IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 46: Living with the Fallout

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Margarita said:

I loathe Alberta. (I

My cousins, who are both University professors, in Calgary, would be sad to hear you loathe their province, but bring quintessential Canadians they are too polite to take umbrage. 

Their city tunnels and sky-bridges are awesome at making their winters more tolerable. The public transportation is fantastic. And though I may be slightly biased, their Universities are top notch, too. Plus, Calgary has been named the seventh most livable city, on the planet,  by the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Livability Index 2023.

I also love their zoo. 

• Upvote 10

I have lived my whole life in Alberta. We aren't all rednecks! I thankfully live in a fairly liberal area. So it's not exactly like everything is horrible here. We typically have nice summers with long days. It's hot without being oppressively so. At least where i live, there are no poisonous snakes or really horrible bugs. But yeah our current provincial government are terrible and our premier is completely awful. The only premier who has lasted a full term here for a long time was the left leaning one. So I'm hoping pur current crazy premier will get ousted at some point.  

@Bassett Lady thank you for your support against all the Alberta hate! Wow that was a lot of stereotyping. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

27 minutes ago, Baxter said:

thank you for your support

Any zoo that has high tea and dinosaurs 🦕 has won me over! 

Honestly, we’ve seriously talked about a move to a place which is kinder, more reasonable, and has better weather. Calgary is an interesting option, because we already have family there. Alas, their winters are a hard sell, but the place, as a whole, is lovely. 

• Upvote 4

I’ve found that even the places that people consider the worst tend to have plenty of positives too. West Virginia is thought of as a bad place to live because of the poverty, drugs, and unemployment rates. But I tell you, it’s absolutely gorgeous in West Virginia. Lots of beautiful outdoor activities are available. I can see why people enjoy visiting WV. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

Of course there’s plenty of good in Alberta but they have a strong reputation in Canada for a reason. Sorry not sorry. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Similar to another post earlier, I have lived my whole life in Texas.  I'm almost 70.  Born in Dallas.  Not everyone is a redneck.  It has gotten so much worse since about the 1980's.  I have my own opinions on why that is but will not share those.  There are days that I swear if I had the money I would move to a blue state.  The idiots in Austin have passed everything they could think of to discourage and even prohibit voting.  If I have to crawl over broken glass to vote, I will do it.  I refuse to let them stop me.  Too many women fought and suffered for my right to vote!

BTW, I have visited both AB and BC and enjoyed both.  Canadian Rockies were marvelous and Victoria, BC was fantastic!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

14 hours ago, viii said:

Texas is a good comparison, too. Alberta is definitely the most “redneck” province. (I grew up in Saskatchewan and also loathe Alberta.)

I grew up in Québec, and we hate Alberta too. 😆 But in our case, the whole country kind of hates us back, so it's even I suppose. 

@Baxter Hey, don't worry. It isn't about the people of Alberta. Nothing against anyone as individuals. It's more of a stereotype or sometimes the politics that people have in mind. And as someone who lives in Québec, believe me I know what it's like when politicians make you look bad. 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

On 8/18/2023 at 9:42 AM, AussieKrissy said:

the one thing about Australia is that we don't really need wholesome wear because we have (even though some don't listen to it) been raised super sun aware. Our version of wholesome wear could be for them, long sleeve rash shirts and board shorts or shorter swim shorts. Any person could wear this in Australia and it would be considered normal swim wear, as would be one piece or a bikini 

The stuff fundies wear in the USA the real daggy stuff (not the stuff Jill advertised once) would be considered odd. And dangerous and we only wear clothes to swim if we feel in or were really desperately hot for a swim and forgot our cosies.  

I mean there is the Burkini that was invented in Australia.  Which a) looks to have a shorter skirt than the wholesome wear, b) can meet most Muslim modesty standards, and c) looks to be more sunsmart than the 'wholesome wear. I doubt that most people would blink at someone wearing a full body suit in the pool or at the beach like a Burkini or wetsuit.

• I Agree 1

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve found that even the places that people consider the worst tend to have plenty of positives too. West Virginia is thought of as a bad place to live because of the poverty, drugs, and unemployment rates. But I tell you, it’s absolutely gorgeous in West Virginia. Lots of beautiful outdoor activities are available. I can see why people enjoy visiting WV. 

Definitely agree about West Virginia. I’ve visited many places throughout the state including doing the bridge walk at New River Gorge and taking an underground tour of a coal mine in Beckley (and highly recommend both. Imo, everyone in the U.S. should tour a coal mine to witness first hand how our country was built on the backs of men (and teenagers) spending their lives mining coal in these caves, and see the working conditions and type labor they endured. You hear about it but when you see it first-hand—astounding). Some of my husband’s family are from WV along the Ohio River, also quite beautiful. 

New River Gorge Bridge

IMG_7021.jpeg

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 14
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, kittykay said:

Similar to another post earlier, I have lived my whole life in Texas.  I'm almost 70.  Born in Dallas.  Not everyone is a redneck.  It has gotten so much worse since about the 1980's.  I have my own opinions on why that is but will not share those.  There are days that I swear if I had the money I would move to a blue state.  The idiots in Austin have passed everything they could think of to discourage and even prohibit voting.  If I have to crawl over broken glass to vote, I will do it.  I refuse to let them stop me.  Too many women fought and suffered for my right to vote!

BTW, I have visited both AB and BC and enjoyed both.  Canadian Rockies were marvelous and Victoria, BC was fantastic!

This is how I feel about my state. We just had a very stupid election a few weeks ago that anti choice republicans thought could help them keep abortion access to almost nothing by raising majority vote to 60% (from the standard 50). I went to vote on a hot august day and the line was well out the door! Tons of people showed up for a random election with only one issue on the ballot. I was quite proud of my state in that moment. It was shot down with a good majority. Yes, my state has been idiotic when it comes to politics in the last few years. But I really want to stay and vote against all of these asinine issues republicans are putting on the ballot. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 7

Just returned last week from a 4 day trip to Quebec City and Montreal.  Always enjoy my time in Canada.  I refer to Canada as our "good neighbors to the north".   Have also been to Ottawa and Windsor, Ontario.  As the country capital, Ottawa is the Washington DC of Canada and I highly recommend the National Gallery of Canada if you ever visit.  Fabulous art museum.   Ottawa as a whole is a very nice city to visit-very clean and very friendly people.  

And yes, yes, yes about British Columbia.  Stopped in Victoria BC on our Alaska cruise.  It was absolutely beautiful. Stunning.  

I remember reading that when Quebec was seriously considering succession from Canada, that New Brunswick and the Maritime Provinces were concerned if it actually passed because then they would truly be separated from their country.  So the United States offered to "adopt" them as states/territories since New Brunswick borders Maine.  They politely refused the offer.  No way were they giving up their Canadian socialized medicine!     

• Upvote 6

I'm live near the Toronto area of Southern Ontario, everyone hates us! We have much too much self importance, apparently, it's all about us!😉

Edited by Smoochie
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Smoochie said:

I'm live near the Toronto area of Southern Ontario, everyone hates us! We have much too much self importance, apparently, it's all about us!😉

Same. And yes, everyone hates us. When I visited Alberta, so many people made faces when I said I was from Ontario. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

@JermajestyDuggar You also live in Ohio? (based on your very pithy statement of our recent election)

I lived in Southern Ontario as a kid, and all of these stereotypes are amazing! Watching Letterkenny and Shoresy have been awesome for the deep-cut Canadian jokes. The Quebecois wearing nothing but blue and black! Hahahahaha! 

• Upvote 3

On 8/18/2023 at 6:46 PM, kittykay said:

Hey, I am in college station! Yeah, we have people picketed the voting polls or as they legally call it "Praying at the polls." 

Nothing like 25 old men loudly start when when they hear your a democrat. 

• Upvote 4

The last time I voted in person I had to run a gauntlet of Christians passing out tracts before I could get to park my car.  Of course, they are within their legal rights to pester me!

• Upvote 4

On 8/18/2023 at 7:46 PM, kittykay said:

Your opinion about how/why things have gotten worse in Texas since the 1980s would be of interest if you ever want to share! 

I’ve always found it easy to vote but the rules surrounding what’s allowed on voting day at the polls are less and less enforced. In 2020, a middle-aged Maga Republican guy running for local office had a truck with a big political sign endorsing his re-election parked right beside the polling building (too close, not supposed to be allowed). I complained but it fell on deaf ears. A couple guys sitting with the truck smirked at me when I walked past. I’d voted for the guy years before Maga ever became a thing, but told my husband I never would again. Turns out, no one would ever vote for him after that election—he won the race but lost his life due to Covid two months later. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 7

Now that I am over 65 I can vote by mail without an excuse.  In my county in Texas there are still numerous hoops to jump through for voting by mail and one must be very careful to fill out the ballot EXACTLY as instructed or its discarded.  I am probably paranoid, but I can't stop thinking that my ballot is just shredded as soon as its opened and they see who I am NOT voting for.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Cam said:

Your opinion about how/why things have gotten worse in Texas since the 1980s would be of interest if you ever want to share! 

I’ve always found it easy to vote but the rules surrounding what’s allowed on voting day at the polls are less and less enforced. In 2020, a middle-aged Maga Republican guy running for local office had a truck with a big political sign endorsing his re-election parked right beside the polling building (too close, not supposed to be allowed). I complained but it fell on deaf ears. A couple guys sitting with the truck smirked at me when I walked past. I’d voted for the guy years before Maga ever became a thing, but told my husband I never would again. Turns out, no one would ever vote for him after that election—he won the race but lost his life due to Covid two months later. 

I wonder if he's been profiled on the Herman Cain Awards Reddit page or FB page, or the "Sorry Anti-Vaxxer" website?  I seem to recall local political figures succumbing to COVID being profiled.    

• Upvote 2

I hope there are job prospects or opportunities for James in Australia with his girlfriend's family. I realize they are also fundie, but James would be out from under his father's influence. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I guess there was and IBLP headquarters in Australia at some point. I don’t know if it’s still running. But a guy who worked there said it was more laid back than the headquarters in the US. Which I could easily imagine. 

• Upvote 4

On 8/27/2023 at 4:53 PM, Markie said:

I hope there are job prospects or opportunities for James in Australia with his girlfriend's family. I realize they are also fundie, but James would be out from under his father's influence. 

Does James have a girlfriend in Australia? I don't follow his social media.

Can anyone explain a bit about the upcoming vote in Australia regarding Indigenous rights? I’ve heard bits and pieces but not what the actual vote is entailing. 
If James is still there, I hope that means his relationship is going well and he might stay. Anything that gets any of them away from the compound can only be positive. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:12 PM, Expectopatronus said:

Can anyone explain a bit about the upcoming vote in Australia regarding Indigenous rights? I’ve heard bits and pieces but not what the actual vote is entailing. 
If James is still there, I hope that means his relationship is going well and he might stay. Anything that gets any of them away from the compound can only be positive. 

UMMMMM wash your mouth out lol its not a positive for us Aussies, we don't want him

Can't explain the referendum, when it was first announced, I was like "of course, yes" and then the media gets on board and now I am wavering. I am going to have to do some reading to make up my mind.

Basically it is counting first nations in our constitution and giving them an advisory role on issues relating to them. which to me is a no brainer to be yes. But the tin foil hat people are saying there is more and I like to look into things in case there is some credibility to it. 

• Thank You 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic