original but if you happen to have a Trader Joe's near you it might prove to be a quick fix and at $2.49 US dollars, it could be worth a try.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

James is at a hot springs. I bet the Lims wear regular one piece bathing suits. I just can’t imagine Australian fundies wearing wholesome wear. Australians seem too sensible with swimming and swimming attire. But I could be wrong. I’ve never been to Australia. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

James is at a hot springs. I bet the Lims wear regular one piece bathing suits. I just can’t imagine Australian fundies wearing wholesome wear. Australians seem too sensible with swimming and swimming attire. But I could be wrong. I’ve never been to Australia. 

the one thing about Australia is that we don't really need wholesome wear because we have (even though some don't listen to it) been raised super sun aware. Our version of wholesome wear could be for them, long sleeve rash shirts and board shorts or shorter swim shorts. Any person could wear this in Australia and it would be considered normal swim wear, as would be one piece or a bikini 

The stuff fundies wear in the USA the real daggy stuff (not the stuff Jill advertised once) would be considered odd. And dangerous and we only wear clothes to swim if we feel in or were really desperately hot for a swim and forgot our cosies.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

We’ve family in Australia and they all wear board shorts and rash guards to the beach/swimming. One of the girls has a little bikini and wears it with a long cover up and a huge hat, she ends up covering more than if she just wore the shorts and SPF shirt.

They live by the mantra: Slip, Slap, Slop

Slip on a shirt 

Slap on a hat 

Slop on the sunscreen 

We love visiting them in their winter but I don’t want to live through their summers. I don’t think their summers are any worse than we endure, but if I am going to go to the hassle of moving half a world away, I want better weather. 

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

the one thing about Australia is that we don't really need wholesome wear because we have (even though some don't listen to it) been raised super sun aware. Our version of wholesome wear could be for them, long sleeve rash shirts and board shorts or shorter swim shorts. Any person could wear this in Australia and it would be considered normal swim wear, as would be one piece or a bikini 

The stuff fundies wear in the USA the real daggy stuff (not the stuff Jill advertised once) would be considered odd. And dangerous and we only wear clothes to swim if we feel in or were really desperately hot for a swim and forgot our cosies.  

I always figured the wholesome wear getup would be hard to swim in. Like it would drag or weight you down a bit. And I just can’t imagine Australians being ok with that. I’ve always thought it was so weird that fundies didn’t just wear board shorts and rash guards. They wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb and they would be covered. But I guess the Duggars liked standing out. Because JB thought his family was better than everyone else. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

We’ve family in Australia and they all wear board shorts and rash guards to the beach/swimming. One of the girls 

They live by the mantra: Slip, Slap, Slop

Slip on a shirt 

Slap on a hat 

Slop on the sunscreen 

We love visiting them in their winter but I don’t want to live through their summers. I don’t think their summers are any worse than we endure, but if I am going to go to the hassle of moving half a world away, I want better weather. 

Yep that is our original mantra 

You would not find many gen x or millennials that do not know it.

It originated in the 80/90s and became iconic through media and educational blitz

It is still taught today but I am unsure about how widespread it can reach with the loss of adds in tv (aka streaming sites) as tv adds and poster campaigns is the main why I remember it being spread as a child. 

It has evolved over the years and I was surprised to see other Ss added. 

I was like huh???? I can't remember what the updated version is but I think one of the new Ss is for Sunglasses. 

The old saying when you know better do better and they are now aware that sunnies are good for sun protection too 

1 minute ago, ifosterkittens said:

Jinx I was just typing about this as you were. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, Longhairedheathen said:

Dear Australia govt, 

Please approve ours. We have skills and we're non-religious. 

signed a very Tired Texan 

We've been trying to immigrate to Australia because of the violence here and laws. 

If you can deal with the chilly weather, try us (prairie provinces in Canada). Much lower rates of gun violence, free health care, and much less restrictive laws regarding birth control and abortion. 
We sure aren’t perfect but Canada is a pretty safe place to live. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

49 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

If you can deal with the chilly weather, try us (prairie provinces in Canada). Much lower rates of gun violence, free health care, and much less restrictive laws regarding birth control and abortion. 

yeah If I was not Australian the next I would want to be is Canadian, though those hella long winters would kill my life 

But other than that I think society wise they are same same as Australia 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Rash guards are perfect.  I got the idea from Bluey and my daughter did all her water activities in one this summer.  There is so much less skin to worry about.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I was diagnosed with melanoma 21 years ago (thankfully it hadn’t spread). At that time I’d never heard of rash guards. By around 2005/6 I started seeing them and have been buying them ever since. For several years I felt like an oddball because virtually no one wore them. I remember being turned away several times at water slides because they thought I was wearing a shirt instead of a swimsuit.  Now it’s so nice to see so many others wearing them. I love them!!  I get long sleeve ones and people always think they would be hot, but they keep me so cool!  Anytime I start to get hot I just run my arms through some water and I’m instantly cool until it dries again. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I second this. Canada has its problems but it’s one of the best countries in the world. Plus you can choose a province like BC where the winters are more mild (hope you like rain!) or you could choose a prairie province and deal with -40 C weather. 

Just typing that made me so excited for fall/winter. Enough of this summer heat! 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

In 2021,they took my partner and I's jobs off the skilled labor list (Massage and chef). I do have a fondness for Alberta 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, viii said:

Not the love for Alberta! 😭 Alberta is Canada’s Florida LOL

I liken it to Texas because of the oil lol. I loathe Alberta. (I grew up in Manitoba!)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Margarita said:

I liken it to Texas because of the oil lol. I loathe Alberta. (I grew up in Manitoba!)

I agree on the similarity to Texas.  My family went to Alberta a few years ago to Dinosaur Provincial Park and to do some other dinosaur-y things and when we got to the airport in Calgary, the people driving the little carts around were all wearing cowboy hats.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, obiwanfreak said:

I agree on the similarity to Texas.  My family went to Alberta a few years ago to Dinosaur Provincial Park and to do some other dinosaur-y things and when we got to the airport in Calgary, the people driving the little carts around were all wearing cowboy hats.

Lol. When I imagine rural country folks in Canada, I imagine them all in flannel shirts, jeans, and warm hats. Not cowboy hats. But that’s just me assuming it’s much chillier in Canada than the US south and west where a lot of people wear cowboy hats. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Margarita said:

Texas is a good comparison, too. Alberta is definitely the most “redneck” province. (I grew up in Saskatchewan and also loathe Alberta.)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, viii said:

Not the love for Alberta! 😭 Alberta is Canada’s Florida LOL

We have friends that moved there and they said it was easier to assimilate from Texas.  Sadly both our skills are are really best for city with heavy stream tourism and that isn't Alberta.  

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic