IGNORED

Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

Would Joe be one encouraging though? I might be behind on the family dynamics

I’m just speculating about this because Sarah worked for him & moved out on her own… I don’t know if Steve was cool with her moving out. If that happened, I could imagine Steve resenting Joe for supporting Sarah. 

Regardless, it’s sad that after the Maxwells always celebrating weddings on their blogs, after how long Sarah served them, they don’t seem to be celebrating this but maybe they’re trying to respect her privacy.  I just think something probably “went down”.

I just watched the video of Sarah being proposed to by Kody on stage at the church in jeans and was shocked… If she could move out alone, wear jeans, I wouldn’t be surprised if she met him by being brave and putting herself out there on dating sites or apps somehow or even brave by going to new places like that church. 

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Bethy said:

All joking aside, I feel your pain. It was only after my grandma passed that I realized how many of her treasured recipes I hadn't gotten from her.

Two of my most treasured possessions are a stack of my maternal grandmother's recipe cards in her handwriting, and a falling-apart ledger that belonged to HER mother with her handwritten recipes starting around 1910. Honestly, I would grab them pretty quickly if we had a fire.  A common notation in my great-grandma's recipes is "butter the size of an egg."  :D  She made a pie that the family all called graham cracker pie, because even though it was a custardy pie in a graham cracker crust, the main reason everyone loved it was because it was like just eating a wedge of sugary, buttery graham cracker goodness.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 18

My grandma’s recipes were never written down, so my mom recreated most of them, measuring as she went, and wrote them down for me. I’m so glad I can make our traditional favorites and share them with my family!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 9

3 minutes ago, Hane said:

My grandma’s recipes were never written down, so my mom recreated most of them, measuring as she went, and wrote them down for me. I’m so glad I can make our traditional favorites and share them with my family!

We had two family recipes that died out with the maker. One grandma made chicken dressing. Not turkey dressing, but chicken. It was more like a pie than typical dressing, wet in the middle, and she grew and dried her own sage to put in it. I've never had anything quite like it except once at a restaurant years ago. They didn't tell us grandma had Alzheimers until it was too late for her to share her recipe. 

The other made chocolate pie. She made it alongside my aunt and one of my sisters on various occasions but for some reason no one has ever been able to make it as good, even following her exact recipe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 10

I used to create recipes to make things taste exactly as I wanted.  Obviously my family got used to that.  In their twenties I started having the kids help me make their favorites and then take over making them.  The recipes still aren't written down, but each kid can make the ones they want.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 5

@Alisamer, the only one we’ve never been able to recreate to my satisfaction is Grandma’s Genoese-style ravioli. 😢

• Upvote 4

When my daughter-in-law said she wanted a very low key bridal shower, we decided to do something with family recipes. My mom, sibs, sib-in-laws, and daughter all contributed recipes that were family favorites or had been served at family events. Along with the recipe, we each wrote up a little explanation or story to provide some context. The bride-to-be got a printed and bound copy and the rest of us got a digital copy. It is such a treasure.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 16

We haven't figured out the chicken dressing but we have managed a dressing for Thanksgiving that the family seems to like just as much. It's a hodgepodge of ideas we threw together that somehow worked! And it's mostly pre-packaged stuff that's just altered to be better which saves a lot of time and work. 

(We mix boxes or bags of pre-made regular dressing and cornbread dressing half and half, add a generous amount of dried sage and some celery salt and a little pepper, cook it in a pot with chicken broth instead of water and with the suggested amount of butter, and when it's a very thick sticky mess put it in a baking pan and stick it in the oven until the top is well browned.)

I am the potato salad maker in my family. Mom makes it more like grandma did, but they like mine a little better apparently. Same recipe, different amounts of things. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if she met him by being brave and putting herself out there on dating sites or apps somehow or even brave by going to new places like that church. 

I would be very surprised if she had started driving hundreds of miles to a new church just to put herself out there. I still suspect that she and Kory had met previously, possibly years earlier, at a conference or one of the Maxwell's dog and pony shows, and they reconnected after Sarah moved out. Unless Chelsy spills the tea we're not likely to ever know.

• Upvote 14

Sarah did so much work on Titus2 over the years—  doing nearly all the work on the blog, writing books, promoting her parents books, doing the bookkeeping, fulfilling orders, and being a poster child for why the Maxwell Way Is Best. Here on FJ she’s been an example of what’s wrong with her parent’s ideas. If I were her I wouldn’t want a blog post about my wedding — just my privacy and a chance to have a day that was finally about me and my groom and a new life together. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 4

:) Polite Notice :) 

Its been more than my pleasure to share Sarah Rae’s wedding photos with … 60? 70 of you?  GLAD TO HAVE HELPED SPREAD THE JOYFUL NEWS!

But as of 7:30 pm (central time zone in USA) tonight, Friday, I won’t be able to reply with any sort of promptness for the t three days at least. 

Anybody who’s received the photos csn save them to their photo files, then copy, paste & send them to requesters.  I won’t be at all offended if anybody wants to pick up the pleasant duty.  MAJORLY SEVERE THANKS again to the unmatchable @Captain Obvious who was able to start this whole happy viewing party!

As the body language guy says, “Much love, and bliss!”

• Upvote 10
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 13

4 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I still suspect that she and Kory had met previously, possibly years earlier, at a conference or one of the Maxwell's dog and pony shows, and they reconnected after Sarah moved out.

This is plausible. 

I am also reminded of the oldest Serven daughter, Rebecca, whose marriage to her eventual husband, Steven Loomis, was delayed by several years because her father wouldn't allow Steven to court her the first time he asked about it. Rebecca would have been about 25 then and Steven maybe a bit older, so we're not talking about two kids wanting to get hitched.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

My paternal grandmother had stopped cooking by the time I knew her, and passed when I was 10, so I’ve heard of her excellent baking and cooking skills but never tasted them.

My maternal grandmother used a local bakery and a local deli that have since closed, so I can’t recreate her special occasion food. And I don’t recall which brand of frozen dinner she preferred so no chance there, either, but I don’t mind 🙂

But I know I’ll always make my moms sour cream chocolate cake for all the birthdays we ever celebrate, and her Swedish pancakes. And I’m capable of making many of her other recipes I just eat like 3 things due to sensory processing disorder so I don’t. It’s funny how family tastes change, though. For a good 10 year period everyone (except me) loved this particular pasta salad recipe but then my SIL made a chopped kale salad that has taken over family gatherings, especially since Trader Joe’s now sells pre-cleaned, pre-chopped kale which makes it all much easier.

• Upvote 7

Recipes.  A darling young woman of my acquaintance makes 5x7” recipe cards from your recipe, designed with her illustrations.  You approve the final design, pay her for the file, and she sends (or you can send) to your nearest Walgreen’s and voila! a keepsake that is also lovely art for your kitchen. 
i have mine in magnetized faux lucite pockets on my fridge. Sister JB has hers in lucite-like frames on her kitchen counter.  
PM me if interested and I’ll see if she’d still doing these. 
I would include images if I could figure out how …. I forget what she charges but in true artist form, it’s not enough!!! :D 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Re: recipes. Last winter, I got a hold of my grandmother's recipe box. There are literally hundreds -- 592, to be exact -- of recipes:749232134_GrandmasRecipeBox.thumb.jpg.fa3c5513376f0e7cb535accfc687610c.jpg

Many are family recipes and others come from lifelong friends; she belonged to many church groups and clubs throughout her life. There are also many recipes clipped from the local newspaper and some are pages from what looks like a 1920s-1930s church cookbook. The majority of recipes date between the 1930s and the 1980s. There are repeats as in 3 versions of 24-hour salad but most are unique. I recognize many from my childhood including some all time favorites: her watermelon pickles were something to come home for as were her dixie rolls, cream cheese brownies, and rhubarb pies. 

Can you tell I'm partial to desserts?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 36

Here's hoping that both Mary and Anna have a great year back at college.  Also that their experience has opened up their ideas and thoughts for the future and how they can contribute to their communities in ways other than just being a fundie wife and mom.  

I can see Mary being later focused on that boyfriend and wanting to seal the deal by getting her "MRS" degree and not have a career outside of the home which would most likely not be win Kansas!  

I have more faith in Anna expanding her horizons and hope she seriously considers getting a degree (like in education or business) that would allow her to have a fun career outside the home if she wants one. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Re: recipes. Last winter, I got a hold of my grandmother's recipe box. There are literally hundreds -- 592, to be exact -- of recipes:749232134_GrandmasRecipeBox.thumb.jpg.fa3c5513376f0e7cb535accfc687610c.jpg

Many are family recipes and others come from lifelong friends; she belonged to many church groups and clubs throughout her life. There are also many recipes clipped from the local newspaper and some are pages from what looks like a 1920s-1930s church cookbook. The majority of recipes date between the 1930s and the 1980s. There are repeats as in 3 versions of 24-hour salad but most are unique. I recognize many from my childhood including some all time favorites: her watermelon pickles were something to come home for as were her dixie rolls, cream cheese brownies, and rhubarb pies. 

Can you tell I'm partial to desserts?

That is pure gold to me. I'd rather have a box like that--especially from a relative--than anything of monetary value.

I have to know--what are "glamorized potatoes"? I see that one peeking out and now I have to know.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

I wonder how many other students at the college will be 30 in 2 months. Do you think they celebrate Halloween now? Or is it still just Anna's birthday and not that evil day?

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 1

1 hour ago, TheJewAmongUs said:

I wonder how many other students at the college will be 30 in 2 months. Do you think they celebrate Halloween now? Or is it still just Anna's birthday and not that evil day?

I think she has had so little peer interaction that socially and emotionally she's still in her early 20's. It probably has never dawned on her classmates that she's a few years older than they are.

• Upvote 16
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I think she has had so little peer interaction that socially and emotionally she's still in her early 20's. It probably has never dawned on her classmates that she's a few years older than they are.

And I believe there are graduate students at ABC, so it’s possible there are students closer to Anna’s age. Heck even Mary at 25 (26?) is a little older than the average undergrad. 

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I have to know--what are "glamorized potatoes"? I see that one peeking out and now I have to know.

Alas, they are not what you might hope they would be -- more of a potato casserole. 

169193293_GlamorizedPotatoes.jpg.63796b52bb9653308ca5fbf87107ee18.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9

The youngest sister literally blossomed at school. Both sisters did, actually, you can see the genuine happiness in their faces, but Mary seems to have found her own style and it suits her so well. She's beautiful. Not to leg hump, but I used to dread opening this thread because the girls had nothing going on for them and lived such sad lives, but look at them now.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic