IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 46: Living with the Fallout

Coconut Flan

On 8/18/2023 at 5:46 PM, kittykay said:

Similar to another post earlier, I have lived my whole life in Texas. 

Are you going to watch Ken Paxton's impeachment trial? We're out of state currently; otherwise I'd be glued to the proceedings.  It's probably being streamed; might be able to watch on my laptop. 

• Upvote 2

Re:  Paxton Impeachment

WFAA in Dallas where I am will live stream on their app so I sure hope to catch at least some of it.  

What a crook!!

@AussieKrissy At least James isn’t the worst of the lot. It could be JB and Michelle lol. 
I see James the same way I view Timothy Rodrigues; right now they are just spewing other people’s thoughts and parroting what they have been taught. With the right influence, a little time for maturity and separation from their herd, they may move from where they are now to just conservative Christian and not scary, hateful Christian. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

@AussieKrissy At least James isn’t the worst of the lot. It could be JB and Michelle lol. 
I see James the same way I view Timothy Rodrigues; right now they are just spewing other people’s thoughts and parroting what they have been taught. With the right influence, a little time for maturity and separation from their herd, they may move from where they are now to just conservative Christian and not scary, hateful Christian. 

As a recovering Southern Baptist, in my mind I cannot separate conservative Christian from scary hateful Christian. They seem to go hand in hand.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Howl said:

Are you going to watch Ken Paxton's impeachment trial? We're out of state currently; otherwise I'd be glued to the proceedings.  It's probably being streamed; might be able to watch on my laptop. 

I live in NM near El Paso. I feel so bad for all the decent Texans impacted by assholes like Paxton and Abbott.

• Upvote 4

Paxton is also still under indictment on fraud charges in Collin County.  This has never gone to trial but the charges have not been dropped, either.

• Upvote 2

On 9/4/2023 at 1:48 AM, AridityOfHeaven said:

As a recovering Southern Baptist, in my mind I cannot separate conservative Christian from scary hateful Christian. They seem to go hand in hand.

I see it this way, too. My conservative Christian sister in law likes to mention she prays for family members at her kitchen table every morning and will turn around and say she likes Trump. Wtf. HOW. 

I also agree with the perspective of the following letter. I am bewildered at the disconnect in reasoning of those who claim to be Christians yet embrace an ungodly idolatry of Trump. 

IMG_7333.jpeg

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 20

What/who is this cryptic scripture quote from Jason Duggar about/aimed at? 

Screenshot_20230910_212548_edit_23707739226632.thumb.jpg.5b0c0237c0492071a0a26200a2c3dedb.jpg

Screenshot_20230910_212552_edit_23722122358866.thumb.jpg.a13cf612241d10acbc6208857359d140.jpg

Timing is suspicious for him to suddenly become active. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank You 2

Most likely due to my non-religious self, a little to do with being old and tired, but that's a lot of gobbledygook. Is he trying to get on JB's good side because of the upcoming book release? Is he now practicing to be a lay preacher, spouting off stuff like he understands it? Trying to impress a young lady or her father? He is not showing me that he understands what he is talking about. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

18 hours ago, Bobology said:

Most likely due to my non-religious self, a little to do with being old and tired, but that's a lot of gobbledygook. Is he trying to get on JB's good side because of the upcoming book release? Is he now practicing to be a lay preacher, spouting off stuff like he understands it? Trying to impress a young lady or her father? He is not showing me that he understands what he is talking about. 

I actually am religious and it's still gobbledygook.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

54 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

Agreed. I have said for many years that I do not find JB or many of the other people we discuss on FJ to be particularly religious or a role model to what Jesus (as most people we discuss self report as Christian) endorsed or preached. They might post or quote random bible passages, but their lives, actions and statements beyond those bible verses do not match or reflect the recorded actions of Jesus. Moreover, I often see these folks using bible verses as weapons vs in the spirit of love as Jesus commanded.

Look at the difference in the behaviors and words of former POTUS Jimmy Carter, vs JB Duggar, Steve Maxwell, Jill R., or Abbie H. I think most can agree there is a vast difference in lifestyle, attitude, approach, message and outcome.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

22 hours ago, EmiSue said:

I was hoping somebody religious could explain his quotes! No shocker that the Duggar kidults are severely lacking in anything except bible memorization. 

• Upvote 5

I really hope that the point of the law/spirit gobbledygook is that he’s realized that Gothard’s rules are bullshit.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I really hope that the point of the law/spirit gobbledygook is that he’s realized that Gothard’s rules are bullshit.

Me too. I don't follow him so I don't know if he is just James 2.0 in his beliefs/immature behaviour, but he often seemed like a sensitive kid who might as an adult actually find Gothard's rules as bullshit. He also attended Josh's trial and looked sad and shocked, no smiley thumbs up a'la Justin. And isn't he the one who moved to the tree house? Maybe he wanted more privacy and space to try to think for himself. Maybe there's hope for Jason!

• Upvote 9

54 minutes ago, clueliss said:

No. Justin moved to the treehouse.

No, Justin moved in with Claire's parents and then married Claire. Jason got the treehouse.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

The advantage of biblical gobbledygook is people can infer what they want from it so it’s a way to play both sides. 

I do find one of his noted verses interesting. For those who can’t read the small writing Jason as noted Galatians 5:4 as such, “Christ has become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace = cut off from Christ. The underlining and bolding (which symbolizes highlighting) are marks he made while the italicized text is his hand written notes. The hand written note about being fallen from grace and therefore cut off from Christ is reminiscent of Jill being cut off from her family by Jim Bob. 

• Upvote 6

On 9/10/2023 at 10:28 PM, HideousGreenShirt said:

What/who is this cryptic scripture quote from Jason Duggar about/aimed at? 

Screenshot_20230910_212548_edit_23707739226632.thumb.jpg.5b0c0237c0492071a0a26200a2c3dedb.jpg

Screenshot_20230910_212552_edit_23722122358866.thumb.jpg.a13cf612241d10acbc6208857359d140.jpg

Timing is suspicious for him to suddenly become active. 

I find it interesting that Jason equals "law" and "flesh". "Flesh" is, obviously, a term that reliably denotes something bad or weak in Christianese so, by implication, "law" becomes a bad thing, too. He calls it a "curse" which is remarkably strong language.

And that reminds me of Jinger´s main critique of her religious upbringing: the legalism, the belief that if you live by certain very narrow rules you are a good Christian. She was very vocal about the fear that that instilled in her. (I have not read her book but I saw several interviews.)

So I think what Jason is trying to do here is advocate a more intuitive approach to the bible where the Holy Spirit will individually let you know what a certain bible verse is here to tell you in your specific situation of life. That is in stark contrast to the IBLP approach where everything is spelled out in detailed rules that do not need any further intuitive interpretation and that (allegedly) do not have to be adapted any further in order to fit a certain individual situation or personality.

I receive the impression that Jason is on a path of „disentanglement“ and that he is being encouraged by Jinger and, probably, Jeremy.

Admittedly, he is being very vague about it. I think that is because he has also signed something for Jim Bob and is afraid of what will happen if he officially joins the disobedient children.

He is not in a relationship, or is he?

I would not be surprised if at some point he becomes friendly with a girl from Jeremy´s church.

Maybe Jason was the one who asked Jill about a girl and she told him to better stay away from someone who may have been very involved with IBLP.

I saw pictures of Jason at the trial and he appeared to be very moved, similar to Jill or Joy. So it would make sense for him to want to join the "rebel" children. Unfortunately for him, he, unlike Jill or Jinger, does not have a "headship" who would give him permission to do that.

Edited by St.Clara
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:25 AM, AussieKrissy said:

UMMMMM wash your mouth out lol its not a positive for us Aussies, we don't want him

Can't explain the referendum, when it was first announced, I was like "of course, yes" and then the media gets on board and now I am wavering. I am going to have to do some reading to make up my mind.

Basically it is counting first nations in our constitution and giving them an advisory role on issues relating to them. which to me is a no brainer to be yes. But the tin foil hat people are saying there is more and I like to look into things in case there is some credibility to it. 

Fellow Aussie here. What @AussieKrissy said about all of it. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, ChairmanMeow said:

Fellow Aussie here. What @AussieKrissy said about all of it. 

Yep, this is what the Indigenous Voice to Australian Parliament is all about:

‘Basically it is counting first nations in our constitution and giving them an advisory role on issues relating to them. which to me is a no brainer to be yes. But the tin foil hat people are saying there is more. ‘

I’m voting yes. It’s an indigenous group to advise government on Indigenous issues. That’s all it is. Sounds useful and valid to me.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Womble said:

I’m voting yes. It’s an indigenous group to advise government on Indigenous issues. That’s all it is. Sounds useful and valid to me.

I will be too. It has to be better than other people *cough* old rich white men *cough* advising the government on Indigenous issues. 

Some activist friends have said that white people must stay out of Indigenous matters - including this referendum. While I agree, I also think this vote is the way forward to do exactly that.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, St.Clara said:

So I think what Jason is trying to do here is advocate a more intuitive approach to the bible where the Holy Spirit will individually let you know what a certain bible verse is here to tell you in your specific situation of life. That is in stark contrast to the IBLP approach where everything is spelled out in detailed rules that do not need any further intuitive interpretation and that (allegedly) do not have to be adapted any further in order to fit a certain individual situation or personality.

I receive the impression that Jason is on a path of „disentanglement“ and that he is being encouraged by Jinger and, probably, Jeremy.

All his talk about the Holy Spirit struck me this way too. It’s not what you usually see in IBLP (not as easy to control) and made me wonder of he’s going in a more charismatic/Pentecostal theological direction. Still a lot of hateful beliefs in that neighborhood of Christianity but I’d say it’s a better escape route than MacArthur. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic