IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 46: Living with the Fallout

Coconut Flan

On 12/4/2023 at 6:55 AM, Cam said:

I’ve seen a few kids wear this kind of clothing at Halloween when they’re dressing up as an old lady, just add a gray curly wig and use a walker for a prop. 

I think they look fine. It looks comfortable, weather appropriate, and no woman, young or old, needs to dress for someone else. 

Neither one of them, to my knowledge, is yapping at other women and telling them what to wear or not wear. Since they aren’t being sanctimonious clothing arbiters to others, I am not comfortable with making fun of their attire. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

On 12/4/2023 at 4:55 AM, Cam said:

I’ve seen a few kids wear this kind of clothing at Halloween when they’re dressing up as an old lady, just add a gray curly wig and use a walker for a prop. 

I can't see all of the black dresses but they look very much like the one that I picked up at the Loft Outlet last year, one that they had a very similar one this year. Having recently been in both a Loft and a Loft Outlet I've been seeing lots of cardigans, both the heavier short ones with the big buttons and the longer ones that may or may not have big pockets. I may be an old lady (52) but I have the black dress and I got some of the long cardigans. In fact I'm wearing a dress cut just like the black dress and a long cardigan today. They are super comfortable and I feel cute.

• Upvote 8

17 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Hannie looks really grown up. I wonder who's dressing her, or whether she's allowed to use Pinterest or the social media appropriate to GYMs. For the longest time she was in the awkward adolescent 'baggy religious slogan t-shirt' phase, now she's all modern modest dress-and-cardigan.

Ashamed for myself that I immediately recognised Praise Helferich Bontrager. I've been here too long.

The black dress, sweater and white sneakers look so old lady to me. Very drab on a young woman. I see nothing modern about it.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cam said:

The black dress, sweater and white sneakers look so old lady to me. Very drab on a young woman. I see nothing modern about it.

It kind of looks like something I’d see on teens around here. Or older women. My observation is that since Covid and kids being out of the public eye for a year + they mostly decided comfort was a big component of what they liked. The first year back was almost all pj bottoms and hoodies. Now it’s more like what these girls are wearing,  or loose pants  and maybe a cropped T or tank, with a chunky sweater or hoodie if it’s cold. They seem to have gotten a head start on the older lady priority of comfort over anything lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Cam said:

really? About 50% of Tiktok is 19-year-olds showing you how to style a chunky cardigan or white sneakers. The dresses are a bit meh - Hannie's looks like it would be nicer worn without the cardigan - but they're a far cry from frumpers. These girls are on a much longer leash style-wise than the older Duggar girls were.

Edited by AprilQuilt
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I honestly don’t know if teens wear what Hannie and Liz are wearing because all the teens I see are always wearing pants or shorts. And if they are dressed up and going to homecoming, they are wearing dresses that are much shorter than fundie girls would be allowed. My niece is 17 and she never wears a dress like that because she loves wearing jeans and an oversized sweater. 

• Upvote 3

I live in a small city that has one high school/junior high. I never see teenage girls wearing sweaters/cardigans. They wear hoodies, either pull-over ones or zipper ones. Many wear tshirts with school or sports logos. They wear jeans, sweat pants or stretch pants. If it’s stretchy leggings, they wear some kind of long shirt or hoodie that covers their butt. 

I never see any wearing a dress for casual wear. For the occasional formal thing like induction into Honor Society, any dress or skirt is well above the knee and often more form fitting with a waist.  No sweaters.

As for shoes, mostly it is Crocs or Converse sneakers in different colors. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 3

The white sneakers are really popular right now. My middle daughter is always wearing what's trendy, and got her masters in a local large city. We often went for concerts (music major), then graduation, and so many of the women wore the white sneakers even with more formal dresses. Hell, she changed into white sneakers for her reception after her wedding in October. At least they are all comfortable. It's a lot different then when I was young and we suffered through heels and hose. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by fluffernutter
  • Upvote 8

On 12/6/2023 at 2:34 PM, AprilQuilt said:

really? About 50% of Tiktok is 19-year-olds showing you how to style a chunky cardigan or white sneakers. The dresses are a bit meh - Hannie's looks like it would be nicer worn without the cardigan - but they're a far cry from frumpers. These girls are on a much longer leash style-wise than the older Duggar girls were.

I work on Capitol Hill with a lot of college-aged interns & young 20-somethings, and chunky cardigans/oversized blazers/Bates Sisters Boutique-style peasanty dresses/white sneakers are everywhere.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I listened to Jill and Derrick interviewed by a podcast “Sounds Like a Cult” and I swear Derrick said JB acted like a pimp when contracting out his adult children on the show. Lol. Pimp Bob.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 8

38 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I listened to Jill and Derrick interviewed by a podcast “Sounds Like a Cult” and I swear Derrick said JB acted like a pimp when contracting out his adult children on the show. Lol. Pimp Bob.

Well, the moniker does fit.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe it. I bet Jim Bob was a bit pimp, a bit control freak.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jill received a Christmas package from her parents. 

(I'm not a native speaker and struggle to understand her speaking. Maybe someone can tell us what she said about her parents? I think she mentioned Mom and Pops.)

Screenshot_20231221_092036_com.instagram.android_edit_1261968141926706.jpg

Edited by flowergirl
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, flowergirl said:

Jill received a Christmas package from her parents. 

(I'm not a native speaker and struggle to understand her speaking. Maybe someone can tell us what she said about her parents? I think she mentioned Mom and Pops.)

She didn't really say anything about her parents, other than that the package was from them. She mostly talked about how much she likes the ramen and that their Indonesian friends (Jonathan and Jenni Hartono) introduced them to it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

Years ago, we were doing one of the meal delivery services for a while, and one meal was ramen. I rolled my eyes, because I believed the stereotype of ramen as a high fat, high sodium staple for cash strapped college students. The ramen we got from the meal service was so good! It was still probably higher in fat and sodium than I would like on a regular basis, but much tastier than the stuff my partner got while we were in college.

• Upvote 7

I wonder what Christmas will be like at the Duggar compound this year. Will Jim Bob be less generous because he’s got to pay for a hopeless case to be advanced to the Supreme Court? Will Anna be there? 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

On 12/21/2023 at 10:14 PM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I wonder what Christmas will be like at the Duggar compound this year. Will Jim Bob be less generous because he’s got to pay for a hopeless case to be advanced to the Supreme Court? Will Anna be there? 

I’m guessing there will be quite a few missing. Anna and her family will probably be in Florida and Josh in prison. Jill and family wont be there. Jinger and family likely wont be there. I am unsure about Justin. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Spiveys and Justin stay in Texas. Tyler will be with his grandparents. Jessa just had the baby so who knows if she will want to go to the Duggar house. She might want to stay home and people can visit them for Christmas. It’s hard to say which married couples will go visit their in laws for Christmas and which will go to the Duggars. 

• Upvote 1

There seems to be a trend of duggars of both genders getting married and then sucking up to their inlaws and distancing themselves from their parents.

Jill's done it, Jinger's done it.  Justin's loving the parental attention he gets from mama Spivey.

Josiah's probably done it.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, imokit said:

There seems to be a trend of duggars of both genders getting married and then sucking up to their inlaws and distancing themselves from their parents.

Jill's done it, Jinger's done it.  Justin's loving the parental attention he gets from mama Spivey.

Josiah's probably done it.

I think it’s just normal when you come from a family with 19 to gravitate towards the family with way less children. Sure it’s probably fun for the kids to go to the Duggar house and play with their cousins. But it’s absolute chaos for all the adults. And it’s not like you’ll actually get to spend much time with your parents. Their attention is on 40 other people. It’s even worse than when you were one of 19 kids. Now at Christmas, you are probably one of 40-50 vying for a scrap of attention. I would rather get together with a smaller family where my children are cherished by their grandparents and you don’t leave with a raging headache..

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 15

• Coconut Flan locked this topic